• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CanDB
    Football Immortal
    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by DevilSpawn View Post
    If Andy's part of the naming, maybe:

KC Not Lean Ground Beef...maybe we can shorten that.

To be fair, lets go with a fatter, tastier steak: KC Rib-Eyes!!

(I like Andy. he's a cool cat....

Last edited by CanDB; 07-11-2020, 12:15 PM.

Comment

• Freyaka
      Football Immortal
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by DevilSpawn View Post
      Andy Reid jokes never get old. Still my favorite

sigpic

Comment

• dipablo
        Protector of the Realm
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
        Once the mob gets there own way and has the Redskins, Indians, Braves, etc............. removed then they will move onto something else.... and something else...... and something else........

Is that really a world you want to live in, or how you want people to look back on history and remember this generation as an over-sensitive cancel culture group.
        Yes that is exactly the world I want to live in, one that is constantly striving to change and be better. I do not want to live in a world were people are scared to change a racist name because they don't want anything else to change. I hope this isn't then end, i hope there is something else....and something else.....and something else that we can make better.
        Out of Order - BCMB Div I 2023 Champ | TD for Sutton - BCMB FF Smackdown

Comment

• EddieMac
          Canuck Mod, eh!
          • Feb 2004

Problem solved...
          sigpic

Comment

• Freyaka
            Football Immortal
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post

Problem solved...
            I actually kinda like that lol. Can we just have this please?
            sigpic

Comment

• atwaterandstir
              Football Immortal
              • Jul 2012

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
              Washington has so many possibilities, including reference to the government. The Capitals and Nationals are examples of its status in the country, as used by their hockey and baseball teams. And Bureaucrats just doesn't bode well...haha. Something along the lines of Lawmakers. But it appears Warriors is high up on the list.
              The Chads! Lol

Comment

• Freyaka
                Football Immortal
                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post
                The Chads! Lol
                That will be a good name for the Dolphins. The hanging Chads
                sigpic

Comment

• Peanut
                  ModNut
                  • Jan 2007

Originally posted by dipablo View Post
                  Yes that is exactly the world I want to live in, one that is constantly striving to change and be better. I do not want to live in a world were people are scared to change a racist name because they don't want anything else to change. I hope this isn't then end, i hope there is something else....and something else.....and something else that we can make better.
                  Best post I've seen in awhile.
                  Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• Freyaka
                    Football Immortal
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                    Best post I've seen in awhile.
                    I was watching Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (obviously, he's got some profanity so the clip can't be shared here) but he was discussing some of the stuff going on that coincides with this. People always ask "ok, but where does it stop" Anytime someone asks where does it stop, the answer is always somewhere... The slippery slope argument is one that often gets brought up to combat things like this, but it stops when it stops. The fact that there might be other things down the line impacted by this (that we may or may not need to consider changing) doesn't mean we just disregard this one thing. We don't let something that is clearly derogatory get a pass because "well, it might impact something else down the line"

His analogy made me laugh because it was basically "You might let your kid have twizzlers, but not inject black tar herroin, you don't just go "well, after the twizzlers, where does it stop"" The same is true here, you can say "well if we're finding this offensive, how long before you come after something like chiefs, indians or braves"

The Chiefs... That's tricky if it were just that they were named the chiefs, that'd be one thing, the history behind how that name came up is not a pretty one, that one actually probably DOES need some consideration. The indians and braves, unlike the redskins, those aren't derogatory names, with the intention of degrading native Americans. Neither is chiefs for that matter, the only issue with the chiefs is less what their name is, and more why their name is what it is. The Indians USED to have a pretty offensive logo and mascott, but they did correct that and so in my mind, that's all the more action needed there.

You can play the slippery slope argument, but it's hyperbole in most situations, we can see where the clear line is and frankly, our hope SHOULD be to find ways to not put our fellow human beings down based off race, color, gender ect... We shouldn't hold onto those things that are clearly intended as offensive and do offend people on a racial basis just because it might impact something else next...

Where does it stop? When we stop treating our fellow humans so poorly.
                    sigpic

Comment

• bronx_2003
                      Banned User
                      • Oct 2003

Originally posted by dipablo View Post
                      Yep lets change everything that offends anyone, cancel culture in full effect. Lets just hope everyone can live up to the greatness and morality of the 2020 generation.

What a sad and pathetic world this could become.

Comment

• Freyaka
                        Football Immortal
                        • Jan 2007

Yep lets change everything that offends anyone, cancel culture in full effect. Lets just hope everyone can live up to the greatness and morality of the 2020 generation.

What a sad and pathetic world this could become.
                        Sad and pathetic that we should want to be decent to each other.
                        sigpic

Comment

• bronx_2003
                          Banned User
                          • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                          Sad and pathetic that we should want to be decent to each other.
                          No but some people now get offended way too easily, almost as if they enjoy it.

Where do you stand with comedy, both stand up and tv. Ban anything that is remotely offensive or mean spirited ?

Do you find the film 'white chicks' offensive to white people and should that be banned ?

Comment

• Freyaka
                            Football Immortal
                            • Jan 2007

No but some people now get offended way too easily, almost as if they enjoy it.

Where do you stand with comedy, both stand up and tv. Ban anything that is remotely offensive or mean spirited ?

Do you find the film 'white chicks' offensive to white people and should that be banned ?
                            It's offensive to all people because it's not at all funny, but not because they're in white face. It doesn't need banned, it's just not a good movie...The only redeeming quality of that movie is Terry Crews.

Racism in all forms offends me no matter the medium of choice. Racial slurs, they don't have a place in modern society. I don't think it's so much to ask for people to want to be decent towards each other, it seems odd to me that people will stand up for treating someone poorly based off something like skin tone. There are for sure some comedians that cross that line and of being racist or overly mean spirited under the guise of "it's just a joke bro" when it comes to things like race, gender, ect... and yea, I'm not a fan of it.
                            sigpic

Comment

• bronx_2003
                              Banned User
                              • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                              It's offensive to all people because it's not at all funny, but not because they're in white face. It doesn't need banned, it's just not a good movie...The only redeeming quality of that movie is Terry Crews.

Racism in all forms offends me no matter the medium of choice. Racial slurs, they don't have a place in modern society. I don't think it's so much to ask for people to want to be decent towards each other, it seems odd to me that people will stand up for treating someone poorly based off something like skin tone. There are for sure some comedians that cross that line and of being racist or overly mean spirited under the guise of "it's just a joke bro" when it comes to things like race, gender, ect... and yea, I'm not a fan of it.
                              but anything that shows white people 'blacked up' is disgraceful and should be banned I guess ? You know how that sounds right ?

Anyway, we all have our own opinions and your entitled to yours. I am just someone who treats everyone with respect but personally am never offended by anything. If I don't like something I just won't watch it, whereas some people now just throw their toys out of their pram and cry about it.

Setting the Skins name debate aside I just don't like the cancel culture, the lets get offended all the time attitude. I think as adults it comes off as extremely childish, thin skinned, and outright babyish. If that is how the world is becoming in 2020 then I will never be part of the new 'norm'.

Comment

• Freyaka
                                Football Immortal
                                • Jan 2007

but anything that shows white people 'blacked up' is disgraceful and should be banned I guess ? You know how that sounds right ?

Anyway, we all have our own opinions and your entitled to yours. I am just someone who treats everyone with respect but personally am never offended by anything. If I don't like something I just won't watch it, whereas some people now just throw their toys out of their pram and cry about it.

Setting the Skins name debate aside I just don't like the cancel culture, the lets get offended all the time attitude. I think as adults it comes off as extremely childish, thin skinned, and outright babyish. If that is how the world is becoming in 2020 then I will never be part of the new 'norm'.
                                It's not the same thing at all...

I've edited my post to remove the comments on white/blackface. I think I've had a change of heart because a good friend pointed it out to me in a way I hadn't considered previously.

In response to the second part... People don't like change, they fight it because its all they've ever known and they are too close to it to see why it's troublesome.

I personally don't care if it bothers the current generation, you'll get over it, all of us will, because when you cut off crap like this, it helps to ensure the next generation doesn't have to deal with it. Just leaving racism in place because it's always been that way prevents progress from ever happening for the sake of keeping the status quo. Things don't progress and get better without someone fighting to change it, there's always someone bucking the change because they don't like it, oh well. Change has to happen. You may not like it or understand it, but it is necessary to progress pass the bitterness that is so deeply engrained in our world.

Most people who think that things like this are happening due to people being "thin skinned" haven't taken the time to actually listen to someone who is negatively impacted by it and understand their pain.

I see a whole lot of racism due to where I am in my life, the people I'm around and I see how it deeply hurts the people I love on more than a "thin skinned" level. There's nothing childish about wanting people to be treated better and with respect.
                                Last edited by Freyaka; 07-11-2020, 04:59 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X