Thread: Nascar

Nascar

Why is NASCAR considered a sport? Obviously, I am not a NASCAR enthusiast. I don't detest it. Anything that can bring that much joy and provoke hours upon hours of discussion can't be a bad thing. I just don't view it as a sport.
    At least in cheerleading there is physical activity in a team environment.
    I've walked these streets, a loaded six-string on my back, I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back, I've been everywhere still I'm standin' tall, I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all!!:salute!:

Thats why they consider it motorsports, John!

My computer is garbage and cannot digest this link. To reitterate my question. Why is this considered a sport? I noticed that the Playboy replied that it is considered a motorsport, which I kinda knew. Why is it held in the same regard as other sports?
    I've walked these streets, a loaded six-string on my back, I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back, I've been everywhere still I'm standin' tall, I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all!!:salute!:

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad John

My computer is garbage and cannot digest this link. To reitterate my question. Why is this considered a sport? I noticed that the Playboy replied that it is considered a motorsport, which I kinda knew. Why is it held in the same regard as other sports?

From that thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Jared

1) Whatever I say, do not take it personally, because I doubt I will change your mind, and I doubt you will change mind. SO let's have a friendly discussion.

2) My definiton of a sport is something that invloves more physical activity and strategy against another human being than NASCAR provides. Even in team sports, there are still individual battles waged for the good of the team (in theory. Some players are selfish and egotistical, but that is another discussion entirely). So, even though NASCAR has a crew and a driver, going aroung in left turns for 4 hours as fast as one can seems to be lacking strategy and some sort of direct physical skill matchup with another human being. Just my definition, which I actually had to think about in a college philosophy course way back when, something titled Games, sports and war or something, about how mankind has always had some kind of game or comepetitions......again, another discussion for another time.

3) yes, I have attented races. Too many for my tastes, but hey. I grew up about 7 miles from Nazareth International Raceway in Nazareth, PA. Home of the Andretti family. Very nice people. I have encountered Mario and Michael numerous times doing normal domestic things with their wives.....while driving their Lamborghinis! :-) I also attended and then worked at a summer camp about 1.5 miles away from Pocono International Speedway. Twice a summer every summer from when I was 10 until I was 21, the camp used to drag us there for the races.......SIGH. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZ

Wasted days that I will never get back, in my opinion. Too loud, too many drunk people, too hot, too loud, too boring, did I mention too loud? Not appealing. I am not a gearhead, so maybe that's it. About the only thing I hate more than having to clean or work on my car is cleaning the bathroom or the cat litter. God made mechanics for a reason! :-)

After college I got a job at a Country radio station in Wilkes-Barre, PA which is about 35 miles from Pocono, and got to go to the races with a media pass, which was more fun, because I got to go into the garages and help record the interviews, and BS with the TV crews who were basically doing the same job as me, only for TV (recording, editing, producing, whatever you want to call it). I also went on our winner bus, and seeing how excited our listeners were was cool, but then I would go find my fave local bar in the Poconos (when you work on a summer camp staff, you get to know all the cool local places, where the NASCAR tourists don't go) and catch a baseball game or something while the race was in progress.

So yes, I have been to probably 30 races in my life, and not one has ever been interesting to me. I actually went on the air on overnights because I was tired of going to those races with my station, and overnighters weren't required to be there! I slept all day long.

3) Going 150+ MPH in a car ain't hard. NASCAR experience in Florida (or Carolina?) lets people do that. (or used to anyway)Now, 5 hours? Yeah, that would be tough. I'd fall asleep. Driving 5 hours straight is boring to me. I did do that one lap at 163, and you don't even realize how fast you are going because those aren't really 'stock' cars. Now I'd be a hell of a lot more impressed if they actually took cars off the lot and converted them, but they are built strictly for racing, and they go....fast! Again, I have been lucky and blessed that I work in a field that allows me to go with winners on these things, and I certainly know an opportuinity to do something unique when I see it, even if just to say I did it.

You asked if I consider golf, tennis, and fishing sports. The answers are no, yes, and no respectively. Fishing barely qualifies as activity to me.

Maybe its my more urban background, but until I went to college, I never even knew anyone who went fishing. I used to flip thru and see fishing shows on TV and wonder "Who would watch other people fish?"

The risk involved does not factor into my equation of whether it is a sport. Anytme you decide to do anything, there is always the risk of physical injury, even just going for a jog.

And in my opinion, the most dominant racer ever was Richard Petty. I know he won something like 200 races, which is so far ahead of the next person, its ridiculous. Its like comparing Jerry Rice to every other reciever, or Jimi Hendrix to every other rock guitarist. No one is even in the same plane of existence with that guy. I think he might be an alien! :-)

I hope this gives you a better idea of my feelings toward NASCAR and racing in general.

And you had no way of knowing that EVERYONE always uses that "go to a race first' argument with me. I have, and I still don't like it.

Peace
    Last edited by Jared; 03-07-2005 at 09:21 AM.

Thanks for the clarification Jared. LOL! Man I do love to fish, but have often wondered why people watch it on TV as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad John
    Thanks for the clarification Jared. LOL! Man I do love to fish, but have often wondered why people watch it on TV as well.

True and I picked up a golf club for the first time ever this weekend and someone was actually teaching me how to play - I really really liked it and now see why people get so over zealous about it and I can also now see how they can watch it on TV - well kind of - its more of a background show for me (have it on while your really doing something else, like cleaning or something)

IMO Nascar is a more of a live event sport - its awesome when you are there - it can get boring and tedious on the tube - yet another background show, IMO

But heres some discussion on why I consider it a sport

http://216.58.161.130/forums/showthr...ghlight=Nascar

I can see why people cant really see it as a sport. But considering some of the other things that are considered sports, Nascar doesn't seem so bad. Like curling, darts, bowling, etc.

I think nascar is boring until one of two things happen. One: A crash (I know that morbid, but hey, I'm human) or two: it's the last lap.
    ---IZAAK