Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 158
  1. #136
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Anywhere I want on 18 wheels
    Posts
    8,730
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Disagree with your logic completely. If someone is offended, or some group, and there is substantiated reasons for it, I tend to listen. And if what I hear is reasonable, I have the right to an opinion. It's called being objective, and it involves some intellect. Not emotion. Not "hey, we like it that way".

    If your logic was true, none of us could be a Judge, unless we only judged things we were a part of.

    Give open mindedness and fairness some validation.
    We are basically arguing for the same outcome but for different reasons. Just wanted to point that out first.

    Since youíre not indigenous, you donít know whether to be offended or not offended, according to your logic.

    Some Native Americans say they are offended while others are not offended.

    Youíre choosing some Native Americans over others based on the idea that a word is racist.

    However, no one can prove the origin or intent of the word nor can anyone prove that Native Americans as a whole are offended by the name.

    What can be proved is that Native American chiefs used the word redskins in official correspondence with the federal government. What can also be proved is that Native American highs schools have used and perhaps continue to use that name, which is certainly more appropriate than for non indigenous people to use it.

    As Iíve stated before, my opposition to the name is that I want names referencing Native Americans to be removed because they shouldnít be reduced to a mascot.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

  2. #137
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,192
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    You contradict your self heavily here, so maybe the attack on rastic should be reigned in. You say you cannot know how it feels, yet you a argue you can have an opinion. But by your own logic you have no idea, so your opinion is based on other people’s, meaning it is essentially regurgitating Other people’s. Not your own. Because you cannot have an idea because you are not them. So either you are parroting someone else’s opinion, or your is completely random.


    There is some lesson to be told here about objective/subjective reasoning... but I feel it’ll be lost based on what I have read so far. ( see what I did there ? )
    Attack on Rastic????? OK. Your view. I think he's a big boy and can debate with me.

    Your response is misguided. Are you saying one can only settle such matters by people who are offended??

    I completely disagree with your logic as well. People can do research and listen to both sides in order to make a fair and open minded ruling. I am not sure how that makes no sense to you. Are you also saying that only those offended, or not offended can have an opinion? How about this....I am offended that certain groups have been mistreated or not heard. There, now I have an opinion.

    So answer this, because I have not yet heard from rastic....can a Judge be a Judge if they are not in the offended group?

    Sorry pal....makes no sense. Heavily. Nice stick handling.

  3. #138
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,192
    As for some discussion on why money talks. Basically when big corporations say, "I'm taking my money from you", as a sponsor or whatever, it usually means that they can see that the right side of history is to act accordingly. Whether they are just capitalistic minded (and see a potential problem in their way) or they actually take a conscientious view when something needs to be changed I am not always sure, BUT the fact that various companies will cease to do business usually means they are reading the barometer the same way. Time for change.

  4. #139
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,192
    Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    We are basically arguing for the same outcome but for different reasons. Just wanted to point that out first.

    Since you’re not indigenous, you don’t know whether to be offended or not offended, according to your logic.

    Some Native Americans say they are offended while others are not offended.

    You’re choosing some Native Americans over others based on the idea that a word is racist.

    However, no one can prove the origin or intent of the word nor can anyone prove that Native Americans as a whole are offended by the name.

    What can be proved is that Native American chiefs used the word redskins in official correspondence with the federal government. What can also be proved is that Native American highs schools have used and perhaps continue to use that name, which is certainly more appropriate than for non indigenous people to use it.

    As I’ve stated before, my opposition to the name is that I want names referencing Native Americans to be removed because they shouldn’t be reduced to a mascot.
    I will try to simplify....I know a load of people who are not Indigenous, and think maybe it's time for a name change. Why? Because they have been around, they have listened, they have tried to understand what it may feel like. We can not all know exactly how anything feels unless we have felt it ourselves. BUT we try to understand. My take is that a lot of Indigenous folks would rather change the name. I do not know the %. But if it is reasonable %, it should at least be under review.

    I use that as a guide in life. I know what a lot of hard things feel like, but I have not experienced everything. But if an employee of mine, or a peer, or a family member comes to me with an issue, I try to consider all they say, including their emotional response, and go from there. If it appears to be fairly deeply ingrained, I would research further. And if I do my homework, I think I can usually come up with a fair outcome, even if I never experienced the same thing in my life. IF I can not, I would refer to those who are more involved.

    Given that the name is gone, it must have been settled with some depth of research.

  5. #140
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    2,314
    Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    Apparently Snyder is in a trademark dispute now over his chosen name, so "No Names" it is until further notice.

    Reportedly one of the favored options was "Warriors" but this is what I just read at ESPN:

    Really. So "warriors" has gone from a generic term pertaining to a class in virtually every culture on Earth to something exclusively Native American. I think this woman has a "lack of understanding."
    If Snyder wanted to play games, he could rename the team some unpronounceable symbol like Prince did in his dispute with Warner Bros. They would simply become known as the team formerly known as the...uh...um.
    To infinity...and beyond.

  6. #141
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    31,564
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    So are you offended by the leprachaun imagery? Just a question. If you are, as are many others, then I can see it.

    Maybe Fighting Irish is offensive to you and others. I can't answer, because I am not Irish, at least not what my ancestry test states..

    The line is not easy to find, but I think the questions around offensiveness involve historical beginnings, how many offended, and how long the discussion.
    Denis Leary once told Jon Stewart that proof the Irish are not the sharpest knives in the drawer is they didn't invent vodka.

    That's OK, they have Jameson.

  7. #142
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    7,923
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Denis Leary once told Jon Stewart that proof the Irish are not the sharpest knives in the drawer is they didn't invent vodka.

    That's OK, they have Jameson.
    That's a fact.

  8. #143
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,966
    Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    Apparently Snyder is in a trademark dispute now over his chosen name, so "No Names" it is until further notice.

    Reportedly one of the favored options was "Warriors" but this is what I just read at ESPN:



    Really. So "warriors" has gone from a generic term pertaining to a class in virtually every culture on Earth to something exclusively Native American. I think this woman has a "lack of understanding."
    The trouble is that in 2020 there will always be some groups of people who are extremely sad and pathetic and will get offended by anything. They will pick through every word and phrase and decide if they are going to be offended and throw their toys out of the pram and create drama.

    There have always been ridiculous people but now they have a platform with social media.

    My advice to proper adults with a backbone is not to get annoyed by what you see on the news and social media regarding this 'offense' culture, because this will keep happening and it will drive you insane if you let it.

    Do not look for logic and reason, some people are just drama queens who enjoy causing problems and shouting 'look at me', if certain companies or leaders want to pander to these pathetic people then so be it.

  9. #144
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Nelson, BC
    Posts
    19,238
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Attack on Rastic????? OK. Your view. I think he's a big boy and can debate with me.

    Your response is misguided. Are you saying one can only settle such matters by people who are offended??

    I completely disagree with your logic as well. People can do research and listen to both sides in order to make a fair and open minded ruling. I am not sure how that makes no sense to you. Are you also saying that only those offended, or not offended can have an opinion? How about this....I am offended that certain groups have been mistreated or not heard. There, now I have an opinion.

    So answer this, because I have not yet heard from rastic....can a Judge be a Judge if they are not in the offended group?

    Sorry pal....makes no sense. Heavily. Nice stick handling.
    I was following your misguided logic... and apparently I am not the only one here that pointed out you post is misguided,,, and that’s using a polite work...
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

    Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

  10. #145
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    13,799
    Interesting, I learned something today, of a man named Walkter Wetzel. I tried searching the thread to see if he was mentioned and I might have missed it if he was.

    He's pretty relevant to the discussion I think.

  11. #146
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    7,858
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    Raiders and Buccaneers should be canceled next - pirates profited from slave trade.

  12. #147
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    2,314
    Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    The trouble is that in 2020 there will always be some groups of people who are extremely sad and pathetic and will get offended by anything. They will pick through every word and phrase and decide if they are going to be offended and throw their toys out of the pram and create drama.

    There have always been ridiculous people but now they have a platform with social media.

    My advice to proper adults with a backbone is not to get annoyed by what you see on the news and social media regarding this 'offense' culture, because this will keep happening and it will drive you insane if you let it.

    Do not look for logic and reason, some people are just drama queens who enjoy causing problems and shouting 'look at me', if certain companies or leaders want to pander to these pathetic people then so be it.
    Winner winner chicken dinner!

    The problem is, the rest of the world needs to start speaking up. Too many folks are silent and complacent, and the only screaming you hear is a small percent of society with a very loud megaphone.

    If the rest of society were just as loud, perhaps some semblance of our history could be salvaged.
    To infinity...and beyond.

  13. #148
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    13,799
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilSpawn View Post

  14. #149
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    Winner winner chicken dinner!

    The problem is, the rest of the world needs to start speaking up. Too many folks are silent and complacent, and the only screaming you hear is a small percent of society with a very loud megaphone.

    If the rest of society were just as loud, perhaps some semblance of our history could be salvaged.
    Its a tricky one.

    The majority of people have a life to get on with. They work hard and in their spare time like to have fun and live the one life we all get. We don't want to spend our time protesting in the streets, or screaming on social media every day, or starting petitions online trying to find other like minded sad cases.

    In the past drama merchants have been ignored for the loonys they are, now they are getting pandered to.

    It is truly truly sad to see what a weak pathetic generation are being created. In my life I like to have honest discussions with people about anything, whether we agree or not, but I can't give the time of day to people who want to cancel everything because they are so offended they have curled up into the fetal position.

    I honestly wonder how some people actually get through life.

  15. #150
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    7,858
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    Interesting, I learned something today, of a man named Walkter Wetzel. I tried searching the thread to see if he was mentioned and I might have missed it if he was.

    He's pretty relevant to the discussion I think.
    Thanks for bringing him up. I never heard of him and it is another important part of the topic. Interesting story in this article.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •