Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

JaWuan James has opted out per source. Broncos lose RT for year.

Seriously?!?! What a crock!! Dude gets paid a fortune and only plays like 3 games in 2 years. Should of just cut or traded him. How do these opt out contracts work? Do they get paid to not play?

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    Seriously?!?! What a crock!! Dude gets paid a fortune and only plays like 3 games in 2 years. Should of just cut or traded him. How do these opt out contracts work? Do they get paid to not play?
    I'll answer my own question, found this......

The agreement between the NFL and NFLPA includes a two-tiered opt out for players. One opt out is a medical designation for high-risk players, and another is voluntary, Ben Volin of the Boston Globe reports.

Players have until Aug. 3 to opt out.

"The opt out is irrevocable, and players in either plan will receive a stipend. Jeremy Fowler of ESPN reports that those NFL players considered high risk to COVID-19 can earn $350,000 and an accrued NFL season if choose to opt out of the 2020 season. Players without risk can earn $150,000 for opt-out with no accrued season."

at least we get that salary cap out a bit, not having to pay him and seeing if we have a new RT on the roster.

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    I'll answer my own question, found this......

The agreement between the NFL and NFLPA includes a two-tiered opt out for players. One opt out is a medical designation for high-risk players, and another is voluntary, Ben Volin of the Boston Globe reports.

Players have until Aug. 3 to opt out.

"The opt out is irrevocable, and players in either plan will receive a stipend. Jeremy Fowler of ESPN reports that those NFL players considered high risk to COVID-19 can earn $350,000 and an accrued NFL season if choose to opt out of the 2020 season. Players without risk can earn $150,000 for opt-out with no accrued season."
    The money is paid back the next year though. So if he were on the Broncos next year (seems doubtful at this point) then his salary would be his 2020 salary (the contract pauses this year and it starts where it was paused next season) minus the $150,000 or $350,000 that he was paid this year.

This is beyond comedy with this dude. Just...I can't...this is like Sam Bradford levels of fleecing a team...lol.....

I wonder how many more before Wednesday? Fortunately Colorado isn't a red zone state, so hopefully players feel comfortable enough. I also wonder if James qualified as high risk.

After last year he should have been the first guy in the building. I'm honestly not shocked with this dude. Wilkinson will get the first crack at it and I thought Jake Rodgers did well when he filled in last year. It will not basically be two years since James played football. Dude better be an allpro in 2021 but I imagine him sitting on the couch eating chips all year

I really canít fault anyone for opting out. They have every right to do so.

As others have stated, though, it sort of pours salt in that wound. Tackle is a constant problem. This does not bode well for our T group.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketArm006 View Post
    I really can’t fault anyone for opting out. They have every right to do so.

As others have stated, though, it sort of pours salt in that wound. Tackle is a constant problem. This does not bode well for our T group.
    I can understand the COVID side of things, but just because it's THIS GUY, I just can't help but look side eyed at him, ya know?

I'm trying to remain civil and not look at this with jaded glasses, and that's very VERY difficult for me right now.

However, it's clear he'll never play another down for the Broncos again. I don't know what the opt-out clause stipulates but if I were the Broncos I would just cut him now and if he winds up with another team, so be it.

I should not bring up the "why not draft an OT?" commentary, but this does not help the situation. If nothing else, we needed more quality depth, and given that injuries/illnesses are a factor, it does worry me a bit. We have a pretty complete team except for this position.

Some one or some players need(s) to step up their game.

By far the worst free agent signing of the Elway era with no way out. I am a Bronco fan for the last 25 yrs, but this hurts and will hurt till he is gone. His former coach ( Vic F) vouched for him, Elway bit and now this. Just negotiate the best settlement you can and say by. 3 games with 27 million guaranteed is about 9 million a game from someone who knows how to game the nfl. Find a way to buy him out as he WILL NEVER PLAY ANOTHER DOWN OF FOOTBALL & is not getting younger or better sitting on a couch. WOW! Try Risner at RT along with others and wait for camp cuts he will never play a down for Denver.
    Bronco Bob

Trying really hard to be understanding of his decision. But it is really tough to do so. Looking at most of the responses it looks like most share the emotions.

James has been a complete failure of a signing and not because of any "false narrative". After two teams now, it is time to realize he is one of those players looking for a reason not to play instead of looking for one to get back out there. And cutting him (buy out) will suck because it comes with a $6M dead cap cost.

Decision is made. Wish him and his family luck.

On to the problem at hand. How do they replace him? Free agent cupboard is barren, even for a backup let alone a starter. Trade? Does anyone know if his cap money is now usable for the season? Having his $13M would be helpful.