Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    When you jump out the window hard on draft night defending a pick most people rightfully hated from the jump, I guess you have to go down swinging right? To claim "Bolles played very well last year" is the furthest thing from accurate, depending on what your definition of well and very are I guess. Fact is once again the transaction wire of NFL teams doesn't back up PFF and their offensive line ratings.

If Bolles is as good as one in this thread thinks, why on earth would Elway not take the deal for the fifth-year option, openly declare Bolles will compete with another horrible lineman in Wilkerson, and why would it be reported we are looking at bringing in guys over the age of 30 to potentially come and play tackle? Something doesn't add up, and the consensus on Bolles is right, he is bad. Hey, PFF rated Evan Mathis better than most All-Pros of the decade after his 2015 season here, and he went on to sign a 1 year 4 million dollar deal after Elway didn't offer him anything, seems legitimate.

We don't have to agree on Bolles but I agree that Elway shouldn't have opted for his 5th year option, because Bolles isn't an elite level player and I'm sure Mike Munchak had influence on the decision, I would feel comfortable deferring to the Pro Bowler & HoFer for his opinion on Bolles. We'll see this year. I expect him to play even better, especially with better support with the new additions.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    When you jump out the window hard on draft night defending a pick most people rightfully hated from the jump, I guess you have to go down swinging right? To claim "Bolles played very well last year" is the furthest thing from accurate, depending on what your definition of well and very are I guess. Fact is once again the transaction wire of NFL teams doesn't back up PFF and their offensive line ratings.

If Bolles is as good as one in this thread thinks, why on earth would Elway not take the deal for the fifth-year option, openly declare Bolles will compete with another horrible lineman in Wilkerson, and why would it be reported we are looking at bringing in guys over the age of 30 to potentially come and play tackle? Something doesn't add up, and the consensus on Bolles is right, he is bad. Hey, PFF rated Evan Mathis better than most All-Pros of the decade after his 2015 season here, and he went on to sign a 1 year 4 million dollar deal after Elway didn't offer him anything, seems legitimate.
    How many times do you need to attempt to discredit another’s opinion by bringing up draft night as the only reasonable reason for saying something positive about Bolles.

Kudos to you for being “right” about Bolles on draft night. Perhaps your bias is why you so adamantly continue to ignore any facts or opinions presented to counter the irrational “blame it on Bolles” narrative. And you might want to go back and check the opinions on draft night. Most did not hate the pick from the start. Not glowing but above average “grades” for the pick by most.

I will agree with you that stating “Bolles played very well” is an overstatement. But I find some using negative hyperbole just as often. The truth is somewhere in the middle. The man has flaws and weaknesses.

As for Elway’s decisions. I can not understand some me he makes. For as much as he seems ready to move on from Bolles he doesn’t seem to have any kind of backup plan in place.

I understand you are not inclined to give any of the grades or commentary that present Bolles in a positive way a chance. Your mind was made up on draft night 2017. But for all the criticisms of Bolles he has been able too hold down the LT position for the last 48 games. How many RTs has Elway chosen to bring in during that time?

We will see if Bolles can improve this year. Or even make it to game one, in fact. I think he will still be there. Time will tell.

The offense will be better in 2020 I have no doubt.

This team has me feeling realistically optimistic for the first time in years. There are a lot of question marks including how the team will build chemistry in this stay at home environment and how we will take it from paper to field execution or even HOW will the games be played but there is LEGIT reason to have hope we will be a winning team in 2020!

Quote Originally Posted by FL BRONCO View Post
    I totally agree with you. We have addressed the interior OL and Flacco is long gone. That just leaves Tackle to be addressed.
    Our interior OG may be so good that maybe Risner can push our to OT and give us options!

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    How many times do you need to attempt to discredit another’s opinion by bringing up draft night as the only reasonable reason for saying something positive about Bolles.
    I was probably more wrong than right when you look at what I said regarding Bolles on draft night. I argued he was worthy of where he was drafted based on many things, and I still think based on what he did at Utah he was. I was just annoyed at the time as I thought he was still the wrong choice here as he was the fourth-best available at his position, that was my beef with the pick. But yeah, know what you are talking about to prevent writing long novels based on an assumption in the future. I am referring to someone else being hell-bent one direction and standing by that despite the play telling us otherwise, that's all

Quote Originally Posted by haciendadad View Post
    We don't have to agree on Bolles but I agree that Elway shouldn't have opted for his 5th year option, because Bolles isn't an elite level player and I'm sure Mike Munchak had influence on the decision, I would feel comfortable deferring to the Pro Bowler & HoFer for his opinion on Bolles. We'll see this year. I expect him to play even better, especially with better support with the new additions.
    I think he will be better, he displays he can be like in the Detroit game. But in that Detroit game, he also shows why people hate him. A string of dumb plays that leads to blown up plays, plays that after 4 years he should not be making. He kills any hope you have for him even after he displays some quality play, it's a shame. You can't out play stupid, or a 9 on the wonderlic

I think he will be better, he displays he can be like in the Detroit game. But in that Detroit game, he also shows why people hate him. A string of dumb plays that leads to blown up plays, plays that after 4 years he should not be making. He kills any hope you have for him even after he displays some quality play, it's a shame. You can't out play stupid, or a 9 on the wonderlic
    Are you equally as critical of Jeudy? He also scored a 9 on the Wonderlic. So have many others who have had long and successful careers. The relevance of the test has little to do with success. It is considered controversial and even irrelevant by many.

Curious if you are aware that Bolles has a learning disability? So mocking him for a low score on a standardized test is kind of useless.

