Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Rewatched the first super bowl win last night and I canít help but wonder why the split back formation isnít used at all anymore.

Also I had forgot all about Steve Atwaterís dropped pick in that game, he couldíve scored if he catches that, possibly even became the Super Bowl MVP. He had a tremendous game blitzing Favre.

My favorite memory was attending the Divisional round playoff game against Miami in 1999 (1998 season). Loudest game I ever was at. We won 38-3. It was the most dominant game the Broncos ever played. Neil Smith returned a fumble for a touchdown that probably took 15 seconds to run 90 yards. Great season, great game!

This is my favorite personal story that includes a Denver Bronco football game.

Summer before 1997 season. Decide to take road trip to Colorado with a friend from Jr High who had up to this point never left San Diego except to go to Los Angeles. Picked a time frame the would include the Broncos Oct 6 game against the AFC Champ NE Patriots. Knew this was probably going to be my last chance to see a game at Mile High as I was working pretty close to min wage at the time. Knew someone who knew a season ticket holder and it was agreed I could get two tickets for that game.

Have made the trip from SoCal to Colorado many times since moving to SoCal and that one was one of the best. By this time the Pats were 4-0 coming off a bye and the Broncos were 5-0. Two undefeated teams from last years playoffs on MNF! Sadly...the tickets had gone to someone else. BUMMER!

My buddy and I were not happy but we picked ourselves up that morning, went to a store...got some cardboard and markers....made a sign. "Drove 1000 miles to see a Bronco game...just need two tickets". At this point I had some cash but needed to save some for ride home. I was looking at trying to get two tickets for two undefeated teams on MNF for about $150. Yea I was going for a Hail Mary here. After hours of being told one ticket would be no less than $200 a Mile High Miracle happened. One guy drove through bunch of prospective buyers to get to me. He has two tickets...pretty good seats. He sold me two tickets for $60! That was under face value!

Get some beer, get my face painted, enjoyed some tail gating. Had a darn good time!

I lost my voice by the end of the 3rd qtr because I was yelling constantly. One thing about Mile High is a Bronco fan could not be quiet. Fans encouraged other fans to get loud. Fans expected other fans to get loud. Elway had a rough game but TD dominated and Mobley took a int back to the HOUSE! 34-13 Broncos win!

All things considered not just one of the best Bronco moments of my life but maybe the best road trip of my life. We got to camp out in tents at the Grand Canyon in a small amount of snow on the way back. We had just enough money for some hot dogs and cheap beer. I was still beaming about the Bronco game and how we got amazing tickets even when my lungs hurt from breathing cold air

My buddy lived in San Diego at the time so when the Broncos made it to the Super Bowl that year a big party at his place just felt natural. If I did not drink so much I would have went to the team hotel...my truck had a Orange strip down each side and a Bronco flag attached and I was far to intoxicated to be driving that around San Diego. Great season!
    Last edited by Hadez; 06-02-2020 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    1985 game against the Chargers at Mile High ... game went into OT when Dennis Smith blocked 2 FGs in a row. The first was negated when Harden called a time out just before the snap; I thought that's it, they'll make the 2nd ... BUT NO! Smith blocks the 2nd attempt too and to top it off Louis Wright takes it back for a TD... OT win.
    This is one of my favorite moments as well. What sticks in my mind is the energy in the stadium. Even after the timeout, I remember feeling almost certain it would happen again. It was almost like Dennis Smith and Louis Wright channeled all the will of the stadium, and the Chargers had no chance.

^^^^^good story H!! Now you've made me think a little harder. Here's one that still makes me laugh and smile:

My wife and I decided to see our first Broncos game on October 28th, 2012, against The Saints. Manning's first year. So I bought tickets online, we booked things, and were looking forward to our trip. Big game! Televised.

Days before the travel date, I started feeling a bad pain. I had kidney stones before, and sure enough, after a visit to the doctor, it was agreed that this was probably another one. Not emergency level, but getting there. So at the last possible moment, we cancelled. Sold the tickets. nearly broke even. Needed a doctor's note. Could not go with this thing seemingly getting worse.

Watched as we kicked The Saints, and felt disappointment that we could not go. In time the stone must have passed on its own.

So, the following year we booked again. September 29th against The Eagles. Great vacation! Manning and company kicked butt again, 52-20!

Glad we went, because we made it a better trip, with better lodging, and some excellent sightseeing.

I will always remember seeing my wife, wearing my backup Broncos jersey, looking like someone who loved The NFL....but really didn't. But she blended in like a true Broncos fan, and enjoyed herself just the same!

The Drive II.
    Elway leads us 98 yards for the game winning field goal against the Oilers I was too young to remember The Dive, so, this one was a great moment from my childhood that I remember.

Another is being excited about the Broncos new logo in 1997. I was 13 and I thought the new uniforms were awesome!

Stokley's game winning TD reception off a deflection in the 2009 season opener.

I was in the south stands at the old mile high eleven Rod Smith made his 1st reception - which was also the game winning TD as time expired. Classic Elway bomb to end the game. Rod Caught it right in front of where we were sitting. Most memorable personal experience for me.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    ^^^^^good story H!! Now you've made me think a little harder. Here's one that still makes me laugh and smile:

My wife and I decided to see our first Broncos game on October 28th, 2012, against The Saints. Manning's first year. So I bought tickets online, we booked things, and were looking forward to our trip. Big game! Televised.

Days before the travel date, I started feeling a bad pain. I had kidney stones before, and sure enough, after a visit to the doctor, it was agreed that this was probably another one. Not emergency level, but getting there. So at the last possible moment, we cancelled. Sold the tickets. nearly broke even. Needed a doctor's note. Could not go with this thing seemingly getting worse.

Watched as we kicked The Saints, and felt disappointment that we could not go. In time the stone must have passed on its own.

So, the following year we booked again. September 29th against The Eagles. Great vacation! Manning and company kicked butt again, 52-20!

Glad we went, because we made it a better trip, with better lodging, and some excellent sightseeing.

I will always remember seeing my wife, wearing my backup Broncos jersey, looking like someone who loved The NFL....but really didn't. But she blended in like a true Broncos fan, and enjoyed herself just the same!
    Nice to see them win!

Even better to have a woman who will wear the jersey and root with you even if she is not a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    Nice to see them win!

Even better to have a woman who will wear the jersey and root with you even if she is not a fan.
    That's right pal. Not that she does not like sports. She was pretty athletic. But not a football fan. But yes, it was my memory of getting on the bus that took us from downtown to the game, and even with a number of Eagles fans on board. And we had to sit apart one way. So I looked at her, with her orange jersey, and it made me smile, because for all purposes, anyone seeing her would think she was a die hard fan.

Note: even though it was the end of September, and warm but not hot temperature wise.....make sure you wear a hat and have sun tan lotion, because even though we were in the shade for half the game, the sun sure sines bright up there!! (We were protected, but surprisingly strong rays!!!)

Domonique Foxworth is on a lot of ESPN talk shows and he does a really good job talking sports.