Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Letswinplz77 View Post
    The way things are going it looks like Dak will get somewhere in the neighborhood of 38 million/year, around 110 million guaranteed. The Cowboys will go 8-8, 9-7 again, meanwhile, Lock will have a great year, winning between 10 and 12 games, and follow that up with even more in year 3. That boy is going to be very expensive.
    It's not Prescott doing it, it's the Cowboys. They've continually talked up Prescott as an elite franchise QB, over and over. When in reality he's an above average QB who you can win with, but don't often win because of. The best thing the Cowboys could have done was walk away from the Franchise Tag as soon as they signed Dalton. But with Prescott signing his tender, now he's expensive.

The Cowboys currently have 7 players counting over $106 million against their cap for 2021, and that's without Prescott being signed or tagged. The team is going to be a mess, and they're going to have to release good players when they make this extension mistake.

Drew Lock has the opportunity to show he is a winning QB. If he is, he will be paid appropriately and he'll be worth it. If that happens, he will probably be the best QB Denver has drafted.

Itís just how it is. You have to lock up your best talent long term and supplement the rest of the team with strong drafting. Elway generally likes to draft a replacement a year or two early so as long as they pan out the team will never be 2 or 3 elite players and a bunch of scrubs because we couldnít pay everyone. Plus an elite QB generally gets results regardless.

Plus most massive contracts are going to be an extended game of kick the can anyway. As soon as the astronomical numbers start approaching theyíll start talking about an extension or theyíll have an out to avoid paying those amounts. The guaranteed amount is the only amount that matters, the 500 mil in Mahomes deal is just to catch the eye and itís similar in most contracts. Itís the Kirk cousins type deals teams have to avoid.

Well then we better take advantage of these next two years with his rookie deal and plan contracts accordingly.

I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    Well then we better take advantage of these next two years with his rookie deal and plan contracts accordingly.
    It's a young offense with depth. There will be a number of contracts with which to deal.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Now more than ever, the SB window is while a good to great QB is on a rookie contract. Only the teams with elite QBs consistently compete at a high level after they've been paid (Brady, Rodgers, Manning with us). The tough spot is the good, but not elite QB's that you still have to pay at near-elite levels (Dak, Wilson, Stafford, Rivers, etc.). Mahomes has been elite so far, and KC bet big he will be for the next decade. We'll see about Lock, but this season is the start of his SB window.

My goodness can we see what he does first. Iím excited to see how the team can build a contender around a rookie QB deal. Thatís supposed to be the secret to fielding a good NFL team.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    Well since all Qbs getting paid one could argue the people writing the checks say they do deserve it

When a QB goes from 3-5 mil a year to 25-30 mil a year (or more now) that is essentially taking away 3-4+ good starters from the team. Now that the Qb number is 40-50 mil...and a chance the cap may go down since no fans will be in stadiums...it just gets worse for teams that have to pay their qb.

Lots of Qbs have gotten paid and never won the SB again....Brees, Rodgers, Flacco, Big Ben,
    Well then there are Brady and Manning. I think it is tough to unilaterally comment on players without also looking at the talent and team philosophy.

There is also no guarantee cap is dropping. There will be an extra game and an extra playoff game...that is more TV revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    Well then there are Brady and Manning. I think it is tough to unilaterally comment on players without also looking at the talent and team philosophy.

There is also no guarantee cap is dropping. There will be an extra game and an extra playoff game...that is more TV revenue.
    Manning never took a discounted deal. He did restructure with Denver, but they put in a mechanism for him to regain what he was potentially giving up.

I hope Lock takes Bradyís route. However, I doubt that happens. BTW, Brady was structuring team friendly deals before he ever met Gisele.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    Manning never took a discounted deal. He did restructure with Denver, but they put in a mechanism for him to regain what he was potentially giving up.

I hope Lock takes Brady’s route. However, I doubt that happens. BTW, Brady was structuring team friendly deals before he ever met Gisele.
    I guess in a world where tens of millions a year can be considered not enough, it's not surprising, but I would think more star QBs would be willing to balance being paid well with the franchise fielding a strong team around them. I know there are teams that won't, like the Colts with Manning, but if you have good ownership in place, it's a win for everyone to compete for a championship regularly.

Anyone else think QB prices are going up too fast? Every team seems to think their QB is the best of the best. These contracts are getting out of hand

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Lets put it this way, if Lock deserves the money, that means he is the QB we were hoping for.
    So true!!!! Seeing that we have been so QB deprived the past few years we will spend the money if Lock performs well, no matter the cost.
    http://i67.tinypic.com/so4fua.jpg2020 HOFER!!!!
    Adopted Bronco: Justin Simmons 2017,2018 ,2019
    PATS FANS COME TO THIS BOARD BECAUSE THEY RESPECT AND APPRECIATE US

Lock commanding Dak Prescott or Pat Mahomes type money would be a good problem to have. Letís worry about that If and when It comes to it!
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 07-12-2020 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post

Yes you found the outlier in PM who is the only top 2 paid QB in recent times to play in the Super Bowl.

It would surprise you how many years Brady's cap hit was not even top 10. In 2015 PM the Super Bowl winning QB was 6th in cap hit...8 mil under the number 1 Brees (23 mil)...Brady was 14th...10 mil under Brees. The top Qbs that year were Brees, Rivers, Ryan, Rodgers and Stafford.

I picked 2015 because it was the last year PM and Brady were prominent in the Super Bowl run having both played in the AFC Champ game.

In 2020 Brady will finally have a cap hit higher (25 mil) than the 23 mil Brees had 5 years earlier in 2015. Brady wins not just because of his focus and health practices....he knows what happens to the team if he accepts a top end contract.

8-10 mil may not seem like much but that easily accounted for one real good starter in 2015 and some teams had 2 good starters taking 8-10 mil who were not on their rookie contract.
    Last edited by Hadez; 07-12-2020 at 09:00 AM.