Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Results 76 to 90 of 90
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    13,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrhampton
    YEP!
    I agree from what I have seen and heard. Perhaps hanging on to the ball fits in here also. Heard he has coughed it up a few times in practice. Seems to be tentative . Because I did not see the game, nor have I read much about it I really don't know if that area has been fixed.
    Tater didn't get much of an opportunity to catch a pass. He did badly miss two blocks, one that resulted in a blocked punt. However, Shanny said the guy who blocked the punt has a habit of doing that and is one of the best ST players in the league, so that kind of player will beat you on occasion. Still, I believe Bell needs to improve dramatically in blocking if he expects to overtake MA for the starting position.

    I could be wrong, but that is my take.

    ------

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,462
    Quote Originally Posted by topscribe
    Tater didn't get much of an opportunity to catch a pass. He did badly miss two blocks, one that resulted in a blocked punt. However, Shanny said the guy who blocked the punt has a habit of doing that and is one of the best ST players in the league, so that kind of player will beat you on occasion. Still, I believe Bell needs to improve dramatically in blocking if he expects to overtake MA for the starting position.

    I could be wrong, but that is my take.

    ------

    Why would they have that speed, blocking in the back field? Seems like a waste of talent to me. Get him out in the gunner position get him down field covering punts.

    That makes sense to me!

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    13,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrhampton
    Why would they have that speed, blocking in the back field? Seems like a waste of talent to me. Get him out in the gunner position get him down field covering punts.

    That makes sense to me!
    Well, the running back's responsibilities do not just comprise blocking, of course. They have to run, too. It's just that there are plays where the RB is expected to block, and at that time he had better do it. I remember back when Otis Armstrong sat on the bench in favor of inferior (to him) runners because he had such a hard time blocking. The same will happen to Tater unless he works his butt off to improve that facet of his game.

    At that point, yes, make him useful, even if it is on STs.

    -----

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    60

    Tatum

    I think he needs to prove he can hold on to the ball and run tough inside...even before talking about blocking...but agreed, he needs work there as well.
    I think Shanny may run more double tight forms, and going with a single back makes sense with MA.
    al2@hotmail.com
    Velocity Sports Performance
    Dublin, CA

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Long Branch
    Posts
    809

    maybe

    Quote Originally Posted by 24zone
    I think he needs to prove he can hold on to the ball and run tough inside...even before talking about blocking...but agreed, he needs work there as well.
    I think Shanny may run more double tight forms, and going with a single back makes sense with MA.
    listen all these guys are great backs(dayne ,ma, bell)tey all are gonna get playing time during the season. put i truly believe dayne will get the majority of the carries, because he will punish defenders and they will get tired of tackling him and he will eventually wear them down.

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    12,326
    Ron Dayne has looked like a stud every preseason.
    http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...e310/gagne.jpg
    "The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Long Branch
    Posts
    809

    yea he has........

    Quote Originally Posted by NJBRONCOSFAN
    Ron Dayne has looked like a stud every preseason.
    yes ron dayne has look like a stud every season, and it has been agaist the 1st teamers,whille he was with the giants.when it came to the regular season he was the opening day starter,scored a touchdown vs. the eagles last year, but his carries declined...............why? the schemewasnt built for him but he still could have got the job done in NY, but he was never given a fair shot....

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    12,326
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYNETRAYNE
    yes ron dayne has look like a stud every season, and it has been agaist the 1st teamers,whille he was with the giants.when it came to the regular season he was the opening day starter,scored a touchdown vs. the eagles last year, but his carries declined...............why? the schemewasnt built for him but he still could have got the job done in NY, but he was never given a fair shot....
    About 600 carries says he did get a shot in NY...too bad he couldn't muster up anything better than a 3.5 average per carry.
    He wasn't the opening day starter by any stretch....he had about 45 yards on 13 carries in that first game, while tiki had over 100 on 9 carries.
    The following week he had 9 carries for 12 yards...the week after that 9 for 36 yards....if he showed that sort of production in the first three games with the broncos and we stopped using him, would you say he didn't get a fair shot?
    http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...e310/gagne.jpg
    "The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bixby, OK
    Posts
    761
    Quote Originally Posted by NJBRONCOSFAN
    About 600 carries says he did get a shot in NY...too bad he couldn't muster up anything better than a 3.5 average per carry.
    He wasn't the opening day starter by any stretch....he had about 45 yards on 13 carries in that first game, while tiki had over 100 on 9 carries.
    The following week he had 9 carries for 12 yards...the week after that 9 for 36 yards....if he showed that sort of production in the first three games with the broncos and we stopped using him, would you say he didn't get a fair shot?
    LOL
    I'm Sooner born and Sooner bred and when I die, I'll be Sooner dead.

    http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/38/382629.jpg


    Congratulations Oklahoma Sooners - 2006 Big 12 Champions!!!!!

    http://www.usmint.gov/images/mint_pr.../NE_winner.gif
    Nebraska's new quarter with the Sooner Schooner running right over the state of Nebraska. A sign of things to come? =)

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Long Branch
    Posts
    809

    he didnt

    Quote Originally Posted by NJBRONCOSFAN
    About 600 carries says he did get a shot in NY...too bad he couldn't muster up anything better than a 3.5 average per carry.
    He wasn't the opening day starter by any stretch....he had about 45 yards on 13 carries in that first game, while tiki had over 100 on 9 carries.
    The following week he had 9 carries for 12 yards...the week after that 9 for 36 yards....if he showed that sort of production in the first three games with the broncos and we stopped using him, would you say he didn't get a fair shot?
    as u can see his carries declined. give this man the ball and he will produce. also the ny running scheme is not the way denver's is run....trust me he will put all doubters to rest this season. cause the denver running game mirrors the same sheme he ran for 7000+ in WISC.....he needs carries and he will punish defenders and wear the defense down......and he was the opening day starter against philly, last year....

  11. #86
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Madison,WI
    Posts
    18,859
    Quote Originally Posted by NJBRONCOSFAN
    How was ron dayne starting ahead of pro-bowler tiki barber?
    As far as punishing defenders, maybe he did in college, but he never has in the nfl.
    The question is, why did the Giants waist a talent pick when they had Tiki.

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Long Branch
    Posts
    809

    yes...

    Quote Originally Posted by NJBRONCOSFAN
    How was ron dayne starting ahead of pro-bowler tiki barber?
    As far as punishing defenders, maybe he did in college, but he never has in the nfl.
    yes dayne started the first game of the reg.season last year. tom coughlin started him game 1 vs. philly....after that tiki went on and started the rest of the season,b/c he fitted the running stlye the giants have, cutbacks and screens.......i said if u give dayne the ball 20-25 game he will punish defenders and wear them down, yes in the nfl, but u have to feed him the ball.

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Some where in SC
    Posts
    495
    any one else get this sick feeling that ron dayne will be the starting back by the end of the year?????????????????
    [IMG]http://img202.echo.cx/img202/3716/harold7rt.gif[/IMG]
    [SIZE=1]thanx to TMHG[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=Red]
    Atwater makes the hit
    Woodson makes the pick
    Lott takes it back[/COLOR][/SIZE]

    All for respect this is how the game should be played

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Long Branch
    Posts
    809

    i do....

    Quote Originally Posted by HaroldWoods41SS
    any one else get this sick feeling that ron dayne will be the starting back by the end of the year?????????????????
    i got the feeling as well,he will be the man in denver. nottaking anything away from MA or Bell, but dayne seems to be the best fit. but ovarall they all compliment each other well, whosever in there, the running game will be unstoppable.

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,758
    Quote Originally Posted by topscribe
    That's what happens when people get onto a given player's bandwagon before camp even begins, and without reading up on the respective players in the readily available media.

    -----
    You're right about that! I predicted over the winter that Mike Anderson would compete for the starting job and might win it, and was told that he would be cut/traded by June!

    You don't hear any of those people talking now!

    Ron Dayne will be the #3 back and if there are injuries he'll have the chance to move up, maybe even start. Shanahan just said that "you can't have too many good backs" again today (citing Rueben Droghns move off of FB to starting TB).

    I would think the Broncos will keep 5 RBs as they did last year, but with Cecil Sapp moving to FB I don't know how that plays out, since he could switch back to TB in an emergency.

    I would like to see them cut Clarett and keep Todd Devoe instead at WR. Clarett looked to be headed to IR, but made a quick recovery from injury once he saw he was headed for the waiver wire and now he's going to play in the final game.

    That won't be enough to win a spot on the roster unless he just cuts loose for about 100+ yards and a couple of TDs or something, which I doubt. Maybe Shanahan will take a chance of cutting him and then re-signing him to the practice squad. At this point, I doubt any other team would be so eagar to sign him. They can read about his injury and attitude problems as well as the next guy so I think now that he'll clear waivers. If not, well. . . so what? What's he shown so far to make anyone think he'll be great anyway?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •