• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Freyaka
    Football Immortal
    • Jan 2007

Redskins Appear to Be Considering Namechange

All I can say, is that's about a decade over-due!

sigpic
  • EddieMac
    Canuck Mod, eh!
    • Feb 2004

Too bad... I like the stand they took...
    sigpic

Comment

• samparnell
      Soy Capitan Meshpoint
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
      All I can say, is that's about a decade over-due!

That would be pretty cool IMO. For helmet decals, they could use patches for the 332nd Fighter Group, 99th Fighter Squadron, 100th Fighter Squadron, 301st Fighter Squadron or 302nd Fighter Squadron. Or, they could use them all like the AFA football team has patches from various squadrons on their jerseys on game day.

The original 332nd Fighter Group patch:

"Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• FL BRONCO
        Traveling Mod
        • Mar 2010

What a shame for the fans and legacy.
        My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

• EddieMac
          Canuck Mod, eh!
          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
          I am actually gonna but a jersey... to support the old logo... not a fan of the team but I’m getting tired of all this PC..

Maybe I’ll do a custom

Keepname
          sigpic

Comment

• EddieMac
            Canuck Mod, eh!
            • Feb 2004

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
            I am actually gonna but a jersey... to support the old logo... not a fan of the team but I’m getting tired of all this PC..

Maybe I’ll do a custom

Keepname
            Lol... did it

Pic won’t work... did it on a grey T-shirt. Redskins on front... and 20 with keepname going down the back vertically beneath the number.
            Last edited by EddieMac; 07-06-2020, 09:04 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

• samparnell
              Soy Capitan Meshpoint
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
              You mean George Preston Marshall and the "gentleman's agreement"?
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• bronx_2003
                Banned User
                • Oct 2003

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post

Maybe I’ll do a custom

Keepname
                You and me both. It seems there are more and more woke over-sensitive people around now who have nothing better to do then cry all the time.

The problem is the Redskins are being bullied into changing it because of Nike, Fedex, etc......... The trouble is that once you give in to the mob its a very slippery slope. The cancel culture could get worse and worse.

Sometimes I wonder how some 'adults' cope with life.

Comment

• Peanut
                  ModNut
                  • Jan 2007

One of my pet peeves is having non-Asians tell me that certain words are not offensive to Asians. Who cares about being PC? It's about decency and respect.

There's been enough Native Americans that have complained about certain teams' names (yes, I know there are some that do not care). I am not going to be one that stands there and shake my head and tell them "You're being too sensitive".
                  Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• bronx_2003
                    Banned User
                    • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                    One of my pet peeves is having non-Asians tell me that certain words are not offensive to Asians. Who cares about being PC? It's about decency and respect.

There's been enough Native Americans that have complained about certain teams' names (yes, I know there are some that do not care). I am not going to be one that stands there and shake my head and tell them "You're being too sensitive".
                    The problem with this line of thinking is there will always be a small group of people who are offended about something. Do you just cancel something because some people complain. Where does that end...... in a very sad imitation of life.

Have you ever seen the film 'white chicks' where 2 black guys go undercover as white teen cheerleaders. That was a comedy and it was pretty funny. It I got offended about things like this and started crying to people I would be one incredibly sad individual.

Comment

• CanDB
                      Football Immortal
                      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Peanut View Post

I am not posting much today, but I again support you for what it's worth. Yes, never tell another person or group how they should feel. That's beyond reasonable, and in many ways, ignorant. If a group is not happy with how they are being portrayed, or described, or perceived, then maybe listen to them before acting like it's ok. Sure, it's fine to those who are not being impacted. But unless you know why folks are sensitive about something, do not assume you are correct. Some things in history were very wrong, and just because the non affected think it's fine, does not warrant any form of validation. Again, talk to those folks and try to understand why they feel the way they do. "Walk a mile in their shoes".....
                      Last edited by CanDB; 07-07-2020, 07:26 PM.

Comment

• bronx_2003
                        Banned User
                        • Oct 2003

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                        I am not posting much today, but I again support you for what it's worth. Yes, never tell another person or group how they should feel. That's beyond reasonable, and in many ways, ignorant. If a group is not happy with how they are being portrayed, or described, or perceived, then maybe listen to them before acting like it's ok. Sure, it's fine to those who are not being impacted. But unless you know why folks are sensitive about something, do not assume you are correct. Some things in history were very wrong, and just because the non affected think it's fine, does not warrant any form of validation. Again, talk to those folks and try to understand why they feel the way they do. "Walk in mile in their shoes".....
                        because some people will always be offended, if you pander to these people time and time again then it gets beyond stupid,

Former Peterborough MP Fiona Onasanya emailed Kellogg's UK office for clarification on why Rice Krispies have 'three white boys' as a mascot whereas Coco Pops is represented by a monkey.

This was a story here a few weeks ago and a small number of people complained to the government and wanted the monkey removed. They got laughed at for being ridiculous and rightly so but this is what I mean by some people will always find something to be offended at. Cereals have always used animals for marketing as they appeal to children.

Once the mob gets there own way and has the Redskins, Indians, Braves, etc............. removed then they will move onto something else.... and something else...... and something else........

Is that really a world you want to live in, or how you want people to look back on history and remember this generation as an over-sensitive cancel culture group.

Comment

• EddieMac
                          Canuck Mod, eh!
                          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
                          The problem with this line of thinking is there will always be a small group of people who are offended about something. Do you just cancel something because some people complain. Where does that end...... in a very sad imitation of life.

Have you ever seen the film 'white chicks' where 2 black guys go undercover as white teen cheerleaders. That was a comedy and it was pretty funny. It I got offended about things like this and started crying to people I would be one incredibly sad individual.
                          With statues being pulled down, names changing, etc. history is being revised through erasure, and that scares me.. you cannot move forward if you don’t know where you came from..
                          sigpic

Comment

• Bronco51
                            Football Immortal
                            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
                            because some people will always be offended, if you pander to these people time and time again then it gets beyond stupid,

Former Peterborough MP Fiona Onasanya emailed Kellogg's UK office for clarification on why Rice Krispies have 'three white boys' as a mascot whereas Coco Pops is represented by a monkey.

This was a story here a few weeks ago and a small number of people complained to the government and wanted the monkey removed. They got laughed at for being ridiculous and rightly so but this is what I mean by some people will always find something to be offended at. Cereals have always used animals for marketing as they appeal to children.

Once the mob gets there own way and has the Redskins, Indians, Braves, etc............. removed then they will move onto something else.... and something else...... and something else........

Is that really a world you want to live in, or how you want people to look back on history and remember this generation as an over-sensitive cancel culture group.
                            Daniel Snyder doesn’t have to change the name. He has said in the past he will never change it. People have been wanting the name changed for a long time. But, now that people have been wanting to take their money elsewhere, now Snyder is considering it. That is on him. How much is keeping the Redskins name worth to him?

Comment

• Butler By'Note
                              Super Moderator
                              • Dec 2008

My opinion is that the name is offensive to some, and it probably should be changed, because it was used as a slur at one point in time.

BUT at the same time I also think that it's completely wrong that Nike stopped selling the team merchandise on their website and I think the NFL should have immediately threatened them with a lawsuit for breach of contract. Nike has a contract to make and sell gear for ALL NFL teams, if they don't want to do that then they should look to leave the contract. I'm also not sure Nike should be lecturing anyone on anything, given some of their alleged issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X