Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rst08tierney View Post
    Im in California. Our countys health expert originally expected to see 400-500 hospitalizations each month and did not think masks would stop or slow the spread of covid so did not require them. As of now the county has 56 total hospitalizations and 44 total deaths for the entire pandemic but NOW masks are required......wt?

Nothing makes sense except the DOOM and GLOOM from the media and its getting old because people do ZERO research and except everything they hear as facts.
    So do the medical experts do zero research? If they do, why not listen to them?

Teams arenít given the number one pick because they deserve it.

Theyíre given the number one pick because they were the worst team the previous season.

The hope is that they will get better by letting them pick early in each round. Assuming they arenít tied for the worst record, that means the first pick in each round.

A lottery is silly and hasnít prevented ďtankingĒ in the NBA.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    Teams aren’t given the number one pick because they deserve it.

They’re given the number one pick because they were the worst team the previous season.

The hope is that they will get better by letting them pick early in each round. Assuming they aren’t tied for the worst record, that means the first pick in each round.

A lottery is silly and hasn’t prevented “tanking” in the NBA.
    The bolded part is correct....the previous season. Not 2 seasons in a row. Lotteries are used in various sports. Not silly. Silly is knocking an opinion that has merit.

Quote Originally Posted by rst08tierney View Post
    Im in California. Our countys health expert originally expected to see 400-500 hospitalizations each month and did not think masks would stop or slow the spread of covid so did not require them. As of now the county has 56 total hospitalizations and 44 total deaths for the entire pandemic but NOW masks are required......wt? (county population 900k+)

Nothing makes sense except the DOOM and GLOOM from the media and its getting old because people do ZERO research and accept everything they hear as facts.
    I hear ya, this is the biggest problem. Some people will sit at home and watch the media day after day for months on end and believe everything they hear as gospel, they don't realise that the media sensationlise everything.

We are at around 100 deaths a day in the UK now. No one wants to see any deaths but the reality in life is that 1600 people die every day in the UK on average of age, heart problems, cancer, mental health, car accidents, etc....... so if I stopped living my life every time there was some risk I would never ever leave the house.

I drove on the motorway today, statiscally there is a higher chance of me dying in a road accident then of covid. I get there are a small percentage of people who are vulnerable but it is there responsibility to take precautions until this thing is gone.

The one thing that REALLY annoys me with the stats, and there has been a big conversation about this in the UK, is the government have admitted that anyone who tests positive when they die has cause of death as covid-19 on their death certificate. A TON of people have gotten really annoyed when their nan, uncle, etc........ have died to to a long term illness which has nothing to do with covid but has seen it appear on the death certificate, so numbers are completely skewed and hard to trust.

At the end of the day we all are adults and decide how we live our lifes. Me and my partner are always clean people who are sensible, but we don't go to the nth degree and act in a ridiculous, over the top manner.

My advice to the majority of the population who are not classed as vulnerable is to take sensible precautions (not getting in peoples personal space, using anti-bac gel when outside) but live your life and enjoy it. Unfortuantly risk and death is possible at any time and will still be here when covid is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    You know what silly is....giving the same team the #1 pick without any evidence of them deserving it in the second year. How many seasons in a row does the draft order remain exactly the same, after a full season of actual play? Probably never. What bothers me is the fact the a team could overachieve one season and basically be penalized for it, whereas an underachiever could get double benefit.

Draft lottery with weightings gives the weaker teams an advantage but does not guarantee the picks. Not silly.
    Can you aren’t making any sense. If the Bungels don’t deserve the pick again without any evidence of deserving it then how can you possibly come up with any method to allow any other team or having it without a single game of evidence that they deserve it?

I’d rather cancel the draft than award someone the top pick for some completely arbitrary reason. At least as of the last time we actually watched football the Bungles were the worst team. You can’t just change how the NFL has always determined draft order without a single game played between this draft and next.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    The bolded part is correct....the previous season. Not 2 seasons in a row. Lotteries are used in various sports. Not silly. Silly is knocking an opinion that has merit.
    This is where you go wrong Can. It will not be 2 seasons in a row because there wouldn’t be a season in this scenario. So what he said based on last season would still be correct.

It’s two drafts in a row but not two seasons.

Just in the North East of the U.S. , enough people died to almost fill Mile High Stadium, in 3 months.
    (That's a lot of dead bodies.)
    Its obvious a very contagious virus, that shouldn't be taken too lightly.
    Last edited by Capt. Jack; 06-27-2020 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    Just in the North East of the U.S. , enough people died to fill Mile High Stadium, ( and then some) in 3 months.
    I don’t mean to belittle Coronavirus but this many people or more die in car wrecks every year. Should we ban driving?

Over $2.3 million people die ever year from various reasons. Should we stop living?

It's just a shame that the United States has more cases than pretty much any other country in the world. It's a little sloppy on our part. I just looked it up and it said 38,000 people died in car accidents last year in the whole year. We lost 120k people in 3 months.
    Last edited by Capt. Jack; 06-27-2020 at 04:53 PM.

Just in the North East of the U.S. , enough people died to fill Mile High Stadium, ( and then some) in 3 months.
    While that is certainly a lot of people, it also lacks context. How many people die each year in that same area? How many of those people died with second and third factors?

I would also point to the 1957 H2N2 Flu (118,000 US deaths on 172 million population, 2 million deaths worldwide on a 2.8 billion population) and the 1968 H3N2 (34,000 to 100,000 US deaths on a population of 201 million and 1-2 million deaths worldwide on a 3.5 billion population).

This is a serious pandemic, but it's going to end up being about the same as the two pandemics I mentioned, and it'll be well well short of the 1918 Flu pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    While that is certainly a lot of people, it also lacks context. How many people die each year in that same area? How many of those people died with second and third factors?

I would also point to the 1957 H2N2 Flu (118,000 US deaths on 172 million population, 2 million deaths worldwide on a 2.8 billion population) and the 1968 H3N2 (34,000 to 100,000 US deaths on a population of 201 million and 1-2 million deaths worldwide on a 3.5 billion population).

This is a serious pandemic, but it's going to end up being about the same as the two pandemics I mentioned, and it'll be well well short of the 1918 Flu pandemic.
    Yeah, no big deal. But I remember the stories of 18-wheelers packed with dead bodies on New York city streets. They didn't know what to do with all these dead bodies. They were thinking of doing Mass burials like they did for typhoid years ago on Hart Island.
    (I don't know if they did that)
    Over in Spain they were using the hockey rinks as makeshift morgues.

Yeah, no big deal. But I remember the stories of 18-wheelers packed with dead bodies on New York city streets. They didn't know what to do with all these dead bodies. They were thinking of doing Mass burials like they did for typhoid years ago on Hart Island.
    (I don't know if they did that)
    Over in Spain they were using the hockey rinks as makeshift morgues.
    And those deaths have passed. While it's true the number of positives are up dramatically in the US recently, 65% over the last two weeks, deaths in the US are also down dramatically, 29%, over the same two week period. Both numbers from the New York Times.

People are going to catch Covid, there's no way around that, but that in itself isn't a bad thing if deaths stay lower.

Yeah, I got no problem with it, they're learning how to treat a little bit, I just don't want to get it. Some people get blood clots, lung damage etc. While other people have minor symptoms. They don't know enough about it, that's what makes it so dangerous in my opinion. It's all well and good until you're sitting in the hospital on a ventilator.

Yeah, I got no problem with it, they're learning how to treat a little bit, I just don't want to get it. Some people get blood clots, lung damage etc. While other people have minor symptoms. They don't know enough about it, that's what makes it so dangerous in my opinion. It's all well and good until you're sitting in the hospital on a ventilator.
    First, I didn't mean to minimize any of the deaths that have happened, nor minimize what anyone who has had it has dealt with. I realize that my previous posts may have come across in a callous manner, and I certainly didn't mean for that.

I agree the unknown of this is very scary. But thankfully they're learning more every day, and hopefully the big breakthrough is right around the corner. The current increase in cases is worrying, I do wonder if it might end up being the second wave that they assumed would happen in the fall?

As for football and the original topic, I think we're still in a wait and see approach. The leagues that are currently open and those which will open before the NFL will certainly provide plenty of insight for the NFL. If the NHL comes back and are able to do so effectively, that will be a big positive for the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    Teams arenít given the number one pick because they deserve it.

Theyíre given the number one pick because they were the worst team the previous season.

The hope is that they will get better by letting them pick early in each round. Assuming they arenít tied for the worst record, that means the first pick in each round.

A lottery is silly and hasnít prevented ďtankingĒ in the NBA.
    Not sure what you mean by the tanking part. Iím pretty sure this is being suggested as a one off in case a season isnít played and in which case no one could tank