Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry NASCAR not a sport-----I think NOT!!!!!

Originally posted by Jared
    While this is discussion for some other day, I know Richard Petty is great guy, but I (and a lot of others) do not consider NASCAR a sport, thus making eliminating him as a sport hero.

But, yes, staying until there is no one left asking for an autograph is a heck of a nice thing to do.

At the time though, NASCAR was much, much lower on the national profile than it is now. Open wheel racing was much more popular (i.e. CART). Even boxing was more popular. Today, I think it would be damn near impossible to do that, since NASCAR has grown so much.
    OK, this was in the Jake Plummer is a bad guy thread and I just HAD to say something. In fact, and of course this is nothing personal against Jared, I love Jared, he is one of the nicest people on this board (smooch, smooch on the buttocks ) BUT when I read this my head almost popped off.

How can you say NASCAR is not a sport!!!!! Is it because you think it's not a team oriented sport, or because there is no ball involved, or because you don't think it takes any physical strength or endurance? I mean, please let me know what your reasoning is.

Also, I need to know if you have ever been to a NASCAR race in person. Because for those who have never been in person, you cannot judge this sport, yes I said sport, without seeing it live. If you are going by what you see on TV, you are being misled. This is by far one of the most exciting sporting events to see in person.

One more question, do you consider golf, tennis and fishing sports?

Without knowing your answers, I am still going to make my rant about NASCAR.

1. NASCAR is a TEAM sport. The driver could not do it without a crew, a staff, owners, sponsers, etc. etc. There is so much that goes into racing, if you haver never been behind the scenes, you could never begin to fathom.

2. As far as it not being tough, I would love to see anyone of you, or your "sport" stars get in a NASCAR and drive 500 miles at speeds sometimes in excess of 200 mph's. It takes strength, stamina, endurance and great physical ability and talent. Not any Joe Schmo can become a great race car driver (and I say this because I do not want to limit this to just NASCAR, all auto racing to me is a sport, have you ever watched an F-1 race........WOW).

These men (and women) risk there lives for this SPORT. The greatest NASCAR driver to ever live (IMHO) died for this sport. And for those of you who dont know who I am talking about, I am talking about THE one and only, #3, - The Intimidator - Dale Earnhardt.

One of the greatest race car drivers ever, Ayrton Senna, F-1 driver, died racing. This list goes on with names of great drivers who died racing their cars. If that isnt love for what you do, I dont know what is.

I would love to go on and on, but I have work (damn thing is always cutting into my time on this board). I am sure I will have more to say after I get some responses.

And I want to make this clear. I did not grow up a NASCAR fan, I did not grow up in the South. I am a Yankee, born and bred. Lived and raised my whole life in CT (until moving to Okla 6 yrs ago) but I liked NASCAR before moving. I will say this, if you havent been to a race, that is the only reason you cant appreciate it for what it really is. I urge you to try and see one if you havent, I promise you wont be disappointed.

Sounds good to me!
    Rivers, Suck it long suck it hard.

You too Cutler.

Well.... coming from an area where Nascar is huge...I think it's as overated as....cycling!

Cycling is a sport...but no one cares to watch it!

Originally posted by CrazyAsian
    Well.... coming from an area where Nascar is huge...I think it's as overated as....cycling!

Cycling is a sport...but no one cares to watch it!
    Well at least you called it a sport, but as far as no one wanting to watch it, NASCAR is the fastest growing spectator sport today. EVERY race sells out and the tracks hold anywhere from 75,000 to 150,000 people, sounds to me like people are watching.

And don't ask why I am jumping all over this, I really couldnt tell you. NASCAR hasnt met as much to me since Dale died. It broke my heart and I know it will never be the same for me. It's not like following a team, when your driver retires (or dies) its hard to build a passion for another. I love Jr. cause he is Jr. but it's still not the same

ooh!!! taking left turns all day! exciting!!!! sorry, but nascar is not my sport, if it even is a sport

If you take what I have to say seriously, then I'm embarrassed for you.

Re: NASCAR not a sport-----I think NOT!!!!!

