Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    I hope you have better luck with him than we had with our Ricky.
    Mind you we had some good years out of him so that's something.
    He could turn out to be a good player for you. Down the line having gone through tough circumstances can help you become a better player. You might have to wait a bit for him to rediscover the promise he showed a few yrs ago but hopefully for you it will be worth the wait.

I dont see the problem with Clarrett.

A few weeks ago I had a feeling that Clarrett would end up in Denver and it looks like I was right.

I say give him a chance; he has an opportunity now and if he blows it will be the last straw.

Its make or break time as far as he is concerned and I really do think that before the season is over he will start a game and do really well.

If he doesn’t make it now he will spend the rest of his ‘career’ in the arena league.

And I think he knows that.

I suggest you all take a chill pill and have faith in the management; after all its those guys making the decisions and getting paif for it; have some faith!
    kiwi Bronco fan

lol

I dont care if mo wouldve been taken in the second round i still wouldnt start him over tatum bell. Not a chance! Yea Tatum was injured a lot and everybody is noticing how hard bell is working to be a star for denver. Tatum has ok vision that is one thing that mo has on him. I think mo will get playing time just like tatum did last year when droughns was ripping it up but only in the red zone none of this one quarter tatum one quarter mo. Anderson is old news and he will only play in 4th or 3rd and short situations if hes lucky cause we have big Ron Dayne here too. So what ofensive lineman did we get in the draft?
    *D.J. Williams top linebacker in 2006*

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybronco74
    Lets face it we all knew we draft a RB.....I personally had a feeling it would be Clarett. The Mastermind is on his game we got a good draft we stole it with Clarett and got some depth in the DB field. Espically after hearing Clarett speak I am very impressed....seems to have a good head on his shoulders. He acts grateful to have a chance and I think he will take advantage. If you are all like me and I know.....I cant wait to see the 1st preseason game to see him play....it maybe preseason but I cant wait to see what he can do. The upside is wide open! He seemed very honest and geniune and he wants no part in holdouts just wants to play football. I like that in a player. Come on Bronco fans we root for the underdog. Remember what it feels like we used to be the underdog....lets root this guy on I think he deserves it.

You really think so. I posted this in another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrhampton
    mikey choosing talent in the draft. Lets see,

84 on the current roster not counting rookies.
    23 were drafted 24 if you count gold.

his dafting record
    year # left # drafted
    95****0*******7
    96****0******12
    97****1*******3
    98****0*******6
    99****1******12
    00****0******10
    01****2*******6
    02****6*******8
    03****4******10
    04****9******10

fa
    97****1
    01****1
    02****2
    03****8
    04***18
    05***15
    Trades
    03****1
    04****2
    05****3

Nine of the 23 draftees were last years, giving the DAFTING KING a whooping 16% of his draft choices more than ONE year on the job.

4 more in 03 down to 10% more than two years and 6 more in 02 down to 4.7% more than 3 years on the job.

84 choices since he got here 23 left 27% how many of them lasted more than 3 years I don't have the time or energy to waste looking it up.

Now if you think that is good more power to you and if you want to compare his prowess to other coaches have a ball.

But any way you slice it 65% of the team on your roster are free agents, something is wrong with the college scouting and drafting section of your organization.

FA are players you can in most cases see play against real NFL players.

College seems a bit more abstract and it appears we just have not mastered that concept.

I think our success is in the genius of the HEAD Coach, not in the acquisition of talent through the draft.

ANY ONE who knows anything the NFL will say anything BUT the long term building of a franchise is done in the draft. You fill holes with FA. it looks to me like we have had MAJOR holes to fill because of our inability to draft well.

Maurice Clarrett...two words...Lawrence Phillips.

I'm very pessamistic about this pick. I don't understand Shanny's thinking here? Clarrett seems to be lacking in the character and discipline required to be a successful back in the NFL. Granted I have never met with him only get what the media feeds me, but I think this was a poor move by the orange and blue.
    Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.

It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

Vince Lombardi

The real problem that I have with the drafting of Clarrett is this, we traded away a proven back in Portis because he had "attitude issues", and then we blow a draft pick on another guy that has a history of the exact same problems. Not saying that people cant change, but with the other problems that the broncos have on defense, I would not take a chance on a guy when you already have a stable of solid backs that have already proven themselves. Gonna take a wait and see attitude on this one and hope for the best.

We need to step back from these accusations of 'attitude problems' that we are hurling at Maurice Clarett. Put yourself in his position. You come from a poor background and your one gift is you are able to run the ball. You make poor choices because of your youth and your background(being from a poor family) at Ohio State University. I don't buy this crap that Ohio State is shoveling about that stuff (under the counter money, special treatment for players) that Clarett accused them of doing(their Men's basketball team was suspended for violations of the NCAA). STILL, the choice was Clarett's and he made them. So what happens, Ohio State turns their back on him because they get embarrassed. Now, everyone hates him at college, he no longer gets to play football for the team, so he leaves. He sees alot of young guys going straight to the NBA making millions, so he asks, "Why not me?" Whether or not you agree with his decision to sue(I didn't only because of the types of injuries a kid straight out of HS would would encounter if he played in the NFL), you have to admit that he did have a valid arguement. He is just trying to make a living doing what he loves. Well, he wins(at first), and when he gets to the combine he notices how everyone oohs and ahhs over how one of the other RB's was ripped, while Clarett(who basically is still a kid) is not as ripped. He sees this, and thinks that is what I need to do. Well, then they tell him he can't enter the draft. So he decides to begin preparing for the next combine, getting bigger and as ripped as possible. Unfortunately, by adding this weight to his frame, he loses his speed. His agent tells him he is too big and that he is going to have to lose weight before the combine, so MO goes on a diet. He didn't have much fat, so he loses muscle mass. If I am not mistaken he loses 10 to 15 lbs of basically muscle within a month. He is worried about his 40 time, so he trains too hard for it. He even runs in his hotel the night before his workouts. He has a terrible 40 time, gets discouraged thinking all he has worked for is over and is afraid all his other workouts would be just as bad so he refuses to work out anymore. His Pro day, more relaxed, but still too big, he has a better time. Guys, I am glad we picked him up. Like TD said on the NFLNetwork, the Broncos are trying to bring in class players and they wouldn't have picked him if they didn't think he would fit us. From what I understand, Bobby Turner went to bat for him. If anyone knows RBs, its gonna be our RB coach.
    Personal goals: GOAL WEIGHT = 250lbs
    Weight loss needed for FGW = 120 lbs
    Weight lost so far: - 24 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by thejhenson
    The real problem that I have with the drafting of Clarrett is this, we traded away a proven back in Portis because he had "attitude issues", and then we blow a draft pick on another guy that has a history of the exact same problems. Not saying that people cant change, but with the other problems that the broncos have on defense, I would not take a chance on a guy when you already have a stable of solid backs that have already proven themselves. Gonna take a wait and see attitude on this one and hope for the best.
    He didnt have an attitude, he wanted more money and we needed D so we traded him. Get ur facts right bud

Quote Originally Posted by Jrhampton
    Nine of the 23 draftees were last years, giving the DAFTING KING a whooping 16% of his draft choices more than ONE year on the job.
    Thanks for those statistics, JR. It's nice to know that a few on these boards can honestly present intelligent debate. You've done more than anyone to show me that, while Shanny has few peers when it comes to preparing a team, he has questionable credentials in his evaluation of talent on the draft boards--at least until he gets down to the middle rounds, for some ironic reason. I do believe, however that, while he has a couple FA busts (as does everyone), he has faired better there, if not in volume, in the quality of the FAs that did make it. Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56
    Shanahan always gambles too much especially with draft picks. I think his ego got the best of him this year and we'll pay for it next year when Rod retires, half the D-line are FAs and we can't afford to keep the starters on the O-line. I know we'll have better draft position next year, but Shanny will gamble on some 3rd-4th rounders and take them with our 1st rounders because he thinks he can make them superstars.

Sorry if I sound pessimistic, but no one on this board can say in good conscience that Clarett was worth a third rounder with guys like Sproles, Pearman, Fason, etc still available. Not that we needed a running back anyway.
    I have to agree totally with this. Unfortunately I no longer have any faith in Shanahan's ability to draft.

He remains a good coach in other areas, but his draft history leaves a great deal to be desired.

It's not that all the picks are busts by any means. It's that he REACHES on so many picks. Which of course prevents him from being able to select other players.

In addition, he hasn't used a #1 draft pick on a DL since Trevor Pryce. You just CAN'T fill the DL with FA's year after year and expect to win the SB.

I thought that after he got Warren & Courtney Brown to shore up the line for 1 year, he'd take a DL with the 1st or 2nd pick. Then he traded away the #1 pick, which was a good move, getting additional value.

Let's give Shanahan credit there. Everybody was trying to trade down out of the bottom of the 1st round, but Shanahan actually accomplished it. He got good value for that pick in the future #1 next year, a #3 this year, and a #4 next year. Plus, Washington could go 6-10 again which would give us about the #10 pick of the entire draft (this year 6-10 gets you somewhere between #8-#12 depending on strength of schedule).

But he didn't address the long-term need at DL. Next year after the Browns FA's leave the Broncos will be right back where they are now.

He did get an OL with the #6th round pick, but I would have been much happier if he'd drafted an OL with the pick he wasted on Clarett!

Unless Tom Nalen plays 2 more seasons, Ben Hamilton will move to center, leaving 1 spot open, plus LT Matt Lepsis will be a FA. He will be GONE since the Broncos can't afford to give him the big $ signing bonus a starting LT will automatically get. So, Foster will have to move to LT creating another hole on the line at RT. The Broncos are probably going to need 2 additional linemen next season, and it would be best if they were already used to the system so they could step in and play.

CB, he got 3 DB's none of whom look like starters anytime soon. Maybe Foxworth might become a starter one day. But there were certainly better CB's available if that's what he wanted.

He took the best CB/KR in Doggy-ent Williams. He tried that once before with Deltha O'Neal and that didn't turn out too well. Even if this guy is the best KR out there (and remember that Justin Miller was probably better and he was taken 1 pick later) it's STILL a wasted pick because your #2 draft pick OUGHT to be able to do more than just special teams!

Also, why draft a kicker when so many undrafted FA kickers will be available. That's a minor quibble though, since it was only a 7th round pick.

Overall the draft was a D. It was saved from being an F by picking up CB Foxworth, and G Chris Myers in the 6th round. Neither of those 2 guys are future pro-bowl material, but they could be useful players down the road.

The rest of the draft was basically road-kill.

Clarett has had some hard issues in his life, which is why I think he will be great in the NFL. The past is behind him and he knows what will happen to him if he screws up. His has a lot of motivation and wants to prove to everyone that he is as good as they said he was when he was 18, carrying the Buckeyes all the way to the title game.

I have always doubted his drafting ability. while he has been able to produce late round picks, they are always RB and then they only excel because of the system. Yes, thank u for those statistics. That should give all us fans reason to belive that shanny should stay out of the front office. Great coaches dont make great GMs, its to much work. Look at Holmgren in SEA nobody can disagree with me here he is a great coach and able to coach the QB well he just cant get it done as gm. But then again we dont want to whind up with someone like the Donahoe from the bills
    Last edited by dabreeze1984; 04-25-2005 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pikman
    Maurice Clarrett...two words...Lawrence Phillips.

I'm very pessamistic about this pick. I don't understand Shanny's thinking here? Clarrett seems to be lacking in the character and discipline required to be a successful back in the NFL. Granted I have never met with him only get what the media feeds me, but I think this was a poor move by the orange and blue.
    Bobby Turner our runningbacks coach knows this kid and has stayed in contact with him over the last couple of years. Turner thinks Clarett is worth the gamble and Shanahan said he trusts Turner's judgement when it comes to runningbacks. All though I'm lukewarm to Clarett being on the team I have to admit with Turner's success it's mighty tough to argue against his assements.
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2...iamssigwj2.jpg

Thanks Snk16

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC
    Bobby Turner our runningbacks coach knows this kid and has stayed in contact with him over the last couple of years. Turner thinks Clarett is worth the gamble and Shanahan said he trusts Turner's judgement when it comes to runningbacks. All though I'm lukewarm to Clarett being on the team I have to admit with Turner's success it's mighty tough to argue against his assements.
    If a former fullback can gain 1200+ in less than a full season, a guy who was the Adrian Peterson of the NCAA 2 years ago can atleast do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoStampede
    If a former fullback can gain 1200+ in less than a full season, a guy who was the Adrian Peterson of the NCAA 2 years ago can atleast do the same.
    If you're talking about Droughns (which I assume you are) up until he came to Denver he had been tailback and at that was a feature back of his team in college so really doesn't surprise me about Droughns.

Honestly I still think that Bell is going to be our starter if he stays healthy. If can do that Clarett wont be able to overtake him.
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2...iamssigwj2.jpg

Thanks Snk16