Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    The Denver Broncos win the first AFL game defeating the Patriots in Boston.

Frank Tripucka and Lionel Taylor produce passing stats to which we are now accustomed in a fourteen game season.

First time an AFL team beat an NFL team. Happened at DU's Hilltop Stadium. Hope Alex Karras had a nice walk back to Detroit.

Art Modell just couldn't see the Denver Broncos playing in Cleveland's Stadium. Al Davis and Lamar Hunt disagreed.

Lou Saban's "half a loaf" runs afoul of the South Stand.

Every week Floyd Little was either questionable or doubtful, but there he was on Sunday running the ball, catching passes and returning kicks while playing with a whole bunch of different QBs.

Charley Johnson and the first winning season,

Joe Collier revamps the Oklahoma 50 into the 3-4 odd front D.

Red Miller and the first Super Bowl.

Elway could have been a Cowboy and Danny White could have been a Colt, if Gil Brandt had known better than to deal with Frank Kush. If he had talked to Bob Irsay or someone else in the Coltsí front office, the Broncos would have missed their chance.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Scoring 50+ points, 2 weeks in a row, against the Eagles and the Cowboys in 2013 was a great memory for me.

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    Elway could have been a Cowboy and Danny White could have been a Colt, if Gil Brandt had known better than to deal with Frank Kush. If he had talked to Bob Irsay or someone else in the Colts’ front office, the Broncos would have missed their chance.
    Saw a show about the trade. From what the show presented the GM did not want to trade Elway but the owner was afraid the pick would go to waste as Elway was did not want to play for their coach and was threatening to go play for the NY Yankees. The owner made a trade happen from his office while the GM was getting better trade offers and turning them down is how I understand it.

There is also a report that last minute Elway called and told the GM he would play for them as he just wanted to play football but apparently the owner made the deal anyway.

Maybe we should send thank you gifts to the Colts as they are responsible for letting go of all of our SB Winning Qbs (and 7 of our 8 SB appearance QBs)....one through trade and one through free agency.
    Last edited by Hadez; 09-12-2020 at 06:42 AM.
    In the last 45 years the Broncos have drafted in the top 10 five times. They have drafted in the top 15 twelve times. Some may want them to draft a top 5 pick but the Broncos are not as bad they want them to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    Saw a show about the trade. From what the show presented the GM did not want to trade Elway but the owner was afraid the pick would go to waste as Elway was did not want to play for their coach and was threatening to go play for the NY Yankees. The owner made a trade happen from his office while the GM was getting better trade offers and turning them down is how I understand it.

There is also a report that last minute Elway called and told the GM he would play for them as he just wanted to play football but apparently the owner made the deal anyway.

Maybe we should send thank you gifts to the Colts as they are responsible for letting go of all of our SB Winning Qbs (and 7 of our 8 SB appearance QBs)....one through trade and one through free agency.
    There will be a biography about Elway coming out soon. It will talk about the trade. Bill Walsh was sniffing around that deal as well.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

The 30 for 30 on the 1983 Draft is excellent. The Raiders were very interested in Elway, but couldn't get the picks needed because Chicago backed out of a trade. Also of note Al Davis when talking to Elway's agent said he liked Elway but wasn't sure he had enough arm strength for the NFL. The agent told Davis to never mention that comment to anyone else.

May God Bless all men and women of our Armed Forces, past and present.
    The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing.
    http://www.navyjack.info/history.html

My Adopted Bronco is #95 Derek Wolfe.

I think Darrent Williams had the potential to be one of Denver's all time greats!! RIP....

also.....

I could watch that clip of Cam pouting all day LOL

I remember when it was happening, I don't ever remember hearing that at the time and I very much doubt it.I know people in Colt's FO have been so called quoted as saying he said this, but i doubt it cause no one in John's camp ever did. I think Elway would not have played for the Colts no matter what. He had options, he did not have to play that year and he and his father were dead set on not playing for Coach Kush. Kush had a not so great name amoung players then. In fact after being drafted Jack said John would never play for coach Kush. He, in fact, planned on playing for the yankees instead and did. The Colts only held his rights for 1 yr if he didn't sign. So he very easily could've entered the NFL the folloiwng year and been somewhere else and the Colt's knew it. I don't think there was any way Elway was playing for the Colt's period. I think one way or the other he would've ended up in football, just not for Irsay/Kush.

He made the right choice too.

From what I remember too, the GM was recieving better offers and working on trade deals when Denver went directly to the owner Irsay and worked out a deal. The GM Accorsi resigned later sighting that as the reason. He also made a good choice.
    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

2005.....the entire season was just mile high magic

I will forever be linked to Vinston Painter through a mutual female friend

Best block ever by WR imo
    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter