Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Melvin Gordon: Chargers Offense Didn't Play To My Strengths

https://www.nfl.com/news/broncos-rb-...o-my-strengths

In five seasons with the Chargers, Melvin Gordon compiled 6,113 scrimmage yards and generated three seasons with 12-plus touchdowns. Despite the success during the bulk of his run with L.A., Gordon told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport on the Rapsheet + Friends Podcast that in one sense, the Chargers' offense was holding him back.

"It really didn't play out to my strengths, especially the first couple years there," Gordon said. "I kind of just had to adjust and make it work. It kind of wasn't a system built for me. But I feel like Denver kinda runs my style of football, and I think it's a great fit."

The Broncos signed Gordon to a two-year deal believing the running back's dual-threat skill set will mesh better with the type of offense new offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur wants to run. While the Chargers want to feature more wide zone runs and play-action under Anthony Lynn, Gordon highlighted the Broncos' use of inside zone runs that play better to his skill of reading the line and hitting the crease.

"They run a lot of inside zones, and that's what I did a lot at Wisconsin," Gordon said. "It's going to really help me get back in the feel of what I do best. I'm an inside-zone runner."

First, Gordon will have to beat out Phillip Lindsay for snaps, and show that averaging 3.9 yards per carry or fewer in four out of his first five seasons was a product of the Chargers' offense, not his own deficiencies.

If Gordon is correct, and he excels in the Broncos' scheme, Denver is poised to have one of the most intriguing set of offensive weapons around Drew Lock entering the 2020 season. Along with the Gordon-Lindsay pairing, Denver added rookie receivers Jerry Jeudy and K.J. Hamler to line up alongside Pro Bowler Courtland Sutton. If the blocking holds up and Lock makes strides, the Broncos' offense should be fun to watch this season and should be in the hunt for a playoff spot in the AFC.

~~~~~~~~~~

I am so pumped that we acquired Gordon, a 2 time pro bowler, who not that long ago was one of the premier backs in the league! What a 1-2 backfield, not to mention the backups who can provide other talent, giving us a load of balance and variety and skill. It speaks volumes that we signed Gordon, and then drafted Jeudy and Hamler. It's looks like a stacked attack!!

Gordon's a good addition, especially with is pass catching ability. He'll give Drew underneath options and force defenses to cover downfield and underneath. Either Fant or Gordon will have to be picked up by a LB. <Licking chops>

About the scheme, I'm taking that with a huge grain of salt. All schemes are designed to create running lanes for the RB. Some RBs are better than others at seeing seams and anticipating when they open. I watched the home Raiders game replay the other night. Rodgers and Schlottmann were starters that game, and let's just say run blocking wasn't pretty. If our 2020 line does a better job creating running lanes than the Chargers did, Gordon and Lindsay will both thrive.

Quote Originally Posted by dgobronco View Post
    Gordon's a good addition, especially with is pass catching ability. He'll give Drew underneath options and force defenses to cover downfield and underneath. Either Fant or Gordon will have to be picked up by a LB. <Licking chops>

About the scheme, I'm taking that with a huge grain of salt. All schemes are designed to create running lanes for the RB. Some RBs are better than others at seeing seams and anticipating when they open. I watched the home Raiders game replay the other night. Rodgers and Schlottmann were starters that game, and let's just say run blocking wasn't pretty. If our 2020 line does a better job creating running lanes than the Chargers did, Gordon and Lindsay will both thrive.
    I think Gordon is sort of taking the high road blaming it on the scheme. The 3.9 ypc is misleading due to the amount of short yardage carries he received. But that oline was quite frankly abysmal at various points throughout his tenure. Rivers was the best run blocker they had by virtue of his arm. But I also think thereís a bit of truth to what he says as he probably has a much better feel for inside zone runs since he ran it so much in college. RB is as much about feel as it is patience and vision similar to how QBs have to feel blindside pressure

I am hoping we have a RB that can carry the load !
    It would be great to have a 1-2 punch and have a decent Running game.
    (A running game that opponents DC's would actually have to game plan for)

It will be interesting to see the final stats after this season. Two really good RBs, two really good receivers. and possibly more production at TE. Only so many people who can touch the ball. I can see a load of balance, and varying to the game needs. And with more production, longer drives, more points.

I want to be excited about Gordon. Just not as enthusiastic as many about his skills, cost, health, and fit for the offense.

I am hoping for the best but have some nagging doubts he can be the game changer at RB. Not stating he is not a very good RB, if healthy and productive as in past years. Just concerned the Broncos may be relying on a RB that is trending in the wrong direction.

If he meets expectations, the Broncos will have a really nice complimentary tandem with Gordon and Lindsey. Just prefer they donít trade Freeman as he might be needed more then we think right now.

I hope that we have running backs that also understand and execute their assignments in the passing game. Bolles get a lot of hate here, but it was scary at times to see how badly our RBs handled their assingments. Lindsey bless his little body is not playing to his strength in blocking, but we really should be better with Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    I think Gordon is sort of taking the high road blaming it on the scheme. The 3.9 ypc is misleading due to the amount of short yardage carries he received. But that oline was quite frankly abysmal at various points throughout his tenure. Rivers was the best run blocker they had by virtue of his arm. But I also think thereís a bit of truth to what he says as he probably has a much better feel for inside zone runs since he ran it so much in college. RB is as much about feel as it is patience and vision similar to how QBs have to feel blindside pressure
    I want Gordon to thrive in Denver as much as the next fan,
    but let's not forget he comes with baggage.
    With the Chargers, he behaved diva-ish and replaced.

Pointing his finger to "the Chargers scheme" isn't taking the high road.
    What'll be his excuse if things don't work out in Denver,
    too many O-weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by mozzerpete View Post

too many O-weapons?
    You do have a good point. Gordon did underestimate Austin Ekeler's ability to replace his production. As long as Melvin works hard, and doesn't think the starting job will be just given to him, he should thrive in Denver. He is a good pass blocker, excellent pass catcher, and still very capable between the tackles.

I don't think the Chargers utilized him as well as they could have any of the years he played there. Gordon throwing them under the bus now is a little petty.

I am lukewarm on the Gordon signing, but he has a great opportunity if he can work hard, accept his role, hold onto the ball. Doesn't sound too tough but he brings with him a reputation of not fulfilling those simple expectations.

If he can play to his strengths he will get his opportunities with the ball. Likely going to be more of the "feature RB" of the Gordon/Lindsey duo. Likely in the range of 14 carries and 3 rec per game. With Lindsey still getting 8-10 carries and 2 rec a game. And these may be conservative goals because this team will be moving the chains and sustaining drives more then in recent years IMO. The more plays, the more they spread around the opportunities.

The biggest skill that Gordon adds to the Broncos is a bigger threat on short yardage. Whether it is on the goal line or middle of the field, 3rd and 2 to go seems much more makable with Gordon. Extending drives and scoring TDs can be his biggest contribution.

But it is all about the basics for him, Attitude, health and fumbles. I'm excited to see the possibilities become reality. .

too many O-weapons?
    Itís better than blaming Sam Tevi and Michael Schofield for not being able to open holes. They had to run a lot of runs to the outside because the oline couldnít do anything

I'm good with him trashing the Chargers a bit, I hope he does well for us!
    (Who likes the Chargers anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Itís better than blaming Sam Tevi and Michael Schofield for not being able to open holes. They had to run a lot of runs to the outside because the oline couldnít do anything
    I find it classy and humble when any player thanks his former team and fans on his way out
    and allows his play going forward to speak for itself.

Did Raiders' RB Devontae Booker criticize Denver's scheme, OL, or lack of touches on his way out?

Gordon refused 10M, sat out three games, replaced then criticized his former team on his way out.
    He might need to be "managed" if things don't go "his" way in Denver.

Tangent note: Flacco is now a Jet (@1.5M), and I'm curious what he'll say about Denver and Elway.
    ( I was wrong about Flacco and glad he's gone. )

I find it classy and humble when any player thanks his former team and fans on his way out
    and allows his play going forward to speak for itself.

Did Raiders' RB Devontae Booker criticize Denver's scheme, OL, or lack of touches on his way out?

Gordon refused 10M, sat out three games, replaced then criticized his former team on his way out.
    He might need to be "managed" if things don't go "his" way in Denver.

Tangent note: Flacco is now a Jet (@1.5M), and I'm curious what he'll say about Denver and Elway.
    ( I was wrong about Flacco and glad he's gone. )
    Flacco is a different case since heís a quarterback and they tend to be more diplomatic.

Was Gordon answering questions or did he volunteer his comments? If he was answering questions, itís a bit unfair to criticize him for giving the answers. He doesnít really owe the Chargers anything now that heís gone from that organization.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Flacco pretty much stated his thoughts on the Broncos last year after the Colts game, didnít he?

Gordonís critical comments were not necessary but revealing to his attitude about his own accountability of his own faults in the Charger offense.

IMO Gordon has some things to prove in a Bronco uniform. Primarily work hard and hold onto the ball. He can have a productive role here if he accepts it. Share the load and responsibilities instead of looking back to his Wisconsin glory days of being the star and getting the ball 25 times a game.

Hope he can be the team player we need.