Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 301
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Roskilde, Denmark
    Posts
    2,916
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    I agree with BB. You are at work... at mine we cannot use the platform to express our thought on politics, religion etc...

    Why is it unreasonable for the NFL to demand the same? Players can use their celebrity off the field, ie not at work... to spread their message..

    I would love for all of that to be out of the game, so when I turn it on... I am entertained by the product, as it should be,,, two teams, there to play a game.
    The sad thing about a situation as George Floyd's death and the aftermath, is that discussions do not go to fact based discussions, but is dominated by feelings and sloppy reporting. When about 1000 people of all races, all ages, all genders die per year at the hands of police in one way or other, and about 85 police officers are killed per year, you are sitting on a powder cake that needs dealt with. Police officers come in three basic verities - the ones that enjoy power, the ones that think it is a cool job and the ones that want to do good, and when risk and social status do not favorur the last two groups you get more of the first.

    Your murder rate in the US is 6½ times higher than ex. Denmark and your rate of traffic deaths are 3½ times higher, and instead of a racial discussion it ought to be a discussion of why Americans are getting killed at such extreme rates.

    George Floyd's treatment that led to his death could have a racial element, but what about the 75 year old white protester that got piushed to the ground, knocked unconcious and bleeding from his head while not being attended to immidiately, or the blonde Australian woman in a bathrope that got shot and killed by police a few months ago.

    It is sad that this becomes a race/SWJ issue and not looking at why so many people are killed in police encounters. This is not a Black Americans thing - it is an Americans thing that gets lost in a different battle!

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,982
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
    The sad thing about a situation as George Floyd's death and the aftermath, is that discussions do not go to fact based discussions, but is dominated by feelings and sloppy reporting. When about 1000 people of all races, all ages, all genders die per year at the hands of police in one way or other, and about 85 police officers are killed per year, you are sitting on a powder cake that needs dealt with. Police officers come in three basic verities - the ones that enjoy power, the ones that think it is a cool job and the ones that want to do good, and when risk and social status do not favorur the last two groups you get more of the first.

    Your murder rate in the US is 6½ times higher than ex. Denmark and your rate of traffic deaths are 3½ times higher, and instead of a racial discussion it ought to be a discussion of why Americans are getting killed at such extreme rates.

    George Floyd's treatment that led to his death could have a racial element, but what about the 75 year old white protester that got piushed to the ground, knocked unconcious and bleeding from his head while not being attended to immidiately, or the blonde Australian woman in a bathrope that got shot and killed by police a few months ago.

    It is sad that this becomes a race/SWJ issue and not looking at why so many people are killed in police encounters. This is not a Black Americans thing - it is an Americans thing that gets lost in a different battle!
    Wow just simply wow. Even more reason why what is happening is needed. You comparison is beyond far fetched. However its your opinion. You're entitled to it.
    Last edited by Ear2dastreets; 06-06-2020 at 08:15 AM.
    We could have had Lamar Jackson *LJ for M.V.P*

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    924
    I struggle to believe him because of some of his actions in the past.

    I hope this is a step in the right direction though

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the treasure valley, Idaho
    Posts
    16,606
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    I agree with BB. You are at work... at mine we cannot use the platform to express our thought on politics, religion etc...

    Why is it unreasonable for the NFL to demand the same? Players can use their celebrity off the field, ie not at work... to spread their message..

    I would love for all of that to be out of the game, so when I turn it on... I am entertained by the product, as it should be,,, two teams, there to play a game.
    I understand that sentiment, but an element of that could be you live in Canada and not the US. Freedom of speech os part of the foundation of the US constitution. Where the line gets blurry in the workforce is expressing one’s beliefs vs intimidating someone.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the treasure valley, Idaho
    Posts
    16,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I understand that sentiment, but an element of that could be you live in Canada and not the US. Freedom of speech os part of the foundation of the US constitution. Where the line gets blurry in the workforce is expressing one’s beliefs vs intimidating someone.
    I do not say this to spark a political debate. I’m pointing out that Canada seems to have different laws and constitutional rights when it comes to freedom of speech. I won’t go into specifics, but the point is the players do have a right to express their rights in a peaceful manner, just like I have the right to so the same. As a general example If my employer threatens me because I have inspirational quotes on my desk I can in turn sue him for discrimination, I don’t believe that is the case in Canada.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Nelson, BC
    Posts
    19,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I understand that sentiment, but an element of that could be you live in Canada and not the US. Freedom of speech os part of the foundation of the US constitution. Where the line gets blurry in the workforce is expressing one’s beliefs vs intimidating someone.
    I can see that, but if you look at other celebrities, they are not spreading their message at their work place, it is athletes that are..I truly believe that when you go to work, you work and focus on that. Let your workplace decide if/how they are going to present themselves when issues arise, if at all.

