Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 564
  1. #166
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    10,031
    Freyaka what is your take in the season based on the statistics of the Covid? Recovery rates are very high and that is only based on those who have been tested.

    I believe the studies show if the NFL and itís players and personnel choose to have a season they can do it like many other businesses have during the Pandemic.

  2. #167
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    27,351
    Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    Freyaka what is your take in the season based on the statistics of the Covid? Recovery rates are very high and that is only based on those who have been tested.

    I believe the studies show if the NFL and it’s players and personnel choose to have a season they can do it like many other businesses have during the Pandemic.
    I'm kinda done talking to you about it frankly. You're all about supporting them choosing as long as they only choose what YOU want.

    I'll support them either way. We could talk circles, but you've got your mind made up that this will just magically disappear and don't care about the virus so why should I spend all day arguing with you about it.
    Last edited by Freyaka; 07-05-2020 at 10:51 AM.


  3. #168
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    10,031
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I'm kinda done talking to you about it frankly. You're all about supporting them choosing as long as they only choose what YOU want.

    I'll support them either way.
    Ok.
    Thank you for the discussion.

  4. #169
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    17,392
    Iím curious if we should also believe the entertainment Industry is now dead?

    Because actors are not out making movies and shows for our enjoyment and most musicians are not making music for our enjoyment. Iím a little confused why one would lose respect for players/leagues choosing to opt out of a year and couldnít be forgiven but itís ok for the other forms of entertainment that are not essential.

  5. #170
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    10,031
    The NFL players, coaches, and personnel should all get to make the choice if they play or not.
    If they all choose to not play based on the stats right now which shows getting the virus is not high and recovery rates are between 97 & 99.75% Iím not sure I will get my hopes up for the leagues return. I have been a loyal fan of the. Broncos and the NFL for 34 years if they cancel the season I doubt my passion will be the same. If that makes me a selfish person then so be it. I donít understand why millions are expected to work and risk their health but players are more important and need to be protected.

    Sounds like I am in a very small group of fans who feel the way I do, so the league and team will be fine without fans like me.

  6. #171
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    10,031
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Iím curious if we should also believe the entertainment Industry is now dead?

    Because actors are not out making movies and shows for our enjoyment and most musicians are not making music for our enjoyment. Iím a little confused why one would lose respect for players/leagues choosing to opt out of a year and couldnít be forgiven but itís ok for the other forms of entertainment that are not essential.
    Hollywood started filming again in mid June.
    Apparently they love what they do enough to take the risk.

  7. #172
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    17,392
    Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    The NFL players, coaches, and personnel should all get to make the choice if they play or not.
    If they all choose to not play based on the stats right now which shows getting the virus is not high and recovery rates are between 97 & 99.75% Iím not sure I will get my hopes up for the leagues return. I have been a loyal fan of the. Broncos and the NFL for 34 years if they cancel the season I doubt my passion will be the same. If that makes me a selfish person then so be it. I donít understand why millions are expected to work and risk their health but players are more important and need to be protected.

    Sounds like I am in a very small group of fans who feel the way I do, so the league and team will be fine without fans like me.
    Who said they are more important and need to be protected? This seems to be just you feeling that way if they cancel.

    The point is that football is non essential and there is no need to play this year. Other than fans just want them to. Itís also not about their safety either. Itís about who they could go infect if the league didnít do a bubble.

    I canít remember who specifically but one NBA player said he would not be returning because he has a son with a weak immune system. Heís not worried about his safety. He doesnít want to risk others.

    I know youíll say ďthatís what people should do. Stay at home if they are easily infected but let the rest go backĒ. Which i donít completely disagree with. Just saying when it comes to the players itís not about their safety. But the leagues choosing not to let their employees risk infecting others.

    My job doesnít tell us to stay home and not go out but they do encourage all to wear masks when they do go out. I personally donít want to wear one so I choose not to go to bar/restraints etc.. but I see a lot of my co workers posting all the time that they are going places in public and not wearing masks. Or even avoiding places without over crowding. Thatís their choice but they can also be spreading to others that are more at risk.

  8. #173
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    10,031
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Who said they are more important and need to be protected? This seems to be just you feeling that way if they cancel.

    The point is that football is non essential and there is no need to play this year. Other than fans just want them to. It’s also not about their safety either. It’s about who they could go infect if the league didn’t do a bubble.

    I can’t remember who specifically but one NBA player said he would not be returning because he has a son with a weak immune system. He’s not worried about his safety. He doesn’t want to risk others.

    I know you’ll say “that’s what people should do. Stay at home if they are easily infected but let the rest go back”. Which i don’t completely disagree with. Just saying when it comes to the players it’s not about their safety. But the leagues choosing not to let their employees risk infecting others.

    My job doesn’t tell us to stay home and not go out but they do encourage all to wear masks when they do go out. I personally don’t want to wear one so I choose not to go to bar/restraints etc.. but I see a lot of my co workers posting all the time that they are going places in public and not wearing masks. Or even avoiding places without over crowding. That’s their choice but they can also be spreading to others that are more at risk.
    Appreciate your opinion and agree with most of your points, especially about the importance of the NFL. If the NFL is important then I should spend my time, money and support on something that does matter. Me and my family right now are doing our best to support local businesses that are trying to stay alive during the COVID, restaurants, retail stores, bike shops, surf shops. and barbers are not essential but if they are willing to still try and stay in business then they will get my support and money. I will do the same for the NFL, MLB, and NBA if thats what they choose to do.

  9. #174
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10,548
    Iím looking at MLB and seeing how they are trying to do things as a guinea pig for everyone else. Some players and staff have tested positive, some facilities were shut down. You have one of the best ever (Mike Trout) saying he isnít sure if he wants to play. He has a pregnant wife and thatís what scares him. There are other factors at play beyond the singular player. Sean Doolittle (Nationals pitcher) said sports is a reward for a functioning society, meaning if we were all collectively doing our part to try and slow this down, we could get back to seeing/going to sporting events that much quicker. I would love to see the NFL going at full strength, but watching a team without a full healthy roster waters it down for me, and that just isnít enjoyable. I am prepping for a lesser product this season.

  10. #175
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    31,547
    Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    I don’t fly.
    I do drive and stay for 3 to 4 days in different cities every week, and I stay in hotels and pick up food at different restaurants.

    Sounds like the NFL should be canceled according to your logic. I think it should be up to the players and coaches because they are the ones taking the risk. We can agree to disagree, saying that anyone who wants the NFL to happen this season doesn’t care about the players lives is a cheap shot and virtue signaling. Millions of people across this country are choosing to work everyday and despite the cases going up ( testing is also gone way up) the death toll and hospitalizations are going down.
    The people who have been hardest hit by Covid have been the elderly, especially those in nursing homes and people with underlying conditions. We need to seal those groups from the virus. Everyone else should be able to choose how they want to love with the virus.

    My kids school district has given three choices for parents.
    1. Full time back at school
    2. 3 days a week at school
    3. Home schooling

    These kind of options should be given to people at work as well. Everyone’s situations are different.

    The people taking the risk need to make the decision on what they do period! If you don’t feel safe Sicily distance until you do.
    This conversation is a good example of why every day this month the new case count for COVID-19 in the US is north of 50,000 and climbing. As of today the death toll in our country from it is about 130,000 and climbing. Can't get everyone on the same page as to how to deal with the outbreak which is resurgent. Can't even get everyone to generally agree with how serious the situation is.

    Classifying COVID-19 deaths as just another category of routine causes is difficult to sell to family, friends and loved ones who have not been able to be with the one dying, to talk to them and hold their hand to say goodbye. That is one of the normal activities to which we have become accustomed which has been cancelled due to COVID-19. There are many other many other things to which we have become accustomed that have been interrupted.

    The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta has been cancelled along with the New Mexico State Fair and Minor League Baseball. The big fireworks display at Balloon Fiesta Park last night was closed to spectators and redistributed around the city in four locations with no spectators. The Navajo Reservation has an 8PM through 5AM curfew Monday through Thursday and Friday night through Monday Morning enforced by the Tribal Police. Most of the Pueblos have locked their gates to visitors. I was looking forward to seeing our former player who has become the new head football coach at UNM make his debut this season, but doubt if that will happen. What will happen with public schools in about a month is not settled or clear at this time.

    When NFL teams fly, the passengers and crew share the air in the pressurized cabin. IDK how many are on one of those charter flights, but it's probably in excess of 100. They leave their city, fly to another city, come into contact with a number of people for a couple of days and return. The players have lots of physical contact with each other on the field. After the game they board the plane, breathe the same air and fly home to family, friends, teammates, coaches and support staff.

    Time will tell what the human and economic price of this pandemic will be. Some are very definite in their assessment of the risk and what to do about it. If/when it ends, we will have a clearer picture of whether or not we, as a country, should have erred more on the side of caution or not.
    Last edited by samparnell; 07-05-2020 at 12:13 PM.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  11. #176
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    10,031
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    I’m looking at MLB and seeing how they are trying to do things as a guinea pig for everyone else. Some players and staff have tested positive, some facilities were shut down. You have one of the best ever (Mike Trout) saying he isn’t sure if he wants to play. He has a pregnant wife and that’s what scares him. There are other factors at play beyond the singular player. Sean Doolittle (Nationals pitcher) said sports is a reward for a functioning society, meaning if we were all collectively doing our part to try and slow this down, we could get back to seeing/going to sporting events that much quicker. I would love to see the NFL going at full strength, but watching a team without a full healthy roster waters it down for me, and that just isn’t enjoyable. I am prepping for a lesser product this season.
    We have done are part to slow the Corona Virus down. The original predictions were 2 million would die. Sadly 140k have died., but we have slowed this epidemic down and the death rates are not what the experts predicted.

    A lack of adequate testing means many of those who have been infected with the coronavirus will not appear in official statistics.
    This suggests that many estimates for its mortality rate are much too high.
    We need to build better systems for sharing and reporting data.
    Public health epidemiology is the science of counting to prevent disease and promote health. We count the number of new cases of a particular disease; this is the incidence. Then we count how much a disease has spread in a population; this is the prevalence.

    When it comes to COVID-19, counting has been a challenge. Despite all the news articles and reports, we know very little about the incidence or prevalence of this new disease. Projections are based on models, and this uncertainty breeds fear.

  12. #177
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    10,031
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    This conversation is a good example of why every day this month the new case count for COVID-19 in the US is north of 50,000 and climbing. As of today the death toll in our country from it is about 130,000 and climbing. Can't get everyone on the same page as to how to deal with the outbreak which is resurgent. Can't even get everyone to generally agree with how serious the situation is.

    Classifying COVID-19 deaths as just another category of routine causes is difficult to sell to family, friends and loved ones who have not been able to be with the one dying, to talk to them and hold their hand to say goodbye. That is one of the normal activities to which we have become accustomed which has been cancelled due to COVID-19. There are many other many other things to which we have become accustomed that have been interrupted.

    The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta has been cancelled along with the New Mexico State Fair and Minor League Baseball. The big fireworks display at Balloon Fiesta Park last night was closed to spectators and redistributed around the city in four locations with no spectators. The Navajo Reservation has an 8PM through 5AM curfew Monday through Thursday and Friday night through Monday Morning enforced by the Tribal Police. Most of the Pueblos have locked their gates to visitors. I was looking forward to seeing our former player who has become the new head football coach at UNM make his debut this season, but doubt if that will happen. What will happen with public schools in about a month is not settled or clear at this time.

    When NFL teams fly, the passengers and crew share the air in the pressurized cabin. IDK how many are on one of those charter flights, but it's probably in excess of 100. They leave their city, fly to another city, come into contact with a number of people for a couple of days and return. The players have lots of physical contact with each other on the field. After the game they board the plane, breathe the same air and fly home to family, friends, teammates, coaches and support staff.

    Time will tell what the human and economic price of this pandemic will be. Some are very definite in their assessment of the risk and what to do about it. If/when it ends, we will have a clearer picture of whether or not we, as a country, should have erred more on the side of caution or not.
    This discussion shows the two different opinions in our country. I face the risk of Covid every day and choose to wear mask and socially distance even though my wife and kids miss hanging out with friends and family. We choose to safely live despite the risk of getting a virus that 3.2 million have tested positive for out of 40 million tests in a country with 328 million people.
    When NFL players and personnel fly they will all have been regularly tested, and will be more safe than the many flights going on now.

  13. #178
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    16,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    none of those things are contagious.
    Short, sweet and to the point. Thank you.


    Of course, I don't know if we'll have games this year. I do know that I'll be here watching when they do play.
    Administrator


    #LupusAwarenessMonth

    #Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month - Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe

    "a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

  14. #179
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    10,031
    So is it safe for the league to play or not?
    Seems like many want to state how unsafe a season would be, despite the numbers showing their is little risk.

  15. #180
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10,548
    Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    So is it safe for the league to play or not?
    Seems like many want to state how unsafe a season would be, despite the numbers showing their is little risk.
    Many teams play in states where is a large uptick in positive tests. I hear a lot of survival rates. But does that just mean you didnít die? That is one thing, but does that mean you return to your exact same level of health? If a player does contract the virus, are they guaranteed to be back to playing at a professional level? I understand players not wanting to take the risk, no matter how small some think that risk is.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •