• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 58Miller
    Football Immortal
    • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
    Many teams play in states where is a large uptick in positive tests. I hear a lot of survival rates. But does that just mean you didn’t die? That is one thing, but does that mean you return to your exact same level of health? If a player does contract the virus, are they guaranteed to be back to playing at a professional level? I understand players not wanting to take the risk, no matter how small some think that risk is.
    I don’t know the answer to that.

WebMd:
    About 8 in 10 people who get COVID-19, the disease caused by a coronavirus called SARS-CoV-2, will have only mild illness. But what exactly does that mean?

Mild COVID-19 cases still can make you feel lousy. But you should be able to rest at home and recover fully without a trip to the hospital. Here’s what to expect and how to take care of yourself.

Scientists and researchers are constantly tracking infections and recoveries. But they have data only on confirmed cases, so they can’t count people who don’t get COVID-19 tests. Experts also don’t have information about the outcome of every infection. However, early estimates predict that the overall COVID-19 recovery rate is between 97% and 99.75%.

How You Might Feel While Recovering

Not everyone who catches SARS-CoV-2 will notice symptoms. If you do get them, they may show up 2 to 14 days after your infection. And those symptoms can vary from one person to the next.
    sigpic

Comment

• 58Miller
      Football Immortal
      • Jul 2013

Awesome to see Fant and Lock doing what they love despite the risk and getting ready for the season.

sigpic

Comment

• samparnell
        Soy Capitan Meshpoint
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
        So is it safe for the league to play or not?
        Seems like many want to state how unsafe a season would be, despite the numbers showing their is little risk.
        Sure, if you cherry pick them.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Freyaka
          Football Immortal
          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
          I've already done a thorough amount of pointing that out in the covid 19 thread...
          sigpic

Comment

• 58Miller
            Football Immortal
            • Jul 2013

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
            Do you mean only comparing cases of healthy people and not those in advance age or underlying conditions?
            I don’t think that’s cherry picking that is comparing numbers to who is in the NFL.

Older coaches and personnel obviously have a greater risk than a 24 year old player in great shape.

The bigger numbers I’m looking at are the thousands taking flights every day still for business, the millions who still travel for work and work in offices or places of work and are healthy and living with the virus but still using safe practices.
            Masks probably need to be part of our lives, more testing will result in more cases but will also continue to bring the mortality rate down.
            The sad truth is many with underlying conditions and advance age will always have to be sealed off until cures are found, the rest of the public has a choice.

It’s all about risks. Never getting in a car or a body of water assures you won’t die in an automobile accident or drown. It also means your convenience of travel will be limited and you will never enjoy water activities like swimming, kayaking or a simple bath.
            sigpic

Comment

• 58Miller
              Football Immortal
              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
              I've already done a thorough amount of pointing that out in the covid 19 thread...
              And what is your conclusion Frey?
              Stay at home?
              Until when?

The officials in charge of this have changed the goal posts over and over.
              - Americans shouldn’t be concerned
              - cannot be transferred from human to human
              - older people forced to go into nursing homes with the virus resulting in nearly half of all the deaths
              - Don’t wear mask!
              - we lied cause we didn’t have enough, wear mask!
              - deaths were reported despite tests and proper autopsies
              - now deaths have lowered massively and cases are all that matter despite and increase in testing.
              The more test and cases are proving the mortality rate is lower and the recovery rate is higher.
              sigpic

Comment

• Freyaka
                Football Immortal
                • Jan 2007

Do you mean only comparing cases of healthy people and not those in advance age or underlying conditions?
                I don’t think that’s cherry picking that is comparing numbers to who is in the NFL.

Older coaches and personnel obviously have a greater risk than a 24 year old player in great shape.

The bigger numbers I’m looking at are the thousands taking flights every day still for business, the millions who still travel for work and work in offices or places of work and are healthy and living with the virus but still using safe practices.
                Masks probably need to be part of our lives, more testing will result in more cases but will also continue to bring the mortality rate down.
                The sad truth is many with underlying conditions and advance age will always have to be sealed off until cures are found, the rest of the public has a choice.

It’s all about risks. Never getting in a car or a body of water assures you won’t die in an automobile accident or drown. It also means your convenience of travel will be limited and you will never enjoy water activities like swimming, kayaking or a simple bath.
                The average age of an NFL coach is 52.5, and few of them are in peak physical condition. That doesn't even take into account the average age of NFL teams staff like assistants, camera men, people who do maintenance on the stadium, their family their friends.

You keep focusing on the age of the players, there is a whole lot more that goes into an NFL game weekly than the players on the field and not all of them are in the same shape as an NFL player. There are a lot more points of contact than 52 players on each team.

You're taking a narrow-minded view of things and only looking at a small piece of the pie.

What happens if Andy Reid catches it and dies? We've seen his physical health, he's 62 years old, it's not a long shot that it could happen. Jerry Jones? How about Vic Fangio, you willing to sacrifice Vic to have a season? I'm sure no one would be too sad about Bill Belichick, but what about Pete Carrol, Ron Rivera? Bruce Arians, you willing to sacrifice their lives for your entertainment?
                sigpic

Comment

• Freyaka
                  Football Immortal
                  • Jan 2007

The officials in charge of this have changed the goal posts over and over.
                  - Americans shouldn’t be concerned
                  - cannot be transferred from human to human
                  - older people forced to go into nursing homes with the virus resulting in nearly half of all the deaths
                  - Don’t wear mask!
                  - we lied cause we didn’t have enough, wear mask!
                  - deaths were reported despite tests and proper autopsies
                  - now deaths have lowered massively and cases are all that matter despite and increase in testing.
                  The more test and cases are proving the mortality rate is lower and the recovery rate is higher.
                  I can't get into this too deeply because it's highly political, but the officials at the highest level have COMPLETELY blundered this situation and shown at every step the have ZERO idea what they are doing in handling it.

That's all I'll say and even that is probably borderline crossing the line on the code of conduct. The didn't change the goalposts, they had no clue what the goalposts were and thought it was just some hoax that would "poof" magically go away...
                  sigpic

Comment

• 58Miller
                    Football Immortal
                    • Jul 2013

I can't get into this too deeply because it's highly political, but the officials at the highest level have COMPLETELY blundered this situation and shown at every step the have ZERO idea what they are doing in handling it.

That's all I'll say and even that is probably borderline crossing the line on the code of conduct. The didn't change the goalposts, they had no clue what the goalposts were and thought it was just some hoax that would "poof" magically go away...
                    Well at least we can agree on this part.
                    sigpic

Comment

• 58Miller
                      Football Immortal
                      • Jul 2013

The average age of an NFL coach is 52.5, and few of them are in peak physical condition. That doesn't even take into account the average age of NFL teams staff like assistants, camera men, people who do maintenance on the stadium, their family their friends.

You keep focusing on the age of the players, there is a whole lot more that goes into an NFL game weekly than the players on the field and not all of them are in the same shape as an NFL player. There are a lot more points of contact than 52 players on each team.

You're taking a narrow-minded view of things and only looking at a small piece of the pie.

What happens if Andy Reid catches it and dies? We've seen his physical health, he's 62 years old, it's not a long shot that it could happen. Jerry Jones? How about Vic Fangio, you willing to sacrifice Vic to have a season? I'm sure no one would be too sad about Bill Belichick, but what about Pete Carrol, Ron Rivera? Bruce Arians, you willing to sacrifice their lives for your entertainment?
                      How many major sports athletes, players, and coaches have coronavirus and how many have died?
                      From what I know all have recovered.
                      I’m work on mainly new schools. I wear a mask all day, and i have my temperature taken everyday. We have hundreds of different people working our projects. We have had zero deaths and several positive cases, and all have recovered. The NFL will most likely have better protocols than a construction site and will have regular testing. From my experience I have confidence the league can be safe and have a season if that’s what the players and coaches want.

I understand you and Sam thinking I just want football and don’t care about anyone’s lives, but that’s not how I feel. If the entire league of players and coaches don’t want to play then don’t play, if enough do want to play I don’t see why they can’t make it work.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Freyaka
                        Football Immortal
                        • Jan 2007

As far as your question of when, eventually we'll build up some anti-bodies and it will be closer to the yearly flu, you can get a good idea by looking at 1918 and the Spanish flu. It followed a very similar trajectory to what we're facing now.

With the Spanish flu, they faced a similar mortality rate and infection rate during the first wave, it came back with a vengeance around this time in 1918 and had a far higher death rate. That may not happen here, but we are seeing a major spike in cases currently because restrictions (much as then) were lifted and people insisted on getting back to their lives.

In 1918 the death rate was so high during the second wave that hit from July on, that the average life expectancy of an individual dropped by 12 years. By the summer of 1919 the pandemic finally came to an end as people that were infected either died or developed an immunity.

Most likely (though it hasn't been determined yet) once you've had Covid-19 it won't impact you as strongly when you get it again and it will end up just like the Spanish flu did. It'll go away when a significant portion of the country has immunity.

I'm sure your response will be "see, we just need to let people get sick and get herd immunity" We need herd immunity, but it's going to have to be controlled and over time. If the cases spike dramatically all at once, it will overload the healthcare system and the death toll will be far higher than if we let it run its course slowly and through control over time.

How long? My guess is middle of next year life will return to normal.

This thing is far from over, we're about to hit round two.

https://www.history.com/topics/world...00%20Americans.

There's an interesting read on the Spanish flu if you want to educate yourself on it.
                        Last edited by Freyaka; 07-05-2020, 03:38 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

• 58Miller
                          Football Immortal
                          • Jul 2013

As far as your question of when, eventually we'll build up some anti-bodies and it will be closer to the yearly flu, you can get a good idea by looking at 1918 and the Spanish flu. It followed a very similar trajectory to what we're facing now.

With the Spanish flu, they faced a similar mortality rate and infection rate during the first wave, it came back with a vengeance around this time in 1918 and had a far higher death rate. That may not happen here, but we are seeing a major spike in cases currently because restrictions (much as then) were lifted and people insisted on getting back to their lives.

In 1918 the death rate was so high during the second wave that hit from July on, that the average life expectancy of an individual dropped by 12 years. By the summer of 1919 the pandemic finally came to an end as people that were infected either died or developed an immunity.

Most likely (though it hasn't been determined yet) once you've had Covid-19 it won't impact you as strongly when you get it again and it will end up just like the Spanish flu did. It'll go away when a significant portion of the country has immunity.

I'm sure your response will be "see, we just need to let people get sick and get herd immunity" We need herd immunity, but it's going to have to be controlled and over time. If the cases spike dramatically all at once, it will overload the healthcare system and the death toll will be far higher than if we let it run its course slowly and through control over time.

How long? My guess is middle of next year life will return to normal.

This thing is far from over, we're about to hit round two.

https://www.history.com/topics/world...00%20Americans.

There's an interesting read on the Spanish flu if you want to educate yourself on it.
                          Thank you for sharing this article, i love history and this is a great article.

We have come a long way since 1918.
                          Life expectancy was around 50 in the early 1900’s.
                          Not fair to use 1918 because Spanish Flu had it fall into the mid 30’s.
                          We live on average in the US close to 80 years.

The Spanish flu occurred during WW1

World War I had left parts of America with a shortage of physicians and other health workers. And of the available medical personnel in the U.S., many came down with the flu themselves.
                          Last edited by 58Miller; 07-05-2020, 03:57 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

• 58Miller
                            Football Immortal
                            • Jul 2013

As MLB spring training resumes, 31 players test positive for COVID-19

Major League Baseball, resuming spring training Friday, announced that 31 players and seven staff members tested positive for COVID-19 as part of intake screening. The 38 positives were 1.2% of the 3,185 total samples collected and tested, according to the league.

Teams are not permitted to identify the players who tested positive for COVID-19, but two players, Delino DeShields Jr. of the Cleveland Indians and Brett Martin of the Texas Rangers each revealed their positive tests. Any player who tests positive for COVID-19 must test negative twice at least 24 hours apart from one another, with no fever for 72 hours, before he can rejoin a team.
                            sigpic

Comment

• 58Miller
                              Football Immortal
                              • Jul 2013

As MLB spring training resumes, 31 players test positive for COVID-19

Major League Baseball, resuming spring training Friday, announced that 31 players and seven staff members tested positive for COVID-19 as part of intake screening. The 38 positives were 1.2% of the 3,185 total samples collected and tested, according to the league.

Teams are not permitted to identify the players who tested positive for COVID-19, but two players, Delino DeShields Jr. of the Cleveland Indians and Brett Martin of the Texas Rangers each revealed their positive tests. Any player who tests positive for COVID-19 must test negative twice at least 24 hours apart from one another, with no fever for 72 hours, before he can rejoin a team.
                              Would the players and personnel who tested positive have found out if they didn’t go into training camp? These sports leagues could help doctors and scientists learn a lot about the virus.
                              sigpic

Comment

• 58Miller
                                Football Immortal
                                • Jul 2013

Premier League Soccer:
                                Premier League clubs carry out tests twice a week, with the results aggregated and announced each Monday.

In total, 14,307 tests have now been carried out in the Premier League, with only 19 people found to be positive since mass testing began in May.

Bundesliga ( Germany Soccer League):
                                Germany’s Premeir Soccer League was very successful, and completed their season.
                                The league stopped publishing testing figures, although no top-division team reported an infection since the league resumed.

The only confirmed case of a player missing a Bundesliga game because of coronavirus was when veteran Bremen striker Claudio Pizarro was quarantined following a positive test for his daughter. He was found not to have the virus.

Not exactly like the NFL, but these leagues show that it can be done.
                                Last edited by 58Miller; 07-05-2020, 06:32 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X