Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Decision That Had To Be Made

Having seen the schedule, it made me think more about a decision that was made with just 5 games left in our season. You see, this schedule is not that easy, on the surface anyway. Games that appear tough to me now....twice against KC, and four other divisional games that must be taken very seriously. Then there's The Saints, Buffalo, The Bucs, The Pats, and others. Now, one game at a time, and trust in what you got, not what they appear to be.

Lets step back to last fall, when many of us were begging to see our young gun rookie QB get a chance. We were out of contention, and lets be fair, we really did not have a franchise looking QB in the fold...other than potentially Mr. Lock. The logic made sense to those of us who wanted the change to be made....see what the kid has got, and get as much assessment time as possible before the offseason, because otherwise it might be back to QB square one. And we can't waste another year or two, or whatever, trying to solidify the most important position on the field.

Had we not played him, or even just for a game or two and not got a solid indication of his starter potential, who knows? Would we have tried to trade way up, or would we have taken our chances on one of the less "valued" draftees, hoping and waiting to find out if they had what it takes? And trading up would cost us big time in yet another QB currency exchange. I just can't imagine us trading up for Burrow or Tua, maybe same with Herbert. Further, there are no guarantees on draft picks, and if nothing else, we should not expect a quick road to success. Even Burrow may struggle this year.

To be open minded....had we not made the QB change, we may have fallen lower in the standings, thereby giving us a better draft spot. But we will never know.

Then of course, the vets that became available. Bridgewater perhaps, Dalton, Winston, Newton. I like Teddy, and he's the only one I would have even considered as a starter, but why not go young? Why keep going the older vet route? Why not go with youth AND talent?

What we do know is, our team made the decision that had to be made. Five games of Lock. What we needed to see. Not all inclusive but quite positive and very revealing of his capabilities....in the BIG Leagues. Made our offseason easier. Odds are FA and The Draft did not waste much time in terms of QB acquisition. We have other needs.

And having seen the new schedule, whether it be as tough or not as tough as it initially appears....it does not look daunting at all, knowing we have our QB in place, and armed with new talent...and a really good team!! This is much more than Lock, but QBs are a very important asset!

I was one of the ones saying we did not need to play Lock and looking back I am very glad we did.

It started with Lock doing the right things during his injury recovery. I would like to see something bigger on what he was doing because I have only herd bits and pieces in interviews about other things. Lock ensured he was ready when his thumb was ready. Many people including Lock have said this helped when Lock got into NFL action.

Was also nice to see the Broncos go into an off season with the mind set the QB is taken care of. I think we will reap the rewards of being able to build around a QB1.

This year we will get Lock vs Brady, Lock vs Brees, Lock vs Big Ben and Lock vs Mahomes x2.

People were asking me this morning why am I in a good mood....answer is easy...I saw the Broncos schedule
    A good plan put into motion today is better than the ideal plan that is always coming sometime in the future.

When your starting QB is 34, coming off of 4 straight seasons where he was both injured as well as bottom 10 QB in terms of production, it was a no-brainer that Lock should play. Even before the 2019 season started, that much was clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    When your starting QB is 34, coming off of 4 straight seasons where he was both injured as well as bottom 10 QB in terms of production, it was a no-brainer that Lock should play. Even before the 2019 season started, that much was clear.
    It frustrated me to no end that fans were arguing that Lock should sit for not one, but two years, and have Flacco start for 2019 and 2020. Flacco was done and it was a waste of time and resources to have him here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    I was one of the ones saying we did not need to play Lock and looking back I am very glad we did.

It started with Lock doing the right things during his injury recovery. I would like to see something bigger on what he was doing because I have only herd bits and pieces in interviews about other things. Lock ensured he was ready when his thumb was ready. Many people including Lock have said this helped when Lock got into NFL action.

Was also nice to see the Broncos go into an off season with the mind set the QB is taken care of. I think we will reap the rewards of being able to build around a QB1.

This year we will get Lock vs Brady, Lock vs Brees, Lock vs Big Ben and Lock vs Mahomes x2.

People were asking me this morning why am I in a good mood....answer is easy...I saw the Broncos schedule
    Good on you H! Folks don't always admit when they might have got it wrong. This is one I think I got right. Truth is, I was not a great fan the last few seasons, though I tried. I did not like the QB decisions, and I was wondering about the Oline, and what appeared to be a little neglect. So it got hard for me. But when we drafted Lock, and Risner, side by side, it was the turnaround in our fate, in my opinion. In fact, if Fant turns out, it will be one heck of a draft haul!

So I admit that I was losing a little faith, and even critiqued Elway's decisions.

Guilty as charged.

I for one, never criticized Elway....ever....{ he is and always will be my super hero }. Did he make mistakes....absolutely freaking yes......But I always have known that he looks at himself very hard and attempts to improve. I don't need to re-hash everything.....recruited Manning......created a close to historic offense.....realized defense wins championships and quickly changed direction, put together a close to historic defense and ultimately brought the trophy home.....but then he drafted Bolles.....:-( ......but then he started drafting captains that had proven production.....everything. He was the same way as a player as he is a GM. Ultra competitive....uber competitive.

Now....I totally wanted Lock...me and Papapawn........but papa wanted Drew to play......and this is where I admit my oversight......I wanted Drew to sit for not one but two and potentially three years as I thought ....foolish me .....I thought that Baltimore QB was going to show some life and keep us at least somewhat competitive. Boy was I wrong.......but good for Drew Lock as he proved he could handle the big league when given the chance.....and I gotta believe he impressed everyone . Wasn't that one of the knocks on him, that he needed time to learn how to read defenses. Man I am so stoked for this season......and that is really an understatement. GO BRONCOS

If I may ask, just for conversation purposes....say we did not see much of Lock last year? What would have been the offseason QB plan? Would we have gone for a draft pick? A higher one or lower one? Maybe another vet?

This is where I get confused. Without seeing Lock in some sustained action, I would suspect we would have gone for yet another vet, or a draft pick, but hopefully not for a few rounds. I just don't know for sure.

Here's the good news....we got a good look at Drew, and did not have to think too hard about it!

Now.....had Drew not looked too good after 5 games....well now, that's a whole other issue!

Not sure about kick coverage, but I see more talent spread around a team than I have in a coon's age. No, I don't know how long a coon typically lives. But the defense will not have to carry the offense. How all these guys gel under the situation is an issue. The Chefs return an intact team which is a concern. Still, I don't think they can handle our new offense.
    Is there an app that let's me know the minute I can buy a Buccaneers game ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Good on you H! Folks don't always admit when they might have got it wrong. This is one I think I got right. Truth is, I was not a great fan the last few seasons, though I tried. I did not like the QB decisions, and I was wondering about the Oline, and what appeared to be a little neglect. So it got hard for me. But when we drafted Lock, and Risner, side by side, it was the turnaround in our fate, in my opinion. In fact, if Fant turns out, it will be one heck of a draft haul!

So I admit that I was losing a little faith, and even critiqued Elway's decisions.

Guilty as charged.
    Think there was a lot of good reasons to question the player and coach decisions lately.

We will be back on the winning train again in 2020
    A good plan put into motion today is better than the ideal plan that is always coming sometime in the future.

When we got Flacco and then Lock in the draft I saw Drew learning from Joe (SB champion and SB MVP) for the next 1 or 2 seasons, as Mahommes did with Alex Smith, saving distances. But with the 2019 season started, Joe Flacco seemed done to me, he played without desire, and that´s why Lock deserved to start.

Now I´m very glad we did it, starting Drew Lock, give us the possibility to focus on this draft in other key positions, without the need to lose picks or players to get our franchise quarterback.

Time will tell.
    5945 miles away can´t stop this passion

Quote Originally Posted by Broncosojia View Post
    It frustrated me to no end that fans were arguing that Lock should sit for not one, but two years, and have Flacco start for 2019 and 2020. Flacco was done and it was a waste of time and resources to have him here.
    I am guilty of wanting him to sit last year. Mainly because of the injury and I didn’t think he was anything special in preseason.
    In hindsight I am very happy Elway and Fangio brought him off IR and he got to play. I am looking forward to him starting this season as the starter day 1.

Flacco I would have never traded for!!!!! That said, I did buy into him running our offense and being an upgrade over Keenum. I was wrong about both as was Elway.

Gonna leave 2016-2019 in the rear view and look foreword to a 2020 and the beginning to hopefully a new era in Bronco football.

Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    I am guilty of wanting him to sit last year. Mainly because of the injury and I didn’t think he was anything special in preseason.
    In hindsight I am very happy Elway and Fangio brought him off IR and he got to play. I am looking forward to him starting this season as the starter day 1.

Flacco I would have never traded for!!!!! That said, I did buy into him running our offense and being an upgrade over Keenum. I was wrong about both as was Elway.

Gonna leave 2016-2019 in the rear view and look foreword to a 2020 and the beginning to hopefully a new era in Bronco football.
    Just read this back and sounds like a bunch of excuses!
    Let me edit it, I was an idiot and bought into Flacco and wanted Lock to sit

Quick reminder of the nearly identical stats through first five starts: Trevor Siemian versus Drew Lock

Record: 4-1. 4-1
    Comp/Att. 98/151. 100/156
    TDs. 7 7
    INTs. 3. 3
    Yards. 1054. 1020

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
    Quick reminder of the nearly identical stats through first five starts: Trevor Siemian versus Drew Lock

TDs. 7 7
    INTs. 3. 3
    Yards. 1054. 1020
    Interesting. Think this is a great example of how similar stats do not tell the whole story. Not sure if anyone ever saw franchise QB in Siemian.

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post

TDs. 7 7
    INTs. 3. 3
    Yards. 1054. 1020
    I see this posted in the other thread. Not sure though that it fits this one closely, given it's about a decision that was made by John Elway, minus Trevor on the team. If you are saying, be cautious, that's fine. But I don't see these 2 players at all the same, nor did Elway want to put his eggs in the TS basket. Lock looks to be a leader, has a big gun, and barely got his feet wet before making an impact. And compare how the team was doing before him, how the sacks came way down, and the pics under control. Yes, some basic similarities, but that's about it for me. Lock looks and has shown evidence of being the guy. Trevor never looked like the guy to me.