I was probably more wrong than right when you look at what I said regarding Bolles on draft night. I argued he was worthy of where he was drafted based on many things, and I still think based on what he did at Utah he was. I was just annoyed at the time as I thought he was still the wrong choice here as he was the fourth-best available at his position, that was my beef with the pick. But yeah, know what you are talking about to prevent writing long novels based on an assumption in the future. I am referring to someone else being hell-bent one direction and standing by that despite the play telling us otherwise, that's all
    The 2017 draft was a weak OT class. Only four taken in the first three rounds. Bolles, Ramczyk in the 1st. Cam Robinson in the 2nd. And Antonio Garcia in the 3rd.

Ramcyzk is the clear cut leader of that group when viewed today. But a couple things to consider. He plays RT on a winning team. Would he be as effective as the LT on the Broncos and protecting the QBs trotted out the last three years. Also at draft time he was coming off a hip surgery. And was met with lukewarm draft grades at the time. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Robinson has had a pretty dubious start to his career with pressures, penalties and missing most of a season to an injury.

Garcia hasn’t logged a play in the NFL as of yet.

So all things considered the Broncos did the best they could with a weak draft of OTs.

Bottom line is I think Bolles has had a decent career despite the flaws. Having the presence of Risner and Munchak in his ear for a second season will only help him improve. I’m expecting the offense to be significantly better if this oline can remain healthy and build chemistry for most of the season.

Good things are coming fellow Bronco fans. Just have some faith and enjoy the show!

The 2017 draft was a weak OT class. Only four taken in the first three rounds. Bolles, Ramczyk in the 1st. Cam Robinson in the 2nd. And Antonio Garcia in the 3rd.

Ramcyzk is the clear cut leader of that group when viewed today. But a couple things to consider. He plays RT on a winning team. Would he be as effective as the LT on the Broncos and protecting the QBs trotted out the last three years. Also at draft time he was coming off a hip surgery. And was met with lukewarm draft grades at the time. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Robinson has had a pretty dubious start to his career with pressures, penalties and missing most of a season to an injury.

So all things considered the Broncos did the best they could with a weak draft of OTs.

Bottom line is I think Bolles has had a decent career despite the flaws. Having the presence of Risner and Munchak in his ear for a second season will only help him improve. I’m expecting the offense to be significantly better if this oline can remain healthy and build chemistry for most of the season.

Good things are coming fellow Bronco fans. Just have some faith and enjoy the show!
    Shows why reaching for a need isn't worth it.

Here is the 2017 draft thread for anyone interested in the Garett Bolles takes at the time in addition to the other OTs in that class.

Are you equally as critical of Jeudy? He also scored a 9 on the Wonderlic. So have many others who have had long and successful careers. The relevance of the test has little to do with success. It is considered controversial and even irrelevant by many.

Curious if you are aware that Bolles has a learning disability? So mocking him for a low score on a standardized test is kind of useless.
    I am not because I did not know that, are you assuming again ? Also yes, I agree with the relevance of the test to football players is somewhat useless, but when a player constantly makes the same dumb mistakes over and over and over and over again, you can kind of point to it as a possible reason, like with Bolles. Also a learning disability doesn't surprise me based on his lack of improvement in areas he 100% would of been coached on over the last few years. Bolles physically is talented, so maybe he just doesn't have the capacity to learn the concepts.

Before I say more, almost every post has the name Bolles in it. There is a whole lot more about this O, this D, Special Teams, coaching, and so on, than one player. And apparently our leadership sees fit to keep him in his position, unless some thing changes fairly soon. But this team feels good to me, and it has so many good things we can talk about.

Yes, I mentioned Bolles too.....to make a point. And yes, it's our right to be critical of who plays LT. BUT, as far as I know, he fits this roster.

I'm a broken record on Lock, and the weapons he now has. With any progress at all in his play, surrounded by so much talent, his job will be easier, and I would suggest, he has less reason to force anything. My goodness, Lindsay, Gordon (fabulous backfield), Sutton, Jeudy, Hamler, Fant (potentially amazing long term receivers), and Risner and company, who looked pretty decent protecting a young QB last year.

Our D still has ole Von, and with the return of Chubb, and the talent of Casey (fantastic acquisition), Simmons, Bouye and the rest of this solid group, they will likely be on the field less, and often hold leads, thereby having opponents try to make things happen, which will quite likely increase errors and turnovers. So much easier playing D when you have the lead and you get time to rest....by being supported by a playmaking, possibly explosive O,

I believe coaching is solid. Some well established skill and know how.

And we have some momentum...4 and 1 with the kid at QB. This is motivating and makes these men feel really good about themselves and what they have.

I see a long playoff run ahead!!

Last edited by CanDB; 05-17-2020 at 07:43 AM.

Thanks CanDB for reminding me not to get lost not seeing the forest for the the trees.

At times, it gets too easy to get tunnel vision on one particular topic or narrative.around here.

But I agree wholeheartedly with your opinions. I am also feeling really good about this team and the potential for playoffs and a special season. I love how they are trending "as a team". Can't wait to see the results on the field. .

Thanks CanDB for reminding me not to get lost not seeing the forest for the the trees.

At times, it gets too easy to get tunnel vision on one particular topic or narrative.around here.

But I agree wholeheartedly with your opinions. I am also feeling really good about this team and the potential for playoffs and a special season. I love how they are trending "as a team". Can't wait to see the results on the field. .
    Thx if I could add anything to the discussion. I wanted a new Tackle so bad, but who am I to know what we really need. I got a good feeling in those last 5 games, when a rookie QB only got sacked once per game, and only threw 3 pics. Part of it was the new kid, but part had to be the group in front of him.

But in all sincerity, I see a 10 and 6 team...and more the following season. And I see a SB visit somewhere within the next 5.