Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderhaterinaz
    Two other observations:
    - He drafts for need too much instead of grabbing the best player
    - He keeps forgetting to consider character and thus keeps getting burned (Dale Carter, Daryl Gardener, Maurice Clarett, etc)

I just wanted to point out that drafting for need is pretty much what everyone does unless someone highly rated falls down a round or two for some reason (like Clinton Portis).

Also, only Clarett was a draft pick, of the names you mentioned.

While I do not think Shanahan is a great drafter, the reasons you give do not support that argument.

Quote Originally Posted by raiderhaterinaz
    As much as I love Shanahan, I have to agree that he is a poor drafter. He drafts in an arrogant way - deciding who he wants and taking them with little regard for what others think or in what round they realistically would go. There would be no problem with that, if he were right most of the time and drafted better than everyone else, but he is very often wrong and wastes many draft picks. I have often thought he would be more successful just looking at Kiper's player rankings and taking the highest ranked player remaining on the list. It would save a lot of scouting money too. Of course, that will never happen.

Two other observations:
    - He drafts for need too much instead of grabbing the best player
    - He keeps forgetting to consider character and thus keeps getting burned (Dale Carter, Daryl Gardener, Maurice Clarett, etc)

why should any team go by Mel Kipers player rankings?

Mel Kiper is an idiot.

and.....GM's know more about drafting and ranking players than Mel Kiper.