Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Michael Ojemudia

There's an interesting rumor about why we drafted Michael Ojemudia. I thought he was a reach and some local media have said he fits Fangio's scheme as a zone CB well. But someone also said Ojemudia was drafted to play more of a "S" in a Will Parks like roll.

Ojemudia is an interesting prospect, and you could see him making that transition. I don't know if his tackling ability for the safety position is ideal, for a big man he struggles to get guys down in space and is very inconsistent, but he is a safe cover man who rarely allowed explosive plays over the top. He also has great positional awareness in terms of getting setup, leveraging routes, understanding zone combinations, etc. but he is always that tick late breaking on the play and anticipating the ball arriving. I think he was a reach, but he will compete for playing time this year and profiles as a potential solid safety, or decent number 2 corner in the right scheme long-term. He could develop into a solid man cover corner with his length and the minimal flashes he has had doing so when asked at Iowa.

Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    There's an interesting rumor about why we drafted Michael Ojemudia. I thought he was a reach and some local media have said he fits Fangio's scheme as a zone CB well. But someone also said Ojemudia was drafted to play more of a "S" in a Will Parks like roll.
    It may have to do with the amount of zone Fangio calls. Nickel has become the new base. When adding an extra DB, one way is to add a Corner. Another is to add a Safety. 3-3-5 and 4-2-5 are base defenses that use three Safeties. Denver's roster has several Corners who seem like Corner/Safety types of DBs. Zone coverage requires alignment, drop, read and break on the ball. I think Fangio has had much input on what he is looking for in DBs. He may want his outside guys to be similar to Safeties while the Slot defenders may be more agile.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

I like Ojemudias patienceís to stay home and disrupt any play that the opponent attempts to run through his zone.

Heís a smart football player with good football awareness if you ask me. I donít see him as big a reach as everyone else, at worst heíll be a very solid defender for Denver! Good pick IMO!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    I like Ojemudias patience’s to stay home and disrupt any play that the opponent attempts to run through his zone.

He’s a smart football player with good football awareness if you ask me. I don’t see him as big a reach as everyone else, at worst he’ll be a very solid defender for Denver! Good pick IMO!
    He's a mechanical engineering major at Iowa.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

I think he will a starter at CB on the outside, opposite Bouye, with Callahan(health assumed) coming in as the nickel.

He has a wealth of experience in zone, doing things similar to what Fangio will ask of him here, and successfully. His lack of history in man coverage caused him to slip in draft rankings, but his scheme fit cannot be denied. I think he will find success earlier than most think and be considered a major steal by this time next year.

Ojemudiaís football knowledge canít be understated. Going back and watching him Iím not sure I ever saw him execute a speed turn and not be in position. That can be very risky as you lose all sight of the WR and a lot of CBs will use it and be 10 yards away from the WR as he runs a comeback route. That tells me he watches a ton of film and he knows exactly what the rest of his defense is doing and he trusts them to do what theyíre supposed to do. This is what made Chris Harris so good during his time here.

For a young CB to already have that instilled in him is great and from everything Iíve read on him he seems humble and hungry. Heís going to give Bausby everything he can handle for that boundary CB spot. If he doesnít win it I expect him and Trey Marshall to have a great indirect battle during the season for the TE matchup spot. Will the defense be better with Trey Marshall at SS and Jackson as the matchup guy or will they keep Jackson at S and bring in Ojemudia? Yiadom actually did improve down the stretch after Harris was benched and he comes up in run support so he may actually be a dark horse for that nickel safety spot.

Being a Husker Fan I can assure you he didn't struggle in the NU vs Iowa games the last 2 years tackling or covering. Fangio was quoted in yesterdays article believing he is a good tackler.

He certainly big enough to be a Safety coverage guy. I loved this pick. Ojemudia has been Iowa's best DB the last 2 years. He is a really, really smart kid too as Samz and Samparnell pointed out earlier. These are the kids you want on your roster.

I believe Klis said the plan was for Bouye and Oj to be the starting outside CBs, and Callahan to be the full time slot guy. It sounded like it was OJs spot to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    I believe Klis said the plan was for Bouye and Oj to be the starting outside CBs, and Callahan to be the full time slot guy. It sounded like it was OJs spot to lose.
    Love it. I really believe he will excel.

That also means we got 3-5 starters from this draft. Jeudy, Cushenberry, and Ojemudia. Then if 11 personnel, Hamler would be considered a starter, and I'm assuming AOK is the #2 TE, making him a starter in 12/22.

Thatís probably the plan but Bausby isnít going to just hand the spot over. If heís right mentally I expect him to win that spot ultimately, he breaks on the ball extremely quickly and thatís a huge asset in zone coverage which should result in turnovers.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Thatís probably the plan but Bausby isnít going to just hand the spot over. If heís right mentally I expect him to win that spot ultimately, he breaks on the ball extremely quickly and thatís a huge asset in zone coverage which should result in turnovers.
    Ya I liked Bausby last year, we will need at least 4 anyways, so I think it will be AJ, OJ, Bausby, and Callahan will be the guys. I think Yiadom will be on the outside looking in.

Ya I liked Bausby last year, we will need at least 4 anyways, so I think it will be AJ, OJ, Bausby, and Callahan will be the guys. I think Yiadom will be on the outside looking in.
    I think we will end up keeping 6 with Yiadom and Dawson rounding out the depth chart. Probably go light at S with the thought of OJ or possibly Yiadom filling it out.

I think Yiadom will make it, his confidence was shot early last season after Waller abused him (heís a matchup nightmare) but he finished the season relatively better when he wasnít running into Justin Simmons. Heís an able and willing tackler and contributes on special teams. Heís probably better suited for a safety role where he doesnít have to turn his back to the ball nearly as much. Marshall, Dawson, and Yiadom will likely be key special teams guys for coverage situations. Davontae Harris is the guy I think is on the outside looking in, but heís a capable player as well. I think the CB group is a lot better than many think and will surprise a lot of people this year.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    I think we will end up keeping 6 with Yiadom and Dawson rounding out the depth chart. Probably go light at S with the thought of OJ or possibly Yiadom filling it out.

I think Yiadom will make it, his confidence was shot early last season after Waller abused him (heís a matchup nightmare) but he finished the season relatively better when he wasnít running into Justin Simmons. Heís an able and willing tackler and contributes on special teams. Heís probably better suited for a safety role where he doesnít have to turn his back to the ball nearly as much. Marshall, Dawson, and Yiadom will likely be key special teams guys for coverage situations. Davontae Harris is the guy I think is on the outside looking in, but heís a capable player as well. I think the CB group is a lot better than many think and will surprise a lot of people this year.
    I think Essang Bassey will make it, so that last spot will be interesting.

I have:

LCB Bouye, Yiadom
    RCB Bausby, Ojemudia (pecking order TBD)
    Slot Callahan, Dawson
    S Simmons, Jackson, Marshall

Think we 10 DB and Harris sticks as a CB/S hybrid. Bassey goes PS and is groomed for slot duty in the future.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots