Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Simmons signs tender

I'm really confident that he gets signed long term and super happy he's not going to drag this out...thank you!!

That's good news . Cmon Bronco football!!

A one year wonder who should be made to prove it again in my opinion. Making him the highest-paid safety in the league right now would be irresponsible albeit quite likely. I like Simmons and he improved greatly under the direction of Fangio this past season, but paying him around 15 million per year for the long-term is way too much.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    A one year wonder who should be made to prove it again in my opinion. Making him the highest-paid safety in the league right now would be irresponsible albeit quite likely. I like Simmons and he improved greatly under the direction of Fangio this past season, but paying him around 15 million per year for the long-term is way too much.
    if he has another season like he did last year it would be bad business to leave. lets see how this tag plays out

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    if he has another season like he did last year it would be bad business to leave. lets see how this tag plays out
    How though ? If he does it again next season how much does he increase his dollar value by ? Not much. Or do you think more competition comes along to take him away ? Tag him again then. If he doesn't do it again then you have the highest paid safety in the league potentially performing at a 2018 level where he actually played quite poorly. Elway surely learned from giving guys like Marshall and Stewert contracts they didn't deserve based on short-term success, both went on to earned way over what they offered for years.

Heís not a one year wonder. Heís always been solid and had great potential at the centerfield position.

I think he has met his projection out of college and then some. I want to believe he actually learned from the NO Fly Zone. I donít want to give away one of the last pieces to that...

I don't think he can be classified as a 1 year wander. He actually had more tackles last year and only 1 less pick. His pass's defenses were through the roof this year compared to last but his impact on the defense has been consistent since he got his starting gig

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    I don't think he can be classified as a 1 year wander. He actually had more tackles last year and only 1 less pick. His pass's defenses were through the roof this year compared to last but his impact on the defense has been consistent since he got his starting gig
    Why not ? He has had one year of great play since he entered the NFL, and had a poor season prior. He was inconsistent leading up to this past year especially against the run, but he has always just been potential that yes, finally played up to it last year. In saying that, tackle statistics are meaningless in a vacuum and would indicate that Todd Davis is one of the best inside linebackers in football over the last several years, something I bet you wouldn't argue.

I think Simmons gets paid, and I would bet that he does go on to continue to play really good football. But I just think you make him earn it one more time before he gets handed the richest contract a safety has ever received when he hasn't played at that level for more than one season. I think it's a fair argument regardless of if you agree or not that he is a one year wonder.

Besides Bradley Chubb, who on our defense looked impressive in VJís system? With that being said, Simmons looked decent and promising in 2018Ė despite being given a crazy amount of responsibilities and lining up everywhere.

With the success that Fangio had with Eddie Jackson and Adrian Amos that year, we knew Simmons would be primed for a breakout year in the new defense. Fangio maximized Simmonsí talents exclusively as a free safety and let him thrive as the center fielder of our secondary. Denver knows what they have in our second-team All-Pro selection and I have little doubt that he will continue playing at an elite level.

At worst, our FO canít reach a long-term extension and Simmons plays this upcoming season on the tag. He gets one more year to ďprove itĒ as you wish. If he flounders, we let him walk. If he flourishes, we can tag him again (this could lead to a LeVeon Bell situation) or sign him to an extension (see DeMarcus Lawrence).

At best, we give him the long-term deal he deserves and he anchors our secondary for the next 4-5 years at minimum. Iíd rather get a deal done sooner rather than later, making him the highest-paid FS in the league at around $16-17M per year. This way, we set the market early prior to 2021 free agency and we donít let another team sign someone like Jamal Adams to an absurd deal (like $20M/year) that forces us to follow suit with Simmons.

Why not ? He has had one year of great play since he entered the NFL, and had a poor season prior. He was inconsistent leading up to this past year especially against the run, but he has always just been potential that yes, finally played up to it last year. In saying that, tackle statistics are meaningless in a vacuum and would indicate that Todd Davis is one of the best inside linebackers in football over the last several years, something I bet you wouldn't argue.

I think Simmons gets paid, and I would bet that he does go on to continue to play really good football. But I just think you make him earn it one more time before he gets handed the richest contract a safety has ever received when he hasn't played at that level for more than one season. I think it's a fair argument regardless of if you agree or not that he is a one year wonder.
    Well that makes sense, I just fear that his number would climb too high if he duplicates it. If we can get him signed now and finger's crossed he stays productive I think he'd be a bargain

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    Well that makes sense, I just fear that his number would climb too high if he duplicates it. If we can get him signed now and finger's crossed he stays productive I think he'd be a bargain
    His number will climb higher than the highest-paid safety in the league ? That is not how it works, and unless 3 other safeties reset the market between now and then, I wouldn't be concerned with that. I also don't think we will be getting Simmons at any kind of a bargain.

His number will climb higher than the highest-paid safety in the league ? That is not how it works, and unless 3 other safeties reset the market between now and then, I wouldn't be concerned with that. I also don't think we will be getting Simmons at any kind of a bargain.
    Itís very possible we see 3 other Safeties reset the market. Anthony Harris is in the same spot as Simmons and Marcus Williams is due for an extension and those two will be an interesting ball park for negotiations. I think heís better than those two but not better than Adams and Fitzpatrick. If he sets the mark first, Adams and Fitzpatrick are undoubtedly going to top it. Simmons will need a long term deal before those 2 get their deals because any S looking to set the market after them is going to be shooting for the moon.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    It’s very possible we see 3 other Safeties reset the market. Anthony Harris is in the same spot as Simmons and Marcus Williams is due for an extension and those two will be an interesting ball park for negotiations. I think he’s better than those two but not better than Adams and Fitzpatrick. If he sets the mark first, Adams and Fitzpatrick are undoubtedly going to top it. Simmons will need a long term deal before those 2 get their deals because any S looking to set the market after them is going to be shooting for the moon.
    I don't think Harris or Williams reset the market though, and Williams is probably still 2 seasons away from signing a long-term extension. Fitzpatrick might even be further away from signing a long-term extension as he is on a rookie deal through to the end of 2021, and then the Steelers could use the 5th year option on him as well.

Adams is the spanner in the works who could make things interesting. He is seeking over 15 million per year when he is still under a rookie contract for 2 further seasons, and he has already requested a trade which could bring forward his payday. I think if he does get over that 15 million per year, if Simmons was to play 2020 under the tag and renegotiate at seasons end, I would just honestly say to him that Adams is elite, he is better, and you won't be breaking that contract record. Either way, I do think Simmons signs an extension now, I just don't think it is wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ>NFL View Post
    Heís not a one year wonder. Heís always been solid and had great potential at the centerfield position.

I think he has met his projection out of college and then some. I want to believe he actually learned from the NO Fly Zone. I donít want to give away one of the last pieces to that...
    Heís always been a good player (even college) he had a great season in 2019, not average but great. He far exceeded the ceiling that most believed he was capable of!

John Limburg is not wrong in his conservative approach..........!

Iíve said it time and time again, I do not care how much you like a person or if you are wearing orange glasses.
    You do not overpay for a player who may be a product of a coaches system. Elway is the greatest bronco of all time and he understands this.

letís see what Justin Simmons can bring in year 2 of his aggressive Style of play can bring us before we commit to Over paying him anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Heís always been a good player (even college) he had a great season in 2019, not average but great. He far exceeded the ceiling that most believed he was capable of!

John Limburg is not wrong in his conservative approach..........!

Iíve said it time and time again, I do not care how much you like a person or if you are wearing orange glasses.
    You do not overpay for a player who may be a product of a coaches system. Elway is the greatest bronco of all time and he understands this.

letís see what Justin Simmons can bring in year 2 of his aggressive Style of play can bring us before we commit to Over paying him anything.
    Who says we have to overpay him? If giving him a big contract today is overpaying, what do you think is going to happen if he repeats, or God forbid has a better year in 2020? That number is only going to go up. People in Elway's position are paid to get the best players for the best price. Occasionally he has to gamble. He can look at the film for the past 4 years and decide Simmons is going to be more like the player he was in 2019 than the player he was in 2016 going forward, or he can decide that's not the case let him play on the tag and move on. But if Simmons repeats or improves upon 2019 it's going to cost us a lot more money than if we re-sign him now, because right now we aren't bidding against anyone else. Next year will be a different story.
    All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT