Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

This Team Feels Really Good

Everything about this team feels really good right now. I haven't been this optimistic about our team since Manning came to Denver. Everything feels like it's falling in place. I love our HC. I like the coaches we put around Lock. I love the fact they're trying to build around Lock. I love the flashes Lock showed last year. Our offensive line is improving it seems little by little each year (wish it would of been addressed faster). Our offense looks really good on paper. This is about the best I've felt about this team since Manning left. Even if we only win half our games this but Lock shows vast improvement, I'll be pretty happy with the season. Heck, even if we don't win half our games but Lock still shows vast improvement by the end of the year, I'll still be happy. LETS FREAKING GO!!!!

it would feel better if Bolles wasn't our starting Tackle. i just worry our Offense will be as effective as the Line Blocking for it.

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Bronco fan "adrenaline" is going to be flowing before the kickoff of each game. And then if they do well against the first four regular season teams (Titans, Steelers, Buccaneers and Jets) Bronco Nation will be redlining the "Fun Meter."

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    it would feel better if Bolles wasn't our starting Tackle. i just worry our Offense will be as effective as the Line Blocking for it.
    This is the last year we'll have to put up with him unless of course he has a break out year.

I know some of you will never stop hating on Bolles and you are soooo disappointed in his play, well there is a site that compares players within their position and I hate to break it to you but Bolles played very well last year. yeah.

Here is the link I used, I compared him to some players I found in this article [PFF ranks the top-10 offensive tackles ahead of the 2019 NFL season].

Here is his rating as compared to 6 - 10 to the article link above http://pfref.com/tiny/eo9JU and here is his rating against the top 5 on that list. http://pfref.com/tiny/hQROe These links show he isn't in the top 5, but he is in the top 10!

Ramczyk is the #2 rated OT, so you can still have that to complain about. :-)

Maybe, this will be the year the O-Line will finally get their own nick name. Maybe WALL-ffle House because they can dish up the pancakes! You never know?
    Last edited by haciendadad; 05-15-2020 at 07:48 PM.

To a certain extent, I agree. If Bolles can cut down on penalties and play just “average”, that’s better than his first 3 seasons already. Assuming full health, our OL looks much better than how it has been for the last few seasons. Risner had a strong rookie year and looks to be our LG for the foreseeable future. Cushenberry (replacing McGovern) was one of the top center prospects and brings great play strength and football IQ from a championship-winning LSU team. At RG, Glasgow is only 27 and was a model of durability and consistency for Detroit— he’s an upgrade over Leary for sure. James is an injury wildcard— but given a full offseason to heal up and get his knee right, I trust he’ll be good to go at RT. Plus James is an above-average RT in the NFL and being paid as such. Elway has invested significantly into our OL.

Our offense looks the best it’s been (on paper) since the PFM days.

If Drew Lock, at worst, plays like his rookie form where we went 4-1, we should be fine. A lot depends upon his development, but he has already shown terrific arm talent, quick decision-making, and helpful pocket mobility. It’s a small sample size, but it’s safe to say he’s shown the most talent out of any QB for us since Manning.

Gordon is an upgrade over Freeman and Booker. Gordon and Lindsay should be a great rushing duo out of the backfield. Gordon also brings much better receiving and blocking ability than Freeman.

Sutton will be an undisputed Top 5 WR in the league in 2020. He has shown the work ethic and growth to dominate more consistently. Jeudy is simply the best WR prospect coming out of college since Amari Cooper in 2015. Hamler figures to take over as our slot receiver and was a home-run threat and terrific playmaker for Penn State. Hamilton showed nice chemistry with Lock and should be a reliable WR4. Patrick was a nice UDFA surprise a couple seasons ago, but his athletic upside limits him to a reserve role in this offense. Winfree and Cleveland should battle it out for the last roster spot or practice squad. Spencer should make the roster as a returner and was an above average blocker. This WR room oozes with talent and Coach Azzanni will have these guys ready to put the NFL on notice.

Fant had the most receptions and yards by a Denver rookie tight end in franchise history. He is only going to get better and should be a bigger threat in Shurmur’s offense. Albert O reunites with Lock and will be a dangerous seam weapon with his 4.48 speed. Vannett seems to bring decent blocking skills and provides good depth at TE.

The improvements on offense won’t be seen until our team hits the field, but the investment and talent level of our new-look offense is very real. We fans should rightfully be excited after years and years of pedestrian offensive play and mediocre talent at important positions. We are “Locked” and loaded for 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by haciendadad View Post
    I know some of you will never stop hating on Bolles and you are soooo disappointed in his play, well there is a site that compares players within their position and I hate to break it to you but Bolles played very well last year. yeah.

Here is the link I used, I compared him to some players I found in this article [PFF ranks the top-10 offensive tackles ahead of the 2019 NFL season].

Here is his rating as compared to 6 - 10 to the article link above http://pfref.com/tiny/eo9JU and here is his rating against the top 5 on that list. http://pfref.com/tiny/hQROe These links show he isn't in the top 5, but he is in the top 10!

Ramczyk is the #2 rated OT, so you can still have that to complain about. :-)

Maybe, this will be the year the O-Line will finally get their own nick name. Maybe WALL-ffle House because they can dish up the pancakes! You never know?
    I mainly judge players on the eye test and bolles has been there for one or so holds a game which scares me. He performs well late in the season then takes a while to catch up. He is an older guy on his rookie contract and is a liability in my mind till proven otherwise

James is a good tackle but can he stay healthy. If he can I like him and the rest of the line. I know cush was a plug and play center. But I don't really expect him to be good year one. A few years in he has the upside to be an elite center. But I think he may struggle a bit year one till he adjusts to every one in the nfl being bigger faster and stronger then most every one he played against in college. I also feel most linemen need a year or 2 really develop in a nfl strength and conditioning program

Yeah... he has killed SO many drives. He is a HUGE reason the Broncos couldn't get out of their own way. Any time there was a big play, you sat and waited for the holding call on Bolles. Or, if the offense started getting momentum, you'd wait for the call. Was murder.

