• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sportswrath
    Practice Squad
    • Aug 2005

Ron Dayne....

You guys think he got a bad rep in NY? I mean, was he under-used in NY?
    He's looked ok so far. Maybe a change of teams will do him some good?
  • broncosfan247
    Bench Warmer
    • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Sportswrath
    You guys think he got a bad rep in NY? I mean, was he under-used in NY?
    He's looked ok so far. Maybe a change of teams will do him some good?
    this guy is gonna have to run for 2000 yards and 20 TD's before alot of Denver fans will hop on his bandwagon. I didn't expect much out of him at first, but he's definitely showing us some stuff and quieting alot of the nah-sayers.

Comment

• DAYNETRAYNE
      Practice Squad
      • Aug 2005

no he is not.....

Originally posted by broncosfan247
      this guy is gonna have to run for 2000 yards and 20 TD's before alot of Denver fans will hop on his bandwagon. I didn't expect much out of him at first, but he's definitely showing us some stuff and quieting alot of the nah-sayers.
      of course we had a bad rep in ny. but ny messed that up they never gave him the carries he needed c'mon u really think tiki can wear down a defense. i dont know why they drafted him and didnt use him. he was never hurt, or overweight. he just never had a shot..i mean how do u draft a heisman trophy winner and dont play him, u must got a silly coach.(jim fassel)....dayne will put a lot of doubters to rest during his tenure in denver, all he needs to do is rush for 1000-1500, and they will love him like every other rb that has been in denver.....he's a bruiser, give him the carries and teams will get tired of tackling this guy. he 'll be like a drug.

big ups to snk16.

Comment

• broncofan27
        Practice Squad
        • Aug 2005

I'll tell ya I didn't quite understand the signing of him at first. But as the preseason has gone on I like it more and more. Honestly though I would really like to see Mike Anderson as the starting back. To me it just seems everytime this man touches the ball something good happens and I love to see those backs that can just run defenders over and then we can counter with the speedy bell and then it becomes a nasty two headed monster
        I will be a Denver Bronco for life. Nothing else matters.

Comment

• NJBRONCOSFAN
          26-Time World Champs
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DAYNETRAYNE
          of course we had a bad rep in ny. but ny messed that up they never gave him the carries he needed c'mon u really think tiki can wear down a defense. i dont know why they drafted him and didnt use him. he was never hurt, or overweight. he just never had a shot..i mean how do u draft a heisman trophy winner and dont play him, u must got a silly coach.(jim fassel)....dayne will put a lot of doubters to rest during his tenure in denver, all he needs to do is rush for 1000-1500, and they will love him like every other rb that has been in denver.....he's a bruiser, give him the carries and teams will get tired of tackling this guy. he 'll be like a drug.
          Dayne had about 600 carries as a giant for a 3.5 average...i'd say he had a shot.
          Meanwhile, Tiki Barber thrived.

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

• Adrenaline
            Starter
            • Feb 2005

I've heard good things about Dayne this preseason. I'm more high on Mike Anderson this year, his hard work will pay off. If Dayne can keep up decent play in some regular season snaps then I will be impressed.

Anyone know whats going on with Q? Why hasn't he played a preseason game. Or has he?

Comment

• towels
              Practice Squad
              • Jun 2003

It also sounds like Dayne came into camp in better shape this year than he has in the past. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt so far.

That being said, I'd rather have a back get a 3.5 ypc average from alternating 3 and 4 yard carries than a back who has one 15 yard run and a bunch of 1 and 2 yarders. (Which is what it looked like Dayne was starting with in Houston- maybe he just needed to wear them down.)

They've been holding Q back to give him more time to rehab from his knee surgery. Remember, he got hurt partway through the year. He should see some action this Saturday.
              Last edited by towels; 08-23-2005, 08:52 AM.

Comment

• Sportswrath
                Practice Squad
                • Aug 2005

Well he's on the right team to kick start he carrer. I just hope he doesn;t blow this second chance.

Thanks for you input.

Comment

• rcsodak
                  Step UP, or Step OFF!
                  • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Adrenaline
                  I've heard good things about Dayne this preseason. I'm more high on Mike Anderson this year, his hard work will pay off. If Dayne can keep up decent play in some regular season snaps then I will be impressed.

Anyone know whats going on with Q? Why hasn't he played a preseason game. Or has he?
                  They've been planning all along to play him in the last two preseason games, so as to give his knee some extra time to heal up.

If he looks good this week in practice, we'll see alot of him this weekend.
                  "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                  tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                  men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

• 24zone
                    Practice Squad
                    • Jul 2003

Rd

He was in a running scheme in NY that didn't fit him, and he probably was frustrated, which never really got him on track for that offense.
                    The zone blocking running game, what he ran at Wisc, is what Denver runs, and runs very well. It allows him to eliminate alot of juking, and spinning, and other skills, and focuses on one cut and upfield. If you block it right, and the back makes the reads, and hits it hard, you will get 4,5yds a pop every play. He is just now getting the rythym and timing down, as you saw in the SF Game, he tip toed a little, which prevented the longer gains, but he still gained about 6yds a pop!
                    Look for him to break some longer runs when he hits the hole hard....
                    [email protected]
                    Velocity Sports Performance
                    Dublin, CA

Comment

• Hoss
                      Bench Warmer
                      • Sep 2003

well, i just don't know what to say about our running backs. anderson looks pretty good...as he usually does. but i've been extremely impressed with ron dayne. i do think he was underused in NY. someone on this thread said he gained 600 yards with a 3.4 yard average while in NY and he called that getting a shot. hahahaa. his action in NY was very very limited and it's unfortunate for him that tiki thrived. but their loss is our gain and dayne is now in a system more like the one he ran in college. he looks good this preseason and i would love to see what he could do with 20+ carries a game! i truely believe that if he starts he would thrive more than any other back we have.

from what i've seen of dayne he's got that ability to run people over like droughns did for us last year with a burst of speed to top it off. i like what i see.

Comment

• Momentum
                        Banned User
                        • Jun 2005

Ron Dayne is the best back on our roster for this system.

I am never repeating this, or admitting to it again either...

Comment

• dayne for gain
                          Banned User
                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Momentum
                          Ron Dayne is the best back on our roster for this system.

I am never repeating this, or admitting to it again either...

dayne, is the type of back that has to carry the load at least 15 to 20 times a game to be effective. if you give him just a few carrys per game i don't believe he will show that much. i seen many,many games at madison, where he just got better as the game rolled on.
                          i think you will be very happy with his play at denver.

Comment

• Peerless
                            Football Immortal
                            • May 2004

Originally posted by dayne for gain
                            dayne, is the type of back that has to carry the load at least 15 to 20 times a game to be effective. if you give him just a few carrys per game i don't believe he will show that much. i seen many,many games at madison, where he just got better as the game rolled on.
                            i think you will be very happy with his play at denver.
                            Exactly, that's what I've said. You have to play him, the longer he's in, the better running.

Comment

• mrsolo
                              Bench Warmer
                              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Hoss
                              well, i just don't know what to say about our running backs. anderson looks pretty good...as he usually does. but i've been extremely impressed with ron dayne. i do think he was underused in NY. someone on this thread said he gained 600 yards with a 3.4 yard average while in NY and he called that getting a shot. hahahaa. his action in NY was very very limited and it's unfortunate for him that tiki thrived. but their loss is our gain and dayne is now in a system more like the one he ran in college. he looks good this preseason and i would love to see what he could do with 20+ carries a game! i truely believe that if he starts he would thrive more than any other back we have.

from what i've seen of dayne he's got that ability to run people over like droughns did for us last year with a burst of speed to top it off. i like what i see.
                              Not yards....CARRIES. He had 585 carries at NY for 2067 yards...with a 3.4 ypc average.

Year Team G GS Att Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ FD
                              2000 New York Giants 16 4 228 770 3.4 50 5 2 47
                              2001 New York Giants 16 7 180 690 3.8 61 7 4 38
                              2002 New York Giants 16 1 125 428 3.4 30 3 1 26
                              2003 New York Giants 0 0 0 0 --- 0 0 0 0
                              2004 New York Giants 14 2 52 179 3.4 15 1 0 10
                              TOTAL 62 14 585 2067 3.5 61 16 7 121

Tiki's stats during the same time period

2000 New York Giants 16 12 213 1006 4.7 78 8 9 38
                              2001 New York Giants 14 9 166 865 5.2 36 4 8 40
                              2002 New York Giants 16 15 304 1387 4.6 70 11 12 67
                              2003 New York Giants 16 16 278 1216 4.4 27 2 4 66
                              2004 New York Giants 16 14 322 1518 4.7 72 13 11 77

Looks like their carries were about the sames....with the edge going to Dayne the first couple of years....but Tiki just outplayed him, resulting in Tiki getting more carries.

He never averaged more than 3.8 for a season, where Tiki averaged at least 4.4.
                              I'm Sooner born and Sooner bred and when I die, I'll be Sooner dead.

Nebraska's new quarter with the Sooner Schooner running right over the state of Nebraska. A sign of things to come? =)

Comment

Working...
                              X