Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: McTelvin Agim

McTelvin Agim

I know we've been giving our draft offense a lot of love, but there was some great upside value picked with Agim, Strnad and Tuszka.

When I look at Agim highlights, I can't help but say "this guy penetrates like a beast up the middle, how is he a 3rd rounder". He has that Ed Oliver factor in his game. There must be so many weaknesses in his game that the highlights do not show for him to fall this much.

I read a backstory on Agim that he was a 5 star recruit out of high school. When he committed to Arkansas (his home state) it was a shock, as Arkansas hadn't landed a top 10 nationwide recruit in 11 years. When I look back at most of the high school scouting boards for that year, Agim is consistently second behind only Nick Bosa for DE's. He is a part of a top 10 class that includes defenders like Ed Oliver, Rashan Gary, Dexter Lawrence, Derrick Brown and Jeffrey Simmons. In fact, there was only one front 7 defender other than Agim that was in the top 20 of this class that wasn't a 1st round NFL draft pick.

Story below:

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...sas-razorbacks

I think the consensus is that he kind of got lost in a poor defensive program at Arkansas where it was hard to fulfill the promise he had.

I initially thought that Agim would be used sparingly while we groom him in 2020. I'm starting to believe that this guys talent will quickly adapt to great coaching and will become a force in the second half of the 2020 season. I think we landed some serious 1st round talent.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by MarshallMoss; 05-14-2020 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallMoss View Post
    I know we've been giving our draft offense a lot of love, but there was some great upside value picked with Agim, Strnad and Tuszka.

When I look at Agim highlights, I can't help but say "this guy penetrates like a beast up the middle, how is he a 3rd rounder". He has that Ed Oliver factor in his game. There must be so many weaknesses in his game that the highlights do not show for him to fall this much.

I read a backstory on Agim that he was a 5 star recruit out of high school. When he committed to Arkansas (his home state) it was a shock, as Arkansas hadn't landed a top 10 nationwide recruit in 11 years. When I look back at most of the high school scouting boards for that year, Agim is consistently second behind only Nick Bosa for DE's. He is a part of a top 10 class that includes defenders like Ed Oliver, Rashan Gary, Dexter Lawrence, Derrick Brown and Jeffrey Simmons. In fact, there was only one front 7 defender other than Agim that was in the top 20 of this class that wasn't a 1st round NFL draft pick.

Story below:

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...sas-razorbacks

I think the consensus is that he kind of got lost in a poor defensive program at Arkansas where it was hard to fulfill the promise he had.

I initially thought that Agim would be used sparingly while we groom him in 2020. I'm starting to believe that this guys talent will quickly adapt to great coaching and will become a force in the second half of the 2020 season. I think we landed some serious 1st round talent.

Thoughs?
    The more I read about this young man the more excited I am we got him for a 3rd round pick. If he comes in and accepts coaching and works his tail off he could seriously turn heads at times this season. Up the middle pass rush is a killer to opponents. Agim looks pretty solid in run D as well.
    Last edited by WYBRONCO; 05-14-2020 at 01:19 PM.

Agim was rated as a mid-round sleeper prospect in this draft class along with Ojemudia and Strnad. I was surprised when researching Agim after we drafted him that he was a highly-touted 5-star recruit coming into Arkansas, so the talent was clearly there.

Itís unfortunate that he didnít really develop with the Razorbacks due to their poor program like you mentioned. Arkansas found themselves behind early and often, preventing Agim and others from showing off their pass rush prowess consistently as opposing teams with the lead would go conservative and run the ball to finish out games.

An immediate tool that stands out from watching Agim is his explosive first step. He gets off the line so quick and violently engages the opposing blocker. Like you said, he ďpenetrates like a beastĒ. Agim reminds me a ton of Javon Kinlaw in this aspect. He is, however, nowhere close to Kinlaw in terms of play strength and technique.

If he went to Alabama or LSU, he would have been a 1st or 2nd round pick without a doubt. I donít know the Arkansas coaching staff, but itís evident that they didnít maximize Agimís potential or put him in a position to succeed like another smaller program (UH) did for Ed Oliver. Fortunately for Agim, he comes in to an ideal situation to grow his game and refine his technique with our beloved, awesome DL coach Bill Kollar. Neither is Agim under any pressure to play right awayó as Casey and Harris will be the starters and Jones will be the main rotational player on the DL. I think Agim and Walker will battle it out for the remaining defensive reps. Walker is entering a contract year so he is going to be on the hot seat in 2020 to build on his promise from last year. Both Agim and Walker are natural pass-rushing 3Ts, so it will be a fierce competition all TC and preseason for those last few DL spots. Not to mention Joel Heath, Christian Covington, and others.

Iím pretty excited about him actually. I think he can develop into a very good player.

He was a potential based pick who was taken 2 rounds too early in my opinion. I don't see much substance beyond the odd athletic play he makes against inferior competition. He has quick feet and can get off the ball which I guess can't be taught, but I am expecting him to be inactive most of the season and contributing very little in the short term. Jones was raw last year but was much more refined as a pass rusher, Agim is just raw in general. If he has the right attitude to sitting on the bench and accepting coaching, he could develop into a solid player in a few years.

The thing that gets overlooked with this pick is that he converted from DE to DT, so thereís a learning curve that he had to adjust to. And seeing how he improved from the season to when he replaced Kinlaw at the Senior Bowl, thatís where his stock really rose around the league.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    The thing that gets overlooked with this pick is that he converted from DE to DT, so thereís a learning curve that he had to adjust to. And seeing how he improved from the season to when he replaced Kinlaw at the Senior Bowl, thatís where his stock really rose around the league.
    That's a really good point about the senior bowl time replacing Kinlaw.

It really seems that Vic and Elway got 2 out of the 3 guys they really wanted in the 3rd round (with Cushenberry being a nice consolation prize to Hennessey). That almost never happens. I could hear it in Vic's interviews how much he really wanted Michael Ojemudia. It seems that senior bowl played a big part in falling in love with these guys.

Iím excited to see what Fangio can do with Agim, Ojemudia and Strnad. Itís easy to overlook these guys with our offensive picks. But these are all guys that seem to have solid physical tools that just need some good coaching. They will have as good as it gets with the D guru Fangio.

Agim with good coaching and time in the weight room could be the steal of the 2020 draft in a few years. His explosiveness off the snap is unreal.

Jones last year and Agim this year could end up under the radar really good picks for the d-line. I'm really glad we have some good defensive coaches in here. Get our young defensive guys plenty of opportunity to develop.
    Eternal Broncos Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by Banner29 View Post
    Iím excited to see what Fangio can do with Agim, Ojemudia and Strnad. Itís easy to overlook these guys with our offensive picks. But these are all guys that seem to have solid physical tools that just need some good coaching. They will have as good as it gets with the D guru Fangio.

Agim with good coaching and time in the weight room could be the steal of the 2020 draft in a few years. His explosiveness off the snap is unreal.
    Tangent note: I'm excited to see Justin Simmons' progress and stats most.
    He'll be fresh after a solid year, playing on the tag, in a familiar D with added DB depth.
    I'm expecting a Miller-like SB MVP season from him.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    He was a potential based pick who was taken 2 rounds too early in my opinion. I don't see much substance beyond the odd athletic play he makes against inferior competition. He has quick feet and can get off the ball which I guess can't be taught, but I am expecting him to be inactive most of the season and contributing very little in the short term. Jones was raw last year but was much more refined as a pass rusher, Agim is just raw in general. If he has the right attitude to sitting on the bench and accepting coaching, he could develop into a solid player in a few years.
    They lost by an average of 22.5 points per game against power 5 programs and lost to Colorado State by 21. There arenít many splash plays to be made by an interior DL on that kind of team.

To add on, John Chavisí defenses underachieve and donít take advantage of his DL talent like they should (besides Sam Montgomery imo). At each of his previous stops there was a jump in play after he was fired.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoooJohnson View Post
    They lost by an average of 22.5 points per game against power 5 programs and lost to Colorado State by 21. There arenít many splash plays to be made by an interior DL on that kind of team.

To add on, John Chavisí defenses underachieve and donít take advantage of his DL talent like they should (besides Sam Montgomery imo). At each of his previous stops there was a jump in play after he was fired.
    This has zero to do with the individual tape put up that showed Agim is very raw, and probably not ready to play in the immediate future. With good coaching he could be great as he does have some unique and impressive tools, but he is raw, and the score lines and teams played don't mean jack to what I said in the comment you quoted.

Super explosive with flashes of the perfect tech your looking for. Heís just needs more consistency with that tech but it does show up on tape. He has a little of that explosiveness you canít teach from interior DL.

This has zero to do with the individual tape put up that showed Agim is very raw, and probably not ready to play in the immediate future. With good coaching he could be great as he does have some unique and impressive tools, but he is raw, and the score lines and teams played don't mean jack to what I said in the comment you quoted.
    I could see a very similar road as Jones from last season. We may not see much of him earlier in the year or just on passing downs and as the season progresses he works his way into a bigger role through performance or injury. Either way, I see an instant upgrade over Walker.

Agim has some raw skills that I canít wait to see in games. But Iím not so quick to call him an instant upgrade over Walker.

There is a transition or adjustment to the pro game that takes time. Walker has made it. He had to be a more well rounded player, same as expect Agim to have to learn. Professional olinemen eat up one trick ponies.

I think Agim has a role on the team. Putting him into obvious passing downs and simplifying his responsibilities by asking him to just ďgoĒ will help him. But Dline is pretty deep and should be competitive for those final depth spots. Will be interesting to see who earns those roster spots.

I like the defensive potential of this draft with Agim, Tuszka and Strnad. None expected to start or have major roles. But offer depth and situational versatility. On paper they look promising. We will see how that translates to the field.