Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    You know what Can. I don’t mean to belittle your opinion like that. But I do realize the words I’m choosing do that. I don’t mean to make excuses but it’s kind of just the childhood I had growing up with two brothers where a lot of our discussions came with that type of wording. It’s hard as an adult to get over bad habits. I often choose words without thinking about how the other person will take it.

It’s definitely an interesting topic and when I posed it to some of my group friends it definitely churned some interesting ideas. And right now I have 0 proof that my way is how it will be. It could end up as you suggest. And then I’d be the “silly one” thinking it has to be the normal way. We will see what happens and hopefully there is a season and this becomes a moot point.
    Thx pal. Face to face and we'd never have these little issues. I'd know exactly what you meant and vice versa. It's cool, someone didn't like the fact I "disagree" the way I do. But I don't see it that way all the time. I'm old school, and when others start a response with something that attacks the post in such a way that it is basically making the poster sound stupid (and I don't mean your post), or diminishes the effort you put in to write a decent thread/post, it annoys me a bit. There is a simple way to disagree, and unless someone says something completely off the wall, it is simple just to start with, "I see some of what you are saying, but I see it different" or "I do not agree but it's an interesting viewpoint". Those type of things. Now, this is not a business environment where we folks try to be professional, but sometimes I think we can do a bit better in how we "critique".

Maybe it's the old school in me. Maybe younger folks are used to the other form of discussion.

Thx though, for being cool about it.

I dunno, I don't see the season happening. We just had a record single day of cases today here in Kansas, we're going back into lockdown, I can't see a season happening. Especially considering they are now reporting that there are a lot of serious side effects that young people are experiencing and people struggling to recover lung function even as healthy athletic people.

I think we'll have to wait until 2021 at this rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I dunno, I don't see the season happening. We just had a record single day of cases today here in Kansas, we're going back into lockdown, I can't see a season happening. Especially considering they are now reporting that there are a lot of serious side effects that young people are experiencing and people struggling to recover lung function even as healthy athletic people.

I think we'll have to wait until 2021 at this rate.
    As I mentioned, I was more confident one to two months ago than I am now. It's not the number of cases that matters so much as the hospitalization and death rates, but I think people forget that there may be a permanent damage factor, and that is very worrisome to me.

The 4th of July is this SATURDAY!

What does America do on the 4th of July? PARTY PARTY PARTY!

How many rotten apples (people not wearing a masks and not social distancing)
    does it take to spoil the barrel (creating a substantial rise in hospitalizations and death)?

NOT VERY MANY!

But there will be MANY people doing a lot of PARTYING this SATURDAY.

America in digging a deeper "COVID" hole.

NFL football....don't get your hopes up.
    Utah Bronco Freak

I think they will eventually decide to either play a 12 game season, or slide the season to the right 2 months. Just a hunch, but it feels pretty solid.
    All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

Quote Originally Posted by Letswinplz77 View Post
    I think they will eventually decide to either play a 12 game season, or slide the season to the right 2 months. Just a hunch, but it feels pretty solid.
    If it were up to me Iíd turn this season into a tournament right away:

Everyone plays the teams in their division once. Top two teams in each division will play each other again for the champ of the division. This would leave 4 teams in each conference. Obviously they would play each other once until one team and is left and then youíll have you Super Bowl. The most games youíd play is 7. Helps limit the amount of games and potential spread. Plus, you could end the season before Winter really hits and the second wave arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Letswinplz77 View Post
    If it were up to me Iíd turn this season into a tournament right away:

Everyone plays the teams in their division once. Top two teams in each division will play each other again for the champ of the division. This would leave 4 teams in each conference. Obviously they would play each other once until one team is left and then youíll have you Super Bowl. The most games youíd play is 7. Helps limit the amount of games and potential spread. Plus, you could end the season before Winter really hits and the second wave arrives.

If they play, they should play the whole thing, regular season to postseason. The only thing significantly different should be the preseason.

They will need contingency plans to accommodate state mandates that might pop up in season.

If they donít think they can play 16 games plus the postseason, going into it, they should just cancel the whole thing and get ready for 2021.