    There are reasons for the uniform, and teams looking, dressing the same... when someone does something individual, it takes away from the team aspect.

    Yes, I was one person that loved the elimination of the excessive celebrations, and do not really enjoy the scripted ones at all. (minus the mile high salute, of course)

    To sum up my point.... Its like the separation of Church and State... leave the politics etc at home when you are at work... unless of course, you are a politician
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

    Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Nelson, BC
    Posts
    19,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I do not say this to spark a political debate. I’m pointing out that Canada seems to have different laws and constitutional rights when it comes to freedom of speech. I won’t go into specifics, but the point is the players do have a right to express their rights in a peaceful manner, just like I have the right to so the same. As a general example If my employer threatens me because I have inspirational quotes on my desk I can in turn sue him for discrimination, I don’t believe that is the case in Canada.
    Having finished my degree in the US of A I think our laws - specifically in the guarantees of freedoms and rights are very close to one another. It is the application of them that differs in many cases. And like the right to bear arms.. out country was formed differently so that is not one of our freedoms.

    It is not every workplace that doesn't allow political and religious views be expressed, it is my workplace because in the position of work I am in, my expressing those opinions publically, while at work, could be seen to be influencing people, where I am supposed to be seen as neutral.

    So we don't get into politics - like you said and I have to IP you and I and delete out posts...I'll call this you and I educating each other about our respective home countries, and go no further!
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

    Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    7,882
    Sacrifices have to be made by everyone to grow as an inclusive society. It's not about the who, what, when, where, or why, but the existence of social discord itself. Everyone needs to stop and listen to their fellow man, or we can't move forward productively. This is why MLKJr was such a successful civil rights leader. This was essentially his mission statement. Avoid the extremes from two opposing sides of the debate and find mediation between the two. Understanding. Growth does not occur without struggle. Change is hard, but should be endeavored with an open mind, and peacefully.

    "Long ago, the Greek philosopher Heraclitus argued that justice emerges from the strife of two opposites, and Hegel, in modern philosophy, preached a doctrine of growth through struggle." ~ Martin Luther King Jr.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    16,503
    While it’s true that police aren’t only unjustly killing black people, that isn’t the point in all of this. Trying to compare the situations aren’t going to get any results. But the truth is, the media doesn’t push those stories and while there should be just as much outrage around them, now isn’t the time to say well it happens to white people too, because it honestly probably isn’t happening at the rate it happens to black people. And I disagree with those of you comparing it to your jobs, athletes are on tv for millions across the world to see, there is a real platform to create change for them. Silence IS compliance and silence will never bring about the changes that need to be made.

    But these protests aren’t just about police brutality, yes that’s a big part of it because it brought everything to the forefront but the protests are about the systemic racism that is rampant in the country. I shouldn’t get strange looks or hear whispers when I go out in town with my wife and 2 daughters. I shouldn’t have to watch my daughters go through an identity crisis because people from both races don’t accept that they are biracial. I shouldn’t have to let them know that they’re going to have work so much harder than an under qualified candidate for a job because they’re seen as a black woman despite being biracial. I shouldn’t have to teach my 2 daughters to fear for their life when they get pulled over because of the color of their skin. I shouldn’t have to bring them inside when they’re playing outside and a cop drives by because he thinks they might have a gun in their hand. I shouldn’t have to fear for them going on a jog that someone might follow them around and murder them in broad daylight.

    The racism needs to stop. There are no comparisons to be made.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    Sacrifices have to be made by everyone to grow as an inclusive society. It's not about the who, what, when, where, or why, but the existence of social discord itself. Everyone needs to stop and listen to their fellow man, or we can't move forward productively. This is why MLKJr was such a successful civil rights leader. This was essentially his mission statement. Avoid the extremes from two opposing sides of the debate and find mediation between the two. Understanding. Growth does not occur without struggle. Change is hard, but should be endeavored with an open mind, and peacefully.

    "Long ago, the Greek philosopher Heraclitus argued that justice emerges from the strife of two opposites, and Hegel, in modern philosophy, preached a doctrine of growth through struggle." ~ Martin Luther King Jr.
    I agree. Truly truly sad to see how some just don't get it or just don't want to get it....let them vent. I see actors, musicians, saying the same thing its not just athletes. If that was von miller, JJ, C Sutton, brother you warrant then to shut up and play??? If it was a bronco player I willing to bet the same thoughts wouldn't be. Somethings are just bigger than sports. Happy NFL agrees with their players. Which is the fabric of this "game" we love.
    We could have had Lamar Jackson *LJ for M.V.P*

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the treasure valley, Idaho
    Posts
    16,606
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    I can see that, but if you look at other celebrities, they are not spreading their message at their work place, it is athletes that are..I truly believe that when you go to work, you work and focus on that. Let your workplace decide if/how they are going to present themselves when issues arise, if at all.

    There are reasons for the uniform, and teams looking, dressing the same... when someone does something individual, it takes away from the team aspect.

    Yes, I was one person that loved the elimination of the excessive celebrations, and do not really enjoy the scripted ones at all. (minus the mile high salute, of course)

    To sum up my point.... Its like the separation of Church and State... leave the politics etc at home when you are at work... unless of course, you are a politician
    I get what you’re saying. But kneeling or saluting, or having an opinion at the water cooler doesn’t have anything to do with your job, but it has everything to do with who you are.
    I’ve heard that reasoning with separation of church and state. That was not the intent of that but I will explain in a private message.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Nelson, BC
    Posts
    19,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I get what you’re saying. But kneeling or saluting, or having an opinion at the water cooler doesn’t have anything to do with your job, but it has everything to do with who you are.
    I’ve heard that reasoning with separation of church and state. That was not the intent of that but I will explain in a private message.
    Sounds good and PM is welcome..
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

    Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the treasure valley, Idaho
    Posts
    16,606
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    While it’s true that police aren’t only unjustly killing black people, that isn’t the point in all of this. Trying to compare the situations aren’t going to get any results. But the truth is, the media doesn’t push those stories and while there should be just as much outrage around them, now isn’t the time to say well it happens to white people too, because it honestly probably isn’t happening at the rate it happens to black people. And I disagree with those of you comparing it to your jobs, athletes are on tv for millions across the world to see, there is a real platform to create change for them. Silence IS compliance and silence will never bring about the changes that need to be made.

    But these protests aren’t just about police brutality, yes that’s a big part of it because it brought everything to the forefront but the protests are about the systemic racism that is rampant in the country. I shouldn’t get strange looks or hear whispers when I go out in town with my wife and 2 daughters. I shouldn’t have to watch my daughters go through an identity crisis because people from both races don’t accept that they are biracial. I shouldn’t have to let them know that they’re going to have work so much harder than an under qualified candidate for a job because they’re seen as a black woman despite being biracial. I shouldn’t have to teach my 2 daughters to fear for their life when they get pulled over because of the color of their skin. I shouldn’t have to bring them inside when they’re playing outside and a cop drives by because he thinks they might have a gun in their hand. I shouldn’t have to fear for them going on a jog that someone might follow them around and murder them in broad daylight.

    The racism needs to stop. There are no comparisons to be made.
    Good post; I hear you my fellow American (that may sound cheesy, but it’s from the heart). I am no longer silent. I sat down with a black friend of mine the other day and explained some of how I had felt in the past about this conversation and he explained to me how he felt and what his experience was; he’s a Christian preacher who is afraid to get pulled over. I then asked him to forgive me for having been dismissive about this conversation in the past, and told him I had his back. I am silent no more.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    35,979
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallMoss View Post
    Agreed. Elway himself agrees.

    It takes character to admit you were wrong and wanting to grow a deeper understanding.
    I agree. And it's not too late. Many voices are being heard, every day, because I believe some were not sure if they should speak up. Gradually they are. I think there's real energy and hopefully real momentum, this time.

    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoBreeder View Post
    Most employers demand that no politics, religion, or anything to do with race be discussed while at work.

