Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 465 of 625
  1. #451
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,793
    Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    Another good story of someone finding out they have the virus and getting quarantined. In my everyday life all me and my family can do is wear masks, and social distance and hope those we have to work around are doing the same. The testing protocols gives these sports leagues a huge advantage over the rest of us, they can put a stop in the spread that the rest of the country has not been able to achieve.
    1. Push for and support only those businesses offering curbside pickup (fewer people indoors in confined spaces)

    2. Sanitize grocery items which you pack away. Also follow guidelines on other items and their surfaces to keep them safe to touch

    3. Wash your hands...a lot

    4. Social distance

    5. Stop getting together with friends and or family. Odds are they are not being as cautious as they should be.

    6. Wear a mask...not a scarf a proper mask. Also wash them often.

    7. Stop touching your eyes and mouth.

    if nearly everyone did this wed start to see dramatic decline in infection spread/rates in the USA. As fast as this curve is going up it would see a rapid fall and decline. There are some really disturbing medical studies which we are seeing now where certain subsections of previously infected people are showing really scary health issues...some fatal and others just destroying quality of life.

    Please stay safe all and Go Broncos!

  2. #452
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,793
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I am not sure the numbers, but I suspect a majority of canucks were ok with The Jays not playing in Toronto. Tough call, but in the eyes of many, justifiable. It was the travel to and from that caused the ruling. Unlike hockey, where Toronto is a hub city, and currently have 12 teams all living there. Clearly two different scenarios, and the hub city approach allowed for them proceed.
    as many know I am from the GTA. The news of the Jay's not playing here was for the most part welcomed. The government here has taken a much stronger approach and has held firm with its reopening plans. Toronto for example is still in a lesser stage of reopening than the rest of Ontario. This is in large part due to the mayor pushing for safely 1st. The same time he has delayed things he has also polled and worked with businesses to do his best to open more public spaces to allow for safer reopening of businesses. In two words...balanced and safe.

    Like the USA we here in Canada have multiple borders and a pretty wide array of overall beliefs. Quebec being very liberal and Alberta being very conservative. Generally speaking though we as a country did seem to universally agree that regardless of politics that we needed to lock it all down and we needed to all do our part. When things started to improve in the less densely populated areas it took the leadership of provincial government (equivalent to governors in the USA) to enforce the continued cautious approach. Right now Ontario including Toronto is seeing sub 200 cases a day.
    Last edited by Rich_C; 07-28-2020 at 07:47 AM.

  3. #453
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Bear Valley in The 5280
    Posts
    14,599
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    The MLB spent all of their time arguing with the players over revenue, and they never really put into place a reasonable plan. The NFL is the exact opposite of that, they have an extremely detailed plan that's now a part of the CBA and has been signed off on by the NFL, NFLPA and health professionals. The plans call for daily testing and even fines for players going out to night clubs, sporting events, churches at over 25% capacity etc. In addition to fines, if a player does test positive after doing these things then they will lose their pay for all games missed and all future guarantees in their contracts will be voided.

    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...er-activities/

    There's also the fact that MLB teams travel to up to 3 different cities in a week and spend 3 to 4 days in those cities. NFL teams fly to the city the day before the game, and then return home immediately after the game.

    Yes MLB and NFL both travel, but the two situations a very very different.
    I was waiting for this response! Great stuff!

  4. #454
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    I was waiting for this response! Great stuff!
    So in baseball I still have not been able to find the exact numbers but in MLB they have 25 players plus a dozen or more staff who travel with them. SO lets just for the sake of the argurement call it - 60 people traveling per team

    the NFL has a 53-man roster and of that usually most of them travel to each game. Add onto that a dozen or more staff like the MLB and your well over 70 people per team.

    Now if we can get past the number differential in the NFL then we need to start to discuss the contact and inevitble "closeness" a tackle sport has compared to MLB. MLB generally speaking is socially distanced. There are minor things here and there which aren't but for the most part during a normal game most players are already 6 feet apart.

    IMO the biggest question is this - how contagious is COVID-19 for those who get infected within a few days? I ask honestly because that would be the scenario by which players are put in. So yes NFL teams did a better job at the discussions then the MLB did they are simply at a higher risk due to the numbers and the sport which they play. Period.

  5. #455
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    10,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    as many know I am from the GTA. The news of the Jay's not playing here was for the most part welcomed. The government here has taken a much stronger approach and has held firm with its reopening plans. Toronto for example is still in a lesser stage of reopening than the rest of Ontario. This is in large part due to the major pushing for safely 1st. The same time he has delayed things he has also polled and worked with businesses to do his best to open more public spaces to allow for safer reopening of businesses. In two words...balanced and safe.

    Like the USA 🇺🇸 we here in Canada 🇨🇦 have multiple borders and a pretty wide array of overall beliefs. Quebec being very liberal and Alberta being very conservative. Generally speaking though we as a country did seem to universally agree that regardless of politics that we needed to lock it all down and we needed to all do our part. When things started to improve in the less densely populated areas it took the leadership of provincial government (governors in the USA) to enforce the cobtinued cau5ious approach. Right now Ontario including T9ronto is seeing sub 200 cases a day.
    Canada has a population of 37.59 million thatís less than the state of California.

    Covid cases / deaths
    California - 466k / 8,528
    Canada - 115k /8,901

    I would guess the having one of the lowest population densities in the world has helped Canada.

    Thatís a good thing, but comparing to the U.S. is not a fair comparison.

  6. #456
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    15,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    So in baseball I still have not been able to find the exact numbers but in MLB they have 25 players plus a dozen or more staff who travel with them. SO lets just for the sake of the argurement call it - 60 people traveling per team

    the NFL has a 53-man roster and of that usually most of them travel to each game. Add onto that a dozen or more staff like the MLB and your well over 70 people per team.

    Now if we can get past the number differential in the NFL then we need to start to discuss the contact and inevitble "closeness" a tackle sport has compared to MLB. MLB generally speaking is socially distanced. There are minor things here and there which aren't but for the most part during a normal game most players are already 6 feet apart.

    IMO the biggest question is this - how contagious is COVID-19 for those who get infected within a few days? I ask honestly because that would be the scenario by which players are put in. So yes NFL teams did a better job at the discussions then the MLB did they are simply at a higher risk due to the numbers and the sport which they play. Period.
    I wouldn't be worried about the off the field stuff, a team will travel to the destination city, they'll get off the plane right into 2 or 3 buses, and they'll be taken straight to the hotel whee they'll have several floors and conference rooms just for them. Then in the morning it'll be straight onto the bus and straight to the stadium. Everything will be sanitized well and it'll probably be the most protected the players will be for the full week.

    As for the games, there are 2 things working in the NFL's favour: 1. It's outdoors (or in massive well ventilated domes) and the virus doesn't spread well outside. Not to say it can't spread, but it doesn't spread easily. 2. If players are being tested every single day, then it's likely that all of the players taking part will be virus free, and you can't spread something if you don't have it.

    Australian Rules Football is currently playing and there hasn't been any mass spreading events from the players. I believe rugby is also playing in some parts of the world, and again I'm not aware of it leading to any mass spreading of Covid amongst the players.

  7. #457
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,607
    Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    Canada has a population of 37.59 million that’s less than the state of California.

    Covid cases / deaths
    California - 466k / 8,528
    Canada - 115k /8,901

    I would guess the having one of the lowest population densities in the world has helped Canada.

    That’s a good thing, but comparing to the U.S. is not a fair comparison.
    Please explain. Density of population is only one variable. Also, the national stats are quite different than just listing California. But density is a factor in Canada. For example, The GTA (Greater Toronto Area) has close to 7 million people, based on the last estimates I saw. Given the fact that The USA has about 9 times more people, therefore a similar city in The US would have to be over 60 million to be as dense in terms of overall national stats. I am not saying The US is less dense, but this is an example of how dense just one city is, in our overall demographics.

    But Canada has a lot of people in cities and towns, where people are close together. Yes, we have tons of space, but few people live in big chunks of this country. We are also travelers, and a large % of our population is close to the US border. Just info for consideration.
    Last edited by CanDB; 07-27-2020 at 08:05 PM.

  8. #458
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Left of Colorado
    Posts
    1,299
    Has anyone in this thread talked about "spittle's" (saliva, especially as ejected from the mouth) during the approximate 3+ hours of player interaction on the field and interaction with sideline staff during a game?

    It is proven and undeniable that talking loudly, yelling, heavy breathing (huddle) in close proximity to others is an easy way to spread and get the virus if someone is positive for the virus or is asymptomatic, no symptoms.

    As a player or a staff member this should be a huge concern, IMO.
    Utah Bronco Freak

  9. #459
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    15,334
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzbodog View Post
    Has anyone in this thread talked about "spittle's" (saliva, especially as ejected from the mouth) during the approximate 3+ hours of player interaction on the field and interaction with sideline staff during a game?

    It is proven and undeniable that talking loudly, yelling, heavy breathing (huddle) in close proximity to others is an easy way to spread and get the virus if someone is positive for the virus or is asymptomatic, no symptoms.

    As a player or a staff member this should be a huge concern, IMO.
    Yes, but you need someone with the virus in order for an outbreak to start. And with daily testing and strict protocols in place if someone tests positive, they should be able to keep them off the field so that it's never an issue.

    But that's definitely a big deal in football, but more so in college and high school, where those tests won't be taking place daily.

  10. #460
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    10,045
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Please explain. Density of population is only one variable. Also, the national stats are quite different than just listing California. But density is a factor in Canada. For example, The GTA (Greater Toronto Area) has close to 7 million people, based on the last estimates I saw. Given the fact that The USA has about 9 times more people, therefore a similar city in The US would have to be over 60 million to be as dense in terms of overall national stats. I am not saying The US is less dense, but this is an example of how dense just one city is, in our overall demographics.

    But Canada has a lot of people in cities and towns, where people are close together. Yes, we have tons of space, but few people live in big chunks of this country. We are also travelers, and a large % of our population is close to the US border. Just info for consideration.
    I compared California because they are similar in population. Canada had less cases but California had a much lower death rate than California.

    I didnít say your country doesnít have cities with many people itís just no where near what the US has.

  11. #461
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    17,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Yes, but you need someone with the virus in order for an outbreak to start. And with daily testing and strict protocols in place if someone tests positive, they should be able to keep them off the field so that it's never an issue.

    But that's definitely a big deal in football, but more so in college and high school, where those tests won't be taking place daily.
    And that worked out so well for the Marlins who were also required to test daily and have way less contact.

    Thereís no way to garuantee the NFL canít limit this thing without a bubble.

  12. #462
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    17,495
    And now Díanta Hightower has opted out.

  13. #463
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    10,045
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    And that worked out so well for the Marlins who were also required to test daily and have way less contact.

    Thereís no way to garuantee the NFL canít limit this thing without a bubble.
    Neither can your local grocery store.

  14. #464
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10,659
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    And now Díanta Hightower has opted out.
    5 Pats total so far.

  15. #465
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    6,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    5 Pats total so far.
    They are tanking anyway....ole belicheat probably told them to

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •