Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Not really no... We as a country are divided into these things called states... Had this been handled properly on a state by state basis and people actually follow recommendations instead of making it political and claiming their freedoms are being taken away, we'd be past this already and have sports, but noooooo We gotta stubbornly act like this is just a great big hoax.

I'm a little frustrated with this garbage today if you can't tell...
    I live in California that was one of the first stares to lockdown and never has fully opened. The worst hit area is Southern California that has had the strictest lockdown laws in the state. That area continues to have cases through the roof.
    I live in the Sacramento area we have stayed in pretty good shape especially in my county. I like you get frustrated that my area is in lockdown because LA is on fire.

I am not sure the numbers, but I suspect a majority of canucks were ok with The Jays not playing in Toronto. Tough call, but in the eyes of many, justifiable. It was the travel to and from that caused the ruling. Unlike hockey, where Toronto is a hub city, and currently have 12 teams all living there. Clearly two different scenarios, and the hub city approach allowed for them proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    New Zealand is a great example for a country that has no borders, it’s an island and a population of 5 million.

Getting 5 million to do something on an island is a lot different than 300 million.
    I went to a few cities in New Zealand in December.

Reasons why it is easier for them

• No Land Boards
    • No states inside the country with MAJOR differences in ideas how to handle this
    • No extreme political divides making it impossible to lead population of the country
    • We are just now starting to get serious about this as a country....other countries were serious about this in January
    • Our size and levels of leadership means it will take us longer to do things and it will cost more money to do it.
    • Most of New Zealand has very low population density...it is much easier to control a pandemic in those areas

I am all for looking at the countries knocking this out of the ball park like South Korea, Japan and New Zealand and using their examples of how we can do things better.

We also need to be real that we are not going to change who we are in weeks/months. We built the situation in the USA in decades...it is not going to change in weeks/months. We made our bed now we get to live in it.
    Last edited by Hadez; 07-27-2020 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post

• No Land Boards
    • No states inside the country with MAJOR differences in ideas how to handle this
    • No extreme political divides making it impossible to lead population of the country
    • We are just now starting to get serious about this as a country....other countries were serious about this in January
    • Our size and levels of leadership means it will take us longer to do things and it will cost more money to do it.
    • Most of New Zealand has very low population density...it is much easier to control a pandemic in those areas

I am all for looking at the countries knocking this out of the ball park like South Korea, Japan and New Zealand and using their examples of how we can do things better.

We also need to be real that we are not going to change who we are in weeks/months. We built the situation in the USA in decades...it is not going to change in weeks/months. We made our bed now we get to live in it.
    lol. That part alone was good enough for a CP.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post

• No Land Boards

Interesting post pal....

I hope the NFL doesn’t use baseball as the excuse to not play.

They do, however, need to make sure they are confident in how they are doing things.

They shouldn’t go forward if they’re just crossing their fingers and hoping for the best.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I won’t Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post

They do, however, need to make sure they are confident in how they are doing things.

They shouldn’t go forward if they’re just crossing their fingers and hoping for the best.
    I doubt The NFL will cancel the season because of this misstep by baseball. They should have confidence in their plan, and hopefully contingency plans, and if nothing else, learn from the experiences of The MLB, NHL and NBA. I believe they have been the most fortunate of these sports as a result of timing, which has allowed them to finish last season, conduct a draft and free agency, and then watch as these sports all try to either begin or conclude their seasons.

All in all.....they have had as good a chance to move forward as can be hoped for, and ideally will benefit from others along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post

I can tell you there are many businesses that do not actually provide an essential service but because they are large as a company they are open and doing business. The NFL will be no different.

I think the expression goes "we made the bed, now we have to lay in it?

The MLB spent all of their time arguing with the players over revenue, and they never really put into place a reasonable plan. The NFL is the exact opposite of that, they have an extremely detailed plan that's now a part of the CBA and has been signed off on by the NFL, NFLPA and health professionals. The plans call for daily testing and even fines for players going out to night clubs, sporting events, churches at over 25% capacity etc. In addition to fines, if a player does test positive after doing these things then they will lose their pay for all games missed and all future guarantees in their contracts will be voided.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...er-activities/

There's also the fact that MLB teams travel to up to 3 different cities in a week and spend 3 to 4 days in those cities. NFL teams fly to the city the day before the game, and then return home immediately after the game.

Yes MLB and NFL both travel, but the two situations a very very different.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I doubt The NFL will cancel the season because of this misstep by baseball. They should have confidence in their plan, and hopefully contingency plans, and if nothing else, learn from the experiences of The MLB, NHL and NBA. I believe they have been the most fortunate of these sports as a result of timing, which has allowed them to finish last season, conduct a draft and free agency, and then watch as these sports all try to either begin or conclude their seasons.

All in all.....they have had as good a chance to move forward as can be hoped for, and ideally will benefit from others along the way.
    I totally agree. Hopefully MLB can narrow down how the virus got into the clubhouse and make adjustments and share with the rest of the league.

Another good story of someone finding out they have the virus and getting quarantined. In my everyday life all me and my family can do is wear masks, and social distance and hope those we have to work around are doing the same. The testing protocols gives these sports leagues a huge advantage over the rest of us, they can put a stop in the spread that the rest of the country has not been able to achieve.

Another good story of someone finding out they have the virus and getting quarantined. In my everyday life all me and my family can do is wear masks, and social distance and hope those we have to work around are doing the same. The testing protocols gives these sports leagues a huge advantage over the rest of us, they can put a stop in the spread that the rest of the country has not been able to achieve.
    I totally agree. Hopefully MLB can narrow down how the virus got into the clubhouse and make adjustments and share with the rest of the league.
    To add my thoughts on these points

One of the main reasons I want the major sports to open up is because they have the resources to find out what does it take to "live life" under these "pandemic" conditions.

The reason we are hearing Congress talk about passing a bill that includes liability protection is because companies making smaller amounts of money can not afford to figure out how to protect their workers/customers.

The major sports could give us insight on how best to manage conditions on smaller levels and maybe we can learn how to manage things on larger levels with this knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Yep, this is not a good sign for the NFL season... Only chance is if they put the NFL in a bubble which I don't see happening.
    No I agree. The NFL would need to operate in 4 or 5 bubbles to do the same thing. They simply have too many moving parts and so many people to make the sport function. The sad thing is this could have all been avoided.