    That should hold true for the NFL players, as well.
    I agree that it's not the case in most workplaces, but I can see how professional athletes are speaking up. This is not the first time. Check back when the likes of Jim Brown, Muhammad Ali, Bill Russell, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and a group of star athletes came together, many decades ago. In sports as in other places of celebrities, the performers are the crux of the industry. They are often looked up to, and have star power. They are quoted and society wants to hear from them.

    FTR, I love the new video including a number of great, young NFL players, including Mahomes, Barkley, Elliott, Hopkins and OBJ. They are very influential and they are quite young. They have influence.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
    Well I'm glad I dont work for neither one of your companies. As my job has open forum and stand by the cause. Glad Roger Godell is doing the right thing for the message to continue. Some things are just bigger than football and for some entertainment purposes.
    I agree, good on Goodell. His words spoke volumes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    Sacrifices have to be made by everyone to grow as an inclusive society. It's not about the who, what, when, where, or why, but the existence of social discord itself. Everyone needs to stop and listen to their fellow man, or we can't move forward productively. This is why MLKJr was such a successful civil rights leader. This was essentially his mission statement. Avoid the extremes from two opposing sides of the debate and find mediation between the two. Understanding. Growth does not occur without struggle. Change is hard, but should be endeavored with an open mind, and peacefully.

    "Long ago, the Greek philosopher Heraclitus argued that justice emerges from the strife of two opposites, and Hegel, in modern philosophy, preached a doctrine of growth through struggle." ~ Martin Luther King Jr.
    Well said pal!

    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    While it’s true that police aren’t only unjustly killing black people, that isn’t the point in all of this. Trying to compare the situations aren’t going to get any results. But the truth is, the media doesn’t push those stories and while there should be just as much outrage around them, now isn’t the time to say well it happens to white people too, because it honestly probably isn’t happening at the rate it happens to black people. And I disagree with those of you comparing it to your jobs, athletes are on tv for millions across the world to see, there is a real platform to create change for them. Silence IS compliance and silence will never bring about the changes that need to be made.

    But these protests aren’t just about police brutality, yes that’s a big part of it because it brought everything to the forefront but the protests are about the systemic racism that is rampant in the country. I shouldn’t get strange looks or hear whispers when I go out in town with my wife and 2 daughters. I shouldn’t have to watch my daughters go through an identity crisis because people from both races don’t accept that they are biracial. I shouldn’t have to let them know that they’re going to have work so much harder than an under qualified candidate for a job because they’re seen as a black woman despite being biracial. I shouldn’t have to teach my 2 daughters to fear for their life when they get pulled over because of the color of their skin. I shouldn’t have to bring them inside when they’re playing outside and a cop drives by because he thinks they might have a gun in their hand. I shouldn’t have to fear for them going on a jog that someone might follow them around and murder them in broad daylight.

    The racism needs to stop. There are no comparisons to be made.
    No one should have to worry about those things! Especially in countries that believe in democracy.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,982
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    While it’s true that police aren’t only unjustly killing black people, that isn’t the point in all of this. Trying to compare the situations aren’t going to get any results. But the truth is, the media doesn’t push those stories and while there should be just as much outrage around them, now isn’t the time to say well it happens to white people too, because it honestly probably isn’t happening at the rate it happens to black people. And I disagree with those of you comparing it to your jobs, athletes are on tv for millions across the world to see, there is a real platform to create change for them. Silence IS compliance and silence will never bring about the changes that need to be made.

    But these protests aren’t just about police brutality, yes that’s a big part of it because it brought everything to the forefront but the protests are about the systemic racism that is rampant in the country. I shouldn’t get strange looks or hear whispers when I go out in town with my wife and 2 daughters. I shouldn’t have to watch my daughters go through an identity crisis because people from both races don’t accept that they are biracial. I shouldn’t have to let them know that they’re going to have work so much harder than an under qualified candidate for a job because they’re seen as a black woman despite being biracial. I shouldn’t have to teach my 2 daughters to fear for their life when they get pulled over because of the color of their skin. I shouldn’t have to bring them inside when they’re playing outside and a cop drives by because he thinks they might have a gun in their hand. I shouldn’t have to fear for them going on a jog that someone might follow them around and murder them in broad daylight.

    The racism needs to stop. There are no comparisons to be made.
    Well said my friend, well said.
    We could have had Lamar Jackson *LJ for M.V.P*

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •