Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    Of course the season will go ahead and start on time, no question about that. I can see there being limited fans for the first half of the regular season (25-50%).

I know different parts of the world are slightly different and the states look like they are around 3-4 weeks behind where we are in the UK, meaning that you are around the end of the peak but high numbers will still be coming in. Look at the big picture, in 4 weeks your numbers will have vastly declined just like has happened in asia, europe, and australasia, and we will still only be around mid-july.

If Germany can resume soccer on May 16, and the rest of europe at the start of July, and Australia/NZ playing Rugby league for the last 3 weeks then I think the NFL starting in mid-September is a non-issue.

We over here get tons of news and 'experts' talking about it daily. The general consensus is the first wave was December and the 2nd wave was April, and that getting another wave is highly unlikely. As countries open up there will always be small outbreaks but with small number across most of the world life has rightly began to open up, and that includes sports.

I guarantee the NBA will start on July 31st, and the NFL TC and season will begin on time.

The question will be the % of fans that can attend and how long into the season it will be before stadiums can be full again.
    Meant June, not July

Preseason is still TBD

Regular season is scheduled

https://www.denverbroncos.com/schedule/

I am more concerned about The NFL now than I was a while back, given the covid situation as we know it. It is rising in too many places for me to feel comfortable. What seemed like a long way off when we first discussed, is now just a couple of months away if we are looking at any form of preseason. And of course, you need to start practices and make some roster decisions earlier than that.

I just hope things settle a bit more fairly soon, even though the season could be shortened and / or started later. And even if some sort of bubble arrangement was considered (in multiple sites), it would be quite complex to operationalize.

BUT, I hold hope that this is a temporary spike in various places.
    Last edited by CanDB; 06-22-2020 at 10:18 AM.

Cov2 is going to keep spreading. IMO people need to start looking at what they can do to boost their immune system.

The people who are really suspectable need to stay at home until science gives them a better option.

Cov2 is going to keep going and not wait for us to figure out our proven science and how people are going to make a profit from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    Cov2 is going to keep spreading. IMO people need to start looking at what they can do to boost their immune system.

The people who are really suspectable need to stay at home until science gives them a better option.

Cov2 is going to keep going and not wait for us to figure out our proven science and how people are going to make a profit from it.
    I agree.

The question I have now is, are pro athletes being safe enough on their own, given the new cases among them? And this in a time when they know they are closer to starting/resuming their seasons. They are among the healthiest among us, and they must want to play, so are they being cautious enough? Because the biggest problem is not so much that they will be hard hit as individuals, but that they spread the virus among team mates, and potentially cause a halt to play. And the odds are we are talking 2 week quarantine periods, minimum.

So I just hope that they are isolating themselves as well as those who should be, as you mention. Because even a smallish group can infect a lot of players.

The bigger problem is that leagues can not re-engineer their plans every time a new situation arises. There are so many variables and logistical details that need to be practical, and well thought out, and it would be very hard to come up with new ones every time a spike or a significant change transpires.

Lets hope.
    Last edited by CanDB; 06-22-2020 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I agree.

The question I have now is, are pro athletes being safe enough on their own, given the new cases among them? And this in a time when they know they are closer to starting/resuming their seasons. They are among the healthiest among us, and they must want to play, so are they being cautious enough? Because the biggest problem is not so much that they will be hard hit as individuals, but that they spread the virus among team mates, and potentially cause a halt to play. And the odds are we are talking 2 week quarantine periods, minimum.

So I just hope that they are isolating themselves as well as those who should be, as you mention. Because even a smallish group can infect a lot of players.

Lets hope.
    We are not going to stop the spread of Cov2. It will not stop.

It is not just about being healthy physically but how healthy is the immune system.

Honestly from what I have read/seen there are times players immune system health will dip. After a game, after a long travel, anything that happens to decrease the amount of rest and certain deficiencies of things that the immune system relies on like Vit D. If one is 60 with a healthy immune system there is reason to believe they would have a less severe Cov2 experience than a 30 year old NFL player with a weakened immune system.

I hope the huge resources of the NFL are giving players/coaches/refs more information about what they can do to minimize their risk than we are getting from our public information sources.

There is a level of risk players and the NFL need to negotiate on.

I understand professional players of any sport not wanting to play. Than they also should not get paid and file for unemployment like the rest of America. Too bad NFL players may miss the extra 600 a week.
    Last edited by Hadez; 06-22-2020 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    We are not going to stop the spread of Cov2. It will not stop.

It is not just about being healthy physically but how healthy is the immune system.

Honestly from what I have read/seen there are times players immune system health will dip. After a game, after a long travel, anything that happens to decrease the amount of rest and certain deficiencies of things that the immune system relies on like Vit D. If one is 60 with a healthy immune system there is reason to believe they would have a less severe Cov2 experience than a 30 year old NFL player with a weakened immune system.

I hope the huge resources of the NFL are giving players/coaches/refs more information about what they can do to minimize their risk than we are getting from our public information sources.

There is a level of risk players and the NFL need to negotiate on.

I understand professional players of any sport not wanting to play. Than they also should not get paid and file for unemployment like the rest of America. Too bad NFL players may miss the extra 600 a week.
    Again, I agree with you on most of this, although I think the age/health of NFL players is better overall than the general public. Regardless, are you feeling a little concerned about resumption in play, in this and other sports, or are you feeling it's "a go"? My point is, I feel a little less confident than I did a month ago.

Yes, the covid situation will not likely go away soon, in my opinion, not until we have vaccines and cures....and being an optimist, I see them coming as quickly as can be expected. Perhaps this thing will die out as well, but not betting on it. But if we assume that the virus will still be active for the next year or so (or whenever), do we feel like sports leagues can operate with a dark cloud over their shoulder, as in, outbreaks within teams? Because you can not stop and start too many times. And in the case of the playoffs, for basketball and hockey, losing top tier players would be a significant problem, especially as you get closer to the finals. Injuries do happen, but you can not lose star players as the playoffs wind down, because of a virus, a virus that held you back this long. With everything else that has gone down on these leagues, it would almost be a joke to finish seasons on such a negative note.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Again, I agree with you on most of this, although I think the age/health of NFL players is better overall than the general public. Regardless, are you feeling a little concerned about resumption in play, in this and other sports, or are you feeling it's "a go"? My point is, I feel a little less confident than I did a month ago.

Yes, the covid situation will not likely go away soon, in my opinion, not until we have vaccines and cures....and being an optimist, I see them coming as quickly as can be expected. Perhaps this thing will die out as well, but not betting on it. But if we assume that the virus will still be active for the next year or so (or whenever), do we feel like sports leagues can operate with a dark cloud over their shoulder, as in, outbreaks within teams? Because you can not stop and start too many times. And in the case of the playoffs, for basketball and hockey, losing top tier players would be a significant problem, especially as you get closer to the finals. Injuries do happen, but you can not lose star players as the playoffs wind down, because of a virus, a virus that held you back this long. With everything else that has gone down on these leagues, it would almost be a joke to finish seasons on such a negative note.
    If I was a player I would vote a full go. I think my immune system is strong enough to fight it off should I get infected. I do have a couple health conditions I am concerned about but I have done some research and found that I have already been doing some things before 2020 that data shows helps prevent the worse cov2 symptoms and I have added more things to my plan.

Basically this is about how the owners and players feel about going forward. If I was a member of either side I would want some kind of deal struct from the beginning which addressed as many concerns as possible. Try to get as much information out to as many people as possible.

They are probably not going to make everyone happy on everything so ultimately have a deal in place and agreed upon like a new CBA.

My own idea....I would implement a high level of personal tracing the likes of which is used in South Korea. Each player/coach/ref tested regularly and keep track of where they go. That way when someone does test positive...it WILL happen....there is good data to indicate who was exposed. The NFL has the resources to do it and we may learn something from the data collected.

They should expand scout teams and expect to replace players/coaches/refs as people test positive. There should also be some conversation now that if the amount of people testing positive goes past a certain level than have plans in place as to stop play. If it gets so bad they stop play I am not sure they should resume but that is a discussion for the Owners and Players to have.
    Last edited by Hadez; 06-22-2020 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by orange crush75 View Post
    Very interesting I am starting to suspect that the 2020 Season will not start on time if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Oh I must’ve missed it. I was on the beer aisle.
    Good isle to be on! Grab me a Reds Apple Ale.

I think there's a lot of questions like what happens if the QB room all get infected and need to be isolated? For the time being I'm pretty much pretending that the NFL is happening as usual probably more because that's what I want instead of what may actually happen.

Imagine how weird it would get if a season was wiped out. How would you even handle back to back drafts with the same season to base it on? I don't think it would be fair to use the same selection order, because it would be more advantageous to the weaker teams. Then again, if college didn't play, imagine how difficult it would be to provide reasonable assessments of the draft class.

Oh well....I'll think positive on all of this.

The players don't make $45,000 a year. The older ones have families and a nice house. They have portfolios. Gone are the days of running through your money without professional guidance. So I don't believe everyone will be motivated in the same way. I suspect even some rookies would secretly like to see the season scrubbed.
    Not me. These guys are hella strong and the medical responses to positive cases are improving. Provide for expanded rosters and let's play.

I know its a different country but don't you think the states would look a bit silly if they couldn't get a season started in mid-September, when the Bundesliga (Germany) began mid-May, and the other soccer league at the start of June (including the UK which had a higher death total then other european countries).

We are currently at around 15 deaths a day, out of a 1600 per day average. We are testing 1500 football players plus and returning 2-3 positive results and they have only been mild cases.

My point is that in 3-4 weeks the States will come down like everywhere else. NZ are completely back to normal and Australia are letting in 10,000 fans to the rugby league in around 10 days.

I won't go into the 'second wave' argument as I believe its fantasy and we get told over here its very unlikely, Germany have been open a long time now and are fine barring the odd 40 person outbreak here and there.

I just can't get my head around why on earth the NFL can't start mid-September which is MONTHS behind other big countries starting up their sports. Just completely illogical and lacking any perspective IMO.