• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mat'hir Uth Gan
    Banned User
    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by DistilledFun
    jr your kidding right? pryce is widely considered a pro bowler and he and al wilson were the bright spot on our team before the new D had been a point of emphasis with shanny. ie 99-02 in 03 it was double team pryce all time and in 04 he was hurt. in 05 look for pryce to goto the probowl and in doing so making the browncos look real good.

Pryce stopped being double-teamed awhile ago. Also, what kind of excuse is that anyway? Micheal Strahan gets doubleteamed, he still puts up 70+ tackles and 15+ sacks a season from Strongside End. Pryce was getting paid more then he was.

Pryce contributes on average 40 tackles, 7 sacks. And he makes a ridiculous amount of money for such marginal production.

JR is absolutely right in his critique of Pryce. And Pryce has not deserved to go to the Pro Bowl since 1999.

Comment

• Jrhampton
      Banned User
      • Mar 2004

jr your kidding right? pryce is widely considered a pro bowler and he and al wilson were the bright spot on our team before the new D had been a point of emphasis with shanny. ie 99-02 in 03 it was double team pryce all time and in 04 he was hurt. in 05 look for pryce to goto the probowl and in doing so making the browncos look real good.

NOT at all his performance after the big contract renewal sucked. as shown below.
      Code:
      Statistics 
      Year Team   G GS   Int  DTD  STY SACK TACKLE  
      2004 DEN     2 1      0     0      0     0       1 
      2003 DEN 16 16      0     0      0    8.5   28
      2002 DEN 16 16      0     0      0      9    40
      2001 DEN 16 16      0     0      0      7    33 
      2000 DEN 16 16      0     1      0    12    33 
      1999 DEN 15 15      1     0      1    13    33 
      1998 DEN 16 15      1     0      0    8.5   30 
      1997 DEN   8   3      0     0      0       2   16
      9 Season 105 98     2     1      1    60  214
      Dramatic drop off in production after the contract and his start up business of being a recording mogul.

Only after being singled out by both Rod and Mikey did he decide to do something about earning his $9,000,000.00 per year contract. He rededicated himself to football going into the 2004 season. Dropped fat and became leaner only to have back surgery.

Did you think he earned his salary the last couple of years?

Comment

• DistilledFun
        Practice Squad
        • Mar 2004

good use of stats but i would like to know how often he was facing double teams. also could the move from dt to de have effected his play to show for the drop off. in 9 years (one year injured so basicaly 8years) 60 sacks isnt terrible but you can see that there was a drop off. on a dline who wasnt good at getting pressure from any postition pryce has been the dominate force. lets hope he picks it back up in 05 and gets 15 sacks and 60 tackles.
        No matter what, I win.

Comment

• Jrhampton
          Banned User
          • Mar 2004

good use of stats but i would like to know how often he was facing double teams. also could the move from dt to de have effected his play to show for the drop off. in 9 years (one year injured so basicaly 8years) 60 sacks isnt terrible but you can see that there was a drop off. on a dline who wasnt good at getting pressure from any postition pryce has been the dominate force. lets hope he picks it back up in 05 and gets 15 sacks and 60 tackles.
          I jnowthat during that frame he was doubled, But to have the team tleader and HC call you out for not produce they are seeing the lack of focus and production.

Simply put he was not producing what his level of compensation demanded. I remember reading several articles about his love for music and his recording company I would think perhaps his focus was not on the field but in the studio.

With the the talent around him no excuses this year. NO more phoning it in on sundays.

Comment

• rcsodak
            Step UP, or Step OFF!
            • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Jrhampton
            I jnowthat during that frame he was doubled, But to have the team tleader and HC call you out for not produce they are seeing the lack of focus and production.

Simply put he was not producing what his level of compensation demanded. I remember reading several articles about his love for music and his recording company I would think perhaps his focus was not on the field but in the studio.

With the the talent around him no excuses this year. NO more phoning it in on sundays.
            Not to mention the fact that Pryce HIMSELF elluded to his past play as not being good enough for what he was getting paid!

THAT, in itself, should ring thunderously loud, in broncomania.....
            "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
            tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
            men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

• Peerless
              Football Immortal
              • May 2004

Pryce makes other players better, which is just as good.

Comment

• Cugel
                Rantosaurus Rex!
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
                Pryce stopped being double-teamed awhile ago. Also, what kind of excuse is that anyway? Micheal Strahan gets doubleteamed, he still puts up 70+ tackles and 15+ sacks a season from Strongside End. Pryce was getting paid more then he was.

Pryce contributes on average 40 tackles, 7 sacks. And he makes a ridiculous amount of money for such marginal production.

JR is absolutely right in his critique of Pryce. And Pryce has not deserved to go to the Pro Bowl since 1999.
                I've quoted this before but it's worth repeating. Here's what Michael Strahan thinks about Trevor Pryce:

He creates havoc among the offensive line because sometimes you need two guys to block him and it frees up other guys on the line twists and things like that," said John Tait, the former Kansas City Chiefs right tackle who signed with the Chicago Bears during the off-season.

"They're the ones who'll sometimes get the sack or the pressure on the quarterback, where Trevor is really the guy who probably caused it in the first place."

"It always starts with their front four, and Trevor's the guy who really shines," Tait said. "They've got some good athletes and good players there. But Trevor was always the guy that, when you went over the team and the scouting report, he was highlighted as the guy that needed to be taken care of and needed to account for, then everything else goes from there."

League officials apparently concur. In a poll of 22 pro personnel directors conducted this spring by USA Today's Sports Weekly, only Michael Strahan, Jason Taylor, Simeon Rice and Jevon Kearse were ranked higher among defensive ends. The publication's scouts rated Pryce third, behind only Strahan and Taylor.

"I don't think he gets the amount of publicity that he should get," Michael Strahan said. "He's one of the hidden-gem linemen in the business. And if there's somebody you'd want somebody to model their game after, it would be a guy like him. He plays the run and the pass and can get it done as a tackle or an end."

Pryce's 58 sacks are fifth-most in the league since he became a full-time player in 1998. He trails only Strahan (82), Rice (75.5), Taylor (66) and Jason Gildon (60) during that period.

But unlike those other four players, Pryce has gotten most of his sacks (40.5) as a defensive tackle. The Broncos played him mainly at the strong-side end last season while often shifting him inside in obvious passing situations to provide a push up the middle.

"He rarely gets a chance to play one-on-one with anybody no matter where they move him on the field," said Strahan, who has studied Pryce on tape but hasn't met him. "And I always tell people it's very easy to be a player out there on the field, one of 11, but whenever you're one of that 11 and everybody's focusing on you every play, every down, and you can still make it happen? Then that's the mark of a great player. And that's what Trevor is in the way he plays."
                This is worth mentioning because John Tait is a lineman who has had to go against Pryce on an ongoing basis, and should be able to evaluate his skill level, while Strahan has been the best pass-rushing end in the NFL of the past 10 years. If he says that Pryce is someone to model your technique after that's saying something.

Who knows whether Pryce will be able play at a pro-bowl level after his back injury, the jury is still out on that one.

But I wouldn't rule it out at this point.
                sigpic

Comment

• Jack Luminous

Pryce

Originally posted by Cugel
                  I've quoted this before but it's worth repeating. Here's what Michael Strahan thinks about Trevor Pryce:

This is worth mentioning because John Tait is a lineman who has had to go against Pryce on an ongoing basis, and should be able to evaluate his skill level, while Strahan has been the best pass-rushing end in the NFL of the past 10 years. If he says that Pryce is someone to model your technique after that's saying something.

Who knows whether Pryce will be able play at a pro-bowl level after his back injury, the jury is still out on that one.

But I wouldn't rule it out at this point.

The idea that T Pryce has a back injury is a mis-nomer (sp?)....he said hinmself, yesterday on this site that his issue was never pain in the back, it was the weakening of the leg brought about by a damaged nerve. He has had to work hard to get that strength back, but says he has done that.

I look for T Pryce to have a very good season this year...

Comment

• Peerless
                    Football Immortal
                    • May 2004

Pryce, like many other bronco players is underrated in the leauge. You look at what he did as a DT..... a DT (40.5 sacks). People don't realize that 40.5 sacks as a DT is superb. With TP at the LE, we know he'll get doubled. But that extra man leaves another player open for the strike, and unfortunately the people with more sacks make the pro bowl then the people who create the sacks.

Comment

• Return of Lava
                      2-Time #1 Career Poster
                      • Jul 2003

Dorsett will make the team. He is THE best goalline lineman we have.
                      dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

• BroncoRT
                        Special Teams
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Return of Lava
                        Dorsett will make the team. He is THE best goalline lineman we have.
                        I am hoping we have Dorsett make the team along with Ellis, Warren and Myers. We will be pretty solid up the middle.
                        The three Keys to football
                        1. Turnovers
                        2. Field Position
                        3. Red Zone Play

Comment

Working...
                        X