Mahomes got paid!!

Breaking news, mahomes just signed a 10 year deal!! Not sure the numbers yet but it is rumored to have "dwarfed" Rogers deal

450 million per ESPN

Mahomes’ extension will be worth a whopping $450MM, Schefter tweets. This would give Mahomes a $45MM-AAV price tag — a staggering $10MM increase on Russell Wilson‘s $35MM-per-year deal that previously resided as the NFL salary benchmark. This contract came together quickly. Mahomes and the Chiefs only began negotiating in late May. The superstar passer, whose rookie contract runs through 2021, became extension-eligible after the 2019 regular season’s conclusion.

The deal was rumored to contain a game-changing sweetener. Multiple sources believe the contract was set to tie Mahomes’ salaries to a percentage of the salary cap (Twitter links via Schefter and CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora). While this would have been a historically player-friendly pact, Schefter reports that the Chiefs did not include such a provision in the contract. The Chiefs began negotiations against such an arrangement, per Schefter (on Twitter).

Mahomes' injury guarantee is $140 million
    Last edited by EddieMac; 07-06-2020 at 02:23 PM.
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

$503 million with $477 guarantee mechanisms

Holy crap!
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

It's quite a tribute to this young man to be compensated so richly! He has a championship and was so close to making the SB the year before.

I think the money is off the charts, but in my mind he is the most deserving player to be paid the highest.

Good lord, as ridiculous as the numbers look on this contract thereís probably very little chance he plays out the duration of the deal. But whatís his next contract going to look like if he doesnít slow down and other QBs inevitably pass it as the salary cap rises?

I have to imagine he has a legitimate shot at receiving a billion over the course of his career just from football.

People are already saying itís essentially a 6 year $183 million deal. Apparently after year six heís due $59 mil, which likely means a restructuring of the deal is going to happen.

It looks like the last $26 million might be fake money due to incentives heís not going to reach unless the the AFC West becomes what the AFC East has been for the last 20 years and the AFC as a whole just folds.

Itís going to be fun watching the Broncos make the Chiefs look stupid for giving Mahomes this deal.😉🙏
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Iím happy for PM. I canít wait to see the trickle down effect on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by FL BRONCO View Post
    I’m happy for PM. I can’t wait to see the trickle down effect on the roster.
    Exactly
    This isn't a franchise killing contract, but it certainly puts a ton of pressure on the scouting dept. There won't be much room for error when the team can't afford to keep some skill players in a couple years. They have structured it nicely for the team to take advantage now though.

Quote Originally Posted by atwaterandstir View Post
    Exactly
    This isn't a franchise killing contract, but it certainly puts a ton of pressure on the scouting dept. There won't be much room for error when the team can't afford to keep some skill players in a couple years. They have structured it nicely for the team to take advantage now though.
    If you have the #1 player in the game, at the most important position, at a young age, you do what you have to, to make things work. And yes, maybe long term this hurts, but short term is all about winning SBs. And if KC wins at least one more, it will probably be worth it. Anything more would seal it.

Not to mention, what an exciting/fan builder to have on your team!

Franchise killing is all in the eyes.

The Chiefs were a team that have not even been to a Super Bowl since 1970. It can be argued with ease of all the teams that have been making the playoffs and not getting to the Super Bowl the Chiefs may be the most franchise QB starved team before Mahomes.

They could have given Mahomes more money and their fans probably would have been happy.

Now teams not as starved for a Ring or Franchise QB....their fans would not have been as happy with this deal imo.

Has anyone noticed some of the odd guarenteed kicker-ins on this deal? I have seen this on smaller levels before but never to this level.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-c...mahomes-21751/

It appears there is a 2023 dead cap hit of 2 mil if the Chiefs want to get out of this deal but look at this.

2023 salary & roster bonus + workout bonus fully guarantee on the 3rd league of 2021 ($100M of total dead cap)

This means if the Chiefs do not release start of 2021 and incur a dead cap hit of 59.6 mil then 40.4 mil becomes fully guaranteed in 2023. This kicks off every year.

It appears that the Chiefs are trying to protect themselves from dead cap hit higher than the salary cap should something really crazy ever happen. If anything ever happens with Mahomes the Chiefs are going to have to release most of their team that makes 7+ figures.

This is the most All In contract I have ever seen.
    Last edited by Hadez; 07-18-2020 at 03:32 PM.