• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Butler By'Note
    Super Moderator
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    I maybe wrong, but I think they are still under review.

Why would they need to review it? Both were clear as day on TV last night. Gruden said after the game, he tries with the mask, but he's already had Covid so he's not worried.

Comment

• Butler By'Note
      Super Moderator
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
      I really don’t want to get into a mask debate as I feel there’s some hidden political agenda behind this. I’m out.... I knew better than to click on this thread in the first place.

No agenda whatsoever, other than the NFL is selectively enforcing the rule. Either fine every single coach guilty of it, or fine none. But fining 3 out of 32 when you can watch any game and see that outside of Andy Reid and Bruce Arians, every head coach has their mask off often. Bill Belichick looked like he was auditioning for a role in A Clockwork Orange with his mockery of a mask, but nothing.

Comment

• Butler By'Note
        Super Moderator
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
        Whether the rule makes sense or not doesn't give Fangio, or anyone else, the right to break the rule. Not liking an empoyler's rules isn't an excuse for breaking them. He knew the rule. The league office sent memos to every team. While whether the rule itself is a good one can be debated, there's no excuse for not following the rules.

And if the NFL is only trying to send a message, that is their right.
        But it's not. The NFL is owned by the 32 franchise owners. Whatever the NFL does they do it's ultimately at the desire of those 32 owners. Whether the rule makes sense or not to selectively enforce the rule against 3 of the 32 shareholders when around 30 of them were guilty of the infraction is ridiculous.

And the likelihood is that the 29 other owners are going to look at this, and rather than giving up $250k themselves, they're just going to vote to get rid of the rule.

Comment

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
          team preacher
          • Mar 2008

Dog and pony show.
          sigpic
          Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

• lvbronx
            Old School
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
            But it's not. The NFL is owned by the 32 franchise owners. Whatever the NFL does they do it's ultimately at the desire of those 32 owners. Whether the rule makes sense or not to selectively enforce the rule against 3 of the 32 shareholders when around 30 of them were guilty of the infraction is ridiculous.

And the likelihood is that the 29 other owners are going to look at this, and rather than giving up $250k themselves, they're just going to vote to get rid of the rule.
            Yes, the rule should be enforced uniformly but the excuse " but Johnny did it too" didn't work for me as a kid. Did it work for you? Fangio didn't wear a mask. He should be fined. End of that story.

The rest of your points are irrelevant. Once/if they change the rule then we can start that conversation.

Comment

• DevilSpawn
              versus you
              • Mar 2006

Gruden got fined. And he should. If he was worried about his beard catching cold, he could sleep with peace of mind.

Comment

• beastlyskronk
                Football Immortal
                • Jun 2007

The NFL is just trying cut into the loss of ticket sales.

Comment

• mojo0730
                  Football Immortal
                  • Oct 2006

I'm not agreeing with the contradictory nature of how the NFL is enforcing these Covid-19 rules. But the bottom line is that all the teams wanted to play football, this was an agreed upon condition of being able to play football, and all the teams got a warning after Week 1.

So again, there's no excuse. Just wear a mask. Or a face shield. The more people make a big deal about it the longer we get trapped in these silly discussions.
                  sigpic

Comment

• broncolee
                    Football Immortal
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
                    they need to do something for coaches that are also play callers on the field. andy reid wears that face shield that he had to figure out himself just so he can wear the headset and call plays. it's ridiculous the NFL wants to fine those coaches yet don't offer a proper mask for them to wear with a head set on.
                    They shouldn’t need special masks to wear a head set. The normal mask is fine.

Reid is the exception because he went with the shield. That’s on him.
                    Stop Feeding The Trolls, Please!!!!!

Comment

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
                      team preacher
                      • Mar 2008

I am not an anti masker, I believe they serve a purpose but I dont see it here. These coaches essentially live in a bubble with these players. The only reason they’re asking them to wear them is because the cameras are rolling.
                      sigpic
                      Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

• CanDB
                        Football Immortal
                        • Mar 2008

Neither were Gruden or Payton. So far no fines for them. In fact you could go through every single game and find the coaches not wearing masks at times. And that doesn't even take into account the ridiculous of Reid and his face shield, I guess somehow air, and particles, can't get around the open visor...
                        I maybe wrong, but I think they are still under review.
                        Why would they need to review it? Both were clear as day on TV last night. Gruden said after the game, he tries with the mask, but he's already had Covid so he's not worried.
                        I am simply responding to you that those two coaches may be fined yet. The review I mention might just be a process/timing thing. Lets see what happens.

Comment

• EddieMac
                          Canuck Mod, eh!
                          • Feb 2004

I am simply responding to you that those two coaches may be fined yet. The review I mention might just be a process/timing thing. Lets see what happens.
                          That seem ridiculous. They made decisions on several coaches real time... why would they now need to review or process other fines? By Monday night we knew Sunday finds,,,by Tues morning we knew the MNF fine,,, but other need more time?

Head scratcher ...
                          sigpic

Comment

• Butler By'Note
                            Super Moderator
                            • Dec 2008

Yep they were fined, because it was so high profile. The league has now fined 5 coaches/teams, and let about 24 others who were guilty go with nothing. Belichick was openly mocking them with his bird mask, no fine there though.

If you're going to have the rule, fine, but go after every guilty party, don't just make examples of some coaches. And if you're not going to enforce it evenly, they just get rid of the rule.

Comment

• Butler By'Note
                              Super Moderator
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                              That seem ridiculous. They made decisions on several coaches real time... why would they now need to review or process other fines? By Monday night we knew Sunday finds,,,by Tues morning we knew the MNF fine,,, but other need more time?

Head scratcher ...
                              Nothing about the rule, or the way they've decided who to fine makes sense. I'm not sure why they're not fining assistant coaches? Plenty of guys out there barely wearing masks. Why not fine the backup QBs? They're not playing in the game and as pointed out, unless they're testing them constantly every hour, they could have caught it, and no test is 100%.

Or they could treat these people like adults who are tested every day and let them decide if they want to wear a mask. You know, since the league has to certify they're negative in order for them to get on the field.

Comment

• Lumiere
                                All-Time Great
                                • Jan 2011

The coaches go through the exact same testing protocols the players do, if they have a positive test, they won't be out there. So if following those protocols the players don't need to wear masks, why do the coaches have to? The rule is nothing more than the NFL trying to look like they're doing something, while not actually doing something that makes sense.

There were three coaches/teams fined, I expect a quick joint appeal, because they can show plenty of video of other coaches that weren't fined but weren't wearing masks. Belichick was wearing a mask that basically covered his nose, but somehow that was good enough?
                                The players are safe because they're wearing helmets. :thumb:

To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

Working...
                                X