Originally posted by orangenblue420
    OK, this was in the Jake Plummer is a bad guy thread and I just HAD to say something. In fact, and of course this is nothing personal against Jared, I love Jared, he is one of the nicest people on this board (smooch, smooch on the buttocks ) BUT when I read this my head almost popped off.

How can you say NASCAR is not a sport!!!!! Is it because you think it's not a team oriented sport, or because there is no ball involved, or because you don't think it takes any physical strength or endurance? I mean, please let me know what your reasoning is.

Also, I need to know if you have ever been to a NASCAR race in person. Because for those who have never been in person, you cannot judge this sport, yes I said sport, without seeing it live. If you are going by what you see on TV, you are being misled. This is by far one of the most exciting sporting events to see in person.

One more question, do you consider golf, tennis and fishing sports?

Without knowing your answers, I am still going to make my rant about NASCAR.

1. NASCAR is a TEAM sport. The driver could not do it without a crew, a staff, owners, sponsers, etc. etc. There is so much that goes into racing, if you haver never been behind the scenes, you could never begin to fathom.

2. As far as it not being tough, I would love to see anyone of you, or your "sport" stars get in a NASCAR and drive 500 miles at speeds sometimes in excess of 200 mph's. It takes strength, stamina, endurance and great physical ability and talent. Not any Joe Schmo can become a great race car driver (and I say this because I do not want to limit this to just NASCAR, all auto racing to me is a sport, have you ever watched an F-1 race........WOW).

These men (and women) risk there lives for this SPORT. The greatest NASCAR driver to ever live (IMHO) died for this sport. And for those of you who dont know who I am talking about, I am talking about THE one and only, #3, - The Intimidator - Dale Earnhardt.

One of the greatest race car drivers ever, Ayrton Senna, F-1 driver, died racing. This list goes on with names of great drivers who died racing their cars. If that isnt love for what you do, I dont know what is.

I would love to go on and on, but I have work (damn thing is always cutting into my time on this board). I am sure I will have more to say after I get some responses.

And I want to make this clear. I did not grow up a NASCAR fan, I did not grow up in the South. I am a Yankee, born and bred. Lived and raised my whole life in CT (until moving to Okla 6 yrs ago) but I liked NASCAR before moving. I will say this, if you havent been to a race, that is the only reason you cant appreciate it for what it really is. I urge you to try and see one if you havent, I promise you wont be disappointed.

Wow, a lot of things.

1) Whatever I say, do not take it personally, because I doubt I will change your mind, and I doubt you will change mind. SO let's have a friendly discussion.

2) My definiton of a sport is something that invloves more physical activity and strategy against another human being than NASCAR provides. Even in team sports, there are still individual battles waged for the good of the team (in theory. SOme players are selfish and egotistical, but that is another discussion entirely). So, even though NASCAR has a crew and a driver, going aroung in left turns for 4 hours as fast as one can seems to be lacking strategy and some sort of direct physical skill matchup with another human being. Just my definition, which I actually had to think about in a college philosophy course way back when, something titled Games, sports and war or something, about how mankind has always had some kind of game or comepetitions......again, another discussion for another time.

3) yes, I have attented races. Too many for my tastes, but hey. I grew up about 7 miles from Nazareth International Raceway in Nazareth, PA. Home of the Andretti family. Very nice people. I have encountered Mario and Michael numerous times doing normal domestic things with their wives.....while driving their Lamborghinis! :-) I also attended and then worked at a summer camp about 1.5 miles away from Pocono International Speedway. Twice a summer every summer from when I was 10 until I was 21, the camp used to drag us there for the races.......SIGH. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZ

Wasted days that I will never get back, in my opinion. Too loud, too many drunk people, too hot, too loud, too boring, did I mention too loud? Not appealing. I am not a gearhead, so maybe that's it. About the only thing I hate more than having to clean or work on my car is cleaning the bathroom or the cat litter. God made mechanics for a reason! :-)

After college I got a job at a Country radio station in Wilkes-Barre, PA which is about 35 miles from Pocono, and got to go to the races with a media pass, which was more fun, because I got to go into the garages and help record the interviews, and BS with the TV crews who were basically doing the same job as me, only for TV (recording, editing, producing, whatever you want to call it). I also went on our winner bus, and seeing how excited our listeners were was cool, but then I would go find my fave local bar in the Poconos (when you work on a summer camp staff, you get to know all the cool local places, where the NASCAR tourists don't go) and catch a baseball game or something while the race was in progress.

So yes, I have been to probably 30 races in my life, and not one has ever been interesting to me. I actually went on the air on overnights because I was tired of going to those races with my station, and overnighters weren't required to be there! I slept all day long.

3) Going 150+ MPH in a car ain't hard. NASCAR experience in Florida (or Carolina?) lets people do that. (or used to anyway)Now, 5 hours? Yeah, that would be tough. I'd fall asleep. Driving 5 hours straight is boring to me. I did do that one lap at 163, and you don't even realize how fast you are going because those aren't really 'stock' cars. Now I'd be a hell of a lot more impressed if they actually took cars off the lot and converted them, but they are built strictly for racing, and they go....fast! Again, I have been lucky and blessed that I work in a field that allows me to go with winners on these things, and I certainly know an opportuinity to do something unique when I see it, even if just to say I did it.

You asked if I consider golf, tennis, and fishing sports. The answers are no, yes, and no respectively. Fishing barely qualifies as activity to me.

Maybe its my more urban background, but until I go to college, I never even knew anyone who went fishing. I used to flip thru and see fishing shows on TV and wonder "Who would watch other people fish?"

The risk involved does not factor into my equation of whether it is a sport. Anytme you decide to do anything, there is always the risk of physical injury, even just going for a jog.

Do you disagree with my comments about NASCAR's popularity in the 70's vs today?

And in my opinion, the most dominant racer ever was Richard Petty. I know he won something like 200 races, which is so far ahead of the next person, its ridiculous. Its like comparing Jerry Rice to every other reciever, or Jimi Hendrix to every other rock guitarist. No one is even in the same plane of existence with that guy. I think he might be an alien! :-)

I hope this gives you a better idea of my feelings toward NASCAR and racing in general.

And you had no way of knowing that EVERYONE always uses that "go to a race first' arguement with me. I have, and I still don't like it.

Peace

I agree Nascar is def not a sport. LOL
    [IMG]http://blackbear.mine.nu/jamming/view.php/9.png[/IMG]

Well first let me start out by saying I went a little off topic by trying to convince you to like NASCAR when I was really trying to convince you that it is a sport. I see that you have attended many a race (my first ever NASCAR race was at Pocono and I actually got to meet Darryl Waltrip, Ernie Irvan and a couple others cause they were staying in the same hotel as us, it was cool)). Being from Ct, Pocono was the closest until Loudon NH was built. I will add this, those are probably the two most boring tracks on the circuit with the exception of the road courses. A race at Indy or Texas or Dover or Talladega (not that you havent been there, you probably have) is one to see. But if you have been to so many and still dont like it, you never will. So in the future if you ever have to go.......give me a call I will be happy to take your place.

Back to the sport issue.

2) My definiton of a sport is something that invloves more physical activity and strategy against another human being than NASCAR provides. Even in team sports, there are still individual battles waged for the good of the team (in theory. SOme players are selfish and egotistical, but that is another discussion entirely). So, even though NASCAR has a crew and a driver, going aroung in left turns for 4 hours as fast as one can seems to be lacking strategy and some sort of direct physical skill matchup with another human being. Just my definition, which I actually had to think about in a college philosophy course way back when, something titled Games, sports and war or something, about how mankind has always had some kind of game or comepetitions......again, another discussion for another time.

Strategy wins NASCAR races every week. Fuel amounts, pit stops (when to take them, how many tires, how much fuel). When a driver is on the track he must use strategy to determine when to pass, if to pass, who to hook up with, not to get caught out of the draft. I believe there is so much more involved than just turning left.

3) Going 150+ MPH in a car ain't hard. NASCAR experience in Florida (or Carolina?) lets people do that

No it aint, but it gets a little harder when you are an inch from the car in front of you, have a car touching your bumber and there are forty of you stuffed inside a large cereal bowl.

Too loud, too many drunk people, too hot, too loud, too boring, did I mention too loud?

Hmmmmmm? Loud and drunk.......sounds like a he!! of a time to me But seriously, the one main reason I love racing is the loudness, so to speak. I love "feeling" the noise. My first race I was told to wear ear plugs when I got close to the fence. I did, but immediately took them out and have never worn any since. I love standing by the fence as the whole entire pack drives by. To me it is one of the most intense feelings ever.......I cant think of another SPORT that you can actually feel.

And yes I agree with you on the popularity of the SPORT today as compared to the 70's, there is no question there.

As far as the Kings 200 wins, it was back when they raced 3-4 times as many races per season as they do now. So there is no way that any driver will ever be able to surpass that record due to the fact that they dont race as many races these days. Also comparing any SPORTS figure from on era with one from another is really pointless because of the difference in the way the SPORT is played or the equipment used, etc. etc. But as far as Champioships goes Dale and the King are tied at the top with 7.

I do envy all the races you have been to, I wish I could have seen as many. And I know this sounds lame, but if I ever had so much money I didnt have to work, one of my desires is to get a kick a$$ mobile home and tour the entire NASCAR circuit for a whole season. Again, the loud and the drunk infield parties is where I wanna be (and no I have not shown my **** and will never be drunk enough to) but its fun watching loud mouthed inbred goobers get drunk and make fools of themselves. Oh wait, I just gotta look out my window to see that these days.........LOL

Thanks Jared, I really enjoyed this conversation/debate with you (and hope to continue it for a little while longer anyway). You really are a nice guy (again with the butt smooching) but seriously, its nice to have an intelligent adult debate about SPORTS w/o name calling and personal slandering, ya know. Maybe when we are in other threads where theses guys go off on each other, we can post a link to this thread and show em how its done.

Peace out my brother!!!!!

Driving a car is not a sport
    [IMG]http://blackbear.mine.nu/jamming/view.php/9.png[/IMG]

Originally posted by Crazie
    Driving a car is not a sport

OK, I will get a little snotty here. If you are going to become part of the debate, bring something more to the table, please. A debate means you come to the table with your reasoning on why you feel the way you do.

sport ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sprt, sprt)
    n.

Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
    A particular form of this activity.
    An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
    An active pastime; recreation.

Most people don't consider driving as "physical". The presence of a car adds to the disassociation between the viewer and the driver, eliminating the much needed connection that he, in fact (driver) is mortal as ourselves (viewers). Recent advancements in technology is overcoming that barrier, and NASCAR is becoming more popular.

Is it a sport? It is sporting, and competitive, so by this rational it is.

Golf, and Bowling fall into the same undefined category of "physical"
    ...And [sic 'he'] is given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth....

The definition of "sport" is the most argued term in the world. So you can't really lean on that as an excuse to call NASCAR a sport or not a sport.
    [color=orange]Remember kids, being a grammar Nazi makes you cool![/color]

My best naps come from watching nascar on TV

Im not big on the "roundy - round" (thats what I call it) and I wont make a point to turn it on. But, I will say that ...

YES!!!! IT IS A SPORT!!!!!!!!!!

My man is a huge Earnhart fan #3(God rest his soul) & #8. He will watch a race and I have sat right there and watched it too. I follow it enough to be interested in sitting through a few hours.

In fact, I just threw a Surprise B-day party for my guy and all the decorations was #3 & #8. (although our Game room is all in red & blk with Pictures, Flags, Plaques etc... already, 24/7. everything to do with #3 & #8) It looks cool, its a guy room. I got the rest of the house. lol

NASCAR fans... I got your back.

What?!! NASCAR NOT A SPORT?!!!
    Last edited by #84FAN; 12-10-2003 at 12:30 PM.