• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • topscribe
    RIP BFC, D-Will, Damien
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Jrhampton
    YEP!
    I agree from what I have seen and heard. Perhaps hanging on to the ball fits in here also. Heard he has coughed it up a few times in practice. Seems to be tentative . Because I did not see the game, nor have I read much about it I really don't know if that area has been fixed.
    Tater didn't get much of an opportunity to catch a pass. He did badly miss two blocks, one that resulted in a blocked punt. However, Shanny said the guy who blocked the punt has a habit of doing that and is one of the best ST players in the league, so that kind of player will beat you on occasion. Still, I believe Bell needs to improve dramatically in blocking if he expects to overtake MA for the starting position.

I could be wrong, but that is my take.

------

Comment

• Jrhampton
      Banned User
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by topscribe
      Tater didn't get much of an opportunity to catch a pass. He did badly miss two blocks, one that resulted in a blocked punt. However, Shanny said the guy who blocked the punt has a habit of doing that and is one of the best ST players in the league, so that kind of player will beat you on occasion. Still, I believe Bell needs to improve dramatically in blocking if he expects to overtake MA for the starting position.

I could be wrong, but that is my take.

------

Why would they have that speed, blocking in the back field? Seems like a waste of talent to me. Get him out in the gunner position get him down field covering punts.

That makes sense to me!

Comment

• topscribe
        RIP BFC, D-Will, Damien
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Jrhampton
        Why would they have that speed, blocking in the back field? Seems like a waste of talent to me. Get him out in the gunner position get him down field covering punts.

That makes sense to me!
        Well, the running back's responsibilities do not just comprise blocking, of course. They have to run, too. It's just that there are plays where the RB is expected to block, and at that time he had better do it. I remember back when Otis Armstrong sat on the bench in favor of inferior (to him) runners because he had such a hard time blocking. The same will happen to Tater unless he works his butt off to improve that facet of his game.

At that point, yes, make him useful, even if it is on STs.

-----

Comment

• 24zone
          Practice Squad
          • Jul 2003

Tatum

I think he needs to prove he can hold on to the ball and run tough inside...even before talking about blocking...but agreed, he needs work there as well.
          I think Shanny may run more double tight forms, and going with a single back makes sense with MA.
          [email protected]
          Velocity Sports Performance
          Dublin, CA

Comment

• DAYNETRAYNE
            Practice Squad
            • Aug 2005

maybe

Originally posted by 24zone
            I think he needs to prove he can hold on to the ball and run tough inside...even before talking about blocking...but agreed, he needs work there as well.
            I think Shanny may run more double tight forms, and going with a single back makes sense with MA.
            listen all these guys are great backs(dayne ,ma, bell)tey all are gonna get playing time during the season. put i truly believe dayne will get the majority of the carries, because he will punish defenders and they will get tired of tackling him and he will eventually wear them down.

big ups to snk16.

Comment

• NJBRONCOSFAN
              26-Time World Champs
              • Mar 2004

Ron Dayne has looked like a stud every preseason.

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

• DAYNETRAYNE
                Practice Squad
                • Aug 2005

yea he has........

Originally posted by NJBRONCOSFAN
                Ron Dayne has looked like a stud every preseason.
                yes ron dayne has look like a stud every season, and it has been agaist the 1st teamers,whille he was with the giants.when it came to the regular season he was the opening day starter,scored a touchdown vs. the eagles last year, but his carries declined...............why? the schemewasnt built for him but he still could have got the job done in NY, but he was never given a fair shot....

big ups to snk16.

Comment

• NJBRONCOSFAN
                  26-Time World Champs
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DAYNETRAYNE
                  yes ron dayne has look like a stud every season, and it has been agaist the 1st teamers,whille he was with the giants.when it came to the regular season he was the opening day starter,scored a touchdown vs. the eagles last year, but his carries declined...............why? the schemewasnt built for him but he still could have got the job done in NY, but he was never given a fair shot....
                  About 600 carries says he did get a shot in NY...too bad he couldn't muster up anything better than a 3.5 average per carry.
                  He wasn't the opening day starter by any stretch....he had about 45 yards on 13 carries in that first game, while tiki had over 100 on 9 carries.
                  The following week he had 9 carries for 12 yards...the week after that 9 for 36 yards....if he showed that sort of production in the first three games with the broncos and we stopped using him, would you say he didn't get a fair shot?

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

• mrsolo
                    Bench Warmer
                    • Feb 2004

About 600 carries says he did get a shot in NY...too bad he couldn't muster up anything better than a 3.5 average per carry.
                    He wasn't the opening day starter by any stretch....he had about 45 yards on 13 carries in that first game, while tiki had over 100 on 9 carries.
                    The following week he had 9 carries for 12 yards...the week after that 9 for 36 yards....if he showed that sort of production in the first three games with the broncos and we stopped using him, would you say he didn't get a fair shot?
                    LOL
                    I'm Sooner born and Sooner bred and when I die, I'll be Sooner dead.

Nebraska's new quarter with the Sooner Schooner running right over the state of Nebraska. A sign of things to come? =)

Comment

• DAYNETRAYNE
                      Practice Squad
                      • Aug 2005

he didnt

as u can see his carries declined. give this man the ball and he will produce. also the ny running scheme is not the way denver's is run....trust me he will put all doubters to rest this season. cause the denver running game mirrors the same sheme he ran for 7000+ in WISC.....he needs carries and he will punish defenders and wear the defense down......and he was the opening day starter against philly, last year....

big ups to snk16.

Comment

• Peerless
                        Football Immortal
                        • May 2004

How was ron dayne starting ahead of pro-bowler tiki barber?
                        As far as punishing defenders, maybe he did in college, but he never has in the nfl.
                        The question is, why did the Giants waist a talent pick when they had Tiki.

Comment

• DAYNETRAYNE
                          Practice Squad
                          • Aug 2005

yes...

How was ron dayne starting ahead of pro-bowler tiki barber?
                          As far as punishing defenders, maybe he did in college, but he never has in the nfl.
                          yes dayne started the first game of the reg.season last year. tom coughlin started him game 1 vs. philly....after that tiki went on and started the rest of the season,b/c he fitted the running stlye the giants have, cutbacks and screens.......i said if u give dayne the ball 20-25 game he will punish defenders and wear them down, yes in the nfl, but u have to feed him the ball.

big ups to snk16.

Comment

• HaroldWoods41SS
                            Practice Squad
                            • Nov 2004

any one else get this sick feeling that ron dayne will be the starting back by the end of the year?????????????????

thanx to TMHG

Atwater makes the hit
                            Woodson makes the pick
                            Lott takes it back

All for respect this is how the game should be played

Comment

• DAYNETRAYNE
                              Practice Squad
                              • Aug 2005

i do....

Originally posted by HaroldWoods41SS
                              any one else get this sick feeling that ron dayne will be the starting back by the end of the year?????????????????
                              i got the feeling as well,he will be the man in denver. nottaking anything away from MA or Bell, but dayne seems to be the best fit. but ovarall they all compliment each other well, whosever in there, the running game will be unstoppable.

big ups to snk16.

Comment

• Cugel
                                Rantosaurus Rex!
                                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by topscribe
                                That's what happens when people get onto a given player's bandwagon before camp even begins, and without reading up on the respective players in the readily available media.

-----
                                You're right about that! I predicted over the winter that Mike Anderson would compete for the starting job and might win it, and was told that he would be cut/traded by June!

You don't hear any of those people talking now!

Ron Dayne will be the #3 back and if there are injuries he'll have the chance to move up, maybe even start. Shanahan just said that "you can't have too many good backs" again today (citing Rueben Droghns move off of FB to starting TB).

I would think the Broncos will keep 5 RBs as they did last year, but with Cecil Sapp moving to FB I don't know how that plays out, since he could switch back to TB in an emergency.

I would like to see them cut Clarett and keep Todd Devoe instead at WR. Clarett looked to be headed to IR, but made a quick recovery from injury once he saw he was headed for the waiver wire and now he's going to play in the final game.

That won't be enough to win a spot on the roster unless he just cuts loose for about 100+ yards and a couple of TDs or something, which I doubt. Maybe Shanahan will take a chance of cutting him and then re-signing him to the practice squad. At this point, I doubt any other team would be so eagar to sign him. They can read about his injury and attitude problems as well as the next guy so I think now that he'll clear waivers. If not, well. . . so what? What's he shown so far to make anyone think he'll be great anyway?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X