Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 188
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ozarks
    Posts
    13,702
    Quote Originally Posted by dgobronco View Post
    I don't blame him, but gosh, I was pretty upset with not addressing T in the draft. Even without COVID, relying on James and Bolles to not get injured and play decently didn't seem like a good bet. Now, it's definitely not. If there's a season, oline will be the achilles heel of the offense. Just like last year, and the year before that, and the year before that...
    Exactly, we haven't even gotten into the year and its a mess already. Its popcorn time again watching our line shuffle and worrying about the T spots again this year and the season has not even begun. I will try and be optimistic and hope for the best. I do like our draft picks. But I still think it was a big Mistake not to take a tackle. I feel like it has come full circle again, and again and again......

    I wonder if we could trade one of our shiny new receivers for a starting T. J/k .
    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5,407
    Quote Originally Posted by FL BRONCO View Post
    Exactly, we haven't even gotten into the year and its a mess already. Its popcorn time again watching our line shuffle and worrying about the T spots again this year and the season has not even begun. I will try and be optimistic and hope for the best. I do like our draft picks. But I still think it was a big Mistake not to take a tackle. I feel like it has come full circle again, and again and again......

    I wonder if we could trade one of our shiny new receivers for a starting T. J/k .
    I have no issues with the way the draft went down. Surprised at the time but I can accept the reasoning of every pick up until Agim.

    End of the third, the third pick and still 3-4 developmental OTs still on the board.

    Or even after the draft not signing a much needed vet backup for depth like Beachum or similar cost/experience.

    Going to be interesting to see how Elway addresses the issue now. Hope he surprises us.

    As for James, he has the right to make the choice not to play. And I have the right to be disappointed that he did.
    Last edited by FR Tim; 08-03-2020 at 09:58 PM.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Denver, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    21,896
    Oh look Juwan James found another way to get paid to not play football

    Hooray, beer!

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Bear Valley in The 5280
    Posts
    14,599
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
    Oh look Juwan James found another way to get paid to not play football
    Juwan James 2
    John Elway 0

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Eastern Seaboard
    Posts
    3,597
    He should be brought up on fraud charges for impersonating a football player.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Bear Valley in The 5280
    Posts
    14,599
    Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    I prefer Risner next to Bolles for some continuity. And was looking forward to the Risner/ Cush/ Glasgow interior potential of keeping center of the line solid.

    Having Bolles and Muti on the left side would either be the beginning of something beautiful as they maul defensive lineman or the most unnecessary roughness calls ever called on a tandem in NFL history. Either way could be entertaining!

    I think they will be acquiring a starting RT in free agency or trade though. They now can overpay on a one year contract with Jamesí money.

    Another thought, it is going to really suck to bring James back and still owe him for this year and next even though he will not have played in two years. At the very least he should be working his ass off getting to peak fitness. Why do I doubt he will. More likely to return next year fined and on the PUP list for being overweight and canít pass a physical.
    Agreed, Something tells me itíll be time spent belling up to the burger bar more than getting and remaining in better shape.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    31,765
    Quote Originally Posted by FL BRONCO View Post
    Exactly, we haven't even gotten into the year and its a mess already. Its popcorn time again watching our line shuffle and worrying about the T spots again this year and the season has not even begun. I will try and be optimistic and hope for the best. I do like our draft picks. But I still think it was a big Mistake not to take a tackle. I feel like it has come full circle again, and again and again......

    I wonder if we could trade one of our shiny new receivers for a starting T. J/k .
    Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    I have no issues with the way the draft went down. Surprised at the time but I can accept the reasoning of every pick up until Agim.

    End of the third, the third pick and still 3-4 developmental OTs still on the board.

    Or even after the draft not signing a much needed vet backup for depth like Beachum or similar cost/experience.

    Going to be interesting to see how Elway addresses the issue now. Hope he surprises us.

    As for James, he has the right to make the choice not to play. And I have the right to be disappointed that he did.
    There was a run on Offensive Tackles in the first round. Four were taken before Denver picked at #15, and six went in the first. Well over twenty Tackles were drafted, but a number of them will play inside in the NFL.

    At what point in the draft would Denver have taken a "developmental OT" more capable of playing RT, in the absence of James, than anyone the Broncos have or could sign? I'm inclined to think it would have been well before Agim was selected at #95. Between #46 and #95 one Tackle was picked, Ezra Cleveland at #58. Denver took K.J. Hamler at #46.

    If Denver had taken an OT at #95 instead of McTelvin Agim, Lucas Niang, Matt Peart, Tyre Phillips, Saahdiq Charles and Ben Bartch were available. Would any of those guys be starters as rookies? I guess we can see what happens to find out.

    That's all behind us now. Going forward, I'm inclined to think that Denver will need to pick a Tackle before the third round in order to get a starter. For now, we'll see if they sign a veteran free agent, or use what they have.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,082
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
    Oh look Juwan James found another way to get paid to not play football
    From my understanding players get a low 6 figure salary if they opt out. Can only find a link saying they pay back 150k or 350k if they do not make a roster in 2021.
    In the last 45 years the Broncos have drafted in the top 10 five times. They have drafted in the top 15 twelve times. Some may want them to draft a top 5 pick but the Broncos are not as bad they want them to be.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,082
    I think we had to know that a tackle who played 63 snaps last year may be a reliability problem this year.

    there were too many holes to fix them all in one year. I still think we had a good off season. Now we will see what the backup OT plan was.
    In the last 45 years the Broncos have drafted in the top 10 five times. They have drafted in the top 15 twelve times. Some may want them to draft a top 5 pick but the Broncos are not as bad they want them to be.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    920
    Well this stinks. I understand his point, I have kids too. I also understand that if I had the ability to play NFL football and could do it I would right now. Waiting this long is not a great teammate thing to do either. He knew that he would not be returning this season 3 months ago when the NFL was going to have restrictive covid rules and the problem wasn't going away in the regular season.

    If we had to play with no other options next week, sure Risner could play RT and you take your chances with Cushenberry, Glasglow, Bolles, and hope Wilkinson can play decent at Guard. I wonder if there will be a vet or 2 cut soon that create depth on another roster that can at least give some competition or injury replacement.

    Still a crummy sitiuation.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    I think we had to know that a tackle who played 63 snaps last year may be a reliability problem this year.

    there were too many holes to fix them all in one year. I still think we had a good off season. Now we will see what the backup OT plan was.
    The "plan" to fill the OT roster spot is intriguing to say the least. From most of the ongoing comments, most fans saw the need from the draft or early free agency. It has been often discussed that most could not see a "plan" and we had to be patient and trust Elway and Munchak.

    I guess that the "plan" will finally be revealed. Can't wait to see what it is!

    Klis reported yesterday that the FO knew about likelihood of James' decision for the last week or two. So it did not surprise them. So I'm guessing they have had mtgs and made some calls. Going to be really interesting to see how Munchak prefers to address the issue, internally or bringing in another player. Or if Elway can produce a rabbit from his hat and bring in a competitive replacement.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Thornton
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Since James came from Miami, you must be thinking of Chris Kuper.
    LOL - I was thinking of Bryce Callahan with Vic another bust pickup. But James is done in Denver & I hope we try for a FA AND try Dalton at RT as we still are gonna lose Bolles next year. In my defense I am gonna be 70 this year.
    Bronco Bob

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    6,880
    https://www-si-com.cdn.ampproject.or...t-out-revealed

    Article explaining Broncos cap situation with the opt out. They basically get back 13 mil on the season. I can't help but think that Simmons deal would have gotten done if James made this decision sooner

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    31,765
    Quote Originally Posted by bfallona View Post
    LOL - I was thinking of Bryce Callahan with Vic another bust pickup. But James is done in Denver & I hope we try for a FA AND try Dalton at RT as we still are gonna lose Bolles next year. In my defense I am gonna be 70 this year.
    Me, too!
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,082
    Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    The "plan" to fill the OT roster spot is intriguing to say the least. From most of the ongoing comments, most fans saw the need from the draft or early free agency. It has been often discussed that most could not see a "plan" and we had to be patient and trust Elway and Munchak.

    I guess that the "plan" will finally be revealed. Can't wait to see what it is!

    Klis reported yesterday that the FO knew about likelihood of James' decision for the last week or two. So it did not surprise them. So I'm guessing they have had mtgs and made some calls. Going to be really interesting to see how Munchak prefers to address the issue, internally or bringing in another player. Or if Elway can produce a rabbit from his hat and bring in a competitive replacement.
    Well I do not know what the back up plan was but I think we have more options now if we can find a dance partner.

    Now that James cap hit has gone down to 150k we can probably afford to get a 1 year rental at OT. Maybe that is Aug 4 2020 Plan A. We pulled off trades of Casey and Bouye maybe we can do another trade with that 28-32 mil cap space (depending on which site we look at).

    There may be teams worried about their 2021 cap and may be willing to dump the right contract on us...which we may look as a positive as Bolles is a FA in 2021.
    In the last 45 years the Broncos have drafted in the top 10 five times. They have drafted in the top 15 twelve times. Some may want them to draft a top 5 pick but the Broncos are not as bad they want them to be.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •