View Poll Results: To what degree will the season execute?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • We'll get a full season with playoffs ~believe it or not

11 39.29%
  • We'll have a regular season but playoffs wont happen

0 0%
  • We'll have a shortened regular season and playoffs

11 39.29%
  • Maybe a couple games but they'll have to cancel it

6 21.43%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I was always adamant the league would start on time as its in September and most of the world of sport has been open a few months, I will admit I made the huge mistake of overlooking the fact that it is a league in America where drama and a general reluctance to get on with life seems to be very popular.

The league will start and be normal as in the games will be played, but it will be an asterisk year with the amount of players who fancy taking a year off.

2.6% of NFL players have opted out for the 2020 season... not really a significant amount. I don't think it is enough to make a difference in the standard of play. But there are other factors that will likely lower the quality of play ... players getting the virus might be one, the cancelling of OTAs, mini camps and Preseason could cause some teams to be relatively unprepared.

2.6% is going by roster size right now being at 80 players.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    2.6% of NFL players have opted out for the 2020 season... not really a significant amount. I don't think it is enough to make a difference in the standard of play. But there are other factors that will likely lower the quality of play ... players getting the virus might be one, the cancelling of OTAs, mini camps and Preseason could cause some teams to be relatively unprepared.

2.6% is going by roster size right now being at 80 players.
    Is there a "drop dead date" (cut off) that a player has confirm to opt out or play?

Or can they opt out after the season starts?
    Utah Bronco Freak

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbodog View Post
    Is there a "drop dead date" (cut off) that a player has confirm to opt out or play?

Or can they opt out after the season starts?
    I think last week was the deadline to opt out and still receive the stipend and not have the year count against their contract. I think if they opted out now, they would get nothing.

I feel fairly confident there will be a Super Bowl and playoffs but I'm not sure how we'll get there exactly. There's just too much money involved and bubbles are showing they work in the other sports.

The biggest question mark will be what the USA looks like from an infection state especially in each of the cities which the NFL plays in. Another big question mark will be if a Russell Wilson or Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes or Lamar Jackson gets sick in advance of their game - then what? What is a good portion of a team gets COVID just before a game? Lastly heaven forbid what if a player dies? I know we don't really want ot go there but what if a player gets infected and passes away. Will that impact the league and/or shock players into not playing.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    wow only 16 people voted. Are these boards losing popularity
    It's really hard to get "In the spirit," right now.

Life as we knew it has changed, possibly for a really long time. I feel like we had the best draft in forever only to have the season end before it even started. I almost feel weird about wearing the gear, normally I'd have a few new Orange/Blue goodies and be roughing up the usual suspects (Raider Fans) but I just don't feel it.

Hoping for the best, as always...Go Broncos!!!
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    The biggest question mark will be what the USA looks like from an infection state especially in each of the cities which the NFL plays in. Another big question mark will be if a Russell Wilson or Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes or Lamar Jackson gets sick in advance of their game - then what? What is a good portion of a team gets COVID just before a game? Lastly heaven forbid what if a player dies? I know we don't really want ot go there but what if a player gets infected and passes away. Will that impact the league and/or shock players into not playing.
    Those are good points. I think the best strategy is to copy what the NBA and NHL are doing. They haven't had a single positive test for COVID and are probably the safest place to be in the USA right now. Something like this could work as a worse case scenario...

Put each division in separate bubbles. For example the AFC W could all be in a bubble in Las Vegas. Have each team play the others twice. That's 6 games. We'll probably need a good tie breaker. You could shake up the 4 teams with other non-division teams again for a total of 12 games.

Take each division champ and put them all in a playoff bubble, single elimination through the Super Bowl.

Testing and isolating players is proving to work and this really minimizes the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    Those are good points. I think the best strategy is to copy what the NBA and NHL are doing. They haven't had a single positive test for COVID and are probably the safest place to be in the USA right now. Something like this could work as a worse case scenario...

Put each division in separate bubbles. For example the AFC W could all be in a bubble in Las Vegas. Have each team play the others twice. That's 6 games. We'll probably need a good tie breaker. You could shake up the 4 teams with other non-division teams again for a total of 12 games.

Take each division champ and put them all in a playoff bubble, single elimination through the Super Bowl.

Testing and isolating players is proving to work and this really minimizes the risk.
    I think the bubble would have a better chance to succeed but I read they're adamant about not doin that.

divisional bubbles could work
    Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

I don't see why young healthy men could not play, and I don't see any reason that you couldn't do like European Football (Sorry Soccer) leagues where you massively limit spectators.

Many players play with visors anyway, so maybe a mandate that anyone but the QB and the kicker needs to wear visors might be the way to go.

Young athletes are in the extreme low risk group for complications from Covid-19, so it is more about protecting the surroundings.

The show will go on!

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
    I don't see why young healthy men could not play, and I don't see any reason that you couldn't do like European Football (Sorry Soccer) leagues where you massively limit spectators.

Many players play with visors anyway, so maybe a mandate that anyone but the QB and the kicker needs to wear visors might be the way to go.

Young athletes are in the extreme low risk group for complications from Covid-19, so it is more about protecting the surroundings.

The show will go on!
    Theres no good reason. America seems really reluctant to get on with life compared to other countries around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    Theres no good reason. America seems really reluctant to get on with life compared to other countries around the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoFanDK View Post

The show will go on!
    Instead of telling other people what risks they should and shouldn't take, why not spend just a little time thinking about ways to make it as safe for them as possible? That's the hard part.

If I were running a NFL team, I'd be giving away season tickets to a select group of volunteers who had COVID and are willing to regularly donate convalescent serum. My starters would be getting infused with that serum every 2-weeks. Afterall, the team who keeps its starters on the field is the team likely to win.

Quote Originally Posted by CheyennePress View Post
    If I were running a NFL team, I'd be giving away season tickets to a select group of volunteers who had COVID and are willing to regularly donate convalescent serum. My starters would be getting infused with that serum every 2-weeks. Afterall, the team who keeps its starters on the field is the team likely to win.
    Lol. You should totally present your plan to the NFL. I'm sure they're looking for unfounded message board medical care advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylan View Post
    Lol. You should totally present your plan to the NFL. I'm sure they're looking for unfounded message board medical care advice.
    Unfounded? I'm just a physician who has treated COVID patients. Apparently some of us like football. Yeah, the studies aren't there, but I have no doubt that high-ranking officials are doing just this.
    Last edited by CheyennePress; 08-21-2020 at 10:03 AM.