Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Ozzy Newsome did have 2 SB wins in his 23 years as GM and overall a good GM. But in his first 4 seasons as GM they had a losing record 4-12, 6-9-1, 6-10, 8-8 and then won the SB in 2000 season. Made the playoffs 10 seasons in his 23 years with 2 SB wins… 7 losing seasons and 3, 8-8 seasons during his time as GM.

I do think Elway will decide when he is done as a GM.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Not to try to overly influence, but even though it may not have been his fault, Ozzie only made the playoffs once in his 5 years with Cleveland as an Exec, and his next 4 in Baltimore did not include one playoff visit....with 3 losing seasons and one at 500. Therefore, what Elway has done in his first 9 years as a GM is much, much better.... no matter how you slice it.
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    Ozzy Newsome did have 2 SB wins in his 23 years as GM and overall a good GM. But in his first 4 seasons as GM they had a losing record 4-12, 6-9-1, 6-10, 8-8 and then won the SB in 2000 season. Made the playoffs 10 seasons in his 23 years with 2 SB wins… 7 losing seasons and 3, 8-8 seasons during his time as GM.

I do think Elway will decide when he is done as a GM.
    Same page dude!

Absolutely without a doubt! Ole' #7 is a true NFL FOOTBALL GOD!!!!!

Ridiculous thread.

Ozzie Newsome drafted 31 Pro Bowlers, 15 First Team All Pros, and three Hall of Famers (plus Suggs and Yanda will probably be in Canton within a decade).

Elway’s drafted just four Pro Bowlers (one of whom didn’t even make the PB until he left Denver) and just ONE All Pro (Von).

Soon we may have to add another Bronco/Standford player turned GM John Lynch to the list. He's done a great job with the 9ers and will probably be in the HOF as a player in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
    Ridiculous thread.

Ozzie Newsome drafted 31 Pro Bowlers, 15 First Team All Pros, and three Hall of Famers (plus Suggs and Yanda will probably be in Canton within a decade).

Elway’s drafted just four Pro Bowlers (one of whom didn’t even make the PB until he left Denver) and just ONE All Pro (Von).
    And with all that he only built 2 Super Bowl winning teams.

Ridiculous thread.

And as a player Elway played in 5 Super Bowls including beating Newsome and the Browns 3 times in the AFC Championship game. Newsome never played in a Super Bowl. You're leaving out this other part of the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    I agree...all those individual player accolades but only 2 Super Bowls...

I am more impressed with a GM able to do well in the playoffs without all the individual player accolades myself.

Ridiculous thread.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    And as a player Elway played in 5 Super Bowls including beating Newsome and the Browns 3 times in the AFC Championship game. Newsome never played in a Super Bowl. You're leaving out this other part of the equation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    I agree...all those individual player accolades but only 2 Super Bowls...

I am more impressed with a GM able to do well in the playoffs without all the individual player accolades myself.
    Elway has been an Exec/GM for 9 years, whereas Newsome for 28. Same number of SB appearances. In his first 9 seasons Elway made the playoffs 5 times including 2 SB appearances, while Newsome only made the playoffs once (no SB appearances). Sure, Newsome's career as an Exec is better, partly due to longevity, whereas Elway was the more important player, plus he had a hand in 7 of our 8 SB appearances. Newsome has 2 including as a player and Exec.

I like Ozzie. He was a great TE and after a slow start, became a respected/successful GM. That's why this is a close competition thus far. But if Elway stays as GM for 5 or more years, I am convinced he will have the better overall career.....therefore the best player/GM in NFL history.
    Last edited by CanDB; 05-16-2020 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbodog View Post
    Great post Can Man. Imagine how different Denver Bronco history would be if Elway never came to Denver in 1983.

And he stayed! Too Cool!
    Imagine if he had become a Raider as they were one of the strong candidats as well!
    Now that would have been depressing!

Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    Soon we may have to add another Bronco/Standford player turned GM John Lynch to the list. He's done a great job with the 9ers and will probably be in the HOF as a player in the future.
    Lynch is definitely in the short list. I can see him being a top level GM when it's all over. With a SB win, and with the playing career he had, he will be right up there. For him to be the best ever will require some long term playoff success plus at least one or two championships, in my opinion. He had a great playing career, but again, Elway will have a distinct edge in that aspect of the game, therefore he will have to be more successful as a GM to be in the final discussion.
    Last edited by CanDB; 05-16-2020 at 09:15 AM.

Bronco fan first but Elway is not the goat. It took a run game to get him over the hump with a W when it counts the most on Super Bowl Sunday.

Montana and Brady should only be argued for the on field GOAT QB

Quote Originally Posted by rst08tierney View Post
    Bronco fan first but Elway is not the goat. It took a run game to get him over the hump with a W when it counts the most on Super Bowl Sunday.

Montana and Brady should only be argued for the on field GOAT QB
    Can I ask....are you just referring to his role as a player, or that of the Player/Exec? Appears like it. I agree that he is not the greatest QB of all time, but he's worthy of being recognized as one of the best ever. But given time, I see him as the best Player/GM in NFL history, and that would be an amazing GOAT scenario. How many people can be known for such an impressive career, not to mention his business dealings.

I am forever grateful for what John Elway has done for our team!
    He has been the GOAT for the Denver Broncos!!!!
    I don't really care about any other NFL team, so Ole' #7 is The Greatest Bronco player, GM, and a true NFL Football God in my eyes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    I am forever grateful for what John Elway has done for our team!
    He has been the GOAT for the Denver Broncos!!!!
    I don't really care about any other NFL team, so Ole' #7 is The Greatest Bronco player, GM, and a true NFL Football God in my eyes!!!
    Good for you Captain! You know what you like and you go with it!!