• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • baphamet
    Family Trust Beer
    • Nov 2006

greetings everyone!

just dropping by to see how you all are doing. reading some of these threads, not much has changed in the world of smack around here since December lol

honestly i'm not really that interested in smack anymore but i wanted to stop by and say "hi" and as well as give my thoughts (and maybe a talk a lil smack) on a few things football related.

rivers is gone and it sucks. the chargers still have good talent across the board but no proven, legit starting QB. taylor has a chance to be a decent fill in "game manager" but he isn't the answer. Justin herbert, a very likable kid, who has all the physical tools with potential needs development and work. he's no guarantee to pan out but he's extremely smart, we will see.

I think the chargers are an extremely difficult team to predict this year. most are saying they are going to be bad due to them not having a solid QB situation. however, taylor is almost certainly going to protect the ball better than rivers and the offense did last season. the offense will not be as good without rivers and gordon but if they can not turn it over as much it could mean more wins.

they have upgraded the OL big time and now, even though i love rivers, all three of their current QB's are mobile. hopefully the offense can hover around top 15 with less turnovers, that could be a recipe for success.

especially when you consider how stacked the defense is looking now. the chargers defense is crazy stacked now. with CHJ and the linval joseph additions alone, that upgrades that defense by a lot. a defense that was already stacked with good talent. also, with their first round draft pick LB they reached for, hopefully upgrading the LB'er room as well.

the chargers are are a more one dimensional team now but like i said before, turnovers were a huge problem last season and taylor has always been solid at protecting the football.

melvin gordon......oh where to begin. i seen the thread about him and here is my response to that. i still think he's a good back and i think he makes your team better. however........

THIS DUDE......the one who turned down 10 mill per and called that "disrespectful" now took an offer for less and is clapping back at the chargers and their fans as if he was wronged?

gordon is a legit moron. he screwed himself out of a contract he called disrespectful that was better than any other offer he got. he makes a joke about there being no fans yet are fans going to stop him from fumbling the ball on the 1 yard line?

oh well, trade me CHJ for gordons cryin ass any day. CHJ who is also disgruntled isn't running the broncos through the dirt, even though they didn't offer him the best contract he could possibly get like the chargers did with gordon. also, gordon has been getting lit up by chargers fans ever since he turned down that deal, he's been going back and forth with them on twitter ever since, even after he signed with the broncos.

for a team with no fans, he sure as hell gets bent out of shape about what they think of him. dude is soft and when he messes up in Denver and the fans give him crap about it, he isn't going to take it well.

remember that.

as far as the broncos go, they had a good draft, they look like a well rounded team now, with a over-rated QB. you guys are geeked about that kid and it makes me laugh. dude is literally most known for rapping on the sideline but broncos fans all over act like hes a proven commodity, he's not.

yes elway did a good job getting help around him. the receiver room looks much improved and with the gordon/limdsay tandem, that offense is looking good on paper. I just dont know if lock is the QB you all think he is yet. but all in all i think the broncos may have the slight edge over the chargers and the raiders for second best team in the division.

my pre-training camp prediction:

chiefs 12-4
    broncos 10-6
    chargers 8-8
    raiders 7-9

that's it, that's all i got! my team sucks and the broncos are better (hope that makes up for me not being here after losing the sig bet, sorry guys)

have a good one guys and stay safe in these crazy times.
  • Stackhouser
    All-Pro
    • Aug 2008

It's good to see you Baph!!! Wish you'd come around more as we need other material to dispute. Your observations are spot on I think. Chargers D is gonna be crazy good. Only little thing I'll disagree with you, ever so slightly, is about Lock. I don't think he's the savior to the QB room...... YET........ He has a ton of work to do and there's a small sample size at this point, but he looks the part so far. Time will tell!!!

Stay safe as well!!!
    sigpic

Comment

• 58Miller
      Football Immortal
      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
      just dropping by to see how you all are doing. reading some of these threads, not much has changed in the world of smack around here since December lol

honestly i'm not really that interested in smack anymore but i wanted to stop by and say "hi" and as well as give my thoughts (and maybe a talk a lil smack) on a few things football related.

rivers is gone and it sucks. the chargers still have good talent across the board but no proven, legit starting QB. taylor has a chance to be a decent fill in "game manager" but he isn't the answer. Justin herbert, a very likable kid, who has all the physical tools with potential needs development and work. he's no guarantee to pan out but he's extremely smart, we will see.

I think the chargers are an extremely difficult team to predict this year. most are saying they are going to be bad due to them not having a solid QB situation. however, taylor is almost certainly going to protect the ball better than rivers and the offense did last season. the offense will not be as good without rivers and gordon but if they can not turn it over as much it could mean more wins.

they have upgraded the OL big time and now, even though i love rivers, all three of their current QB's are mobile. hopefully the offense can hover around top 15 with less turnovers, that could be a recipe for success.

especially when you consider how stacked the defense is looking now. the chargers defense is crazy stacked now. with CHJ and the linval joseph additions alone, that upgrades that defense by a lot. a defense that was already stacked with good talent. also, with their first round draft pick LB they reached for, hopefully upgrading the LB'er room as well.

the chargers are are a more one dimensional team now but like i said before, turnovers were a huge problem last season and taylor has always been solid at protecting the football.

melvin gordon......oh where to begin. i seen the thread about him and here is my response to that. i still think he's a good back and i think he makes your team better. however........

THIS DUDE......the one who turned down 10 mill per and called that "disrespectful" now took an offer for less and is clapping back at the chargers and their fans as if he was wronged?

gordon is a legit moron. he screwed himself out of a contract he called disrespectful that was better than any other offer he got. he makes a joke about there being no fans yet are fans going to stop him from fumbling the ball on the 1 yard line?

oh well, trade me CHJ for gordons cryin ass any day. CHJ who is also disgruntled isn't running the broncos through the dirt, even though they didn't offer him the best contract he could possibly get like the chargers did with gordon. also, gordon has been getting lit up by chargers fans ever since he turned down that deal, he's been going back and forth with them on twitter ever since, even after he signed with the broncos.

for a team with no fans, he sure as hell gets bent out of shape about what they think of him. dude is soft and when he messes up in Denver and the fans give him crap about it, he isn't going to take it well.

remember that.

as far as the broncos go, they had a good draft, they look like a well rounded team now, with a over-rated QB. you guys are geeked about that kid and it makes me laugh. dude is literally most known for rapping on the sideline but broncos fans all over act like hes a proven commodity, he's not.

yes elway did a good job getting help around him. the receiver room looks much improved and with the gordon/limdsay tandem, that offense is looking good on paper. I just dont know if lock is the QB you all think he is yet. but all in all i think the broncos may have the slight edge over the chargers and the raiders for second best team in the division.

my pre-training camp prediction:

chiefs 12-4
      broncos 10-6
      chargers 8-8
      raiders 7-9

that's it, that's all i got! my team sucks and the broncos are better (hope that makes up for me not being here after losing the sig bet, sorry guys)

have a good one guys and stay safe in these crazy times.
      Good to hear from you Baphs!

CHJ turned down a 3 year $36 million deal. He bet on himself and now is the 3rd best corner on your squad, he can’t complain, like Gordon he chose to be where he is today.

Gordon has ran his mouth, I hope he backs it up on the field, guy has had a hard time staying healthy.

Herbert vs Lock!
      I have always wanted to see how your boy Telesco
      would fair replacing Rivers.
      You have been right on Elway he has blown it at bringing a QB into Denver with failed draft picks in Osweiler and Lynch. Be interesting to see if Telesco can hit on his first early round Qb before Elway.

Hope your around during the season won’t be the same without you buddy
      sigpic

Comment

• baphamet
        Family Trust Beer
        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Stackhouser View Post
        It's good to see you Baph!!! Wish you'd come around more as we need other material to dispute. Your observations are spot on I think. Chargers D is gonna be crazy good. Only little thing I'll disagree with you, ever so slightly, is about Lock. I don't think he's the savior to the QB room...... YET........ He has a ton of work to do and there's a small sample size at this point, but he looks the part so far. Time will tell!!!

Stay safe as well!!!
        you too! let me just add that i think the jury is still out on lock. i'm not saying he sucks, i just think broncos fans need to slow down a little bit with thinking he's arrived. he's 4-1 as a starter, it's a good start but it's only 5 games. i think i seen somewhere that a pundit re-drafted lock and he went top 15 of the draft, people need to chill lol

Comment

• jazzbodog
          Football Immortal
          • Aug 2007

Wow! It's very unusual to have you posting here in a somewhat good mood.

Time eventually heals nasty wounds (Chargers last place finish AFC West) but I'm sure "mental" attention is still necessary for you baph!

It's odd you of all people state our QB is over rated and who loves a proven over rated QB, aka Phyllis Riverception.
          Are your apartment walls still covered with his posters or did they end up in the dumpster...where the belong?

You're off a little...actually by a lot!

Broncos 11-5 or better
          Chiefs 10-6
          Raiders 8-8
          Chargers 7-9 Back to Back basement dwellers
          Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• baphamet
            Family Trust Beer
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
            Good to hear from you Baphs!

CHJ turned down a 3 year $36 million deal. He bet on himself and now is the 3rd best corner on your squad, he can’t complain, like Gordon he chose to be where he is today.

Gordon has ran his mouth, I hope he backs it up on the field, guy has had a hard time staying healthy.

Herbert vs Lock!
            I have always wanted to see how your boy Telesco
            would fair replacing Rivers.
            You have been right on Elway he has blown it at bringing a QB into Denver with failed draft picks in Osweiler and Lynch. Be interesting to see if Telesco can hit on his first early round Qb before Elway.

Hope your around during the season won’t be the same without you buddy
            hey man! this post reminded me of something i didn't touch on. i didn't like the chargers draft that much and i think it could be TT's worst to date. his FA signings were good, really good. but i'm not so sure about Herbert, it's definitely a risky pick that has boom or bust written all over it.

then they reach for a LB who IMO wasn't the best LB'er available to them. lynn really likes Murray, TT and lynn both made that obvious. so that shouldn't go just on TT but the dude better pan out. all their other picks were just meh except getting k.j hill in the 7th round, even though they didn't really need him.

I also think josh kelly could do well, especially from a fantasy perspective. he's going to get a lot of the goaline carries that usually would have went to gordon. but ya, other than that, not really impressed with the chargers draft.

the broncos on the other hand, that may have been elway's best draft yet. the past couple years elway has drafted decent actually IMO

definitely don't like that lol
            Last edited by baphamet; 06-15-2020, 09:55 AM.

Comment

• baphamet
              Family Trust Beer
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post
              Wow! It's very unusual to have you posting here in a somewhat good mood.

Time eventually heals nasty wounds (Chargers last place finish AFC West) but I'm sure "mental" attention is still necessary for you baph!

It's odd you of all people state our QB is over rated and who loves a proven over rated QB, aka Phyllis Riverception.
              Are your apartment walls still covered with his posters or did they end up in the dumpster...where the belong?

You're off a little...actually by a lot!

Broncos 11-5 or better
              Chiefs 10-6
              Raiders 8-8
              Chargers 7-9 Back to Back basement dwellers
              not biting anymore man, have a good day!

Comment

• DevilSpawn
                versus you
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
                chiefs 12-4
                broncos 10-6
                chargers 8-8
                raiders 7-9
                Good to see you alive and well. I get worried about frequent posters who have stopped since the pandemic but then I think that I, like you, am not interested in smack back and forth at this minute.

It sucks too that both of our stadiums debut this terrible year. Your new place looks nice, almost as nice as ours.

My way too early predictions:

Chiefs - 12-4
                Raiders - 9-7
                Broncos - 8-8
                Chargers - 7-9

It's hard to tell what the effects of this pandemic will have on the season, if we even have one. On another sports note, I brought season tickets for the Yankees back in December. Oh well.

Comment

• baphamet
                  Family Trust Beer
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by DevilSpawn View Post
                  Good to see you alive and well. I get worried about frequent posters who have stopped since the pandemic but then I think that I, like you, am not interested in smack back and forth at this minute.

It sucks too that both of our stadiums debut this terrible year. Your new place looks nice, almost as nice as ours.

My way too early predictions:

Chiefs - 12-4
                  Raiders - 9-7
                  Broncos - 8-8
                  Chargers - 7-9

It's hard to tell what the effects of this pandemic will have on the season, if we even have one. On another sports note, I brought season tickets for the Yankees back in December. Oh well.
                  yeah the world has been turned upside down since i was last here. teams that are deep and well coached are going to be successful this year, if there is a football season of course. i think the raiders may have the last laugh in terms of having so many QB's, if dudes get sick.

teams that have no real answer at QB if their starter gets sick could be in a lot of trouble. the raiders will be fine in that regard.

Comment

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
                    team preacher
                    • Mar 2008

I think Herbert will turn into a good quarterback. It just won’t be game 1. I could see a similar development as Lock being able to be a game manager in the second half of the season, which may be necessary considering the way Taylor has played of late.
                    sigpic
                    Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

• EddieMac
                      Canuck Mod, eh!
                      • Feb 2004

Baph! Welcome home...if not for just a visit... hope things are going well on the home front.,,

As for the chargers...they might be fun to watch, because like you said...who knows how they are gonna be...but the talent is there,,
                      sigpic

Comment

• CanDB
                        Football Immortal
                        • Mar 2008

Baph…..good to hear from you. Look forward to kicking your Chargers butt in FF!!

Comment

• baphamet
                          Family Trust Beer
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                          I think Herbert will turn into a good quarterback. It just won’t be game 1. I could see a similar development as Lock being able to be a game manager in the second half of the season, which may be necessary considering the way Taylor has played of late.
                          hebert likely is gonna need at least the first half of the season, it would be ideal if they just red shirt him the entire season.

Comment

• baphamet
                            Family Trust Beer
                            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                            Baph…..good to hear from you. Look forward to kicking your Chargers butt in FF!!

i'll be in for fantasy for sure.

Comment

• baphamet
                              Family Trust Beer
                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                              Baph! Welcome home...if not for just a visit... hope things are going well on the home front.,,

As for the chargers...they might be fun to watch, because like you said...who knows how they are gonna be...but the talent is there,,
                              hey man

ya we will see, my expectations for the offense isn't that high. i'm sure they will be somewhat competitive though due to the defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X