Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynbronco
    The scary thing is that the ravens improved on thier defense if you can believe that.

baltimore
    NE
    carolina
    denver
    pitsburgh
    philly
    jags
    washington
    buffalo
    jets

They have no top quality D-lineman, they lost Boulware and Hartwell, and are two deep on LB's with great DB'S. I don't know if they improved???

Washington didn't have the number one defense last year for nothing, Baltimore, Jacksonville, Carolina, KC new pick-ups. Patrick Surtain, Kendrell Bell.
    [B][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=4][COLOR=Blue]D[/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrange]E[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue]N[/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrange]V[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue]E[/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrange]R[/COLOR] [COLOR=Blue]B[/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrange]R[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue]O[/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrange]N[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue]C[/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrange]O[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue]S[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[IMG]http://img40.echo.cx/img40/5551/lordchampbaileysig1ph.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://img154.echo.cx/img154/9126/lordchampbaileysig21ay.jpg[/IMG]
    [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=Blue]Signature made by Snk16![/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Tahoma]BEEN A FAN OF THE DENVER BRONCOS SINCE 1997.
    [COLOR=Blue]JOHN ELWAY IS THE BEST QUARTERBACK TO PUT ON THAT DENVER BRONCOS UNIFORM.[/COLOR]
    WORLD CHAMPIONS: 1998, 1999.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Baltimore with their newly installed 46 defense. With Big Ray roaming around freely, just imagine the possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by ReleaseTheBeast7
    Baltimore with their newly installed 46 defense. With Big Ray roaming around freely, just imagine the possibilities.
    You can't roam freely when you have nobody in front of you.

It's difficult to say who will have the "best" defense when you don't have a consistent criterion to measure those defenses. Most on this thread have bought into the NFL Hype Machine and robotically say "The Baltimore Ravens", but they were only 6th best defense last year (yards allowed), 5th best in average gain per defensive play.

A key factor in assessing "best" defense which no one has mentioned is the teams you'll play. Obviously, teams in weak divisions should have their defensive numbers "padded". I think Denver has a great defense, but I don't think we'll finish #1 statistically, given our schedule. For instance, half the teams w/top 10 defenses last year didn't even make the play-offs, and the two Super Bowl teams were the #9 and #10 defenses.

Since everyone plays different teams, it becomes pretty subjective in deciding the "best" defense (basically, which roster do you like better). Having said all that, the two best defenses next year will be Washington and Jacksonville, given their rosters and schedules.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoRT
    They have no top quality D-lineman, they lost Boulware and Hartwell, and are two deep on LB's with great DB'S. I don't know if they improved???
    how can being too deep in LB's with great DB's be a bad thing? and they are running a 46 defense too? wasn't boulware hurt a lot? i don't know if he will be missed as much as hartwell.
    Bronco fan 33 years and counting, GO BRONCOS!

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoRT
    You can't roam freely when you have nobody in front of you.
    you honestly think that team will get no pass rush from the d line? they lose people on defense and replace them with other's just like NE does.
    this defense will be either one or two all year.

you honestly think that team will get no pass rush from the d line? they lose people on defense and replace them with other's just like NE does.
    this defense will be either one or two all year.

I dunno. The curent roster on d-line is a bunch of nobodies with meage stats. They will be deep there, but there is no one really scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared
    I dunno. The curent roster on d-line is a bunch of nobodies with meage stats. They will be deep there, but there is no one really scary.
    i don't think they have to be scary. in a 46 d you rush more defenders than the other team can block and depend on that open guy to get to the QB. most likely that will be LB's or safeties. The d line just has take up space and gaps. though it would be nice to have all pro Defensive linemen I don't believe you need spectacular play for defense to create a lot of havoc.

yes statisticly they were not as good as denver last year but how many turnovers were turned into touchdowns? how many of those turnovers came at crucial times of the game. when they need it this defense turns it up at the right time to bail out thier offense.
    that offense puts a lot a pressure on the d to keep the game close.

i don't think they have to be scary. in a 46 d you rush more defenders than the other team can block and depend on that open guy to get to the QB. most likely that will be LB's or safeties. The d line just has take up space and gaps. though it would be nice to have all pro Defensive linemen I don't believe you need spectacular play for defense to create a lot of havoc.

yes statisticly they were not as good as denver last year but how many turnovers were turned into touchdowns? how many of those turnovers came at crucial times of the game. when they need it this defense turns it up at the right time to bail out thier offense.
    that offense puts a lot a pressure on the d to keep the game close.
    But with teh 46 d, you need all stars at basically every position, and you need two really great pass rushers (White and Simmons for the Eagles, or Dent and Marshall)

Baltimore has only 1.

Quote Originally Posted by oaklandxraiderx
    I dont really know at this point which team will have the 'best' defense in the entire league, but heres a few teams i think will be in the Top 10 for defense this yr...
    1. new england
    2.baltimore
    3.denver
    4.jacksonville
    5.carolina
    6.tampa bay
    7.pittsburgh
    8.buffalo
    9.chicago
    10.kansas city
    Nope. Not New England. They had the #9 defense last year, and they have lost people at a couple key positions. Scuttlebut has it that Bruschi may come back, but even if he does, will he ever be the same? Although Chad Brown has been signed, how will he fit in? Also, seemingly unknown is that, outside Starks, the whole lot is relatively slow. They have a terrific team, as those SB trophies attest, but isolating the defense presents an entirely different picture. With the improvement of several other teams, I would take NE clear out of the top 10.

IMHO.

-----

Quote Originally Posted by Jared
    But with teh 46 d, you need all stars at basically every position, and you need two really great pass rushers (White and Simmons for the Eagles, or Dent and Marshall)

Baltimore has only 1.
    wilbur marshall was a LB not a defensive end. yes dent was a pass rusher but they were stacked at LB too. dan hampton, w perry, and dent on the line.not too sure of steve mcmichael.
    wilbur marshall, m singletary and otis wilson at LB. dan duereson, gary fencik, t bell weren't exactly the greastest set of DB's but with that pass rush those DB's looked awesome.
    in philly buddy ryan established the same type of talent. jerome brown, r white clyde simmons on the d line. seth joyner at LB and eric allen and andre watters at safety. great players but not every position was an all pro. both defense were touted as one of the best ever but i don't think you need that much talent to succeed in the 46.
    bmore was a good defense before the 46 arrived. they drafted pretty good and the addition of samari rolle doesn't hurt.
    if you wanna give them a question mark on thier d line ok but I believe by the end of the year this defense will be 1 or 2

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe
    Nope. Not New England. They had the #9 defense last year, and they have lost people at a couple key positions. Scuttlebut has it that Bruschi may come back, but even if he does, will he ever be the same? Although Chad Brown has been signed, how will he fit in? Also, seemingly unknown is that, outside Starks, the whole lot is relatively slow. They have a terrific team, as those SB trophies attest, but isolating the defense presents an entirely different picture. With the improvement of several other teams, I would take NE clear out of the top 10.

IMHO.

-----

as much as it takes talent it was bill belichek mesh of interchangable parts that helped that defense. every year they lost some other talent to FA and they just put another player to get the job done. will this team be as awesome as they were on thier super bowl runs? maybe not the lost of romeo will be missed more than the FA losses but not enough to knock them down that much. a top ten defense will not be hard to for this defense to attain. just remember thier 2nd stringers played a lot last year due to several stars getting hurt and they still managed to be a no. 9 defense as you say.
    those former 2nd string players will have gotten the experience and be ready to come in and handle their responsibilties.

as much as it takes talent it was bill belichek mesh of interchangable parts that helped that defense. every year they lost some other talent to FA and they just put another player to get the job done. will this team be as awesome as they were on thier super bowl runs? maybe not the lost of romeo will be missed more than the FA losses but not enough to knock them down that much. a top ten defense will not be hard to for this defense to attain. just remember thier 2nd stringers played a lot last year due to several stars getting hurt and they still managed to be a no. 9 defense as you say.
    those former 2nd string players will have gotten the experience and be ready to come in and handle their responsibilties.
    Nice answer. I still would not put them in the top 10, but you made some good points.
    In no way are they going to be a bad defense.

-----

how can being too deep in LB's with great DB's be a bad thing? and they are running a 46 defense too? wasn't boulware hurt a lot? i don't know if he will be missed as much as hartwell.

I didn't say they are TOO depp in LB's, I said they are TWO deep (Suggs and Lewis), the rest is garbage. The 46 worked because of great talent for Buddy Ryan and it's weakness' were exploited and nobody uses it, a lot like the Run and Shoot on offense.