Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

just rewatched the Mile High Debacle during quarantine

One key play that is rarely mentioned when people talk about that game happened before the end of the first half.

The officiating in that game has come under serious scrutiny for some calls in that game, such as an arm grab on the pick-six, a questionable penalty on the Ravens during the Broncos last touchdown drive, and a PI on Champ Bailey in overtime.

After the Broncos picked up a first down on fourth and one, they faced 3rd and 7 inside Baltimore territory. Manning tried to pass to Jacob Hester. Terrell Suggs appeared to hit him before the ball got there.

If the penalty was called, it would given the Broncos a first down. Instead Prater shanked a field goal, and the Ravens tied it before the half.

Quote Originally Posted by dolphinsneu View Post
    One key play that is rarely mentioned when people talk about that game happened before the end of the first half.

The officiating in that game has come under serious scrutiny for some calls in that game, such as an arm grab on the pick-six, a questionable penalty on the Ravens during the Broncos last touchdown drive, and a PI on Champ Bailey in overtime.

After the Broncos picked up a first down on fourth and one, they faced 3rd and 7 inside Baltimore territory. Manning tried to pass to Jacob Hester. Terrell Suggs appeared to hit him before the ball got there.

If the penalty was called, it would given the Broncos a first down. Instead Prater shanked a field goal, and the Ravens tied it before the half.
    Well if we are rehashing the worst moment in Broncos history, I will just add my two cents. John Fox kneeling with 35 seconds to go in that game was inexcusable. I donít remember the refs much.

The 2012 team was the best team with Peyton, and with any other coach probably would have a good chance at the Super Bowl.

that the game that made Bill Vinovich famous to Bronco fans .........isn't it

I remember both DT and Eric Decker getting mugged in that game .......... no call
    Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

It would have set up a Brady/Manning AFC championship in Denver again.

I am surprised the call I brought up was not mentioned on this site, nor in any other media outlet.

If it was a missed call, it certainly was the biggest one of the game.

Pass Interferences are judgement calls, and the key for good officiating is to be consistent for both teams.

For example, some refs will call a penalty as soon a defender grabs something. Other referees allow a grab if the defender releases in time and the receivers ability to make a play on the ball is not significantly affected.
    Last edited by dolphinsneu; 08-08-2020 at 11:31 PM.

It was more of a Mile High Nightmare, more than a Mile High Miracle, for me.

I am sorry OP ...I read this hours ago...got some feelings....tried to let the feelings go and they still there

Can a Mod please change the title of the thread...this was maybe a Miracle if one is a Raven fan but in Broncos Country this was a nightmare game. I had a harder time emotionally dealing with the Jax loss in the 90s but this loss was just as bad imo. Both had HORRIBLE calls.

Though in hindsight both playoff losses lead to 2 Super Bowl appearances each and 3 Rings total...maybe it was a miracle for everyone but Champ...what is that about works in mysterious ways...
    The question is...have we done bad enough for these stubborn coaches to make some changes...or will the sinking continue

"Mile High Miracle" my ass! More like "Mile High Debacle"!

There were a half dozen, blatant bogus calls/non-calls and the zebras were hosing us just so Ray Ray McThug could go out on top! We had a thread here breaking down each one in graphic detail.

But even with that adversity I still think we might have pulled it out if Fox hadn't been such a wuss.

You want to see a real Mile High Miracle? watch "The Drive II"!
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

There was an article that broke down the calls in detail, though they got some of them wrong.

However, they didn't mention the one I did.

Sometimes if the defender hits the receiver JUST before the ball gets there, the ref will not call a penalty. However Suggs hits Hester clearly before the ball gets there and it does not appear to be because of momentum.

The next year, the Broncos faced the Patriots in the AFC title game, after the Patriots benefited from a big missed call in the divisional round against Indy (Luck was blatantly tripped with no call, which lead to the touchdown that put the game away).

There was a controversial play in that one involving Welker and Talib. The NFL ruled it was legal. Even though Welker hits Talib before the ball is touched it is JUST before. There is no way you can call that with the naked eye.

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
    Well if we are rehashing the worst moment in Broncos history, I will just add my two cents. John Fox kneeling with 35 seconds to go in that game was inexcusable. I donít remember the refs much.

The 2012 team was the best team with Peyton, and with any other coach probably would have a good chance at the Super Bowl.
    See, I completely disagree. To me, kneeling was the right decision, because Manning had nothing left in his arm by that point in the game. There was no miracle drive that was going to happen. He only threw 5 passes in the +20mins of game time after the Ravens last Moore play. And one of those was the game sealing interception. He was totally gassed and struggling at that point. Fox gets a ton of flack for that, but it was the right decision. He saw it breaking down and wanted to give us the best chance to stay in the game and hopefully stall their momentum and win it.

That team as a whole was solid, but the defense was nowhere near the juggernaut that it needed to be to carry the team through the rest of the playoffs.

The common calls mentioned in that game are:

1) The PI call on Tony Carter when it was 7-0. This was the correct call however, as you cannot cut off a receiver when you are not playing the ball.

2) The No-call when Decker had his arm grabbed on the pick-six.

3) The holding call when when the Broncos converted a third and 1 in the third quarter while leading 28-21. However, this was also the correct call because he grabbed and pulled the jersey

4) Peyton Manning's tuck rule fumble the next play. This was ruled to be the correct call.

5) The illegal contact call on the Ravens that gave the Broncos a first down in the fourth quarter when it was 28-28. This was ticky-tack, but I guess you can say it made up for the non-call on Decker.

6) Champ Bailey's PI in overtime. This was a bad call.

7) Anquan Boldin's catch in overtime. This was the correct call.

It is odd that Fox tried to be aggressive at the end of the first half, but was not aggressive at the end of the second half.

Why do we need to rehash this game? There are so many better things to reminisce about through our history than this game. The game is over. We lost. Move on.

Bad calls or not no one is going back and changing the outcome and awarding is a Super Bowl. Letís spend our time ahead of next month talking about this team or better post season memories. Like Tebow to DT in OT.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Why do we need to rehash this game? There are so many better things to reminisce about through our history than this game. The game is over. We lost. Move on.

Bad calls or not no one is going back and changing the outcome and awarding is a Super Bowl. Let’s spend our time ahead of next month talking about this team or better post season memories. Like Tebow to DT in OT.
    This was actually a fantastic game irrespective of the outcome. Ravens did have some help, but then we had plenty of time to put that game away.
    The game that I cannot bring myself to watch is SB48, and I do think that game was much worse than the SB loss to 49'ers, because it was an ugly game especially from Peyton's side.

The Tebow to Thomas for me is kind of bitter sweet because people forget how good that game was up till the "forward/backward pass", Bailey dropping a sure thing in our endzone and McGahee fumbling on the next drive.

We couldn't have a continued Tebow experience and a Manning experience, and it was right to send Tebow packing, but the what-if scenarios were wild with someone with such huge flaws that still managed to produce those results.

It seems that Lock is on a good path, but so was Trevor 5 games in.

Quote Originally Posted by dolphinsneu View Post
    It is odd that Fox tried to be aggressive at the end of the first half, but was not aggressive at the end of the second half.
    Especially given how great Manning was and that he had seen that you could win an overtime game in 11 seconds the year before. It seemed stupid then and it got worse with the eventual result, but then I think there is a reason that the only QBs with winning seasons under Fox are Manning, Tebow and DelHomme. I thought he was a crappy HC for Tebow and along for the ride with Manning.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
    Especially given how great Manning was and that he had seen that you could win an overtime game in 11 seconds the year before. It seemed stupid then and it got worse with the eventual result, but then I think there is a reason that the only QBs with winning seasons under Fox are Manning, Tebow and DelHomme. I thought he was a crappy HC for Tebow and along for the ride with Manning.
    Everybody seems to love trashing Fox, because of his conservative approach to coaching, but you can't deny that he delivered on what Elway seemingly hired him for. He came in to fix the culture left behind by McDaniels, and he did exactly that. Of course he was along for the ride with Peyton. Dungy was along for the ride with Peyton. Doesn't make him a crappy coach. The Bears hired Fox for basically the same reason, and he did a solid job there as well.