Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Clay Mathews interest?

Was looking at free agents still available and saw he hasnít signed with anyone yet.

For the right price he could be an interesting OLB / ILB depth player. Always been a smart impact player. Still had enough in his tank to get 8 sacks last year.

Adds some interesting possibilities to the team. Thoughts?

I like our youth movement... but LB is where we are thin...so ya. He might be interesting at the right price..
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    I like our youth movement... but LB is where we are thin...so ya. He might be interesting at the right price..
    Fabio at LB... hmm...

Just thinking he can be a pretty solid backup to Miller or Chubb. Could be used a few series for rest or if one has a couple games out for injury.

And his final year in GB he did a great job at ILB. Again for rest or if starters get injured.

I like the youth movement but having a vet like Mathews in the mix changes things a bit for me.

I've recently become a fan of Todd Davis...

Clay Mathews next to Alexander Johnson sounds better.

ILB: Alexander Johnson, Clay Mathews, Todd Davis, Justin Strnad

Our other ILBs probably wouldn't make other squads.

I think he would probably start as an ILB. I don’t see the point in signing him for anything else.

I’m not well versed on who we have inside and how good they are, I just find it hard to believe that Matthews wouldn’t be in the top two for ILB for the Broncos.
    Last edited by broncolee; 06-22-2020 at 08:22 PM.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

We are entrenched in playing the long game now with a coach who is willing to play young guys, and a front office who has finally started to move on from veterans who were underperforming. The future is bright, playing young guys, and taking some bumps in the short-term will only accelerate the development of the franchise in the hope to not make it 4 straight losing seasons in a row. Hard no regardless of price, and that goes for most washed veterans who once were.

Also, Todd Davis is solid, Johnson is developing, and Strnad has potential to play a role for the team. We are good with those guys and Jewell as a backup who can give you halfway decent snaps in replacement. If injuries happen, go slap a veteran band-aid on it, but not going into camp.

I would trade Mathews for Davis in a second, and I don't see Davis being here long term anyway. Mathews would also be a great one for our young guys to learn from.
    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Quote Originally Posted by FL BRONCO View Post
    I would trade Mathews for Davis in a second, and I don't see Davis being here long term anyway. Mathews would also be a great one for our young guys to learn from.
    Davis is 28 years old, entering his prime, been here for a while, and I am sure carries respect in the locker room. Obviously he is on an expiring deal, but Davis long-term and short-term offers more.

This is a tough one. While I donít think Clay is anything special at this point (always thought he was a tad overrated to begin with), he would bring a champion/veteran voice. I wouldnít want him at ILB at all as heís just more of the same of what we have already and listening on the Pat McAfee show he doesnít seem to want to play there.

But as a pass rusher, I do think he can bring his own bag of tricks to the table which would help Chubb out immensely and could prolong Vonís effectiveness. He was always good with his hands which is Chubb will have to continuously develop (not saying theyíre bad now) as he doesnít have elite bend or quickness. For a lower contract amount I think itíd be solid and while Iím high on Hollins and Reedís potential as pass rushers, Matthews probably brings a little more to the table at the moment.

This team is young and the young guys do need to play but a veteran voice would help out although I think itís needed more on the offensive side.

i would pass we need a coverage backer which matthews at this point in the career is not. we need some one with elite speed who can cover TE or RB. i don't think matthews fixes that or adds that. he was never the best Coverage backer when he was in his prime. now he is on his last legs lost alot of his speed and would be a back up at best on the team. isn't worth the time or money. lets develop our young guys.

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Davis is 28 years old, entering his prime, been here for a while, and I am sure carries respect in the locker room. Obviously he is on an expiring deal, but Davis long-term and short-term offers more.
    We will agree to disagree on this, I think Davis is a hustler, but I think he is already overpaid for what he offers. I Would take Mathews with his knowledge and talent over Davis's age any day of the week and I think we would have improved our linebacking core for now and the future because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    i would pass we need a coverage backer which matthews at this point in the career is not. we need some one with elite speed who can cover TE or RB. i don't think matthews fixes that or adds that. he was never the best Coverage backer when he was in his prime. now he is on his last legs lost alot of his speed and would be a back up at best on the team. isn't worth the time or money. lets develop our young guys.
    Your right Mthews isn't the answere in coverage. Neither is Davis. As for developing our younger talent, I am all in. I don't think Davis is here long term and I think Mathews would be a better move for doing that then Davis. If I had to choose between both of them for a 1 year contract , wouldn't be a second thought. I'd sign Mathews and put out some feelers on Davis and his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by FL BRONCO View Post
    We will agree to disagree on this, I think Davis is a hustler, but I think he is already overpaid for what he offers. I Would take Mathews with his knowledge and talent over Davis's age any day of the week and I think we would have improved our linebacking core for now and the future because of it.
    I would say I agree with you on this idea. IF, the price is right. Clay in the mix of top 4 ILB is an upgrade. Probably say goodbye to Jewel. And as a backup to Von and Chubb heís another roster upgrade.
    Makes our defense better. Not unlike bringing in Lynch, Dawkins, or Ware. All elite players when younger. All older and on the downside of their careers. But players like that bring so many intangibles along with them itís hard to quantify their impact. Itís huge.
    I say do it, and please.