Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 92
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    but Elway did get PM and we are having this conversation because it did happen.

    I liked the What If comics as much as anyone!

    Maybe we should make a what if part of the forums so we can talk about what if Ozzie does not sign Sharpe and the Broncos did not have Rahim Moore which would leave Ozzie without a Ring.
    If thats how you feel. Go ahead. We don't have to agree. If you feel Elway is the greatest gm ever...ok....i don't.
    We could have had Lamar Jackson *LJ for M.V.P*

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,186
    Quote Originally Posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
    I will give you player. I agreed with you. When I think of top gms for me elway isn't jumping off the page to me.
    Ok...now we got dialogue. Elway better player, Newsome better GM. What will it take for Elway to catch up enough to be on par with Newsome. Another SB? Many more years as GM?

    This is better. Lets talk. I won't argue that Newsome could be #1 in the combined, because after all, it is hard to gauge. But I love that Elway has 3 rings, and 5 appearances as a player/GM. Whereas Ozzie, not a big fault of his, has 2 SB wins via 2 appearances.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,982
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Ok...now we got dialogue. Elway better player, Newsome better GM. What will it take for Elway to catch up enough to be on par with Newsome. Another SB? Many more years as GM?

    This is better. Lets talk. I won't argue that Newsome could be #1 in the combined, because after all, it is hard to gauge. But I love that Elway has 3 rings, and 5 appearances as a player/GM. Whereas Ozzie, not a big fault of his, has 2 SB wins via 2 appearances.
    I would say a longer consistent history of being a good gm. Before lock started a lot of people wanted him out...there were even threads stating such. So another SB won't hurt...continue to have drafts like 2019.....
    We could have had Lamar Jackson *LJ for M.V.P*

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,186
    Quote Originally Posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
    I would say a longer consistent history of being a good gm. Before lock started a lot of people wanted him out...there were even threads stating such. So another SB won't hurt...continue to have drafts like 2019.....
    When I put this together I gave Newsome the edge. But then I got to thinking about all the SBs, as player and GM, so I started leaning towards our guy. But I could see it either way right now. However, I love the way the team is looking, and I sense we are in for a nice long run. And if so, Elway could get us back to the dance. For me, that would do it. Newsome did not have a good "team performance" start, and like I noted, he had just 1 playoff visit (wild card victory then divisional loss) in his first 9 years.

    But to be honest, I wasn't sure if I missed someone. Lynch makes sense as a potential top guy, given his great career and the team he has built. But he has a ways to go.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pittsburg, KS :(
    Posts
    3,470
    Interesting that Manning was a Colt for 14 years, made it to his first SB in his 9th season and 2nd in his 12th season. So in 14 years he had 2 SB appearances with 1 SB championship the same as 4 years with the Broncos. Manning also was MVP in his 6th and 7th seasons and MVP in his 2nd season with the Broncos ... a Bronco offense that set all kinds of records.
    Bill Polian, a good/great exec/GM, was the GM/team president with the Colts the entire time Manning was there.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    FORT COLLINS COLORADO
    Posts
    8,562
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    Interesting that Manning was a Colt for 14 years, made it to his first SB in his 9th season and 2nd in his 12th season. So in 14 years he had 2 SB appearances with 1 SB championship the same as 4 years with the Broncos. Manning also was MVP in his 6th and 7th seasons and MVP in his 2nd season with the Broncos ... a Bronco offense that set all kinds of records.
    Bill Polian, a good/great exec/GM, was the GM/team president with the Colts the entire time Manning was there.
    Alot of colt teams had dwight's Freeney and Rashard Mathis but very little else on d

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Roskilde, Denmark
    Posts
    2,919
    Quote Originally Posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
    Agreed....can't believe this was posted...if manning chose S.F. over us we would not be having this conversation. But everyone view is different.
    If Manning had chosen to play somewhere else, then we would undoubtedly have build on the 2011 team, that delivered a 62% win rate with Tebow as the QB. Elway looked at Russel Wilson in the 2012 draft, and it is very likely that you would have gone with RW instead of Osweiler, as he would have been a better fit with Tebow.

    There is no way of knowing where we would have been without Manning but it is not given that 2014-2015 Manning would have been the superiour QB, though the level was pretty high the first half of 2014.

    Elways briliance was getting rid of Fox, and totally rebuilding Broncos from 2013 to 2015.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,186
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
    If Manning had chosen to play somewhere else, then we would undoubtedly have build on the 2011 team, that delivered a 62% win rate with Tebow as the QB. Elway looked at Russel Wilson in the 2012 draft, and it is very likely that you would have gone with RW instead of Osweiler, as he would have been a better fit with Tebow.

    There is no way of knowing where we would have been without Manning but it is not given that 2014-2015 Manning would have been the superiour QB, though the level was pretty high the first half of 2014.

    Elways briliance was getting rid of Fox, and totally rebuilding Broncos from 2013 to 2015.
    Those were magical years!! He slid a bit, but now seems to be in high gear again.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Bear Valley in The 5280
    Posts
    14,476
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
    If Manning had chosen to play somewhere else, then we would undoubtedly have build on the 2011 team, that delivered a 62% win rate with Tebow as the QB. Elway looked at Russel Wilson in the 2012 draft, and it is very likely that you would have gone with RW instead of Osweiler, as he would have been a better fit with Tebow.

    There is no way of knowing where we would have been without Manning but it is not given that 2014-2015 Manning would have been the superiour QB, though the level was pretty high the first half of 2014.

    Elways briliance was getting rid of Fox, and totally rebuilding Broncos from 2013 to 2015.
    2014 was not magical for the team but I agree about Fox. Although I liked him a lot as a person he tired out his team in preparations in 12-13- otherwise there could had been more super bowl victories.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Eastern Seaboard
    Posts
    3,505
    Elway has done pretty well for himself throughout his career. He is a highly accomplished individual.
    (I am very proud of him, he is a cool dude!)


  11. #56
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Left of Colorado
    Posts
    1,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
    Agreed....can't believe this was posted...if manning chose S.F. over us we would not be having this conversation. But everyone view is different.
    With all do respect...having certainty of anything is nearly impossible when "what if's" start to show up in forum conversations.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,186
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzbodog View Post
    With all do respect...having certainty of anything is nearly impossible when "what if's" start to show up in forum conversations.
    One thing in life I have learned....the woulda, coulda, shoulda approach amounts to dust in the long run. What actually happens is what we live by. Everything else is speculation at best, even if quite interesting to imagine.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Left of Colorado
    Posts
    1,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    I am forever grateful for what John Elway has done for our team!
    He has been the GOAT for the Denver Broncos!!!!
    I don't really care about any other NFL team, so Ole' #7 is The Greatest Bronco player, GM, and a true NFL Football God in my eyes!!!
    Absolutely! There's not very many teams in NFL history that can claim having the same "player/GM" greatness as the Elway era Denver Broncos. I'm not saying there isn't any....I believe they are few and far between.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Left of Colorado
    Posts
    1,270
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    One thing in life I have learned....the woulda, coulda, shoulda approach amounts to dust in the long run. What actually happens is what we live by. Everything else is speculation at best, even if quite interesting to imagine.
    10-4 good buddy!

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,814
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzbodog View Post
    With all do respect...having certainty of anything is nearly impossible when "what if's" start to show up in forum conversations.
    That was the point I was trying to make. Not saying there is no value to the what if concept but usually it comes with a cherry picking "what if" to support the conclusion one is trying to make. Then imo it has no value at all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •