Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Does anyone remember the Hogs in the '80s? Washington's SBNation site is called Hog's Haven.

Washington Warthogs rolls off the tongue a little better though and it's one of the options on their fan poll:
    https://www.hogshaven.com/2020/7/13/...place-redskins
    Last edited by L.M.; 07-13-2020 at 01:08 PM.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    They are, and they've been under attack from Native groups for awhile because their mascot is an overtly racist caricature. Cartoonists have mocked it for years:

Except for Native Americans, ethnic groups are not used as mascots -and shouldn't be- no exceptions!
    That was arapaho's sig when I first joined. I didn't like it because I thought it was offensive. It took me a moment to realize that that was the point.

I've said it in this thread and in the Virus thread, Perceptions. Sometimes things look different when you put yourself in a particular situation.
    Administrator

#LupusAwarenessMonth

#Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month - Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Does anyone remember the Hogs in the '80s? Washington's SBNation site is called Hog's Haven.

Washington Warthogs rolls off the tongue a little better though and it's one of the options on their fan poll:
    I like that. Kind of fits hubby.

I need to see how crafty I am and find a way to re-do hubby's wardrobe.
    Administrator

#LupusAwarenessMonth

#Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month - Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    That was arapaho's sig when I first joined. I didn't like it because I thought it was offensive. It took me a moment to realize that that was the point.

I've said it in this thread and in the Virus thread, Perceptions. Sometimes things look different when you put yourself in a particular situation.
    Exactly, that's why for the most part, I can't be too upset with Rastic or EM, or anyone else that doesn't think this name needs changed, I don't think they support racism. I think that you have to put yourself in a position where you see it first hand to understand it and want to speak up against it. It's easy to see the status quo and say "oh you're over reacting, that doesn't need changed"

Some people don't have that perspective because they've never encountered it first hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Exactly, that's why for the most part, I can't be too upset with Rastic or EM, or anyone else that doesn't think this name needs changed, I don't think they support racism. I think that you have to put yourself in a position where you see it first hand to understand it and want to speak up against it. It's easy to see the status quo and say "oh you're over reacting, that doesn't need changed"

Some people don't have that perspective because they've never encountered it first hand.
    I don't need you to understand me or sound patronizing about it.

My family has a long history of native American heritage on my mother's side - having representatives from the Cherokee Nation to honor my grandfather at his funeral when he passed was very special.

I have never once heard a complaint from family or relations. That doesn't mean it does not exist but let's not voice our own opinion as if we speak for others.

If you are implying I have never seen racism first hand, or am possibly a racist...you are sorely mistaken...I would say I have seen, and dealt with it more than most,,, Nor am I a racist in any way...and I do not appreciate you, or anyone, directly or indirectly “explaining” my stance on certain things.

That is all
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

Reminds me too much of the most popular Twilight Zone episode.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilSpawn View Post
    Reminds me too much of the most popular Twilight Zone episode.

That is one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes!!! I'm all for it. Imagine the kids screaming in the stands. Such fun!!! Bwahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    I don't need you to understand me or sound patronizing about it.

My family has a long history of native American heritage on my mother's side - having representatives from the Cherokee Nation to honor my grandfather at his funeral when he passed was very special.

I have never once heard a complaint from family or relations. That doesn't mean it does not exist but let's not voice our own opinion as if we speak for others.
    I'm not trying to be patronizing, I'm sorry if that's your takeaway from what I said.

I understand not everyone has issue with it, but there are people who do, I know I don't speak for native americans or have experience in what they go through, I have dealt with a lot of racism directed towards friends and family and I know it's something worth fighting against, no matter the race involved which is why I speak out. My opinions are my own, I never claimed it belonged to anyone other than me so I again am sorry if that's what you took away from that.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    If you are implying I have never seen racism first hand, or am possibly a racist...you are sorely mistaken...I would say I have seen, and dealt with it more than most,,, Nor am I a racist in any way...and I do not appreciate you, or anyone, directly or indirectly “explaining” my stance on certain things.

That is all
    Not implying any of that, but many who disregard things like this out of hand also think that racism isn't nearly as bad as it actually is and it fits them. I don't know you well enough to imply or suggest anything about either of you and again it's not my intention to insult, imply or attack either of you.. maybe improperly worded on my part... I'm simply attempting to have a peaceful discussion where we can maybe all hope to understand each other's viewpoints more, that's it

When the corporate money got involved, it was just a matter of time regardless of how unpopular it would be. Are the Vikings next ? Wouldn't surprise me.

Let me see if I can put my thoughts out there clearer so EM, Rastic and I can get off to a better foot than we are.

My point was that a lot of times when people defend something like this that is by many considered racist, it's because they don't have a clear understanding of why it is racist or how it impacts people (obviously, Rastic being of cherokee blood and more than just my 1/4th or whatever part I am, I defer to him and stand corrected, while there are people that are offended, he has a better claim to be offended and is not so I concede that point it's incorrect for me to assume anything there)

I'm not saying either of you are racist (consciously or unconsciously) support racism or anything of that nature. Just simply that in my experience a lot of the people (like me at one point in my life, I'm guilty of saying and defending things that hurt people I now love deeply because I hadn't taken the time to hear out their side of the story and why it was harmful to them.) People in that situation can defend things like this because they don't have an understanding of how it impacts others. Again, I don't know either of you nearly well enough to say that, I'm adding input and it obviously sent the discussion in a completely opposite path than what I wanted it to.

I'm sorry to both of you, I honestly meant no offense to either of you.

On a lighter, more jovial note

I was a big time fan of The Hogs, mainly because I was a bigger time fan of the cool character and Hall of Famer John Riggins. "The Diesel" or "Riggo" as known by many back then. If you don't know that much about him, read up. He's a beauty!

I'm good with Washington Diesels or Big Rigs in honour of one of the most unique players in history! Then again I'm biased, because he will always be one of my fav NFL players!

Let me see if I can put my thoughts out there clearer so EM, Rastic and I can get off to a better foot than we are.

My point was that a lot of times when people defend something like this that is by many considered racist, it's because they don't have a clear understanding of why it is racist or how it impacts people (obviously, Rastic being of cherokee blood and more than just my 1/4th or whatever part I am, I defer to him and stand corrected, while there are people that are offended, he has a better claim to be offended and is not so I concede that point it's incorrect for me to assume anything there)

I'm not saying either of you are racist (consciously or unconsciously) support racism or anything of that nature. Just simply that in my experience a lot of the people (like me at one point in my life, I'm guilty of saying and defending things that hurt people I now love deeply because I hadn't taken the time to hear out their side of the story and why it was harmful to them.) People in that situation can defend things like this because they don't have an understanding of how it impacts others. Again, I don't know either of you nearly well enough to say that, I'm adding input and it obviously sent the discussion in a completely opposite path than what I wanted it to.

I'm sorry to both of you, I honestly meant no offense to either of you.
    Changing the name redskins isn't going to change anything in regards to racism & in fact i would go as far as to say the things going on in this country over the past month or so actually may make matters worse by just driving a wedge further between some...

some of the stuff going on lately has gotten completely out of hand