• Show
Clear All
  • dsplcedbrncofan
    Practice Squad
    • Oct 2003

Clarett to be released

Agent: Clarett will be released by Broncos

NFL.com wire reports

DENVER (Aug. 28, 2005) -- Maurice Clarett 's first stab at the NFL will end the same way his last two seasons on the sideline did: no carries, no yards, one big disappointment.

Unable to practice much or play at all during the preseason, Clarett will be released by the Denver Broncos later this week, his agent said.

"The kid called me and let me know they're going to let him go," Feldman said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press.

Clarett's pending release also was reported by ESPN.com.

Broncos spokesman Jim Saccomano said the team didn't plan to release anybody until Aug. 30, which is the deadline for NFL teams to cut rosters to 65 players. The Broncos were off Aug. 28 and scheduled to practice the next day.

The pending release marks a disappointing start to the NFL career of the troubled former Ohio State running back, who missed two years of football after leading the Buckeyes to the national title in 2002.

He got in trouble with the law and was suspended for the 2003 season. At that point, he hadn't been out of high school long enough to be eligible for the NFL draft, so he sued in federal court to become eligible and eventually lost that case.

While sitting out the 2004 season, Clarett turned on Ohio State, alleging coach Jim Tressel arranged for him to get passing grades, cars and money for bogus summer jobs. An NCAA investigation failed to verify any of Clarett's accusations.

He was a bust at the NFL scouting combine and most thought he would be a low draft pick, if a draft pick at all. The Broncos, who have a history of producing great runners from deep in the draft, surprised many by picking him in the third round.

At the time, coach Mike Shanahan said Clarett's sordid past didn't bother him.

"First of all, I think you don't get too caught up in that," Shanahan said. "I know the situation, what's happened. His slate is clean and we're giving him an opportunity."

Clarett made the unusual move of agreeing to a contract that included no signing bonus. He relinquished what would have been about a bonus in exchange for incentives that could have earned him up to $7 million over four years.

If a team claims him off waivers, it will assume the terms of the contract. More likely is that Clarett will clear waivers, become a free agent and sign a new deal.

"I'd love to see someone pick up the contract," Feldman said. "The way the incentives in the contract are, he won't get them with another team."

Clarett came to Denver and said he simply wanted to start over and blend in. He talked a good game, but his chances of making the team were hurt early in training camp when he injured his groin and missed nearly two weeks of practice.

Some teammates questioned Clarett's commitment to rehabilitating the groin and as the missed practices piled up, Shanahan stopped defending Clarett to the media.

Clarett stopped talking to reporters. In one of his last interviews, he told the Denver Post he wanted to be with the Broncos, but "if I get cut, if I don't have a place here, it won't be my first setback."

Clarett was listed fifth on the depth chart behind Mike Anderson, Tatum Bell, Quentin Griffin and Ron Dayne, who is having a good camp. Shanahan did not play Clarett in any of Denver's three preseason games.

"I think at this point, I'm sure the Broncos did what they thought they needed to do," Feldman said.

Asked if his client was completely healthy, the agent said, "I'm certain he is."

As for the future: "I'm not real confident of anything at this point," Feldman said. "We'll see what happens now."

KICKERS : THE UNSUNG HEREOS OF THE GAME!!
    sig.by Snk16
  • Tatum26Bell
    Admin
    • Jan 2005

Of course he deserves to be cut, but I do feel bad for him.

Also, I'm kind of worrying that some other team will pick him up, and he'll turn into a star.....
    Administrator

sigpic

Comment

• RBDynasty
      Special Teams
      • Sep 2004

The guy brought it upon himself. What a loser...
      The new website is about as ugly as Paris Hilton. Put the blue back!

Comment

• N.O. saints
        Practice Squad
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Tatum26Bell
        Of course he deserves to be cut, but I do feel bad for him.

Also, I'm kind of worrying that some other team will pick him up, and he'll turn into a star.....

He will get pick up quicker than you think

Comment

• Momentum
          Banned User
          • Jun 2005

That's it. Im done with Shannahan.

Comment

• thesaint
            Bench Warmer
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by N.O. saints
            He will get pick up quicker than you think
            Yes he will... but not by who you think....

MAJ.com - Management of Assets and Joint Ventures. To bring ideas to Life. We provides Real Estate Funding, Startup Funding, Working Capital, Business Line of Credit, Equipment Funding, SBA and Long Term Business Funding, Personal Loans and Credit Repairs. Apply for Loans Today. For inquiry, send an email to Support @MAJ.com or apply online.

Quick: I haven't had my ass whipped in a while. Probably been since like...1911?
            Sugar Ray: Yeah, thats when you were born and the doctor slapped you on the ass.
            Quick: Yes, thats the last ass whipping I recall. And I'm looking for him.

Comment

• Peerless
              Football Immortal
              • May 2004

Originally posted by Momentum
              That's it. Im done with Shannahan.
              Yup, I also disliked the pick of Clarett.

Comment

Working...
              X