Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Joey Bosa, Chargers agree to huge 5-year, $135M extension

https://www.nfl.com/news/joey-bosa-c...135m-extension

Bosa and the Chargers have reached an agreement on a massive five-year, $135 million extension, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, Tuesday evening. The Chargers announced the extension shortly thereafter.

The extension keeps Bosa with the Bolts for the next six years. Included within the extension is $102 million in guaranteed money with $78 million guaranteed at signing, Rapoport added.
    so much for the chargers being cheapskates, I'm pretty sure that's the richest contract in NFL history for a defensive player. gonna need that defense intact and dominating if they want to comp[ete in this division.

I know......somewhere in colorado, melvin Gordon is sobbing asking the lord why oh why didn't he get a piece of that bag. poor lil fella!

27 m a year. at least they did it for an elite pass rushers.

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

78 of the 102 million guaranteed was paid at signing. With "only" 24 million more to be made in guarantees, he definitely wont be playing through the bumps and bruises.

He is one hell of a player, but wow......this guy now owns the Chargers. He has already received his money up front, these checks he will receive won't be looking so great as his body gets beat up and younger guys are starting to get theirs.

I haven't seen the breakdown for the escalators but for the Chargers sake they better hope they are easily attainable or he will be looking for bigger game checks by year 3.
    Last edited by atwaterandstir; 07-29-2020 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by atwaterandstir View Post
    78 of the 102 million guaranteed was paid at signing. With "only" 24 million more to be made in guarantees, he definitely wont be playing through the bumps and bruises.

He is one hell of a player, but wow......this guy now owns the Chargers. He has already received his money up front, these checks he will receive won't be looking so great as his body gets beat up and younger guys are starting to get theirs.

I haven't seen the breakdown for the escalators but for the Chargers sake they better hope they are easily attainable or he will be looking for bigger game checks by year 3.
    a whole lot of assumptions in this post. do we even know what the salary cap future looks like? next year it's going to be a lot less (which is why it had to get done this year) and if things don't get better the salary cap could even go down more from there. nevermind the fact that joey only has one speed 100%. If he looking for more in year 3 of his contract, that means the NFL is in better shape than it is now and he's dominating the entire time, not tanking because of a lack of incentive like you are suggesting

IF we are in that situation where he wants even more, that will be a good problem to have.

Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    a whole lot of assumptions in this post. do we even know what the salary cap future looks like? next year it's going to be a lot less (which is why it had to get done this year) and if things don't get better the salary cap could even go down more from there. nevermind the fact that joey only has one speed 100%. If he looking for more in year 3 of his contract, that means the NFL is in better shape than it is now and he's dominating the entire time, not tanking because of a lack of incentive like you are suggesting

IF we are in that situation where he wants even more, that will be a good problem to have.
    Business is business and as of now he has 24 million more coming to him over the next 6 years (pre escalators). Your right, he has one speed and he plays like an animal. You would be crazy to think his style won't take a toll and he will inevitably miss some time.
    He is a great player and the Chargers had to lock him up, I just think on the surface it looks like the guaranteed portion was structured poorly for the Chargers.

But like I said, if the escalators are easily attainable it's not an issue.

https://www.nfl.com/news/joey-bosa-c...135m-extension

so much for the chargers being cheapskates, I'm pretty sure that's the richest contract in NFL history for a defensive player. gonna need that defense intact and dominating if they want to comp[ete in this division.

I know......somewhere in colorado, melvin Gordon is sobbing asking the lord why oh why didn't he get a piece of that bag. poor lil fella!
    Good move! Now that you ainít paying a QB big money Lock up your best players.

Big time money....getting into QB country!!

Business is business and as of now he has 24 million more coming to him over the next 6 years (pre escalators). Your right, he has one speed and he plays like an animal. You would be crazy to think his style won't take a toll and he will inevitably miss some time.
    He is a great player and the Chargers had to lock him up, I just think on the surface it looks like the guaranteed portion was structured poorly for the Chargers.

But like I said, if the escalators are easily attainable it's not an issue.
    In my opinion, his style will not take any more toll on his body than any other player at the position. I'm not saying the contract is great for the chargers, they did what they had to do to keep him.

Good move by the chargers, Herbert is on a rookie contract for the next 5, who better to lock up in the meantime.

Iím very confident Denverís offensive line will be extremely strong in the middle with Risner, Cushenberry, and Glasgow with bad ass Netane Muti (Charles from RDR2) backing them up.

However at tackle, Iím not sure Bolles, James and Wilkenson will find an answer for Bosa between the three of them.

Two canít stay healthy and the other may be too stupid to even know when heís hurt! Lol

Seriously I think Bolles will turn some heads but itíll be fun to watch!

From CBS
    "Bosa woke up this morning as the 35th highest-paid defensive end in the NFL in terms of annual salary. HIs extension makes Bosa the second-highest-paid defensive end in terms of annual salary"

I don't know, but it sure looks like this contract will have zero shot of playing out. He had less leverage as a Rookie when he held out so late into August. I have hard time believing this guy will accept his annual salary as structured. The Chargers just gave him a huge check for games already played.
    It looks like it's totally up to Bosa if he wants to continue to be the 35th highest paid DE from now on.

Great player, even better negotiator.

Bosa now owns the Chargers lol.

From CBS
    "Bosa woke up this morning as the 35th highest-paid defensive end in the NFL in terms of annual salary. HIs extension makes Bosa the second-highest-paid defensive end in terms of annual salary"

I don't know, but it sure looks like this contract will have zero shot of playing out. He had less leverage as a Rookie when he held out so late into August. I have hard time believing this guy will accept his annual salary as structured. The Chargers just gave him a huge check for games already played.
    It looks like it's totally up to Bosa if he wants to continue to be the 35th highest paid DE from now on.

Great player, even better negotiator.

Bosa now owns the Chargers lol.
    "zero shot of playing out" okay man, we will see. in meantime, bosa is healthy and going to wreak havoc on the defense as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Good move by the chargers, Herbert is on a rookie contract for the next 5, who better to lock up in the meantime.

I’m very confident Denver’s offensive line will be extremely strong in the middle with Risner, Cushenberry, and Glasgow with bad ass Netane Muti (Charles from RDR2) backing them up.

However at tackle, I’m not sure Bolles, James and Wilkenson will find an answer for Bosa between the three of them.

Two can’t stay healthy and the other may be too stupid to even know when he’s hurt! Lol

Seriously I think Bolles will turn some heads but it’ll be fun to watch!
    the chargers OL is in a similar situation. the middle to the right side of the line is now very solid. with Pouncey, Trai Turner, and bryan bulaga. but they are very iffy at LT, it's by far the weak spot on the entire offense, Morso than even QB IMO

Bosa is good but the truth is with Chubb coming back, and the addition of Jurrell Casey the Broncos will have the AFC West best pass rush in 2020.

BTWremont Jones proved to be a better pick than Tillery.

Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    Bosa is good but the truth is with Chubb coming back, and the addition of Jurrell Casey the Broncos will have the AFC West best pass rush in 2020.

BTWremont Jones proved to be a better pick than Tillery.
    Tillery was terrible in his rookie season (much like melvin gordon was) even though he started to improve at the end. we will see what happens going forward but the chargers also upgraded their DL as well. are you sold that chubb is going to hit the ground running on that newly reconstructed knee? is it even 100% healthy yet?

https://www.nfl.com/news/bradley-chu...broncos-opener

"Bradley Chubb believes he'll be ready to destroy quarterbacks when the NFL season opens" meaning, he isn't 100% yet and being "ready" week 1 doesn't mean he will be 100% then, either.

Tillery was terrible in his rookie season (much like melvin gordon was) even though he started to improve at the end. we will see what happens going forward but the chargers also upgraded their DL as well. are you sold that chubb is going to hit the ground running on that newly reconstructed knee? is it even 100% healthy yet?

https://www.nfl.com/news/bradley-chu...broncos-opener

"Bradley Chubb believes he'll be ready to destroy quarterbacks when the NFL season opens" meaning, he isn't 100% yet and being "ready" week 1 doesn't mean he will be 100% then, either.
    he partially tore his acl at the end of September, nearly 11 months ago, he will be ready
    when do native Americans become human and not mascots