I donít really want to see them half ass it just to make a buck.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Assuming any player or coach who tests positive for COVID-19 will be quarantined for two weeks, a liberal policy of returnable IR for those guys will need to be implemented. Some guys who test positive may be asymptomatic and able to return as soon as they are negative, but those who get sick may not be able to return right away or at all. The league had already increased practice squads from ten to twelve and now they're talking about sixteen. That might not even be enough. Twenty might be more realistic. While they're at it, they should probably think about bumping the roster up some, too.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    If they play, they should play the whole thing, regular season to postseason. The only thing significantly different should be the preseason.

They will need contingency plans to accommodate state mandates that might pop up in season.

If they donít think they can play 16 games plus the postseason, going into it, they should just cancel the whole thing and get ready for 2021.

I donít really want to see them half ass it just to make a buck.
    NHL cut their season short and went into a new playoff system. It sounds like itís going to be great and I canít wait to view it. No reason why NFL can figure out something similar that works for them without making it seem half a**. I think most fans of any sport just want to see their team play in some form. Now if itís a high risk, which I think it will be, they should cancel the season.

Just seen a report NFL may ask fans to sign waivers to join games. Personally, I'm all for it. I have my own beliefs and reservations on the whole covid topic and it's severity...but...signs like this make me believe that we will have a season

Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    NHL cut their season short and went into a new playoff system. It sounds like it’s going to be great and I can’t wait to view it. No reason why NFL can figure out something similar that works for them without making it seem half a**. I think most fans of any sport just want to see their team play in some form. Now if it’s a high risk, which I think it will be, they should cancel the season.
    That's right. You have to be creative, logical and open minded when addressing these type of abnormal times. I think The NHL did a good job trying to make the most of the situation. More teams are in it initially (than the playoffs) but that 5 game mini series to kick things off will bring the numbers down to typical playoff levels....and give teams some time to get their wheels back.

You probably know it, but their first phase of the draft was also creative, and interestingly one of the better teams may have won the #1 draft pick as a result. In my case it's cool, because if my Jets lose their pre playoff series against Calgary, we have a 1 in 8 chance of landing Alex Lafreniere, the top prospect. Similarly, a number of good teams may win the top pick, if they don't have a quick start in their series. So though you lose out on the playoffs, you could give yourself a lift for the future.

Anyway....should be a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    NHL cut their season short and went into a new playoff system. It sounds like itís going to be great and I canít wait to view it. No reason why NFL can figure out something similar that works for them without making it seem half a**. I think most fans of any sport just want to see their team play in some form. Now if itís a high risk, which I think it will be, they should cancel the season.
    The NFL plays far fewer games.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Assuming any player or coach who tests positive for COVID-19 will be quarantined for two weeks, a liberal policy of returnable IR for those guys will need to be implemented. Some guys who test positive may be asymptomatic and able to return as soon as they are negative, but those who get sick may not be able to return right away or at all. The league had already increased practice squads from ten to twelve and now they're talking about sixteen. That might not even be enough. Twenty might be more realistic. While they're at it, they should probably think about bumping the roster up some, too.
    It's one thing to see 1-2 players test positive, but what will happen when an entire teams starters test? 2 weeks missed games, are the backup/practice squad players just going to go out there and make the best of it? I think if the season starts, we could end up with a very poor product on the field depending on how situations just like that get handled. Do they delay games? I dunno...

It's hard seeing a way this will all pan out without some extreme luck on their side.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    It's one thing to see 1-2 players test positive, but what will happen when an entire teams starters test? 2 weeks missed games, are the backup/practice squad players just going to go out there and make the best of it? I think if the season starts, we could end up with a very poor product on the field depending on how situations just like that get handled. Do they delay games? I dunno...

It's hard seeing a way this will all pan out without some extreme luck on their side.
    Yep. There are many crazy possibilities most of which would render the season (if there is one) totally unpredictable and not representative of anything one might consider normal.

COVID-19 has changed everything including all sports. Minor League Baseball is cancelled. We'll see how it goes with everything else. The ABQ International Balloon Fiesta is cancelled as is the NM State Fair. Public School will be very different, if it happens.

The situation is serious and everyone in the U.S. needs to realize it and work together to deal with it.