What are our greatest needs for next year?

Well, seeing how most our guys are picked up now.......who will we need to replace or where will we need to improve next year?
    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

I think our two safty positions might be the biggest need going into next offseason. Lynch is way past his prime, and will not last much longer. And i'm still not certian about the other safty spot even for this year. Nick Fergurson may have the potential to be a quality starter, but i havn't seen much from him. We still have no idea how LeSure switching to safty will work out. So for the future, were really not set on either safty spot. And we desperatly need a safty who can cover, as we saw last season. Even the best corners will be beat by above average recievers if their put up against them 1 on 1 every time, with little help behind him. And thats most the reason why Champ looked bad in a couple of games...I'm sure yall know which ones i'm talking about. And hopefully we have that solid future cover safty in LeSuere, or Brandon Browner...but we can never tell untill we watch them play.

I think O-line will be something we need to work on next offseason also...Hopefully Chris Myers can take over the center role in a couple years without and problem whenever Nalan retires, but we can't count on it..And even if Myers is our "center of the future"...that still leaves gaurd....and i've never been too impressed with cooper carlise as a starter, but he does make a great 6th O-lineman type guy. And our starting guys in general are all getting old. (with the exeption of Foster) I don't know for sure how old Lepsis is, but i remember hearing that his contract takes a huge jump in the 2006 season. And if he dosn't restructure, he might be gone...never know. Next years o-lineman draft class is expected to be one of the best in a very long time...and we need to take advantage of that.

And also maybe anotherWR, a third reciever, type...the role Jerry Rice will play this season...(assuming he retires) but i'd rather address reciever needs through free agency next season...instead of draft

There you go. I put 'em in order too...

Quote Originally Posted by EddyMac87
    I think our two safty positions might be the biggest need going into next offseason. Lynch is way past his prime, and will not last much longer. And i'm still not certian about the other safty spot even for this year. Nick Fergurson may have the potential to be a quality starter, but i havn't seen much from him. We still have no idea how LeSure switching to safty will work out. So for the future, were really not set on either safty spot. And we desperatly need a safty who can cover, as we saw last season. Even the best corners will be beat by above average recievers if their put up against them 1 on 1 every time, with little help behind him. And thats most the reason why Champ looked bad in a couple of games...I'm sure yall know which ones i'm talking about. And hopefully we have that solid future cover safty in LeSuere, or Brandon Browner...but we can never tell untill we watch them play.

I think O-line will be something we need to work on next offseason also...Hopefully Chris Myers can take over the center role in a couple years without and problem whenever Nalan retires, but we can't count on it..And even if Myers is our "center of the future"...that still leaves gaurd....and i've never been too impressed with cooper carlise as a starter, but he does make a great 6th O-lineman type guy. And our starting guys in general are all getting old. (with the exeption of Foster) I don't know for sure how old Lepsis is, but i remember hearing that his contract takes a huge jump in the 2006 season. And if he dosn't restructure, he might be gone...never know. Next years o-lineman draft class is expected to be one of the best in a very long time...and we need to take advantage of that.

And also maybe anotherWR, a third reciever, type...the role Jerry Rice will play this season...(assuming he retires) but i'd rather address reciever needs through free agency next season...instead of draft

There you go. I put 'em in order too...
    That was a pretty good analysis in all. I'm not sure whether Lynch is way past his prime, but indeed it is time to be considering his replacement. That probably is the reason for Browner. He seemed to slip under the radar as CB because of his relative lack of speed, but for safety, especially strong safety, it is fine. LeSueur is full of talent and offers tremendous promise. However, whether both or either of them translate that promise onto the field remains to be seen, as you suggested.

It is a great relief to see the new arrivals on the Dline because up until then both lines were sources of worry. And I do believe we have some beasts there--if we can keep them. Nontheless, the Oline remains a big cause for concern. It would be nice to be able to insert Spikes at RG beside Foster. That would be a lot of beef trampling down defensive linemen and linebackers. I remember the days of Gene Upshaw and Art Shell of the Raiders. They could just about point to the hole they were going to run, then rip off seven yards. Maybe that's a slight exaggeration, but what a tandem! If Spikes is any good at all, think of the power on that right side! And, at 28 years old, Spikes could give us five or six more good years.

The future of the side left of center, including center, is less stable. Lepsis is 31, so he may be able to produce for another three or four years. However, his forté is quickness, so his skill will probably fall off faster than if he were a power tackle. Nalen is a big worry. He just turned 34, so our anchor, Mr. Pro Bowl, is in the twilight of his career. Finding a good center is very hard to do, and finding one to fill Nalen's shoes will be tremendously difficult. But Denver has a history of fine centers, so hopefully they will continue that tradition.

I don't believe we need a #3 type receiver. We have a fine one for that level in Darius Watts. Lelie is a great #2 receiver, and I expect big things for him in the long range game. I believe Lelie will improve his short routes, but only for the purpose of keeping the secondary from backing off him too far. I don't believe he will ever run the quality short routes a #1 needs to run. The #1 must excel in that area and still be able to burn the secondary for long ones, occasionally. That might be a good consideration for the upcoming draft; with the choices we have, we should get a good one (provided we don't get another Marcus Nash). Your suggestion to get a receiver through FA is not a terribly bad one, but you must keep in mind that top veteran receivers are not cheap, and we have quite a few vital, core players coming into FA themselves. So that might be particularly difficult.

Anyway, mine is much the same as yours with just a couple tweaks.

-----

I agree with you guys' but you also have to look at our cornerback position. As or right now, we have Champ, Lenny, Willy and then rookies and second year players. Sure that may not be bad this year, (MAY) but those young'ins are gonna hafta fill in soon because I seriously doubt Lenny is here for the long haul, his contract next year will take a big jump, as all of Rosenhauses do, we are gonna need someone we have fill in, becaues if we have to adress this need through F/A, we are killing our salary cap, which would leave one of the other big holes open.

Edit: This has bugged me since we first round tendered Lenny, sure he may become a great player, but with Drew as his agent, it most likely wont be for us. Kelly could have prolly ended up sticking around a lot longer, an while he may not have become a superstar, he would have been better than having to throw a 3rd-undrafted player who hasnt really played nfl in there, as we may end up doing after this season.
    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

All Denver needs is consistency and by that I mean Denver's players need to consistently be healthy and be ready for each and every game. It would absolutely kill Denver if Jake Plummer was injured. ( Unless of course they sign Tim Couch*)

* Yep, I still like Couch. He was just on a bad team with a bad coach and he will turn heads somewhere.

As I see it...

#1 - A franchise DE. Hopefully we'll get a top ten pick outta Washington and can use it here ( I don't think Pryce or Brown will be around next year, or at least not both).

#2 - A big play WR. I'm just not sold on Ashley ever being a solid #1 and I don't think Watts will be anything other than a decent 3rd option. Rod Smith will not be around forever and it usually takes a year or two to develop a WR.

#3 - A DT. As with Brown, Warren may only be a rental and we really need a solid anchor on the D-line to keep o-linemen off our LBs and allow them to fly around.

#4 - A solid QB. I'm not hating on Plummer, but after him, the depth chart looks pretty thin on talent and potential. The last two years all of us fans have cringed after every sack and knockdown knowing that even though some people don't like him, as Plummer goes, so goes our season.

The last thing we'll need are more RBs, CBs, LBs, Punters, or TEs ... IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan
    All Denver needs is consistency and by that I mean Denver's players need to consistently be healthy and be ready for each and every game. It would absolutely kill Denver if Jake Plummer was injured. ( Unless of course they sign Tim Couch*)

* Yep, I still like Couch. He was just on a bad team with a bad coach and he will turn heads somewhere.
    At this point, I seriously would like to see Couch here.

-----
    Last edited by topscribe; 06-15-2005 at 10:04 PM.

alot depends on what happens this year and how certain players develop. if browner doesnt look like he will be able to fill lynch's shoes SS has to be a top priority if not for next year the year after.

if Lepsis can get big money then OT becomes probably our most pressing concern. i expect, with next years tackle crop supposed to be stellar, we will draft one with the redskin pick and let lepsis go or franchise him if we dont want to start a rookie. when nalen retires, could be next year , Hamilton will move into the center spot so we need to find a guard or two, depending on how carlisle does this year. Myers will probably be there but more depth is good depth.

hopefully we can sign walls to a long term contract this year if not i think we have to address it through free agency. it doesnt make much sense to me to draft more corners at this point.

and d line. where to start. to many question marks and what ifs. first off i dont think if warren has a good season its as doom and gloom as some believe. he might appreciate where his career finally started to blossom and as long as we can offer him a fair contract he may not necessarily go for the highest dollar. of course there are questions about every single dline player on our roster. if, by the end of the season, we dont have some concrete answers i think this is our area of greatest concern for next offseason. if necessary i would like to see our first three picks used on d lineman (worse case scenario for this year though as that would mean no one had a good year ).
    "Philosophers have hitherto merely interpreted the world in various ways; the point, however, is to change it."--Karl Marx

"And I tell you this, that you must give an account on judgement day of every idle word you speak. The words you say now reflect your fate then; either you will be justified by them or you will be condemned."--Jesus Christ