Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    Manning never took a discounted deal. He did restructure with Denver, but they put in a mechanism for him to regain what he was potentially giving up.

I hope Lock takes Brady’s route. However, I doubt that happens. BTW, Brady was structuring team friendly deals before he ever met Gisele.
    Funny part was from what I read about PM"s return to the NFL PM's team had a price in mind lower than what Denver offered. His deal made him the highest cap hit in the NFL in 2012.

Eli and Stafford leaped ahead of PM in 2013. Big Ben, Rodgers and Cutler leaped ahead of PM in 2014

Very rarely will you see a player in position to shape the market take a deal below value. Fans will talk about loyalty to the team, but players would likely counter by claiming loyalty to other players. The higher and higher these contracts go up, the higher the salary cap will go. Eventually the cap will level out but I donít think thatíll be anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotst View Post
    Anyone else think QB prices are going up too fast? Every team seems to think their QB is the best of the best. These contracts are getting out of hand
    I'm sure I'll get some grief for saying this but who "NEEDS" more than 10 million (if not less) a year to have a superb, high end, lavish life? NOBODY!

The "money game" in sports is ridiculous and has been for many decades. I would love to see a player like Mahomes or who ever say that their team is offering way too much $$$ for a contract and state: "if they pay me 30, 40, 50 millions of $$$ a year for many years it will have a negative effect on the team because there won't be enough $$$ to spend on more quality players to strengthen the team thus hurting the teams chances to win multiple super bowls."

Then factor in "jealousy / ego"...."well if so & so is making x-amount of millions a year then I''m worth that much too or even more and if I don't get it I'll go play somewhere else."

The "money game". It will never change unless a sport...any sport...puts a limit, a MAXIMUM per year on the amount of $$$ any player can be paid...10, 20 million...whatever!

I know that will NEVER happen for numerous reasons but...how soon before we see a "BILLION" $$$ contract in sports? It's probably not that far into the future, IMO.
    Utah Bronco Freak

With the way these contacts are going... I'm going to be a proponent of not ever paying a QB again. Spend your money elsewhere and move perpetually for the best rookie deal your can find.

Hard to remember a cart so far ahead of the horse...

Quote Originally Posted by welderhead View Post
    Hard to remember a cart so far ahead of the horse...
    Then you must be new to the internet. This is pretty regular in the forums I am a part of.

With how willing fans were to bring in Cousins or even Foles on stupidly large contracts, and Keenum to an extent as well, I can only imagine how willing people will be to give Lock a mega-deal if he is even just remotely decent. Interesting times ahead I guess. Hopefully, Lock can one day be a candidate for a Mahomes type deal, because that would mean he has played pretty damn well here.

Problem is QB's are way overpaid, and most "Players" don't care about winning in my opinion.. They get the big contract and than complain the team doesn't get them help. Well stop asking for 20million+. Take 10million you get plenty of endorsements, learn how to invest... To be honest i think players say the right thing to their Fans "I love football" "I want to stay here" and than when the money is not there its "well it business" i get it. You want the most you can get, but to be honest its more about what they can get MONEY than a RING or to be a champion, its how much cash i can get now and what are the things i need to say and do to get big money winning does not matter team first doesnt matter.. The player just needs the perception to be i care about the team/team first!! When in reality they only care about themselves and as much money as they can make!! I get it, but 20million for 8-8 is not worth it, just dont understand the 20+million for any player in any sport. 20+million is a generational player and that is very rare, and besides Brady and Brees at QB there is only 1 QB so far in this coming generation to be paid 20+ that's Mahomes. I get WATT, MILLER, DONALD, current generational Defensive players. But everyone else is worth 3-15million the top .3% are worth close to that 18-25mill.

The players salaries are out of control in my opinion. They said eventually there will be a 1 billion dollar deal for a NFL player. With Mahomes getting 500 million, that's a half a billion dollars to play football. That's a lot of clams. I must be getting old and a little crotchety? These salaries take something away from the whole thing for me. And with all the political statements in the game now, I'm not really sure about the whole thing. I'm glad the Denver Bronco organization won 3 Superbowls, but to me with the kneeling, etc. It doesn't matter as much to me anymore.
    (Its just a game, with overpaid political activists)

I was listening to Cowherd and he is saying that the cap is going to go down next year and more than likely the year after as well. If that is the case then Mahomes deal just screws the Chiefs and we don't need to worry one bit about Lock and his future potential contract

In theory the higher the ceiling is raised on the top players, the higher the floor will become for the guys that bounce around. Itís highly dependent on the salary cap to keep rising and once we get away from this COVID stuff it inevitably will. Unfortunately most of the contract floor talk comes during a CBA discussion so those lower tier players are stuck at whatever the percentage is for them for awhile.

Eventually I think all players will get factored into a pay scale similar to what the NBA does with their players. Itíll be different since the NFL has a hard cap but itíd be a lot better from a team building perspective rather than trying to one up the last guy who signed a contract. Iím surprised it hasnít already happened as it would almost eliminate holdouts and the need to franchise players. But itís probably something the players donít want to buy into because they realize the salary cap will continue to trend upward for awhile.

Hey Lock is in his second year and Dak in his fifth year. So let's not talk about deal yet!
    Ready for Autumn Winds!

Lock could totally flop also.
    (I don't think we can crown him yet)
    He has to show us a couple winning years, and a playoff win or Two.

think it would be everyone's dream if we could over pay lock......would mean he's a keeper

Lock having as good of a 2020 and 2021 as I expect him to will make him very expensive.