Jamaal Adams to Seahawks for 2 first round picks

https://www.nfl.com/news/jets-agree-...ms-to-seahawks

After months of brewing tension, things finally came to a head between the New York Jets and All-Pro safety Jamal Adams on Saturday afternoon.

The Jets traded the disgruntled star defensive back and a 2022 fourth round-pick to the Seattle Seahawks in exchange for safety Bradley McDougald, a first-round and third-round pick in 2021, and a 2022 first-round pick, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported. The Seahawks later announced the deal and added that the move will be completed pending physicals.

The proverbial writing adorned nearly every wall of MetLife Stadium after Adams, frustrated with the lack of progress on a long-term deal with the Jets, formally requested a trade in June. From there, the relationship between Adams and team brass continued to deteriorate despite the efforts of head coach Adam Gase and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams to repair the damage.

Things appeared to reach the absolute tipping point on Friday when Adams blasted Gase and Jets general manager Joe Douglas in an interview with the New York Daily News, saying that Gase "isn't the right leader" to help N.Y. "reach the Promised Land." He also questioned Douglas' handling of his contract situation and called the notion that the organization wanted to monitor him to see if he was all-in "very insulting."

In Seattle, Adams will play under the eccentric Pete Carroll and defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr., and join a back end that includes safety Quandre Diggs, who's coming off a season in which he was named to his first Pro Bowl (as an alternate).

Adams' arrival will be more than welcomed for a secondary that, despite allowing only 19 pass touchdowns and snagging 16 interceptions, finished 27th in pass defense (4,223 total pass yards, 263.9 YPG).

The sixth overall pick of the 2017 NFL Draft, Adams was superb in 2019, accumulating 75 tackles, seven pass deflections, one interception -- a 61-yard pick-six -- and 6.5 sacks, the most among all DBs. He was named to his second Pro Bowl and made first-team All-Pro after being named to the second-team in 2018.

Adams has long stressed that he wants to be with an organization that wants to win and do things the right way. The Seahawks, a team that hasn't had a losing season since 2011 and totes a top-notch roster and coaching staff, certainly checks those boxes.
    i can't really tell who won getting 2 first for a safety is a good value, but you can't just replace a player like Adams. Adams is the best safety in the nfl. and if he is not the best he is best of younger group of safeties. i feel this may be as close to win a win for both clubs as you can you get.

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Ya expensive... but maybe worth it... the Seahawks have mid - late picks in the first round.., he keeps them in that area...
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Good for the Jets.

They got a good deal.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I won’t Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    Good for the Jets.

They got a good deal.
    Until the new coaching staff cuts them for “their” guys

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Until the new coaching staff cuts them for “their” guys
    There could be a new coaching staff before those picks get made.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I won’t Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    Ya expensive... but maybe worth it... the Seahawks have mid - late picks in the first round.., he keeps them in that area...
    I read an interesting quote from someone (can't remember who now) and they mentioned this may be a year when picks are traded at a much higher rate. His reasoning was the fear of a minimal scouting period.
    2022 picks may be more valuable as many top underclassmen may opt to stay another year and that a weak '21 class could be followed up by a much deeper '22 class. Lots of boom/bust potential if college football doesn't happen and many GMs know a "bust draft" is a ticket out of town quick.

I can see some logic to this way of thinking. It seems a little fear based, but having no college football would be an obvious huge issue for scouting.

Adams is not your typical trade target, but wow- what a haul for the Jets. It seems to me like the Jets won the trade in a landslide, however -Adams is quite the consolation.

Edit- Daniel Jeremiah/Bucky Brooks podcast
    Last edited by atwaterandstir; 07-26-2020 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by atwaterandstir View Post
    I read an interesting quote from someone (can't remember who now) and they mentioned this may be a year when picks are traded at a much higher rate. His reasoning was the fear of a minimal scouting period.
    2022 picks may be more valuable as many top underclassmen may opt to stay another year and that a weak '21 class could be followed up by a much deeper '22 class. Lots of boom/bust potential if college football doesn't happen and many GMs know a "bust draft" is a ticket out of town quick.

I can see some logic to this way of thinking. It seems a little fear based, but having no college football would be an obvious huge issue for scouting.

Adams is not your typical trade target, but wow- what a haul for the Jets. It seems to me like the Jets won the trade in a landslide, however -Adams is quite the consolation.

Edit- Daniel Jeremiah/Bucky Brooks podcast
    I do get the idea of making a trade for a proven player over players with no NFL experience, and some restrictions in typical scouting methods.

You may have some questions or even doubts that are often assessable via the normal draft/scouting process, that you just can not verify in the current situation. Hopefully this changes by next draft, but we just don't know to what extent.

Therefore....if we give that concept a lot of credibility, everything comes back to, how much do we offer, if we were involved? Will a proven NFLer deserve a little more in exchange, given the team receiving the draft pick(s) will expect more, having less opportunity to gauge the college player? If I'm trading my player, I would push for a better than normal deal, as in the concept you mention. I think that's what happened in The Adams deal.

On paper this looks like The Jets won the deal. A player (who I know little about), 2 1sts and a 3rd. That's potentially a huge opportunity for The Jets, IF they draft well. Is a young top level Safety worth that?

On the other hand.....

1) Seattle was knocking on the door last year, and this guy may be the missing piece for a longer run. He is a talent.
    2) Seattle's 1st pick will likely be very late, and that may be the case in 22. Now don't get me wrong, a late first can still be a stud. But I can see picks no better than mid 20s based on what we know today. Wilson is still a star, their O seems to be rebounding, and their D should be fine with Adams.

I think this comes down to The Jets nailing those picks. If they do for all three, I see them as the winner. Or if Adams develops some injuries of course. But if Seattle wins a SB this year or next, I can imagine this being a great trade for them.
    Last edited by CanDB; 07-26-2020 at 08:35 AM.