Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
    First bronco opted out in Kyle peko

Kyle Peko has opted out

Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    I compared California because they are similar in population. Canada had less cases but California had a much lower death rate than California.

I didnít say your country doesnít have cities with many people itís just no where near what the US has.
    I would attribute our situation to a reasonably solid plan, execution and consistency of message. I will not compare further because it is not what I want to do. I'd prefer to say we are different, but similar in many ways. Forget about empty space, think about density within various pockets. The example I gave you is Toronto and its greater area. We also have a number of fairly large cities and surrounding area that all add up to a good % of our total population.

Further, I can not remember all the feedback, but I do know that citizens are reasonably happy with the way the pandemic has been handled in the province I live and in others. I can research that. I think that is also a key measurement in all of this, given no 2 countries are exactly the same.

Canada has a population of 37.59 million thatís less than the state of California.

Covid cases / deaths
    California - 466k / 8,528
    Canada - 115k /8,901

I would guess the having one of the lowest population densities in the world has helped Canada.

Thatís a good thing, but comparing to the U.S. is not a fair comparison.
    Right - but that is why I used Ontario as my example and not the east coast or some nonsense like that. The GTA is over 6.93 Million people with a fairly dense population. In fact let me put this in perspective in terms of what I have seen thus far in terms of how the Ontario Premier (equivalent to a US state Governor) handled things compared to the news I've seen in the USA. In a suburb of Toronto called Brampton there was a house party which hosted 200 people. This was the Premier's response (https://globalnews.ca/news/7222733/d...n-house-party/).

So after re-opening without following the CDC guidelines the state of Georgia with a population of 10 million (2019) saw pretty substantial spikes in CODID-19 cases. When the Atlanta mayor did what much of Toronto and Ontario is doing (mandating masks in public) rather than the state Governor supporting what is effectively public heath he took the mayor to court (https://globalnews.ca/news/7182923/c...georgia-masks/).

I just see these approaches as starkly different. with these different approaches I am also seeing different results as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FL BRONCO View Post
    Kyle Peko has opted out
    Good choice for him, his wife had cancer recently. Glad he's putting her safety first.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I would attribute our situation to a reasonably solid plan, execution and consistency of message. I will not compare further because it is not what I want to do. I'd prefer to say we are different, but similar in many ways. Forget about empty space, think about density within various pockets. The example I gave you is Toronto and its greater area. We also have a number of fairly large cities and surrounding area that all add up to a good % of our total population.

Further, I can not remember all the feedback, but I do know that citizens are reasonably happy with the way the pandemic has been handled in the province I live and in others. I can research that. I think that is also a key measurement in all of this, given no 2 countries are exactly the same.
    Based on cases per mil people it seems a 1 Canadian (2976 per mil) will test positive for Covid19 for every 4 people in the USA (12495 per mil) who test positive. Based on death rates someone in Canada (7.89%) is twice as likely to die from Covid19 positive test. USA (3.6%)

Cases per mil taking from today numbers.

Death rates taken from July 23 numbers

I appreciate the concept of picking the state of CA but we can use cases per mil and death rate to compare areas of different population. I am sure like the USA ... Canada has areas doing better than other areas.
    Last edited by Hadez; 07-28-2020 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Good choice for him, his wife had cancer recently. Glad he's putting her safety first.
    He also didnít have a very good chance of making the roster.

No reason to risk his families health just to be cut.
    Last edited by 58Miller; 07-28-2020 at 10:12 AM.

He also didn’t have a very good chance of making the roster.

No reason to risk his families health just to be cut.
    Going to be cut or not for his family it was a reasonable thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    Going to be cut or not for his family it was a reasonable thing to do.
    No I donít agree, if Iím going to take a risk and it doesnít have a good chance of working out Iím going to not do it, if Peko was a starter making big $ he would have a harder choice.
    Last edited by 58Miller; 07-28-2020 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    Right - but that is why I used Ontario as my example and not the east coast or some nonsense like that. The GTA is over 6.93 Million people with a fairly dense population. In fact let me put this in perspective in terms of what I have seen thus far in terms of how the Ontario Premier (equivalent to a US state Governor) handled things compared to the news I've seen in the USA. In a suburb of Toronto called Brampton there was a house party which hosted 200 people. This was the Premier's response (https://globalnews.ca/news/7222733/d...n-house-party/).

So after re-opening without following the CDC guidelines the state of Georgia with a population of 10 million (2019) saw pretty substantial spikes in CODID-19 cases. When the Atlanta mayor did what much of Toronto and Ontario is doing (mandating masks in public) rather than the state Governor supporting what is effectively public heath he took the mayor to court (https://globalnews.ca/news/7182923/c...georgia-masks/).

I just see these approaches as starkly different. with these different approaches I am also seeing different results as well.
    I agree....

Plus we have pretty much flattened the curve.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I agree....

Plus we have pretty much flattened the curve.
    We flatten the curve in California and now we have a surge.

United States has tested 52 million ( more than Canadaís population)

Canada has tested 4 million.
    Last edited by 58Miller; 07-28-2020 at 10:41 AM.

No I don’t agree, if I’m going to take a risk and it doesn’t have a good chance of working out I’m going to not do it.
    I'm confused.

My understanding is his wife was recently diagnosed with cancer. She'll likely be starting treatment soon which can severely wreck her immune system and put her at a high risk of infection with complications and/or death.

If that is the case and I'm Peko, opting out would be the only choice. The only alternative would be to let her go through treatment on her own which would be nothing short of ridiculous. Family comes before everything - in sickness and in health.

Again, maybe I am misunderstanding something.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    Based on cases per mil people it seems a 1 Canadian (2976 per mil) will test positive for Covid19 for every 4 people in the USA (12495 per mil) who test positive. Based on death rates someone in Canada (7.89%) is twice as likely to die from Covid19 positive test. USA (3.6%)

Cases per mil taking from today numbers.

Death rates taken from July 23 numbers

I appreciate the concept of picking the state of CA but we can use cases per mil and death rate to compare areas of different population. I am sure like the USA ... Canada has areas doing better than other areas.
    By my calculation, The USA death rate per capita is approx. 90% higher. And based on a chart I saw recently, Canada's cases are flat and reasonably low (outside of specific locales) and as a result, many areas are progressing towards cautious but active recovery.

We flatten the curve in California and now we have a surge.

United States has tested 52 million ( more than Canada’s population)

Canada has tested 4 million.
    The strange (good?) thing here in Ca is that cases are very detached from deaths. The lines used to follow closely but now that testing has gone up they are more and more decoupled with cases rising, peaking, and looking to be falling off, whereas mortality has been falling since early to mid-June, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    The strange (good?) thing here in Ca is that cases are very detached from deaths. The lines used to follow closely but now that testing has gone up they are more and more decoupled with cases rising, peaking, and looking to be falling off, whereas mortality has been falling since early to mid-June, I think.
    Strange good for sure!! I believe a lot more people have had it, and the testing cannot keep up even though it has gotten better.