Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    To me it's all about communicating with the Indigenous and other related communities (who are tied to any of these names) and basically get an idea if they are offended, or do not care for the use of the nickname. If the % of those polled is relatively negative, change the name. If it is a minor thing and is not a problem to those communities, and may in fact have a positive note to them, as in strength, courage, stoic or whatever, then leave as they are.

I don't have a definition of what is "relatively negative", but it will be pretty clear if you ask the various communities if it is offensive to more than just a few.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    To me it's all about communicating with the Indigenous and other related communities (who are tied to any of these names) and basically get an idea if they are offended, or do not care for the use of the nickname. If the % of those polled is relatively negative, change the name. If it is a minor thing and is not a problem to those communities, and may in fact have a positive note to them, as in strength, courage, stoic or whatever, then leave as they are.

I don't have a definition of what is "relatively negative", but it will be pretty clear if you ask the various communities if it is offensive to more than just a few.
    As with (what seems like) a majority of these situations, white people are significantly more offended on behalf of the "affected" community. Savior complex, or something. They've done polls in the past of local tribe leaders and overwhelmingly, they don't care. The polls are one of the things that Snyder has hung his hat on over the last decade in the fight to keep the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua2585 View Post
    As with (what seems like) a majority of these situations, white people are significantly more offended on behalf of the "affected" community. Savior complex, or something. They've done polls in the past of local tribe leaders and overwhelmingly, they don't care. The polls are one of the things that Snyder has hung his hat on over the last decade in the fight to keep the name.
    It's good that they have conducted such polls. Not sure what the threshold would be, in that too many are still offended (or conversely, a very small minority), but it's always smart to ask those who may be offended, IF they are offended. Again, that's the rule I try to follow...do not assume you know what is offensive to others, unless you are in their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua2585 View Post
    Polls are really easy to rig. Using a racist phrase as a team name is inappropriate

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/07/09/native-american-groups-redskins-name-change-indians-braves-blackhawks/%3foutputType=amp
    Last edited by Kyousukeneko; 07-09-2020 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    My opinion is that the name is offensive to some, and it probably should be changed, because it was used as a slur at one point in time.

BUT at the same time I also think that it's completely wrong that Nike stopped selling the team merchandise on their website and I think the NFL should have immediately threatened them with a lawsuit for breach of contract. Nike has a contract to make and sell gear for ALL NFL teams, if they don't want to do that then they should look to leave the contract. I'm also not sure Nike should be lecturing anyone on anything, given some of their alleged issues.
    I don't know if you know about this, but Google: "Jun Takahashi, China"

"On Friday, three separate letters signed by 87 investment firms and shareholders worth a collective $620 billion asked Nike, FedEx and PepsiCo to terminate their business relationships with the NFLís Washington Redskins unless the team agrees to change its controversial name," according to Adweek.
    https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...j1s0wtd6x1uo4e

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    My opinion is that the name is offensive to some, and it probably should be changed, because it was used as a slur at one point in time.

BUT at the same time I also think that it's completely wrong that Nike stopped selling the team merchandise on their website and I think the NFL should have immediately threatened them with a lawsuit for breach of contract. Nike has a contract to make and sell gear for ALL NFL teams, if they don't want to do that then they should look to leave the contract. I'm also not sure Nike should be lecturing anyone on anything, given some of their alleged issues.
    Roger Goodell may have gone postal if the owners tried to sue Nike. Thereís no way he wants any part of that bad idea. Itís only a bad idea because of the optics, but itís a bad idea nonetheless. I think Nike did what they did because they were confident the NFL wouldnít push back.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

In another thread I half jokingly half seriously renamed the Chiefs as the KC Wolves. This article mentions the name Redwolves (or Red Wolves) as one of the many possible name changes.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilSpawn View Post
    In another thread I half jokingly half seriously renamed the Chiefs as the KC Wolves. This article mentions the name Redwolves (or Red Wolves) as one of the many possible name changes.
    Hmm...not sure if "Red Wolves" passes the PC test. It might offend people that have been bitten by dogs.
    To infinity...and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    Hmm...not sure if "Red Wolves" passes the PC test. It might offend people that have been bitten by dogs.
    Or shapeshifters.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Or shapeshifters.
    That's true - I didn't even think of shapeshifters.

I was wondering about KC "BBQ" something or other, but vegans might complain. I really don't know what is "passable," in the current era we live in, to be honest. 'Baby It's Cold Outside' is now widely regarded as a date rape song by numerous groups, and demanding its removal from airwaves.

So yeah...I'll just wander away from this discussion.
    To infinity...and beyond.

I was wondering about KC "BBQ" something or other, but vegans might complain. I really don't know what is "passable," in the current era we live in, to be honest. 'Baby It's Cold Outside' is now widely regarded as a date rape song by numerous groups, and demanding its removal from airwaves.

So yeah...I'll just wander away from this discussion.
    You offend me with the use of wander,,,that what Alzheimer’s patients do...
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

I was wondering about KC "BBQ" something or other, but vegans might complain:

KC Briskets

Washington has so many possibilities, including reference to the government. The Capitals and Nationals are examples of its status in the country, as used by their hockey and baseball teams. And Bureaucrats just doesn't bode well...haha. Something along the lines of Lawmakers. But it appears Warriors is high up on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Washington has so many possibilities, including reference to the government. The Capitals and Nationals are examples of its status in the country, as used by their hockey and baseball teams. And Bureaucrats just doesn't bode well...haha. Something along the lines of Lawmakers. But it appears Warriors is high up on the list.
    I've heard the Washington Statesmen thrown around a few times and it sounds interesting as well.