• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CanDB
    Football Immortal
    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by orange crush75 View Post
    We gamble every day . The regular flu is more dangerous to kids then covid . Looking at stats if your under 65 your chances of surviving are good . The avg death age of covid is older then avg death age from what I understand. Yes this is killing people but look how many have become infected and survived.
    I will ask you this question.....do we understand the potential of long term damage to those who have been infected? Until that is established, I would never compare this to the flu, even if it's just young folks. We don't even know how it will look months from now, as in characteristics, nor do we know if it can be acquired more than once. And until there is some form of vaccine and treatment, we are playing on its field, not ours.

Comment

• Sam_Z
      Banned User
      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
      I will ask you this question.....do we understand the potential of long term damage to those who have been infected? Until that is established, I would never compare this to the flu, even if it's just young folks. We don't even know how it will look months from now, as in characteristics, nor do we know if it can be acquired more than once. And until there is some form of vaccine and treatment, we are playing on its field, not ours.
      I have an aunt with a phd in medical science/infectious disease. She says it’s going to be at least two years before an effective vaccine will be here.

Everyone is afraid of Gates and Fauci but even that is a long ways off, (Vaccine wise). We may just have to learn to live under quarantine for the next 2-5 years which really stinks but gradually we should be able to accept and do it!
      Last edited by Sam_Z; 08-03-2020, 07:49 PM.

Comment

• orange crush75
        Captain
        • Feb 2006

They've already said you can get it more then once. The antibodies only stay on your system for 3 months . This is why if you test positive you aren't supposed to test for 12 weeks . So the chances of a vaccine isnt great. then again people get the flu shot every year but still get the flu so theres that

Comment

• Dennis.1960
          Captain
          • Nov 2014

I will ask you this question.....do we understand the potential of long term damage to those who have been infected? Until that is established, I would never compare this to the flu, even if it's just young folks.
          This is what has concerned me the most for quite awhile...it's not the body count, it's the risk of permanent damage.
          "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
          PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
          LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

• Butler By'Note
            Super Moderator
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
            They went from 4 to 13 over the weekend. How is the NFL going to keep this from happening? I haven't seen how they're trying to keep players under lock and key.
            It's part of the amended CBA. It lays out exactly which risks the players are not to take, and the penalties for doing so. Loss of game checks for every game missed, and void of all future guarantees in their contracts if they test positive after breaking the amended CBA.

Not to mention the vast difference between the two travel leagues: Baseball teams fly to up to 3 cities every week, and have a lot of down time after each game to get themselves in trouble. Meanwhile the NFL teams will fly into the opposition city the day before the game, will go straight to the hotel and stay there until the next day when they will go to the stadium, play the game and then on a bus straight to the airport in order to fly home.
            Last edited by Butler By'Note; 08-03-2020, 09:21 PM.

Comment

• Butler By'Note
              Super Moderator
              • Dec 2008

And if there's never a vaccine or treatment? There are lots of things we've never found vaccines or treatments for, including the other Corona Viruses, right now the thought of either is just blind faith. At some point governments and people will need to start planning what life looks like in 1 or 2 years with no vaccine or treatment, because fear and blind faith can't last forever.

Comment

• Sam_Z
                Banned User
                • Dec 2004

They went from 4 to 13 over the weekend. How is the NFL going to keep this from happening? I haven't seen how they're trying to keep players under lock and key.
                Could you provide a link to confirm this? I’m not seeing anything online!

Comment

• CanDB
                  Football Immortal
                  • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                  And if there's never a vaccine or treatment? There are lots of things we've never found vaccines or treatments for, including the other Corona Viruses, right now the thought of either is just blind faith. At some point governments and people will need to start planning what life looks like in 1 or 2 years with no vaccine or treatment, because fear and blind faith can't last forever.
                  My main point is as follows....we must respect what we are up against, make no assumptions that we have it all figured out, and try to live as close to normal as possible without taking too many risks for ourselves, our elderlies, our children, those we believe to be "vulnerable", and even beyond those groups. The road ahead is seemingly without too many sharp turns and bumps and bad conditions, but we need to keep a focus on what we know for sure, and what we are not sure about. The vaccines and treatments are part of the path, but we have to hope for the best in terms of timeliness....and even if they will be available to us.

The good news for me.....I have faith in medical research and know how, and humans are adaptable, and will make the most of this, as long as we work together.
                  Last edited by CanDB; 08-04-2020, 06:55 AM.

Comment

• CanDB
                    Football Immortal
                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by orange crush75 View Post
                    They've already said you can get it more then once. The antibodies only stay on your system for 3 months . This is why if you test positive you aren't supposed to test for 12 weeks . So the chances of a vaccine isnt great. then again people get the flu shot every year but still get the flu so theres that
                    I was not sure how likely that was to happen, but having said that, it is a worrisome situation. And again, I see the flu as a different type of medical problem, though it does have a nasty side to it. But if as you say the virus can return to any of us, and given it's potency, it is a more serious threat than I thought.

Comment

• Freyaka
                      Football Immortal
                      • Jan 2007

I keep hearing the question asked "what if this never goes away"

When it becomes apparent that it won't, we'll adjust accordingly, but we can't just refuse to take appropriate measures now because it might "be long term" and we don't want to do this forever...

The longer you fight doing it, the longer this thing is likely to take and the more deadly it'll end up.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Spice 1
                        Football Immortal
                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                        Well, there were reasons for that, such as SARS-COV-1 and MERS-COV not being as transmissible and/or centralized geographically. They've actually used vaccine research from those two in engineering the new one. Moderna is talking about possible results by late October. Like some have already said though, the antibodies don't stay forever, though subsequent infections may or may not be reduced in severity. So, then you have a booster. People would still have to take it, though.

As far as mutations, like Influenza, it seems that is a question of whether or not new strains would be significant enough to subvert an existing vaccine. From what I'm reading, so far there's no sign of that, because of the way the engineered vaccine targets the protein that allows the virus to attach to cells. There's not enough "variability" in mutations.

The first results are encouraging. The coronavirus presents little variability, approximately seven mutations per sample. Common influenza has a variability rate that is more than double.
                        "The SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus is presumably already optimized to affect human beings, and this explains its low evolutionary change," explains Federico Giorgi, a researcher at Unibo and coordinator of the study. "This means that the treatments we are developing, including a vaccine, might be effective against all the virus strains."

Comment

• Bronco51
                          Football Immortal
                          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
                          Could you provide a link to confirm this? I’m not seeing anything online!

Comment

• Hadez
                            Football Immortal
                            • Nov 2004

There is more to the link than just the below part I quoted fyi

A deadline for NFL players to opt out of the 2020 season is Thursday, but later opt-out choices can be made related to medical or family circumstances.

Following the agreement, the NFL Management Council sent NFL teams an updated discipline schedule that included suspensions and fines for what is deemed "High Risk COVID-19 Conduct," such as going to bars, clubs and house parties without personal protective equipment or that involve greater than 10 people in attendance.

Players will also be subject to fines for refusing to submit to virus testing ($50,000) and refusing to wear a mask, PPE or tracking devise or failing to maintain social distancing during team travel, which would be progressive fines of up to $14,650.
                            So per example I have seen in another post if someone goes to a bar and get Covid19 not only will they lose money for quarantine but they will probably get fined and suspension game(s) check(s) lost.
                            Last edited by Hadez; 08-04-2020, 11:19 AM.
                            What is Grit? - Angela Duckworth
                            effort x talent = skill
                            effort x skill = achievement
                            How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

• Hadez
                              Football Immortal
                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
                              The big problem you will get is there will be 2 groups of people that make up a minority but will scream their heads off.

1 - The group who will not leave their house until life holds zero risk, they have already written off doing anything in 2020 and are too scared to move their life forward. These are the fragile types who generally need their hand held through life.

2 - A small group of people who live for drama and enjoy the big news and drama of Covid, they will be glued to the TV every day and shouting at every little development, happily swallowing every little detail and regurgitating it as gospel.

People like this will always frustrate people like us who just want to get on with life, need to work to pay the bills, and have some common sense of taking sensible measures without taking it to a stupid level of not wanting any part of life to move forward.
                              yes I see this.

I see on one side people buying too much into the dramatized news. There are people who will not go any further with their self education and run with it as this point.

I see people not giving some of the medical professional the benefit of the doubt in realizing we are dealing with something new...least on a scale this large. We had really bad data set until sometime in May as we were only testing the people likely to have the worst cases of Covid19. There will be mistakes and every mistake does not mean a conspiracy.

I been forced to put my head into hundreds of hours of science talk while gathering some of my own data because I feel the news is not doing a good job for the public in all of this. Even if we take away the dramatized parts of the news in all fairness we are not going to get the whole story in a 30-90 sec clip....it is on us to do some of our own research.

There are another group of people who are living a very comfortable life getting paid while at home. Some are getting full pay and some are getting partial pay. I can see why they do not want to go back to how things were before. The people I know in this group (full pay and partial pay) are buying hard into stay at home option at this point. All of them tell me they are doing less work than they were before while "working at home" and the people I know are getting paid 80%-100% of their former paychecks. I can see why they like staying at home.

This is not even yet including the people who been getting unemployment up until last Friday. In some cases they been getting more to not work than to work. Yet another group of people who up until Friday did not want people to go back to work.

This is probably the most complex issues that most (all?) of us have ever seen. It is very difficult to express all the different components, opinions and things we have learned.
                              What is Grit? - Angela Duckworth
                              effort x talent = skill
                              effort x skill = achievement
                              How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

• CanDB
                                Football Immortal
                                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
                                The big problem you will get is there will be 2 groups of people that make up a minority but will scream their heads off.

1 - The group who will not leave their house until life holds zero risk, they have already written off doing anything in 2020 and are too scared to move their life forward. These are the fragile types who generally need their hand held through life.

2 - A small group of people who live for drama and enjoy the big news and drama of Covid, they will be glued to the TV every day and shouting at every little development, happily swallowing every little detail and regurgitating it as gospel.

People like this will always frustrate people like us who just want to get on with life, need to work to pay the bills, and have some common sense of taking sensible measures without taking it to a stupid level of not wanting any part of life to move forward.
                                So you are saying there is no group with folks like you, who seem to only see the other side of it, and also make themselves heard?

I think you missed a very large group who just do their best, are cautious, and care about the lives of others as well as their own. They may not be too vocal, but they are not happy with the cavalier ways of some irresponsible types who seem to think they are good to go, and that's all that matters to them.

Comment

Working...
                                X