I agree though. He has improved. He got better last year. From a lot of what I've seen, his pressures and hits puts him around average in the league, but it doesn't tell the whole story.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua2585 View Post
    Yeah... he has killed SO many drives. He is a HUGE reason the Broncos couldn't get out of their own way. Any time there was a big play, you sat and waited for the holding call on Bolles. Or, if the offense started getting momentum, you'd wait for the call. Was murder.

I agree though. He has improved. He got better last year. From a lot of what I've seen, his pressures and hits puts him around average in the league, but it doesn't tell the whole story.
    Bolles was certainly a part of the offensive struggles but not the main or “huge” reason you are describing.

Other major factors were a statue of a QB, an expensive free agent RT that didn’t play the entire season, Wilkerson and Leary both playing subpar and giving up more pressures, TFLs and sacks then Bolles. Add to that a first year OC and a “play it safe “ offensive strategy. Defenses had little too worry about from the Broncos offense and it showed on the field.

Not arguing that Bolles needs to improve ( in technique and mentality) but heaping the pathetic offensive production all on him is focusing on the wrong things.

I expect the oline to be improved. Hopefully James can return healthy and provide solid play on the right side. The middle of the line looks really solid with Risner, Cush, Glasgow. Then you have Bolles.

I hope Bolles can be a bit more consistent and improved. But even if he was exactly the same player and the weak link it can be schemed around. The problem last year is they had multiple “weak links” and no answer on how to fix all of them at the same time.

Much more optimistic about this year’s oline as a group. Including Bolles part.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua2585 View Post

I know Bolles has gotten better but it’s not a matter of how good his play is, It’s matter of how many penalties the guy will commit.

Denver lost a lot of very close games last year. I wonder how many of those losses could’ve been avoided if Bolles wasn’t drawing flags.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    I know Bolles has gotten better but it’s not a matter of how good his play is, It’s matter of how many penalties the guy will commit.

Denver lost a lot of very close games last year. I wonder how many of those losses could’ve been avoided if Bolles wasn’t drawing flags.
    Completely fair question. But it is also fair to equally wonder if those losses were avoidable if the right side of the line could block on a third and 1 or collapsing so the defense was in the backfield. Or if Flacco’s lack of mobility led to inaccurate throws or just dumping the ball to avoid a sack.

Bolles was a part of the struggles but there is more then enough blame to go around instead of exaggerating one players role in the mess.

I’m expecting much more from the entire offense this year. With or without Bolles at LT.

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    Completely fair question. But it is also fair to equally wonder if those losses were avoidable if the right side of the line could block on a third and 1 or collapsing so the defense was in the backfield. Or if Flacco’s lack of mobility led to inaccurate throws or just dumping the ball to avoid a sack.

Bolles was a part of the struggles but there is more then enough blame to go around instead of exaggerating one players role in the mess.

I’m expecting much more from the entire offense this year. With or without Bolles at LT.
    I totally agree with you. We have addressed the interior OL and Flacco is long gone. That just leaves Tackle to be addressed.
    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Again, you guys don't see that he isn't as bad when you look at the stats which don't lie, but the eyes will.

https://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty...9&view=players

Bolles had 6 Holding Penalties in 2019 and we know he has less in the last 5 games, so with Lock as the starter, that number should improve.

With 6 he is 8th. 13 players behind him had 5. Also, the names ahead of him are very notable names, e.g., A. Whitworth had 9. Even Leary was within 1 holding penalty, but I've never heard his name damned.

Ok, if you want to just count penalties in general, here is a new link to see where Bolles compares. He got 10 penalties and is 10th on this list with notable names ahead of him, and he is tied with 11 players who also got 10 penalties.

https://www.nflpenalties.com/all-pla...019&view=total

I don't understand the hate. I did the fact check to see the stats and I just don't know why he the #1 player all Broncos want to see him gone. I'd be able to understand it if everyone would just say "I just don't like the guy", then I'd get it but at least now you know why Elway is still willing to take a chance with him and not give up on him just yet.

Glad to see others are looking at this topic with a more well rounded view. In recent weeks I’ve been feeling like a Bolles apologist. I don’t think I am.

Bolles needs to improve or be replaced. His holding issues are frustrating. And his apparent lack of self awareness or willingness to be coached just added to it.

But focusing on one player is myopic. Last season there were several issues just as important in the offensive struggles that hardly ever get mentioned.

McGovern started the season rolling the ball back to the QB. He gamely improved and finished the season with mixed results. Flacco turned out to be the QB we thought he was instead of the one we hoped he would be. Then openly called out Scangarello for his play calling. Which I don’t think most of us disagreed with at the time. James getting injured was bad luck, his be called out by the coaches questioning his desire to get back on the field much more concerning. Leary has been injured and declining for a couple years. And Wilkinson and the depth was tested and found lacking IMO.

Collectively a lot of reasons for a bad offense.

The most important thing is most of these issues have been addressed. I agree with the optimism of Lock being able to spread the ball to the multiple playmakers. I also think the changes to the offensive line is significant. Especially if James can play the majority of the season.

I’ll say it this way, if the “same old Bolles “ is the weak link of the line this year the Broncos are going to have a great offensive season! Can not wait to see it develop.