Page 15 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    Because where in Florida are you going to play 13-16 games? Three stadiums can't support the entire league. NBA can set up multiple basketball courts in several buildings, you can't just make shift football fields
    Not to mention 32 practice fields.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    It’s really not that hard to change that at this stage. Those games were defined back in May when we were still in the early stages of the COVID impacts.

And good luck with that decision if Arizona extends how long their current lockdown goes until.

Refusing to acknowledge a need for a bubble is basically saying if a states stays in or goes into a complete lockdown that shuts down facilities like their use of their stadium then what? That teams forfeits their season only?
    My guess is that behind the scenes the NFL will have a handful of safe alternate sites that teams can move to if their state deems a shutdown necessary. This becomes much easier of the NCAA decides to play a spring season in 20-21.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    My guess is that behind the scenes the NFL will have a handful of safe alternate sites that teams can move to if their state deems a shutdown necessary. This becomes much easier of the NCAA decides to play a spring season in 20-21.
    I mean even if NCAA doesnít they donít play on the same day. So if needed Iím not really sure why an NFl game couldnít technically still be played on the same field the next day. Or even on a Monday night two days later if they want to allow timing to clean locker rooms thoroughly first.

I mean even if NCAA doesn’t they don’t play on the same day. So if needed I’m not really sure why an NFl game couldn’t technically still be played on the same field the next day. Or even on a Monday night two days later if they want to allow timing to clean locker rooms thoroughly first.
    I was thinking more about practice facilities. If the NCAA doesn't play then colleges could essentially rent out their complexes (practice fields, offices, meeting rooms etc.) to NFL teams. Although they might have some overlap late in the season, but they could work around that.

It’s really not that hard to change that at this stage. Those games were defined back in May when we were still in the early stages of the COVID impacts.

And good luck with that decision if Arizona extends how long their current lockdown goes until.

Refusing to acknowledge a need for a bubble is basically saying if a states stays in or goes into a complete lockdown that shuts down facilities like their use of their stadium then what? That teams forfeits their season only?
    I think you underestimate what it takes for a corporation to make a decision much less all the effort required to arrange playing sites, practice fields, sleeping arrangements and team facilities.

The games were known in Jan....the schedule was not released until months later and the only thing needed to be arranged was the playing location.

Why do you think anyone is refusing to acknowledge anything? My guess is the NFL has tossed around a lot more ideas than we have seen in this thread. They probably did an in depth risk assessment and decided on the current path...because that is what goes in on huge corporations.

I was thinking more about practice facilities. If the NCAA doesn't play then colleges could essentially rent out their complexes (practice fields, offices, meeting rooms etc.) to NFL teams. Although they might have some overlap late in the season, but they could work around that.
    If the NCAA calls it off, which the Ivy League already did, I canít see the NFL being too far off. I am seeing if other smaller conferences follow the Ivy League in shutting down fall sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    If the NCAA calls it off, which the Ivy League already did, I can’t see the NFL being too far off. I am seeing if other smaller conferences follow the Ivy League in shutting down fall sports.
    I think it's apples and oranges. With several schools going to online only for the fall, they can't shut the doors to regular students while having student athletes (football players) there to essentially just play football. Especially at colleges where football doesn't pay bills.

The NFL is only in the business of putting on football games, and they have to only worry about the health of around 100 people (give or take) that are part of the players, coaches, trainers, doctors and equipment staff.

There's also the fact that most college football programs rely on ticket sales in order to pay for that and many other sports. Without fans they're losing money. Meanwhile the NFL has teams turning a profit without ever selling a ticket because of their TV deals. So playing games without fans is much much easier for the NFL.

I think in general the kinds of controls necessary to sustain a safe season of league play are easier at the pro level than college, in large part because the participants are paid professionals and not college students. That said, I'm sure the NFL is watching the NBA and MLB closely. As a business owner, I'm all too familiar with the CDC guidelines for a safe workplace and what has to happen if someone tests positive and has exposed others. I'm having a hard time believing the NFL can pull it off. They have the $$, but the logistics are daunting, even if you take fans out of the equation and centralize play in one region. I think the best shot at having a season is for active cases and infection rates to be much lower than they are today by the time fall rolls around. But that may be wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by dgobronco View Post
    I think in general the kinds of controls necessary to sustain a safe season of league play are easier at the pro level than college, in large part because the participants are paid professionals and not college students. That said, I'm sure the NFL is watching the NBA and MLB closely. As a business owner, I'm all too familiar with the CDC guidelines for a safe workplace and what has to happen if someone tests positive and has exposed others. I'm having a hard time believing the NFL can pull it off. They have the $$, but the logistics are daunting, even if you take fans out of the equation and centralize play in one region. I think the best shot at having a season is for active cases and infection rates to be much lower than they are today by the time fall rolls around. But that may be wishful thinking.
    Reading the NHL return to play guidelines I'll be watching that with great interest (Go Flames!), they've got such a comprehensive plan laid out, including over 1200 tests every single day. Protocols on if a player tests positive, when they can return, how they can return. They've got separate plans for Asymptomatic positives. And they've got plans for players leaving the bubble to be with their wives of families for a birth or something like that. Each team will have a compliance officer who needs to certify in writing every night by 10 that their team party were all tested and all negative, or positives with the specific plans laid out.

It will be interesting to see if they can execute it as well as the plan is laid out.

Unfortunately that won't work for the NFL. But hopefully it'll help the NFL create their own policies that will help the season take place.

I think it's apples and oranges. With several schools going to online only for the fall, they can't shut the doors to regular students while having student athletes (football players) there to essentially just play football. Especially at colleges where football doesn't pay bills.

The NFL is only in the business of putting on football games, and they have to only worry about the health of around 100 people (give or take) that are part of the players, coaches, trainers, doctors and equipment staff.

There's also the fact that most college football programs rely on ticket sales in order to pay for that and many other sports. Without fans they're losing money. Meanwhile the NFL has teams turning a profit without ever selling a ticket because of their TV deals. So playing games without fans is much much easier for the NFL.
    I was talking more about athletes and staff contracting the virus. With the ramp up in most states, it will hit campuses and the athletes. I will be watching to see if itís just very minimal or enough to hinder teams from participating.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    I was talking more about athletes and staff contracting the virus. With the ramp up in most states, it will hit campuses and the athletes. I will be watching to see if it’s just very minimal or enough to hinder teams from participating.
    That's fair. It'll be interesting to see what happens. There's zero doubt that players are going to get it, so it'll be interesting to see how the NFL deals with that, and how many positives are enough to shut it down?

Reading the NHL return to play guidelines I'll be watching that with great interest (Go Flames!), they've got such a comprehensive plan laid out, including over 1200 tests every single day. Protocols on if a player tests positive, when they can return, how they can return. They've got separate plans for Asymptomatic positives. And they've got plans for players leaving the bubble to be with their wives of families for a birth or something like that. Each team will have a compliance officer who needs to certify in writing every night by 10 that their team party were all tested and all negative, or positives with the specific plans laid out.

It will be interesting to see if they can execute it as well as the plan is laid out.

Unfortunately that won't work for the NFL. But hopefully it'll help the NFL create their own policies that will help the season take place.
    This is actually what I am hoping from all professional. They have the resources available to put forth a much more evolved testing, tracing and some form of controlled exposure than anything we have seen so far. These sports leagues have an opportunity and the resources to show the rest of the world what works...and what does not...while they earn billions in revenue and employees earn money.

Iíve been one of the pessimistic ones this whole time but I will say the thing that is giving me hope is if these other leagues do begin play here in a couple of weeks. If MLB and NBA can get under way and get through August without having to halt play again then there would be 0 reason at that point for the NFL not to play.

Iíve been one of the pessimistic ones this whole time but I will say the thing that is giving me hope is if these other leagues do begin play here in a couple of weeks. If MLB and NBA can get under way and get through August without having to halt play again then there would be 0 reason at that point for the NFL not to play.
    NHL is starting up August 1st too, I feel real confident we'll have a season. Imo, it will be limited fan capacity at 1st then gradually grow

I'm hoping and praying this corona crap ends soon. I think that CDC or WHO should call on Von Miller to be on their team . He ate his virus for breakfast . He destroyed it almost as fast as he destroyed Cam Newton lol !!

On a serious note if these other sports go ahead and play without having to stop it be a great sign . I'm just wondering if there will be players opting out of playing like we've seen in NHL & MLB